Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

The total implementation and vision of play comes from who? PP is designed by who? The 5 V 5 play PK is from who? When was the last time we got a greasy goal? We have lost the last 2 games based on greasy goals and crashing the net. See I have never been a believer of puck luck or good breaks. You have a practice where you hit the cross bar, what happened the last few games, well Blockchain me we hit the cross bar cause that's how they were prepared. We don't get greasy goals cause they don't practice it, what a Blockchaining revelation we can't defend well in those situations cause that's how they were prepare. Luck favors those best prepared, we are not.

So yes the person's in charge of preparing this club for play are the coaches. The players are playing the way they have been prepared.

I thought we played a good game last night, even the last few before this one. There was the most traffic in front of the oppositions net as I've seen all season. We could have easily been on the winning side of this game and a few others. Go Flames Go onto VAN.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I am usually as critical as anyone about GG. The way I see it he fails to prepare the team properly. This is especially so at the start of  seasons.

He has some good points. but at other times he leaves me bewildered. Let me give an example.

He came here as a D system first willing to coach a possession game. His last position being an assistant for the Canucks. This year he complains he has to teach his system all over again. Well dohh.. young team learning a new system should be ongoing.

Another thing that really bothers me is he does not go into the dressing room after the game. Does not want to talk to the guys in anger.. Well why the hell not??? Still fresh in your mind.. are the guys egos that frail you can't call them out now and then???

In the end, the times he has been able to motivate the team, are when he shows some emotion.. He rarely shows that emotion however...

I am not quite ready to give up on GG. He has some good points but those are overshadowed by his difficulties. Difficulties being mostly motivating the team on a consistent basis.

Hard to know why he would not address the team after games other than each result is it's own. If you have a BTC session after every game it gets old fast and maybe this is what he is trying to avoid. We have to remember they have 82 games to get through together. As far as motivation from the coach this can also apply, it is the players that have to get themselves up for games. It isn't GG job to rah rah these guys every pre-game. I never had to have a coach motivate my effort for game day. Most of this stuff should be practise day stuff.

We can say his systems are not working or there are to many breakdowns happening on the ice but there is the reality that some of these players are not executing as they should. How do you make this team better each and every day has to be the goal. I see the team getting better other than the usual culprits who IMO have become unreliable like Brodie. Our forward group is still a work in progress and they are not the best passing group I have ever seen. How may times did Gaudreau cough up the puck with poor decisions and flimsy back hand attempted passes 5, 6, 7 ? He has to stop this stupidity, not to mention he was no where to be found last night. Rant over

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Another thing that really bothers me is he does not go into the dressing room after the game. Does not want to talk to the guys in anger.. Well why the hell not??? Still fresh in your mind.. are the guys egos that frail you can't call them out now and then???

21st century NHL!!!

Playdough and coloring books between periods.

I'll use Brodie as an example.

Under BH, he was a + player.  He and Gio made up one of the best tandems in the NHL.  We lose Gio and still manage to make the playoffs, solely because TJ was able to stabilize a shaky defense with Engelland, Wideman and Russell.  The following year is a bust, but he still manages to remain a plus player.

Under GG, Brodie has his worst +/- season and his offense was down considerably.  He's off to a bad defensive start already and his offense will be down again.  LHS-RHS balance is awesome if it actually helps the team.  When TC picks players for their teams, they try for that balance, but not if the player is better on his off side.  They pick the best from that position.

I'm going to stop ragging on Gully for a particular game and focus on what he is doing/not doing to improve.  The PP sucks, well do something about it.  Take responsibility for not doing something.  JH makes a risky decision to turn back (one he uses about 10 times a game) and it leads to a winning goal.  Boohoohoo.  The PP is the failure to win that and every game recently.  Nothing else.  

The in-game adjustments are to move Brouwer to the PP when the 1st unit fails.  Bench a 4th liner to put JH out there.  Try JH with Janko and Hathaway for 1/2 a game at most.  Leave the 3M line intact even when they are under water.  

Strangely enough. when we don't have last change, we play better.  The home team coach will try to get top lines against 4th lines.  All Gully can do is play the 4th line less.  Somehow we win more than we lose.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'll use Brodie as an example.

