Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

We dont need a ton of blue chip prospects just waiting in the wings in the AAA to say the cupboards are full. I get what youre saying but that really doesnt make sense, if we had loads of blue chippers it would be a bonus for sure, but they wouldnt have spots and would be used as trade bait. At this point it would be nice to maybe have another guy or two in the system, but im happy with having Dube and Janko, among other guys who havent signed contracts yet, like Lindstrom, Mattson, Phillips or even Ruzicka this year. Those guys are all decent to have in the system for the forward group. Also I guess it depends how you feel about Mangiapane(he had a good first year), Pribyl(the flames seem high on him), and Tuulola(although not sure things are looking great for him)

I agree 100%. The only real position of lack is RHSD and we have 3 years to get that corrected.

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I agree 100%. The only real position of lack is RHSD and we have 3 years to get that corrected.

True but both fox and andersson are right shots, but it never hurts to have more depth. The only position im worried about at this point is RW, in our entire system its really the only position where we are lacking guys who project as more then bottom 6 players. Of course we could move guys around or from center, but at this point its not really a big hole as I think having three pairs in the top 9 with 3 complimentary players is more then good enough. Top 9 of the future in my opinion.

Gaudreau-mony-Fill in

Tkachuk-Bennett-Fill in

Klimchuk-Janko-Fill in

Obviously klimchuk needs to stop getting injured for that to happen, but at this point having three complimentary guys to go with that group is pretty good.

16 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

True but both fox and andersson are right shots, but it never hurts to have more depth. The only position im worried about at this point is RW, in our entire system its really the only position where we are lacking guys who project as more then bottom 6 players. Of course we could move guys around or from center, but at this point its not really a big hole as I think having three pairs in the top 9 with 3 complimentary players is more then good enough. Top 9 of the future in my opinion.

Gaudreau-mony-Fill in

Tkachuk-Bennett-Fill in

Klimchuk-Janko-Fill in

Obviously klimchuk needs to stop getting injured for that to happen, but at this point having three complimentary guys to go with that group is pretty good.

That is kind of what I was getting at "no cause for panic" message. Even on RW we have Brouwer for 3 more years and Frolik for 2 after this season. Should Ferland work out on the top line we are only talking about a 4th line RW opening to play with. Now nothing is forever, we could see BT trade both Brouwer and Frolik if we have adequate replacements coming on. We won't know what we have in Pribyl or ET for at least another season, my hope would Pribyl as a 3rd line and ET as a 4th line. I will say I hope the hunt continues for a better than Ferland option for our top line RW.

In regards to your pairings, the decisions made with both Backlund and Bennett for new contracts looks large just where this coulda all be heading.

19 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

That is kind of what I was getting at "no cause for panic" message. Even on RW we have Brouwer for 3 more years and Frolik for 2 after this season. Should Ferland work out on the top line we are only talking about a 4th line RW opening to play with. Now nothing is forever, we could see BT trade both Brouwer and Frolik if we have adequate replacements coming on. We won't know what we have in Pribyl or ET for at least another season, my hope would Pribyl as a 3rd line and ET as a 4th line. I will say I hope the hunt continues for a better than Ferland option for our top line RW.

In regards to your pairings, the decisions made with both Backlund and Bennett for new contracts looks large just where this coulda all be heading.

I agree it would be awesome to have a better option, but ive said it before if ferland is consistent he will be good in that spot. I just dont think its possible in this day and age to get three high skill guys on your first line, makes more sense to spread the offence. Honestly even with patrick maroon playing with draisital and mcdavid, its not like hes high skill he just gets in on the forecheck and goes to the net with his stick on the ice.

7 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I agree it would be awesome to have a better option, but ive said it before if ferland is consistent he will be good in that spot. I just dont think its possible in this day and age to get three high skill guys on your first line, makes more sense to spread the offence. Honestly even with patrick maroon playing with draisital and mcdavid, its not like hes high skill he just gets in on the forecheck and goes to the net with his stick on the ice.

