Auston Matthews - The real prize?

jjgallow

I'd make that trade too.  Not sure if they'd make it straight up?  Might cost us a 2nd or a 3rd as well?

But yeah.

On another note.....Auston matthews continues to follow in the path of McDavid.......  :(

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/11/01/auston-matthews-suffers-back-injury-to-miss-weeks/

That's too bad to hear.

Based on the small sample size of his performance this year in the Swiss League, I think it's fair to say he's not as good as McDavid but in the conversation with Eichel's talent.  I think he would've been the 3rd overall pick in June's draft earlier this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Who's projections? SportsClubStats is not even close to these projections.

The thing is, the Canucks have been one of the worst teams in the last month. I think that's what they've said on the TSN1040. Their PK has been a league worst and other facets in their games. I guess they're going by the rate they're winning/losing over the last so many games? It's the fact they're trending down. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It takes a special type of suck to be in the bottom 3 of the league (where the lotto pick usually goes to); we aren't there.

We're not bottom 3...But we're....yeah...pretty close.

Given that these are set percentages, we don't necessarily need to look at past outcomes, we can use exact odds.

Even last year, the combined chances of the bottom 3 winning were 45%.  Meaning that it's more likely to go to a team Not in the bottom 3.  And if I understand correctly, 2016's odds will be even more anti-tank.

So basically...it is anyone's game in the bottom 10 or so.

We're currently in the bottom 5.     We don't have a good chance, but we have as good as about anyone else.

It takes a special type of suck to be in the bottom 3 of the league (where the lotto pick usually goes to); we aren't there.

We are closer to the bottom 3 than we are to a playoff spot. We are 6 points out of a playoff spot and 5 points up on last place.

We are closer to the bottom 3 than we are to a playoff spot. We are 6 points out of a playoff spot and 5 points up on last place.

And we have played less games than everyone in the West but the Sharks and Ducks.  EDM has played 4 more games than us and are just tied in points.  We have had 3 wins in the last 9, plus a SOL.  And we still are not in the bottom of the league.  Takes a special kind of suck to stay in the bottom 3.

Baring injuries of course, I don't see the Flames as a bottom 3 team. Yes there are holes on the Flames roster but there is also too much talent to be a bottom 3 team.

Having said that, I agree that this year that doesn't necessarily matter. I think worst case I would see the Flames finishin in the 6th to 8th spot so decreased odds but odds none the less. 

• 3 weeks later...

So.....just to be ridiculous....

What happens if we win the lottery?

Would we keep Matthews, or trade him?

And if we kept him, would we keep Bennett and Monahan?

I don't think any of the three could be third line centers.

Wingers, maybe.  But all three are such phenomenal, natural centers....probably first-line centers (second line at the worst)...

Would be a very nice problem to have...

Im a really big on bpa, but in this case I think Laine is starting to catch up to Matthews (imo)  and would finally fill that right shot right wing position we've been seeking for so long. So if that were the position we were in (still hoping for playoffs, but increasingly thinking it might not happen) id like to see bt and company trade one down for another pick or prospect and we take one of the fins. Some would argue puljujarvi over laine, but I think Patrik is better suited for our conference and didnt seem to get rattled as much at times during the world juniors. Just my opinion, would take Matthews in a heatbeat though aswell.

Baring injuries of course, I don't see the Flames as a bottom 3 team. Yes there are holes on the Flames roster but there is also too much talent to be a bottom 3 team.

Having said that, I agree that this year that doesn't necessarily matter. I think worst case I would see the Flames finishin in the 6th to 8th spot so decreased odds but odds none the less. 

If we trade Ramo and ride Hiller I think we could manage bottom 3, especially since Brodie might be out for a few or more.

Not sure where should write this but here has been discussed about Laine and Puljujärvi so I set this her.

Laine and Nelonen (TV channel in Finland) made skill video where he show his moves and shot. 
http://ruutu.fi/video/f/2386509this shows Laine skills.
And end of video Laine challenge Pulujärvi show his skills, http://www.ruutu.fi/video/2429942 

There isn't english text but its fun to watch.

