Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

Maybe we should discuss everyone's philosophy on, "pairings".

That's been a common phrase in the industry for a good 3 years now.

How's that working out for us?

I believe some common phrase might have been, "we can put anyone with SeanJohn".

I've never been a fan.

How many times have we seen teams in the playoffs really get on it with the bottom 6 beefeaters? Pretty frequently.

If not for Tkachuk's emergence we'd have 2 beefeaters in the top 6, most likely.

The constant for me, is it doesn't work.

All 3 need equal skills, doesn't have to be the same set, but if you're in a top 6 role, it's not a fill-in thing.

We just keep getting fatter fingers to hold the dyke, err, umm, dike.:blink:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I believe some common phrase might have been, "we can put anyone with SeanJohn".

I've never been a fan.

How many times have we seen teams in the playoffs really get on it with the bottom 6 beefeaters? Pretty frequently.

If not for Tkachuk's emergence we'd have 2 beefeaters in the top 6, most likely.

All 3 need equal skills, doesn't have to be the same set, but if you're in a top 6 role, it's not a fill-in thing.

Maybe this year is not a great example.  Last year, Johnny and Monahan played well with an assortment of RW's.  This year, the two have struggled.  Not sure if that is from playing with Chaisson or Brouwer most of the season or just the players themselves.  

Sure, you could line up the OHL line and JH with Backs/Frolik, but that leaves a 3rd line of who?  Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer?  4th line of Bouma-Freddie-Ferland?  Ok, I'm sold with the top two lines for a bit.  Don't like the 4th becaue you are stuck with Ferland on RW.  Chaisson needs to sit in this case.    

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe this year is not a great example.  Last year, Johnny and Monahan played well with an assortment of RW's.  This year, the two have struggled.  Not sure if that is from playing with Chaisson or Brouwer most of the season or just the players themselves.  

Sure, you could line up the OHL line and JH with Backs/Frolik, but that leaves a 3rd line of who?  Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer?  4th line of Bouma-Freddie-Ferland?

Ok, I'm sold with the top two lines for a bit.  Don't like the 4th becaue you are stuck with Ferland on RW.  Chaisson needs to sit in this case.    

Yup. Beefeaters. Guys that can't play 18 mins/night, earn their 12 or get their 8.

And they don't get 2.2 or 3.25 if they don't earn it.

38 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I've never been a fan.

No. The problem is you need to find the right complimentary players for the line up youre looking for, while I agree they cant be mcgrattens, they dont need to be crosbys. If you look at pittsbugh they take crosby, malkin and kessel with their own lines, then they take players like bonino and hagelin to play with kessel at even strength. Do you know how many points bonino has for example? 22 points for bonino which isent much more then say chiasson at 15, I understand 7 points is a big difference, but hagelin kessels other running mate has 19. My point being pittsbugh doesnt even have pairings really, they take their high end skill spread it out across the line up only using them together on the PP, toronto is a very similar with the way they have been using matthews/marner. 

I dont think we need anything to be different, other then our young guys to get a bit more experience, and our D corp to be a little better at getting the puck up to the forwards. When you have a guy like wideman playing twenty minutes a night, and he struggles to get the puck out of his own zone you are going to be doing alot of defending. Watch a Pittsburgh game, they dont spend alot of time playing with puck before they transition. That is my biggest issue our bottom 3 defenders have been terrible at getting the puck up ice. 

Jh has had way more chances this year and putting way more pucks on net, his shooting percentage is way down, he will be fine. Sean monahan is still on pace for 30 last time I checked, I dont know in what world that is "struggling".

2 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

No. The problem is you need to find the right complimentary players for the line up youre looking for, while I agree they cant be mcgrattens, they dont need to be crosbys. If you look at pittsbugh they take crosby, malkin and kessel with their own lines, then they take players like bonino and hagelin to play with kessel at even strength. Do you know how many points bonino has for example? 22 points for bonino which isent much more then say chiasson at 15, I understand 7 points is a big difference, but hagelin kessels other running mate has 19. My point being pittsbugh doesnt even have pairings really, they take their high end skill spread it out across the line up only using them together on the PP, toronto is a very similar with the way they have been using matthews/marner. 