Under BH, he was a + player.  He and Gio made up one of the best tandems in the NHL.  We lose Gio and still manage to make the playoffs, solely because TJ was able to stabilize a shaky defense with Engelland, Wideman and Russell.  The following year is a bust, but he still manages to remain a plus player.

Under GG, Brodie has his worst +/- season and his offense was down considerably.  He's off to a bad defensive start already and his offense will be down again.  LHS-RHS balance is awesome if it actually helps the team.  When TC picks players for their teams, they try for that balance, but not if the player is better on his off side.  They pick the best from that position.

I'm going to stop ragging on Gully for a particular game and focus on what he is doing/not doing to improve.  The PP sucks, well do something about it.  Take responsibility for not doing something.  JH makes a risky decision to turn back (one he uses about 10 times a game) and it leads to a winning goal.  Boohoohoo.  The PP is the failure to win that and every game recently.  Nothing else.  

The in-game adjustments are to move Brouwer to the PP when the 1st unit fails.  Bench a 4th liner to put JH out there.  Try JH with Janko and Hathaway for 1/2 a game at most.  Leave the 3M line intact even when they are under water.  

Strangely enough. when we don't have last change, we play better.  The home team coach will try to get top lines against 4th lines.  All Gully can do is play the 4th line less.  Somehow we win more than we lose.

Was that Boohoohoo directed at me ? I sure hope not.

We all know you could run this team better than GG we get it. These players all need to be better at what they are suppose to be doing. I was watching last night and all I could think is what a lousy passing team we are. Chipping it here and there hoping your team mate is there to pick it up. I think it's time the players started answering the call on the PP, it isn't complicated. In regards to Brodie the guy has always been a defensive liability(ALWAYS) I don't care what his += is and I would have traded him  years ago. The team would be better defensively without him.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't have the time to go through previous games to assess this with any detail, but it would be absolutely fascinating to run the numbers. It would partly explain why we play poorer at home. If we are less successful when we have last change, then the case for arguing that his coaching is problematic is much more solid. Either that, or every other team puts out the wrong players against us.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

We all know you could run this team better than GG we get it. These players all need to be better at what they are suppose to be doing. I was watching last night and all I could think is what a lousy passing team we are. Chipping it here and there hoping your team mate is there to pick it up. I think it's time the players started answering the call on the PP, it isn't complicated. In regards to Brodie the guy has always been a defensive liability(ALWAYS) I don't care what his += is and I would have traded him  years ago. The team would be better defensively without him.

There it is again. 

All I did was point out the failings of the coaching and you resort to insults.  

No worries.  A monkey could achieve the same results.  Line up the blueline by handedness.  Check.  Use the same PP setup.  Check.  Roll lines according to numbers 1-4.  Check.  No need to follow the game.  

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There it is again. 

All I did was point out the failings of the coaching and you resort to insults.  

No worries.  A monkey could achieve the same results.  Line up the blueline by handedness.  Check.  Use the same PP setup.  Check.  Roll lines according to numbers 1-4.  Check.  No need to follow the game.  

I asked you a question

16 hours ago, MAC331 said:

And here we go again. Why is it that someone else makes points and right away its about you! Than you start the immature snot nosed remarks and insults. Some times your comments have some merit but if some one disagrees with you you have a melt down. Your pretty bold behind that computer screen. I have news for you, not everything is about you and if you only knew how little people thought about you I think it would destroy your ego. We all have one thing in common we are fans of the FLAMES. Opinions may vary but who cares, I see it one way you see it another. You don't have to try and bully your way to get others to agree with your side.

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

A monkey could achieve the same results.  Line up the blueline by handedness.  Check.  Use the same PP setup.  Check.  Roll lines according to numbers 1-4.  Check.

Even the monkey didn't like some of Gully's choices...

• Image result for chimpanzee animated gif

23 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

And here we go again. Why is it that someone else makes points and right away its about you! Than you start the immature snot nosed remarks and insults. Some times your comments have some merit but if some one disagrees with you you have a melt down. Your pretty bold behind that computer screen. I have news for you, not everything is about you and if you only knew how little people thought about you I think it would destroy your ego. We all have one thing in common we are fans of the FLAMES. Opinions may vary but who cares, I see it one way you see it another. You don't have to try and bully your way to get others to agree with your side.