I agree and that is GG's job to find those chemistries. Our forward roster should have some versatility to it, especially if Versteeg signs back on.

I would equate Foo's value to a late 2nd rounder. Could maybe argue 3rd but reality is there is very little difference between a late 2nd and a 3rd.  So probably fair to say they have hopefully re couped 1 of the 2nd rounders they dealt. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would equate Foo's value to a late 2nd rounder. Could maybe argue 3rd but reality is there is very little difference between a late 2nd and a 3rd.  So probably fair to say they have hopefully re couped 1 of the 2nd rounders they dealt. 

His last year scoring is similar to Hayes, though Hayes was a senior.

Hayes had Johnny.

Foo had Vecchione.

Perhaps similar ceilings, though Hayes has NHL size going for him.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

There's a good chance Treliving knew for sure or with a high probability they'd land Foo prior to trading for Hamonic, in a way it does lessen the blow of losing the picks but jury's still out on Foo! Glad he choose us over his hometown Oilers(diss!)...in this case I don't pity the Foo!! I'm so sorry but I couldn't resist lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

His last year scoring is similar to Hayes, though Hayes was a senior.

Hayes had Johnny.

Foo had Vecchione.

Perhaps similar ceilings, though Hayes has NHL size going for him.

Maybe but I don't see it. Hayes has the size, had progression and excelled a year younger than Foo did. 

13 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

We dont need a ton of blue chip prospects just waiting in the wings in the AAA to say the cupboards are full. I get what youre saying but that really doesnt make sense, if we had loads of blue chippers it would be a bonus for sure, but they wouldnt have spots and would be used as trade bait. At this point it would be nice to maybe have another guy or two in the system, but im happy with having Dube and Janko, among other guys who havent signed contracts yet, like Lindstrom, Mattson, Phillips or even Ruzicka this year. Those guys are all decent to have in the system for the forward group. Also I guess it depends how you feel about Mangiapane(he had a good first year), Pribyl(the flames seem high on him), and Tuulola(although not sure things are looking great for him)

Yea... Not saying we need a ton of blue chips but it'd be nice to see more consistent progression from some of the prospects. I'm really speaking more to our forward group. Of Klimchuk, Shink, Poirier, Janko , really Janko seems to be the most NHL ready, he showed steady progression. Klimchuk found his mojo last year but I'm not sold on him just yet, Shink and Poirier seemed to both take steps back. I like our group of prospects but it'd be nice to see more standouts and NHL ready progression from our older prospect forwards. 

1 minute ago, rickross said:

Yea... Not saying we need a ton of blue chips but it'd be nice to see more consistent progression from some of the prospects. I'm really speaking more to our forward group. Of Klimchuk, Shink, Poirier, Janko , really Janko seems to be the most NHL ready, he showed steady progression. Klimchuk found his mojo last year but I'm not sold on him just yet, Shink and Poirier seemed to both take steps back. I like our group of prospects but it'd be nice to see more standouts and NHL ready progression from our older prospect forwards. 

Yeah I agree ive been dissapointed in some of the guys like klimchuk or poirier, but I think klimchuk has just been injuries and im hoping poirier's substance abuse problem was the issue. I mean who knows it would be nice to see more progression for sure, im staying optimistic for now.

58 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Maybe but I don't see it. Hayes has the size, had progression and excelled a year younger than Foo did. 

Think you may be looking at the wrong Hayes.

Hayes in his junior year (same as this year for Foo) was 6g 19a in 27 games.  His senior year was 27g 38a in 40 games.

Foo was 26g 36a in 38 games in his junior year.

The big difference is the size, which I mentioned.

31 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Yeah I agree ive been dissapointed in some of the guys like klimchuk or poirier, but I think klimchuk has just been injuries and im hoping poirier's substance abuse problem was the issue. I mean who knows it would be nice to see more progression for sure, im staying optimistic for now.

It sure seems to fit the facts (performance wise).

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Think you may be looking at the wrong Hayes.

Hayes in his junior year (same as this year for Foo) was 6g 19a in 27 games.  His senior year was 27g 38a in 40 games.