I dont think we need anything to be different, other then our young guys to get a bit more experience, and our D corp to be a little better at getting the puck up to the forwards. When you have a guy like wideman playing twenty minutes a night, and he struggles to get the puck out of his own zone you are going to be doing alot of defending. Watch a Pittsburgh game, they dont spend alot of time playing with puck before they transition. That is my biggest issue our bottom 3 defenders have been terrible at getting the puck up ice. 

Jh has had way more chances this year and putting way more pucks on net, his shooting percentage is way down, he will be fine. Sean monahan is still on pace for 30 last time I checked, I dont know in what world that is "struggling".

Jesus, man, that's like the worst finish ever.

I'm going to give a #$% about the Penguins now?

WTF, I hate the Penguins. Guess who won't win the Cup this year?

The Penguins.

You have to consider the Pens didn't promote their bottom 6, Hagelin etc...they brought up Rust and Sheary right into their top 6 with success.

That speaks volumes for ELC guys, and both made the team this year. Injuries actually helped them last year, because they were spiraling down the abyss.

But again, fornicate the Penguins, that was yesterday.

6 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I think keeping Stajan to bridge to Jankowski helps you cover off some of the effects of trading Backlund. Also I have to think Bennett after this season with another year's experience is a better C for us. We have a chance this off season to better our goaltending, better our defense and have a better group of forwards, I think this more than compensates for a loss of Backlund.

I think it sets us behind a year by trading Backlund. Johnny is dynamic, but I think he becomes less so when he will be the only player with his skills. 

I would hold on to Backlund, myself.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Jesus, man, that's like the worst finish ever.

I'm going to give a #$% about the Penguins now?

WTF, I hate the Penguins. Guess who won't win the Cup this year?

The Penguins.

You have to consider the Pens didn't promote their bottom 6, Hagelin etc...they brought up Rust and Sheary right into their top 6 with success.

That speaks volumes for ELC guys, and both made the team this year. Injuries actually helped them last year, because they were spiraling down the abyss.

But again, fornicate the Penguins, that was yesterday.

Guess who won the cup last year? 

It doesnt really mattter your feelings on the team, its the facts. 

Every coach in the NHL will say if a guy isent scoring but hes getting lots of chances, the goals will come, I dont know why its crazy to JH has had more chances this year then previously and mony is still on pace for 30.

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think it sets us behind a year by trading Backlund. Johnny is dynamic, but I think he becomes less so when he will be the only player with his skills. 

I would hold on to Backlund, myself.

For how long and what are you prepared to pay him ? What other positions suffer from a lack of the needed talent because you decided to keep one player ?

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

For how long and what are you prepared to pay him ? What other positions suffer from a lack of the needed talent because you decided to keep one player ?

I think Backs is worth keeping, his career has really progressed nicely and he's currently the "best" player on our team if u go off points. He's earned the $3.5-4 million range if not a bit more with his defensive skill. These types of 2 way centres are tough to find, I can't see the Flames letting him walk. 

23 minutes ago, rickross said:

I think Backs is worth keeping, his career has really progressed nicely and he's currently the "best" player on our team if u go off points. He's earned the $3.5-4 million range if not a bit more with his defensive skill. These types of 2 way centres are tough to find, I can't see the Flames letting him walk. 

He's earned a fair bit more than that. 

I think if his AAV doesn't start with a 6 you are lucky. He's worth 6 mill per on a long term deal. 

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think if his AAV doesn't start with a 6 you are lucky. He's worth 6 mill per on a long term deal. 

I already said that I was thinking up around 6m, frans neilsen got 5.25, and honestly backlund is probably better defensively then he is, but backlund is looking to have a 50 point season this year and maybe next year who knows. I dont see us having the cap space to resign backlund and then sign oshie in free agency, which is why I think we need to make a choice on which way we will go. I personally dont want backlund signed long term no matter how much I like the player, id rather trade him this offseason and get assets for him that will help us. I know this will leave us a center short, but im hoping that we have some clarity on bennett and janko by this summer so we can make a move like that.

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I can't remember how we got onto trades, but maybe we can get back to discussing GG here and trades in the Realistic Trades thread.

GG sucks.  There that should get it going again.  :lol:

Just kidding.  My beef is line juggling without giving a line any chance and usage of players that aren't working.