Amazing how things get interpreted over the internet. I asked a question and not of you so I have no idea why you feel compelled to shoot your mouth off.

Mind your own business.

You must have liked some of what you witnessed last night from the team, why don't you comment on some of what you saw.

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Amazing how things get interpreted over the internet. I asked a question and not of you so I have no idea why you feel compelled to shoot your mouth off.

Mind your own business.

You must have liked some of what you witnessed last night from the team, why don't you comment on some of what you saw.

Well you are either blind or oblivious to your comments. Once again your bold and brave behind that computer screen. I am fine with comments whether fore or against anyone's point of view, have a huge issue with bullying.  Your on a open forum, everyone can read it, everyone can respond.  So if you are having an issue with the response back, just be more cautious with the choice of words.

12 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Well you are either blind or oblivious to your comments. Once again your bold and brave behind that computer screen. I am fine with comments whether fore or against anyone's point of view, have a huge issue with bullying.  Your on a open forum, everyone can read it, everyone can respond.  So if you are having an issue with the response back, just be more cautious with the choice of words.

How I'm I bullying ? I asked a question of the poster who is always asking us not to be snotty and snarking then adds a dose of his own. As far as hiding behind my computer what would you like to do meet in a parking lot somewhere ? As far as what I say on here, sometimes it is a reaction to all the negative comments on every aspect of the team some fans claim as their own. You hate the coach we get that but we suggest changes and have you tell us none it matters so long as this coach is here. I think we best just stay off each others posts especially where there is zero compatibility of opinion. CYA

7 hours ago, MAC331 said:

How I'm I bullying ? I asked a question of the poster who is always asking us not to be snotty and snarking then adds a dose of his own. As far as hiding behind my computer what would you like to do meet in a parking lot somewhere ? As far as what I say on here, sometimes it is a reaction to all the negative comments on every aspect of the team some fans claim as their own. You hate the coach we get that but we suggest changes and have you tell us none it matters so long as this coach is here. I think we best just stay off each others posts especially where there is zero compatibility of opinion. CYA

1)You have to be condensing to others who disagree with your opinion, you don't see it but others have made comments on it regularly.

2) If you wish we can meet don't matter to me, was always one to deal with things in person anyway. 

3) This is where the problem occurs. You over react in and get defensive and the more people disagree the more condescending you become.

Hate is a very strong word I do not have a strong emotional angry reflex, possible do to the discipline in certain sports I compete in bu . Regardless. I don't hate GG, I do believe he is not the person for the job and have not since day one, you do and that's fine. I think you once before mentioned the same thing of not communicating, but you find it difficult to not have the last word. I will take responsibility for commenting on your comments to other posters, just find there is no need to be rude to others to gain attention.

11 hours ago, tmac70 said:

1)You have to be condensing to others who disagree with your opinion, you don't see it but others have made comments on it regularly.

2) If you wish we can meet don't matter to me, was always one to deal with things in person anyway. 

3) This is where the problem occurs. You over react in and get defensive and the more people disagree the more condescending you become.

Hate is a very strong word I do not have a strong emotional angry reflex, possible do to the discipline in certain sports I compete in bu . Regardless. I don't hate GG, I do believe he is not the person for the job and have not since day one, you do and that's fine. I think you once before mentioned the same thing of not communicating, but you find it difficult to not have the last word. I will take responsibility for commenting on your comments to other posters, just find there is no need to be rude to others to gain attention.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Go Flames Go CYA all

Professional sports, especially ice hockey, are hard on coaches. That is why they get paid rather well. Off the top of my head, the Flames organization has been pretty conservative when dealing with coaches. They tend to let the coach ride out the season and evaluate them afterwards. I have always thought that was a sound way of dealing with staff.

I am unable to make an intelligent argument about GG's future with the Flames. It seems to me that he makes some rather odd decisions that adversely affects outcomes. Having said that, he might be constrained by those higher up the food chain. As well, it could be that he is doing a solid job and the players are just not putting out the necessary effort. If memory serves, the longest losing streak we had was the year (circa) that we won the cup. We had the right players, the right coach, but we just couldn't get the wins. I thought it was a case of easy wins, followed by lazy playing, and then not getting wins that they deserved. I am sure that GG and BT are getting nervous about any meetings called by Burke in the immediate future.

