Jyrki Jokipakka Discussion Thread

cccsberg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steinberg had him paired with Nakladal and Engelland/Hamilton, so really just subbing out Spoon.  He will be #3.

Could have sworn you answered my post with my answer...    Is there an echo in here?    :lol:

Here's one for his first goal as a Flame:

387556399b07d804fa7624cefadff8b1.gif

Ooops, that's Stuart or Dave.

Hey, where did you get that?...   It looks very familiar...    :lol:

OK, good enough.  I watched Dallas on TV as well but generally I'm not focused on them so its hard to say specifics on specific players.  

I'm anxiously waiting to see him in Flames' silks to see what he looks like here...

I thought JJ looked good tonight and picked up an assist.

I thought Wotherspoon looked good when he was up, didn't try and do too much, played a simple game. In terms of zone break outs and ins the best at it IMO are JH, Brodie..Bennett finds ways to break in to zones but over handles at times. Jyrgi? I'll just call him Pakka for now, thought he played a simple and steady game. I agree with the assessment of him being a capable passer..looking back on that Russell return we could potentially undress the Stars on the trade. From the eye test Pakka has potential, skates well, u can tell he has good awareness. He'll figure out how to use his size and reach in due time, but he looks like a good prospect so far.

Jyrki actually looked pretty good tonight (and that is saying something, he's had 1 game day skate with the team and a brief run down of systems with the coaches). Looked solid, not too noticeable, but when he was it was in a good way. I was reading a lot about him not being physical, and while it didn't seem like hitting was his first instinct, he didn't seem to shy away from that option either (that first hit he had to start the game was pretty good). So far, I approve. But I'll wait before deciding if he is going to be good, after all one game doesn't make a career. But he seems to have the potential for a good one.

I thought Jokipakka played great last night. He showed a willingness to engage physically, he made a good first pass to exit the zone, he showed that he can jump into the play, but that he is more comfortable backing up his partner. I thought he read the play well. If he keeps it up we might have gotten the best defenseman in the trade.

I thought Jokipakka played great last night. He showed a willingness to engage physically, he made a good first pass to exit the zone, he showed that he can jump into the play, but that he is more comfortable backing up his partner. I thought he read the play well. If he keeps it up we might have gotten the best defenseman in the trade.

First impressions were good, yes.

What I liked about him was that he used his size to his advantage.  He's not huge, but uses his rather small frame well.  He's not flashy, but you notice him.  He doesn't take himself out of the play.  He has good instincts.  As a 3rd pairing guy, he looks better than just OK.  Sure he was sheltered, but I didn't see any great amount of time spent in the D-zone; efficient getting it out.

Considering how Engelland played last night, there may be a case made to put Kevin on the 2nd pairing for a game or two.  What I saw of the 2nd pair was a lot of wasted time getting it out.  Possession, followed by a weak pass intercepted 2 feet away and another complete shift spent in the D-zone.  Right now, Engelland's toughness (and the occasional smart read) are the only reasons he should be getting minutes.  I don't mind him (right now) as the 6th D.  

Early returns on Jokipakka, but so far he was good.  One game and all.  

What I liked about him was that he used his size to his advantage.  He's not huge, but uses his rather small frame well.  He's not flashy, but you notice him.  He doesn't take himself out of the play.  He has good instincts.  As a 3rd pairing guy, he looks better than just OK.  Sure he was sheltered, but I didn't see any great amount of time spent in the D-zone; efficient getting it out.

Considering how Engelland played last night, there may be a case made to put Kevin on the 2nd pairing for a game or two.  What I saw of the 2nd pair was a lot of wasted time getting it out.  Possession, followed by a weak pass intercepted 2 feet away and another complete shift spent in the D-zone.  Right now, Engelland's toughness (and the occasional smart read) are the only reasons he should be getting minutes.  I don't mind him (right now) as the 6th D.  

Early returns on Jokipakka, but so far he was good.  One game and all.  