For example:

Bouma in the lineup after Hamilton played a decent game.

Brodie's inability to get shots on the PP.

Chaisson on the 3rd line with Bennett.

Wideman.

Just now, travel_dude said:

On a positive note I think GG is finally getting an grip and the respect of his players. When you are new coming in this takes time especially when you don't have a veteran coach resume. I know some were questioning the systems and a few other why questions to the slow start and struggles, this has something to do with it as well.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Backs is good but i'm not sure he's at the $6million mark just yet, he's close but I'd say he's still considered in the tier just below $6 million. I could see the Flames signing him to a $5.25 for 4 years type of deal. Plus I think we can get a bit of a hometown discount for Backs..Flames are all he's known. If he closes this season out strong then next year he might be able to command $6million but I think the Flames can sign him long term for under $6million

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Backs is good but i'm not sure he's at the $6million mark just yet, he's close but I'd say he's still considered in the tier just below $6 million. I could see the Flames signing him to a $5.25 for 4 years type of deal. Plus I think we can get a bit of a hometown discount for Backs..Flames are all he's known. If he closes this season out strong then next year he might be able to command $6million but I think the Flames can sign him long term for under $6million

Please move contract or trade discussions to the appropriate thread.  This thread is about the coach.

Last nights game against Nashville was less than ideal way to win, but I thought there were a couple of things that were encouraging. 

1. Was that after being up 4-1 and then going down 5-4, this team would have "crumpled" earlier in the season, but to stay with it and get the win shows some character and shows a want to win.

2. Both Ferland and Bennett stepped up for teammates, and to me that is huge, having guys playing for each other is a really good sign as the games just get tougher as we get closer to the playoffs.

I think both those things a great signs for this team down the stretch.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Last nights game against Nashville was less than ideal way to win, but I thought there were a couple of things that were encouraging. 

1. Was that after being up 4-1 and then going down 5-4, this team would have "crumpled" earlier in the season, but to stay with it and get the win shows some character and shows a want to win.

2. Both Ferland and Bennett stepped up for teammates, and to me that is huge, having guys playing for each other is a really good sign as the games just get tougher as we get closer to the playoffs.

I think both those things a great signs for this team down the stretch.

Agreed

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Just in case people still think Gulutzan isn't getting through to the players. That's a very impressive response to being called out. 

The people who hate GG, will still find ways to throw him overboard and get him fired. Ive said it all along this team is only getting better, and im curious to see what happens next year under GG.

• 2 weeks later...

Gulutzan was on Fan 590 Hockey Central at Noon today. Worth a listen as he breaks down what happened after the Montreal game and how he and the veterans got the team back on focus. I think the Flames have a very good coach on their hands here. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey-central-at-noon/hockey-central-noon-march-6-monday/

On 2/23/2017 at 8:53 PM, cross16 said:

Just in case people still think Gulutzan isn't getting through to the players. That's a very impressive response to being called out. 

The better we play as a team, the less we need to rely on individuality.  Our best individual players are not putting up individual stats but as long we keep up the team play, we will continue to put up team stats. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

We have the 4th most wins in the West with 37 behind Minnesota (42), Chicago (42), and San Jose (40).

Does anybody still want this coach fired?

Burkie actually said that they had to change the systems slightly.  The coach/team felt there were some things they were tasked to do that were difficult to execute.  As a group they figured some of it out.  

The rant that Gully went on said to the team, figure it out.  After that they have become a different team.  This is not the same team that went on a run in November/December.  And there have been subtle lineup changes that have provided the necessary spark.

The fact that they have done this as a coach/team proves that there is no need to fire the coaches.  The results are sustainable.  The systems are usable.  The team is invested in it.

On 3/10/2017 at 9:32 AM, JTech780 said:

We have the 4th most wins in the West with 37 behind Minnesota (42), Chicago (42), and San Jose (40).

Does anybody still want this coach fired?

I only recall 1 new poster asking for him to be fired.

Most of the critique at that time was deserved.

When we went on that losing streak it appeared to me GG did not know what to do to put a stop to it. GG even admitted in an interview near the end of the losing streak. It was not GG who got them out of the losing streak, it was the superior goaltending of Chad Johnson.

Archived