Jyrki Jokipakka Discussion Thread

cccsberg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big long reach and stay at home guy that can move the puck has limited offense. This is a great piece moving forward, great shut down potential.

If that proves to be the case he would be a great addition. A shutdown guy is an element we are lacking, and will lose the two guys we have in Engelland and Smid after next year that have some of that game.

I would like to see him tried in the top 4, we need more size in the top 4.

He's big but not a bruiser, he uses his size and reach to keep defenders to the outside.

I expect a guy that you just don't notice a whole lot when he's on the ice, which is OK with me, we have plenty of defense that are very noticeable out there. I think a steady guy on the back end that just makes the simple plays is exactly what the doctor ordered.

I've never seen him play so other than stats I'm not familiar. 

What I'm seeing around the net is that he's a 4/5 boarderline D-man. Anyone think he has top 4 potential for next year? or is he depth like Kulak, Nak, Spoon et al. ?

It will be interesting to see him play, hopefully he gets a shot tonight or next game.

As for potential, actually I think every one of those guys you listed could/can play top 4.

It will be interesting to see him play, hopefully he gets a shot tonight or next game.

As for potential, actually I think every one of those guys you listed could/can play top 4.

At this point it is hard to say who will still be around for next season however if our really good D prospects are 2 years away JJ is closer to playing NHL for us.

Apparently according to twitter he'll be wearing #3 and playing tonight. So that should be interesting.

Fair point. But its all potential this point. Just not sure who'se closest. All have looked VERY good on the bottom pairing and would be solid 5/6 options, but with nearly twice the minutes it becomes more of a question to me. 

At this point it is hard to say who will still be around for next season however if our really good D prospects are 2 years away JJ is closer to playing NHL for us.

Jokipakka not RFA for 2 more years, but not sure of his waiver status.  At this point I'm assuming he stays with the Flames the rest of this season and plays, but I guess we will see.

As for the future, yes it is unknown.  I'm hoping we re-sign Nakladal as I believe he has played pretty well both defensively and shown flashes on offence, and he would be a good guy for a 4-5D position.  Of course, with Wideman, Smid and Engelland still here that could prove an impediment so I'm really hoping we can deal 1-2 of those guys over the summer which would allow a couple of our new guys to get into the line-up.  If the Smid injury is neck again perhaps he goes onto LTIR for his last year then retires.  That would be good for him and for us.  

Jokipakka not RFA for 2 more years, but not sure of his waiver status.  At this point I'm assuming he stays with the Flames the rest of this season and plays, but I guess we will see.

As for the future, yes it is unknown.  I'm hoping we re-sign Nakladal as I believe he has played pretty well both defensively and shown flashes on offence, and he would be a good guy for a 4-5D position.  Of course, with Wideman, Smid and Engelland still here that could prove an impediment so I'm really hoping we can deal 1-2 of those guys over the summer which would allow a couple of our new guys to get into the line-up.  If the Smid injury is neck again perhaps he goes onto LTIR for his last year then retires.  That would be good for him and for us.  

Yes a few lingering if, and, maybes within the D scenario for next season. I would like to see BT rid us of Wideman and Smid. Engelland I could take and leave if he stays. If he stays I would not resign Nakladal, not that he is not good, only because I would want to see Wotherspoon, Kulak and now JJ take up those spots for 2016/17.

Yes a few lingering if, and, maybes within the D scenario for next season. I would like to see BT rid us of Wideman and Smid. Engelland I could take and leave if he stays. If he stays I would not resign Nakladal, not that he is not good, only because I would want to see Wotherspoon, Kulak and now JJ take up those spots for 2016/17.

If we were able to trade Wideman and drop/trade Smid that would leave us with just 4D from our current crop of guys, leaving 3 spots for new guys.  If that was Jokipakka, Nakladal and Wotherspoon that would be really good from my POV, leaving Kulak (and others) for call-ups with injuries.  I personally would keep Nakladal because not only does he play a style we need more of, but he is more mature which would be a good thing to help keep composure for the other new kids.  After next year you drop Engelland opening up another spot, and beyond that keep evaluating performance and see who deserves to stay and who you can move out to bring in the next wave of talent.  

If Wideman and Smid return, along with Engelland, all of Nakladal, Wotherspoon and Jokipakka(?) are waiver-eligible and you would likely lose them for nothing which would be a shame as they are low cost and providing just as good D, if not better D than the bottom 3 vets you have.  That should never be allowed to happen so its going to be imperative to get a great fix on Nakladal/Wotherspoon/Jokipakka this season, re-sign them (hopefully), then do whatever it takes to trade/LTIR/buy-out at least 2 guys from our current bottom 3D before next Fall.

Is this guy a shutdown defenceman like Robyn Regehr?

No they don't play very similar styles. Jokipaaka will use his stick/positioning to try and take away ice and won't eliminate guys along the boards like Regehr use to. Actually one of the knocks on Jokipaaka is he isn't physical enough for his size.

Jokipakka IMO is going to play like Wotherspoon does with one caveat, he is better at moving the puck. It looks like, accoridng to Millions, that Jokipaaka will replace Wotherspoon and I am expecting similar games. Where I think Wotherspoon has been struggling a bit though is moving the puck out of the zone. Wotherspoon can make the simple pass to the lead guy but outside of that I find he tends to turn it over. I've found Jokipakka is a solid puck mover so I think he can do a better job of starting the rush, but with be solid in his own zone ala Wotherspoon.

