Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Perhaps this was a legitimate emotional outburst. I believe that GG did the same thing last year around this time. You can only go to that well so many times before it becomes stale.

I wonder if he should have done this in the dressing room. Most of my coaches would lose their minds in the room where they would be louder. Doing so in an arena that has over 15,000 seats makes that much harder. Then again, he wouldn't really have had the ability to swing the stick like that. Speaking of which, he really should have consulted Smith in terms of how to properly break a stick with dramatic effect. I could watch Smith smash sticks for hours. He does the lumberjack swing really well. GG just did more of a Tonya Harding wind up. I want lumberjack smash. I give this a 6.4.

Then there would be no tape to show on sports sites to make it appear he cares.

Remember him talking about how he doesn't go in the dressing room during or after games.

So much desperation to keep this job or find 1 in the future. :(

47 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Weird. Kinda looks like a Soviet version of Spiderman walking in, and just turning around hardly even noticing the kid trashing the place. 

That's Dougie Hamilton dressed up like Deadpool...   He was going to do a photobomb, but it looks like he decided to just stay out of Gully's way...

Duhatsek's take in The Athletic is that GG's tirade was, "great theatre, and probably a little calculated".

He goes on to describe a practice that was better attended than usual due to reporters trying to find out about Jagr.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but I enjoy respected journalists that were actually there.

A bit of a different perspective.

I'd link, but the Athletic is a subscription rag (that I really enjoy).

The fact that he doesn't go into the locker room after and during the game really bother me. I always want to see my coach in the locker room before, during and after the game. I don't really cared if he is upset or elated, but I want to see his emotion and want to see what he thinks of the game or my performance. That's how you connected with a coach.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Duhatsek's take in The Athletic is that GG's tirade was, "great theatre, and probably a little calculated".

He goes on to describe a practice that was better attended than usual due to reporters trying to find out about Jagr.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but I enjoy respected journalists that were actually there.

A bit of a different perspective.

I'd link, but the Athletic is a subscription rag (that I really enjoy).

I find it a little surprising that a coach that shows zero emotion in a game where we are having our butts handed to us, can all of a sudden lose it in a practice.He fed the media by saying they would make an announcement about Jagr's future Friday, so yeah, every media outlet would be there to wait for it.  I don't care that he did it as much as when he did it.  As you say, seems a bit calculated.

46 minutes ago, DHT said:

The fact that he doesn't go into the locker room after and during the game really bother me. I always want to see my coach in the locker room before, during and after the game. I don't really cared if he is upset or elated, but I want to see his emotion and want to see what he thinks of the game or my performance. That's how you connected with a coach.

He doesn't go into the room AFTER the game only.

Time to end the rumour that any coach wouldn't go into the room between periods.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I find it a little surprising that a coach that shows zero emotion in a game where we are having our butts handed to us, can all of a sudden lose it in a practice.He fed the media by saying they would make an announcement about Jagr's future Friday, so yeah, every media outlet would be there to wait for it.  I don't care that he did it as much as when he did it.  As you say, seems a bit calculated.

In true Gio form, he started his post-practice interview with almost a shout out to Kulstad:

"It is what it is".:lol:

56 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Practise is where he should lose it if its about "his" players not out o public display. Why do you have such a problem with a person that has a calm demeanor on the bench ?

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

He doesn't go into the room AFTER the game only.

Time to end the rumour that any coach wouldn't go into the room between periods.

Glad to hear that. I was under impression that he doesn't go to the locker room between period and that seems odd. Thanks for clarity.

48 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Practise is where he should lose it if its about "his" players not out o public display.

The clip of Gully losing it is being played regularly on a number of different sports shows...   It was even a hot topic on the Oilers radio show yesterday...   Gully knew that there was a lot of sports media people there to hear the "announcement on Jagr's future" he baited them with the day before...

It could not possibly have been put on any more of a public display, and it was not an accident...   It was a calculated move...

13 minutes ago, Carty said:

The clip of Gully losing it is being played regularly on a number of different sports shows...   It was even a hot topic on the Oilers radio show yesterday...   Gully knew that there was a lot of sports media people there to hear the "announcement on Jagr's future" he baited them with the day before...

It could not possibly have been put on any more of a public display, and it was not an accident...   It was a calculated move...

If you say so it must be true.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Practise is where he should lose it if its about "his" players not out o public display. Why do you have such a problem with a person that has a calm demeanor on the bench ?

Pure speculation.

I don't think people have a problem with a coach controlling his emotions. A lot, perhaps most, coaches tend to show self-discipline. GG, on the other hand, appears not to be controlling his emotions because he seems not to have much passion to control. That bothers me, and I suspect that is why some people are saying he doesn't seem to care. Of course, I cannot read his mind. That is why I say he seems not to be an emotional person. He comes across as a player centred assistant coach.

Yesterday, I posited that his outburst may be sincere. It did come across as staged though, as did his explanation of having an Irish temper or whatever. If some of us thought as much, I can only wonder what the players think. In the same post, I also jokingly put out a figure skating rating for the rant. I noticed that Chucky did the same. He was just smart enough to give him full marks. I think that says something about how the players really feel about the theatre performance and possibly the coach more generally. That was cheesy minor league stuff. It reminded me of when Harper looked at the polls leading up to the last federal election and did the cash register gimmick. Both are embarrassing as they are acts of desperation. I suspect that GG is in real trouble.