Foo was 26g 36a in 38 games in his junior year.

The big difference is the size, which I mentioned.

Foo was a year older though in each season which imo makes a difference. They didn't start attending college at the same age. Foo started later. 

23 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Gaudreau-mony-Fill in

Tkachuk-Bennett-Fill in

Klimchuk-Janko-Fill in

Going back to your forward pairs concept with the addition of Foo who by the sounds of it will be given the opportunity to play. Also resigning Versteeg would help with this scenario.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Versteeg

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar

Frolik, Backlund, Brouwer

Ferland, Jankowski, Foo

This would be my starting position for our forward group. Provides GG with a lot of options to move players around if necessary.

50 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Going back to your forward pairs concept with the addition of Foo who by the sounds of it will be given the opportunity to play. Also resigning Versteeg would help with this scenario.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Versteeg

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar

Frolik, Backlund, Brouwer

Ferland, Jankowski, Foo

This would be my starting position for our forward group. Provides GG with a lot of options to move players around if necessary.

I dont think if versteeg is back he plays on the top line, granted mony/johnny were struggling when he was on that line, I dont think he looked great there. I do like the idea of playing brouwer with backlund, just to get him back into the swing of things, heres hoping he bounces back after a good summer. If we get rid of stajan your lines work out nicely, but I dont think the market is there, so heres hoping. I think id rather see

johnny-mony-ferland

tkachuk-bennett-foo

Frolik-backlund-brouwer

Stajan-janko-lazar

In another thread I had lazar playing with backlund but this works as well. I think Foo might be a better player then cross is giving him credit for, and might it least have jimmy veseys impact from last season, which while it doesnt make him a great player, he can put up some points.

35 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I dont think if versteeg is back he plays on the top line, granted mony/johnny were struggling when he was on that line, I dont think he looked great there. I do like the idea of playing brouwer with backlund, just to get him back into the swing of things, heres hoping he bounces back after a good summer. If we get rid of stajan your lines work out nicely, but I dont think the market is there, so heres hoping. I think id rather see

johnny-mony-ferland

tkachuk-bennett-foo

Frolik-backlund-brouwer

Stajan-janko-lazar

In another thread I had lazar playing with backlund but this works as well. I think Foo might be a better player then cross is giving him credit for, and might it least have jimmy veseys impact from last season, which while it doesnt make him a great player, he can put up some points.

I just like a bit more maturity with Bennett in Lazar than Foo.

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Thats fair. I just wouldnt be surprised to see Foo given a shot in the top 9 with bennett or backlund, but it wouldnt be terrible to see him on the 4th line either.

Let him work his way in and up is how I see it.

22 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Thats fair. I just wouldnt be surprised to see Foo given a shot in the top 9 with bennett or backlund, but it wouldnt be terrible to see him on the 4th line either.

Foo will get a shot at making the team, just as Shinkaruk and the others will.  They have a short window to impress.  Foo will be luckier as he should get to go to the dev camp, along with the Flames recent draftees.  The Flames brass will be there to watch Foo, Valimaki and Ruzicka, as well as guys like Mangiapane and Falkowsky.

It'll be another competitive training camp for sure, not as many fresh faces this time around but the battles among our D men, goalies should really be interesting. Our forwards have a lot to prove right now so I expect to see a couple standout performers giving the coaches some tough calls to make. I'm still loving the fact Foo chose us over the Oilers, even better he adds to a position we are really lacking in

On 28/06/2017 at 0:19 AM, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Gaudreau-mony-Fill in

Tkachuk-Bennett-Fill in

Klimchuk-Janko-Fill in

We just have to wait for our first round pick in 2019 to get a top 4 RW.  :)

7 hours ago, Meatpuppet42 said:

We just have to wait for our first round pick in 2019 to get a top 4 RW.  :)

Unforunatly we arent going to trade for one, unless we make a big move. I shouldnt make it out to be a gurantee we wont trade for one, but theres very few players of the list below we could acquire or would want to acquire given the cost.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2017/caphit/all/rightwing