He is pretty lean for 6'3 so here is hoping the Flames can work with him on his strenght. If they do and he can move up to handle 20 ish minutes they might have a top 4 on their hands but I think he needs to add strenght to be consdiered a top 4 dman. 

No they don't play very similar styles. Jokipaaka will use his stick/positioning to try and take away ice and won't eliminate guys along the boards like Regehr use to. Actually one of the knocks on Jokipaaka is he isn't physical enough for his size.

Jokipakka IMO is going to play like Wotherspoon does with one caveat, he is better at moving the puck. It looks like, accoridng to Millions, that Jokipaaka will replace Wotherspoon and I am expecting similar games. Where I think Wotherspoon has been struggling a bit though is moving the puck out of the zone. Wotherspoon can make the simple pass to the lead guy but outside of that I find he tends to turn it over. I've found Jokipakka is a solid puck mover so I think he can do a better job of starting the rush, but with be solid in his own zone ala Wotherspoon.

He is pretty lean for 6'3 so here is hoping the Flames can work with him on his strenght. If they do and he can move up to handle 20 ish minutes they might have a top 4 on their hands but I think he needs to add strenght to be consdiered a top 4 dman. 

Agree he needs to add some size and strength, but I'm wondering where you have seen him to make your opinions re the specifics of his game?  

As for Wotherspoon, no I wouldn't agree with your assessment of his passing.  He's played very solid in the D zone to my eye, including his passing and moving the puck out of the zone.  

Agree he needs to add some size and strength, but I'm wondering where you have seen him to make your opinions re the specifics of his game?  

As for Wotherspoon, no I wouldn't agree with your assessment of his passing.  He's played very solid in the D zone to my eye, including his passing and moving the puck out of the zone.  

Saw him live when Dallas was in Calgary this year and he played a solid game and saw him on TV a few times too watching the Stars. He's always a guy I seemed to be drawn to so I wind up focussing on him more.

He is listed at 215lbs, so he does have some weight there.

Saw him live when Dallas was in Calgary this year and he played a solid game and saw him on TV a few times too watching the Stars. He's always a guy I seemed to be drawn to so I wind up focussing on him more.

OK, good enough.  I watched Dallas on TV as well but generally I'm not focused on them so its hard to say specifics on specific players.  

I'm anxiously waiting to see him in Flames' silks to see what he looks like here...

He is listed at 215lbs, so he does have some weight there.

he does but I don't think weight and strenght are the same thing. At 6'3 I would consider 215 on the leaner side and just looking at photos of him I consider him a bit lean. I"m not saying he needs to put on 30 lbs, but I think ieally you'd want someone 6'3 to be playing more in the 220lbs + range. 

If we were able to trade Wideman and drop/trade Smid that would leave us with just 4D from our current crop of guys, leaving 3 spots for new guys.  If that was Jokipakka, Nakladal and Wotherspoon that would be really good from my POV, leaving Kulak (and others) for call-ups with injuries.  I personally would keep Nakladal because not only does he play a style we need more of, but he is more mature which would be a good thing to help keep composure for the other new kids.  After next year you drop Engelland opening up another spot, and beyond that keep evaluating performance and see who deserves to stay and who you can move out to bring in the next wave of talent.  

If Wideman and Smid return, along with Engelland, all of Nakladal, Wotherspoon and Jokipakka(?) are waiver-eligible and you would likely lose them for nothing which would be a shame as they are low cost and providing just as good D, if not better D than the bottom 3 vets you have.  That should never be allowed to happen so its going to be imperative to get a great fix on Nakladal/Wotherspoon/Jokipakka this season, re-sign them (hopefully), then do whatever it takes to trade/LTIR/buy-out at least 2 guys from our current bottom 3D before next Fall.

Ideally I would like to see them move Engelland and keep Nakladal as both are best at RHD position bottom pair and Nakladal cost less. I think it is essential BT at least move Wideman and Smid.

Apparently according to twitter he'll be wearing #3 and playing tonight. So that should be interesting.

In the GDT for tonight I have him listed in the 3rd pairing in place of Wotherspoon...

Good chance he'll be wearing #3 from the sounds of it...

2e3386c01a9b8f1f88d5d0edcfacfc15.png

In the GDT for tonight I have him listed in the 3rd pairing in place of Wotherspoon...

Good chance he'll be wearing #3 from the sounds of it...

2e3386c01a9b8f1f88d5d0edcfacfc15.png

Steinberg had him paired with Nakladal and Engelland/Hamilton, so really just subbing out Spoon.  He will be #3.

At this point best case scenario: 

Smid on LTIR for next season and doesn't play. Not a great option for him, but he still gets paid, and how many more injuries does he really want to suffer before retirement? Let him make his money and then let him go

Engellend and Wideman traded prior to the draft to see if we can get a couple deep picks (4th or 5th probably since I'd rank them above Jones) that we can then use to trade up 

Leaves us with: 

Gio - Brodie

Jokipakka - Hamilton

Wotherspoon - Nakladal

Kulak

Any of the bottom 4 can sub in and out until we find what pairings work. 

Archived