15 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Pure speculation.

I don't think people have a problem with a coach controlling his emotions. A lot, perhaps most, coaches tend to show self-discipline. GG, on the other hand, appears not to be controlling his emotions because he seems not to have much passion to control. That bothers me, and I suspect that is why some people are saying he doesn't seem to care. Of course, I cannot read his mind. That is why I say he seems not to be an emotional person. He comes across as a player centred assistant coach.

Yesterday, I posited that his outburst may be sincere. It did come across as staged though, as did his explanation of having an Irish temper or whatever. If some of us thought as much, I can only wonder what the players think. In the same post, I also jokingly put out a figure skating rating for the rant. I noticed that Chucky did the same. He was just smart enough to give him full marks. I think that says something about how the players really feel about the theatre performance and possibly the coach more generally. That was cheesy minor league stuff. It reminded me of when Harper looked at the polls leading up to the last federal election and did the cash register gimmick. Both are embarrassing as they are acts of desperation. I suspect that GG is in real trouble.

Really ? you question whether a coach as the passion to be in the position. There are only so many head coach positions and I would dare say these guys all know their hockey and have passion for the game. Communication is the key to successful coaching or management for that matter, if you are a lousy communicator it becomes obvious and if this is the case between GG and his players then BT needs to make a change. I doubt it happens mid-season but it could happen offseason.

18 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

I would be lying if I said that I didn't spend the better part of the day wondering specifically what inane comment actually set him off... Where's Dave Elston when you need him? 

Love. 

Capture.PNG.e5e6e50259d230cb83175690226da534.PNG

1 hour ago, Carty said:

I disagree.  That was not an act nor calculated, that was true emotion in the heat of the moment.  My understanding is that he warned them nicely early in practise about what he expected that day and moving forward.  GG realizes its time to get down to business and he probably did not like the goofing off or uninterested participation at the practice.  I’ll give him that one.  Having a few extra butt’s in the stands probably didn’t help as GG was probably a little embarrassed by his team’s attitude after a big win.  He says it time after time, “its an every day league”.

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

GG realizes its time to get down to business

He should have realized that a long time ago...

I disagree.  That was not an act nor calculated, that was true emotion in the heat of the moment.

No doubt it was true emotion in the heat of the moment....   No doubt that he is on the hot seat either...   It is the timing and the extra media presence that he attracted with an anticipated statement that makes it suspect...

My understanding is that he warned them nicely early in practise about what he expected that day and moving forward

Maybe it would help more if he had gone into the locker room after the game (he says that he doesn't) and said something along the lines of "Good game tonight, but we will still have some things to work on during the practice in the morning, so make sure that you get a good nights sleep" and also discuss the things that they did well, and the things that they didn't...   I am a believer that you need to address the team after every game, and so do most coaches...   Not doing so is a failure to communicate while things are still fresh...   and that can have an effect on players attitudes and over time the general atmosphere in the room...

Babcock is animated on the bench.  He lets the player know if they miss an assignment.  He lets the refs know that he thought it was a bad call.

Not saying he's the best out there, but I do like to see the coach engaged.  I like the idea of immediate feedback after a game, over just letting them have it at practice.  Do both, if it's needed.  Reminding them after a win or a loss that they need to keep focus.  The LA game was a prime example of letting a team get back in it.  Not a collapse at all, just not the same drive as the 2nd.  The ends of periods are a huge concern for this team.  

They obviously need to practice the PP a whole lot more.  That is the biggest concern for this team.  5 PP's against a team you scored 4 times at evens.  Not many shots and no goals.  That is concerning.      

2 hours ago, Carty said:

I tend to agree with this article and I would like to see GG incorporate these bullet points.

• Be prepared and expect the same of your team.
  • Adjust your style to each of your employees’ needs. What works for one person could be detrimental to another. Figure out the best approach for each by watching your employees in action.
  • Choose encouragement over criticism; but when you must criticize, give feedback as soon after the event as possible. Be honest but compassionate, then move on.
  • Have high expectations. Believe in your team.
  • Don’t ignore or sideline underperformers — your team is only as good as your weakest member. Instead, help them improve.
  • Make progress tangible. Set clear goals and milestones, and celebrate when you hit them.

11 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I tend to agree with this article and I would like to see GG incorporate these bullet points.

• Be prepared and expect the same of your team.
  • Adjust your style to each of your employees’ needs. What works for one person could be detrimental to another. Figure out the best approach for each by watching your employees in action.
  • Choose encouragement over criticism; but when you must criticize, give feedback as soon after the event as possible. Be honest but compassionate, then move on.
  • Have high expectations. Believe in your team.
  • Don’t ignore or sideline underperformers — your team is only as good as your weakest member. Instead, help them improve.
  • Make progress tangible. Set clear goals and milestones, and celebrate when you hit them.

I would say #3 is the only point he has been accused of with valid information.

Archived