You will like this TD. I also think Engelland should stay as the RHD on the 3rd pairing. I like the idea of keeping Engelland for next season and trading away Bollig. This would leave us Engelland, Ferland, Bouma and Hathaway as guys who will stand up for their team mates at the appropriate times.

Trade Wideman, Bollig and cash to BOS for whatever we can get.

You will like this TD. I also think Engelland should stay as the RHD on the 3rd pairing. I like the idea of keeping Engelland for next season and trading away Bollig. This would leave us Engelland, Ferland, Bouma and Hathaway as guys who will stand up for their team mates at the appropriate times.

Trade Wideman, Bollig and cash to BOS for whatever we can get.

I don't want to get too far ahead on Joki yet, but he fits a need.

Gio-Brodie or Gio-Hamilton

Jokki-Hammy or Brodie-Hammy

Spoon-Nak/Engelland

This assumes we re-sign Nakladal, but I believe he has shown enough to be a solid addition to the 3rd pairing.  He eliminates the need to keep Wideman.  He has a heavy shot and better defensive sense than Wides.  Having Engelland as a 6/7 guy balances the lines a bit better.  Spoon/Nak is fine for a lot of games, but bring in Engelland for heavy games.  Joki-Hammy is a good option, since it gives Hamilton a better chance than passing it to a D playing on the wrong side.  Not every player can play both D positions; Engelland does not do it exceptionally well; he's ok.  

I think Nakladal is a good guy to keep for the third pairing as well. Wotherspoon is showing he's NHL ready, but not quite top 4 ready yet IMHO. But he seems like he has the upside to be there one day. 

Kevin looked very good in his debut. He'll never be a flashy player, or one that stands out, but he's defensively responsible, not afraid to get involved, and reads the play well (admittedly limited sample size). 

I would say he's worth trying in the top 4. He looked as good a Russell (if not better) to me. Maybe its from the sheltered minutes, but if BT managed to solve our missing 4D problem that would be fantastic. 

There's no point playing it safe now. We're out of the playoffs. Lets put the kids into the fire and see how they do. If we win great, if we lose but learn something that's still good. 

I think Nakladal is a good guy to keep for the third pairing as well. Wotherspoon is showing he's NHL ready, but not quite top 4 ready yet IMHO. But he seems like he has the upside to be there one day. 

Kevin looked very good in his debut. He'll never be a flashy player, or one that stands out, but he's defensively responsible, not afraid to get involved, and reads the play well (admittedly limited sample size). 

I would say he's worth trying in the top 4. He looked as good a Russell (if not better) to me. Maybe its from the sheltered minutes, but if BT managed to solve our missing 4D problem that would be fantastic. 

There's no point playing it safe now. We're out of the playoffs. Lets put the kids into the fire and see how they do. If we win great, if we lose but learn something that's still good. 

Agreed, all three have looked good lately.  Hopefully that continues till the end of the season to help cement their place on the team, while giving BT confidence we can go forward and trade out Wideman, Smid and Engelland over the summer (if possible).  

I don't want to get too far ahead on Joki yet, but he fits a need.

Gio-Brodie or Gio-Hamilton

Jokki-Hammy or Brodie-Hammy

Spoon-Nak/Engelland

This assumes we re-sign Nakladal, but I believe he has shown enough to be a solid addition to the 3rd pairing.  He eliminates the need to keep Wideman.  He has a heavy shot and better defensive sense than Wides.  Having Engelland as a 6/7 guy balances the lines a bit better.  Spoon/Nak is fine for a lot of games, but bring in Engelland for heavy games.  Joki-Hammy is a good option, since it gives Hamilton a better chance than passing it to a D playing on the wrong side.  Not every player can play both D positions; Engelland does not do it exceptionally well; he's ok.  

BT as to find a way to unload Wideman, definitely.

I thought Pakka played another solid game, the jury is still out in terms of where he belongs but he looks like he could become a steady 3-4 D man in the future. I'm sold on Nakladal already, I hope the Flames sign him to an affordable 2 yr contract.

Archived