Auston Matthews - The real prize?

jjgallow

As I write this, the Flames are third last in the NHL, and the fans are getting restless.  Everyone is hoping that this is just a temporary slump before we turn the heat up.

So what if it's not?

Then, the 2016 draft, in the top two positions, is Almost as good as 2015.  And...some are saying, it Could be Better (in the top 2-3 spots.  Not as deep).

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/meet-auston-matthews-the-next-next-nhl-draft-phenom/

Auston Matthews, the foregone conclusion as 2016's first round pick, is Absolutely Killing the competition over at the Swiss League.   KILLING.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199898

No other prospect to my knowledge, since Gretzky (somebody is sure to correct me?) has developed at this age, and at this calibre of competition.  And Auston...is Thriving.

Strictly looking at statistics (sorry guys...)...Auston should be considered with McDavid and Eichel.  And in some ways, he should be considered better.  I'm personally happy about his decision to go pro.  I think there are some special players that junior just doesn't have what it takes to develop properly.

So here's hoping the Flames rebound soon.  

But if they don't, please let this thread be a HUGE silver lining.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is in the Swiss league, not the Swedish Elite league.

I personally don't think Mathews is in the McDavid/ Eichel category. Great prospect but not the same level of those two.

whoops...I need to stop posting when I'm half asleep. Good catch, I've corrected for it.

Well, hopefully one of us is wrong.  Either you about Matthews, or me about the Flames this year.

whoops...I need to stop posting when I'm half asleep. Good catch, I've corrected for it.

Well, hopefully one of us is wrong.  Either you about Matthews, or me about the Flames this year.

Well let's remember we are comparing him to arguably the two best prospects the NHL has seen since Crosby. So for me to say that I think Matthews is a step behind them IMO speaks more to what I think about McDavid and Eichel and not so much what I think about Matthews. Matthews is a terrific propsect, I just don't think he is at the game changing/franchise changing level that McDavid is at and what I personally beleive Eichel is at too.

Well let's remember we are comparing him to arguably the two best prospects the NHL has seen since Crosby. So for me to say that I think Matthews is a step behind them IMO speaks more to what I think about McDavid and Eichel and not so much what I think about Matthews. Matthews is a terrific propsect, I just don't think he is at the game changing/franchise changing level that McDavid is at and what I personally beleive Eichel is at too.

Thanks cross, I totally get it and appreciate that (being a huge McDavid fan....that is, until the Oilers drafted him)

So, I also appreciate your thoughts on just going off stats.  But if you'll allow me to indulge for just a moment:

Eichel:   1.875 points per game in the USHL two years before he was drafted.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=191959

Matthews:  2 points per game at same age.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199898

Compare their time on the US national team, or goals....and they all point to the same thing:  Equivalent, or quantifiable advantage to Matthews.

How you compare the Swiss League to the NCAA, I really don't know.  But given the number of ex NHLers in the Swiss League, I would say it's significantly tougher than what Eichel faced.  And he's killing it.

The next big comparison (maybe the only one) may be his World Juniors performance.  And in that, I think it would be more of a McDavid comparison (because Eichel kind of slumped in those).

Totally get that this only means so much.   But, I just finished watching a 6-2 loss to the Capitals.   Gotta have some hope, right?

I actually wasn't going based on their stats i was going based on my viewings of them. From what I've seen, I like Eichel a bit more but I am also admitly a fairly big Eichel fan and actually until the World Juniors last year I would have argued it was real close between he and McDavid.

Absolutley Matthews can change that and probalby already has to a certain degree.

I actually wasn't going based on their stats i was going based on my viewings of them. From what I've seen, I like Eichel a bit more but I am also admitly a fairly big Eichel fan and actually until the World Juniors last year I would have argued it was real close between he and McDavid.

Absolutley Matthews can change that and probalby already has to a certain degree.

Well, after another Flames loss, we can only hope a little bit more, that we haven't missed the boat on the top 2 (or 3) great players of this generation.

Here's a really promising article:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=42024

I really like Matthews, I think he might have slightly higher offensive potential compared to Eichel, but I think Eichel will be the better all around player.