For some reason the attitude of a coach like Lavi in Nashville who says he's always with his players to keep them from getting too high after a win or low after a loss > GG saying he doen't even go into the room.

How do you sense the mood without communicating?

Coaching isn't merely Xs & Os nor running line combinations in practice. If that was all there was to it we could go old school with a player/coach that has a sense of the how the players feel. Heck, the players know which line playing against the foes might be better suited but GG seems to feel he's got a better grasp on everything.

Maybe Gio needs to have a heart to heart discussion with BT.

There is a lot of talent on the Flames & used right they should have more "W"s.

28 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

For some reason the attitude of a coach like Lavi in Nashville who says he's always with his players to keep them from getting too high after a win or low after a loss > GG saying he doen't even go into the room.

Coaching isn't merely Xs & Os nor running line combinations in practice. If that was all there was to it we could go old school with a player/coach that has a sense of the how the players feel. Heck, the players know which line playing against the foes might be better suited but GG seems to feel he's got a better grasp on everything.

Tomlinson was on the radio in Vancouver talking about the old Jets years when he played with high profile scorers and went on a 15 game losing streak. 

He said they had Hawerchuk, Tkachuk and more, yet couldn’t score. Their mental game was off and he said you can’t underestimate the power of good coaching in the NHL. Tomlinson said they didn’t have the coach to get them out of the free fall.

Those who say coaches aren’t important... Even great scorers need to be. 

Does GG not going in seem reminiscent to what Tomlinson was describing?

51 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Coaching isn't merely Xs & Os nor running line combinations in practice. If that was all there was to it we could go old school with a player/coach that has a sense of the how the players feel

Sometimes some of Gully's stubborn coaching habits and what I see as a lack of having enough communication with players makes me wish that we had Reggie Dunlop coaching the team instead...

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Sometimes a good leader has to step up and point out what should be obvious to those at the top, but doesn't seem to be being noticed, before things get even worse...

I still think it should be a better team this year, not equal, or for that matter worse in a few key areas...   Like being stuck in a rut with an anemic PP (it took 24 PP's to get 1 lousy goal) and having repeated cluster09b9482128b9c506ecd227c579b7f1b0.pngs in the D zone that end up costing goals...   etc...

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I am not going to comment on keeping/changing the coach, but there is one thing that bothers me.  Someone mentioned that the reason GG doesn’t address the players after the game because he is emotional and doesn’t want to say something he will regret.  I hope that is not the case, because as a leader he needs to check his feelings at the door and deal with the task at hand.  I would hope that a person in his position could count to ten and have an adult discussion.  Someone who is that poor at communication can’t be a good leader. 

3 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

I am not going to comment on keeping/changing the coach, but there is one thing that bothers me.  Someone mentioned that the reason GG doesn’t address the players after the game because he is emotional and doesn’t want to say something he will regret.  I hope that is not the case, because as a leader he needs to check his feelings at the door and deal with the task at hand.  I would hope that a person in his position could count to ten and have an adult discussion.  Someone who is that poor at communication can’t be a good leader. 

If so unsure of yourself controlling your own emotions how in the world can you expect to lead any one.

Even @ fast food restaurants the boss has to set the pace.

GG might be best off in a mid level government job with 0 pressure.

BTW, I hear there are real coachs out there waiting for offers. Something has to be done to solve a season that looks less than what the talent says it should be,

38 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

If so unsure of yourself controlling your own emotions how in the world can you expect to lead any one.

Even @ fast food restaurants the boss has to set the pace.

GG might be best off in a mid level government job with 0 pressure.

BTW, I hear there are real coachs out there waiting for offers. Something has to be done to solve a season that looks less than what the talent says it should be,

That is my biggest issue, we have this team that has been together for how many years and we’re mostly together last, still trying to impliment a system, still trying to figure it out... 

with this talent, the system should be set and the players shouldn’t be struggling with it. 

Did they change something?

some say, Jankowski is new. He played the system in the A last year and is actually doing well in it now. 

Archived