And what becomes Laine and Pulju, I'll take Laine. He is great sniper (there has been said he reminds Ovetchkin) who don't scare defend his teammates and have great potential in defense zone, block shots and play smart game. When he is in offence zone he can score always where ever he are. He have also high-end self-confidence, almost every interview he believes he can be the best hockey player in the world. He is just that player what this organization needs.

Puljujärvi is more like Monahan. He plays smart 2-way game  but he isn't sniper.

Hope u understand my english it's little rusty  :D

Wingers, maybe. But all three are such phenomenal, natural centers....probably first-line centers (second line at the worst)...

We would be crazy to trade Matthews, of the 3 he most likely will be the best. I think you keep Bennett at LW and have lines of Bennett/Matthews and Gaudreau/Monahan. The right side really isn't a big issue on either line for me, because of how much talent and scoring ability is on the top two line already. It would mean having two 1at lines regardless of who is playing RW.

Bennett can also shift over in the event of an injury.

Not sure where should write this but here has been discussed about Laine and Puljujärvi so I set this her.

Laine and Nelonen (TV channel in Finland) made skill video where he show his moves and shot.

And end of video Laine challenge Pulujärvi show his skills, http://www.ruutu.fi/video/2429942

And what becomes Laine and Pulju, I'll take Laine. He is great sniper (there has been said he reminds Ovetchkin) who don't scare defend his teammates and have great potential in defense zone, block shots and play smart game. When he is in offence zone he can score always where ever he are. He have also high-end self-confidence, almost every interview he believes he can be the best hockey player in the world. He is just that player what this organization needs.

Puljujärvi is more like Monahan. He plays smart 2-way game but he isn't sniper.

Hope u understand my english it's little rusty :D

Thanks for the videos, very cool to watch.

Wingers, maybe.  But all three are such phenomenal, natural centers....probably first-line centers (second line at the worst)...

I think Monahan can move to the 3rd line in that scenario.  I don't see it as a waste because we can roll 3 lines equally with 17 minutes per line per game.  The 4th line Center will play 9 minutes.  This could mean we be paying our 3rd line Center $6-mil-per but it could work.  Give each Center a scoring winger and a defensive winger.  So,

Gaudreau - Bennett

Hudler - Matthews

Frolik - Monahan

As an example.

Puljujärvi is more like Monahan. He plays smart 2-way game  but he isn't sniper.

Hope u understand my english it's little rusty  :D

Your english is fine. Thanks for your contributions. It is appreciated and helps put some clarity on these two players for us.

I think Monahan can move to the 3rd line in that scenario.  I don't see it as a waste because we can roll 3 lines equally with 17 minutes per line per game.  The 4th line Center will play 9 minutes.  This could mean we be paying our 3rd line Center $6-mil-per but it could work.  Give each Center a scoring winger and a defensive winger.  So,

Gaudreau - Bennett

Hudler - Matthews

Frolik - Monahan

As an example.

Interesting idea.   At first glance, I don't like it.  Too much offense, not enough defense.  But maybe there is a way it could work?

Is there an example where that's worked in the past?  Would be an interesting experiment at the last.

As for trading Matthews....I immediately think no.    Everyone knows the number one way to evaluate who won a trade:  Who go the best player.

But then,,,,  there was the Lindros trade...

Interesting idea. At first glance, I don't like it. Too much offense, not enough defense. But maybe there is a way it could work?

Is there an example where that's worked in the past? Would be an interesting experiment at the last.

As for trading Matthews....I immediately think no. Everyone knows the number one way to evaluate who won a trade: Who go the best player.

But then,,,, there was the Lindros trade...

In the Lindros trade it is very easy to argue that Quebec/Colorado got the best player in the trade when they got Forsberg.

In this hypothetical situation, the player I would look to trade is Monahan. He would bring in a very good return. I also think Bennett and Matthews have much higher ceilings than Monahan, as I think he has already hit his ceiling.

Archived