I always compare McDavid to Crosby, the guy can flat out score and will accumulate a lot of individual success. With Eichel I see a Toews comparison, I think Eichel will be the guy that is willing to sacrifice his some of his offensive stats to be the better all around player.

With Matthews I see him somewhere in the middle. The way he plays reminds me of Eichel, big guy who takes advantage of his size and strength. I think he can end up being a better skating Getzlaf, or a stronger Sequin.

Guess who's the highest goal-scorer in the Swiss League:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?season=2015&leagueid=NLA&sort=&leagueteam=&nation=&name=&order=G

Would look good in a Flames uniform.

The only way I can get behind the Flames getting 1st overall is if they just miss the playoffs and win the lotto.  I have too much pride to hope for anything but a return to the playoffs.  We don't need to have to listen to all the "experts" saying we have returned to normal, and last year was a total fluke that cursed the hockey gods.  Another Colorado one and done season.  No thanks.

The only way I can get behind the Flames getting 1st overall is if they just miss the playoffs and win the lotto.  I have too much pride to hope for anything but a return to the playoffs.  We don't need to have to listen to all the "experts" saying we have returned to normal, and last year was a total fluke that cursed the hockey gods.  Another Colorado one and done season.  No thanks.

Those same experts were proclaiming the Flames couldn't keep it up past last christmas. Then it was couldn't keep it up past the All-Star break, then it was never make the playoffs....

They are really butt hurt over being wrong. They will be all over the Flames mistakes this season.

Regardless of who maybe viewed as the “Real Prize” at the 2016 draft, the team which finishes with fewest points this season will have an 80% chance of NOT picking first, or second or third.  The league has finally implemented rules to eliminate the “Big Carrot” which some teams could not resist by purposely tanking for a guaranteed 1OA or 2OA draft pick.  Bravo!

Regardless of who maybe viewed as the “Real Prize” at the 2016 draft, the team which finishes with fewest points this season will have an 80% chance of NOT picking first, or second or third. The league has finally implemented rules to eliminate the “Big Carrot” which some teams could not resist by purposely tanking for a guaranteed 1OA or 2OA draft pick. Bravo!

Like I said, Oilers will get him. 5 in 7, right?

Love.

Like I said, Oilers will get him. 5 in 7, right?

Love.

I think your right!  I believe the consolation prize in their two off years were Eberle and Nurse. 

I can hear the deafening BOO’s now as a humanoid robot with bullet proof vest approaches the podium in Oiler colours with yet another lottery pick in 2016.  

Us getting him is unlikely.

Oilers getting McDavid, was also unlikely.

So think of it this way, we no longer have to dream about tanking.  We can just dream about winning a lottery.

Yes, it also means not making the playoffs.  Personally, I don't care.  I'm not really big on making the playoffs and getting smoked.   I want a contender, is what I want.

Us getting him is unlikely.

Oilers getting McDavid, was also unlikely.

So think of it this way, we no longer have to dream about tanking.  We can just dream about winning a lottery.

Yes, it also means not making the playoffs.  Personally, I don't care.  I'm not really big on making the playoffs and getting smoked.   I want a contender, is what I want.

Well we could just trade for lottery draft picks from other teams too.....

Well we could just trade for lottery draft picks from other teams too.....

It's certainly possible, but unless that trade happened now with a team hoping to finish higher (very unlikely the Flames would do that)...

It won't happen at the trade deadline (because the lottery teams will be sellers)...

And it seems unlikely in the offseason, unless we're willing to overpay

A good trade to make right now might be Dennis Wideman to the Ducks for their 1st round pick.  Logic would suggest the Ducks will make the playoffs, or so they think.  And if they miss the playoffs, then the Flames just got another pick in the lottery.

I'd make that trade too.  Not sure if they'd make it straight up?  Might cost us a 2nd or a 3rd as well?

But yeah.

On another note.....Auston matthews continues to follow in the path of McDavid.......  :(

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/11/01/auston-matthews-suffers-back-injury-to-miss-weeks/

Archived