cccsberg

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the fact that we are giving other players the chance on the Gaudreau/Monahan line. It allows us to keep our options open. Hudler can definitely be a guy there if we are pushing for a goal or feel we don't need a little sandpaper on the top line (Also that could easily be our first PP). Frolik can play some real solid hockey and is a steady 20 goal/40 point guy. Give him some first line minutes with Johnny and Mony and I wouldn't be surprised at 25 goal/60 point production from him, plus he adds a bit of grit and good possession numbers to our top line. Ferland (while maybe the weakest of the three current options that are likely to be tried) definitely opens up some space and adds a heavily physical element. 

If Bennett does play on the big club (since it's either Calgary or Juniors) I hope he is with either Hudler or Frolik to help mentor him into the NHL. He could learn from both those guys, and I'm sure they wouldn't complain about playing with him either.

I like the fact that we are giving other players the chance on the Gaudreau/Monahan line. It allows us to keep our options open. Hudler can definitely be a guy there if we are pushing for a goal or feel we don't need a little sandpaper on the top line (Also that could easily be our first PP). Frolik can play some real solid hockey and is a steady 20 goal/40 point guy. Give him some first line minutes with Johnny and Mony and I wouldn't be surprised at 25 goal/60 point production from him, plus he adds a bit of grit and good possession numbers to our top line. Ferland (while maybe the weakest of the three current options that are likely to be tried) definitely opens up some space and adds a heavily physical element. 

If Bennett does play on the big club (since it's either Calgary or Juniors) I hope he is with either Hudler or Frolik to help mentor him into the NHL. He could learn from both those guys, and I'm sure they wouldn't complain about playing with him either.

The player I would tried on the top line with Gaudreau and Monahan is Jones IMO. I would like the experience and the size on the line with those two. I would like to see Jooris play RW with Backlund and Bouma. I still think Ferland should break in on the 4th line with Stajan.

The player I would tried on the top line with Gaudreau and Monahan is Jones IMO. I would like the experience and the size on the line with those two. I would like to see Jooris play RW with Backlund and Bouma. I still think Ferland should break in on the 4th line with Stajan.

The Johnny to Frolik goal was a bright spot in an otherwise forgettable outcome.

Hamilton and Frolik looked as good as advertised.

Nakladal played quite well with Giordano.

Bennett was a buzz saw around the net.

Poirier missed several good chances.

Brodie skating real well.

Hiller was solid.

Gaudreau looks to be in regular season shape already, 2 and 3 Oilers around him against the boards and he still came out with the puck most times.

No one else really stood out to me.

I missed the fight between Nurse and Hunter. The Oiler MB says that Hunter got bloodied. Anyone here see it?

I missed the fight between Nurse and Hunter. The Oiler MB says that Hunter got bloodied. Anyone here see it?

Hunter did get bloodied, couldn't tell how bad from my seats.  Although he his face was bloodied I thought Hunter did very good in that fight I'd even have him winning as Nurse did most of the damage after Hunter had let him back up.  That and I can't give the decision to Nurse as he declined an invite from Bollig earlier and had Klinkhammer try to get in at the start.  But without the fight I have nothing positive to say about Hunter Smith right now.

Hunter did get bloodied, couldn't tell how bad from my seats.  Although he his face was bloodied I thought Hunter did very good in that fight I'd even have him winning as Nurse did most of the damage after Hunter had let him back up.  That and I can't give the decision to Nurse as he declined an invite from Bollig earlier and had Klinkhammer try to get in at the start.  But without the fight I have nothing positive to say about Hunter Smith right now.

So somewhere in your mind Hunter still won that fight? What planet are you on?

So somewhere in your mind Hunter still won that fight? What planet are you on?

Get real. It was a draw. Smith went to protect Nurse when Nurse looked like he was falling. Nurse didn't fall and got a good shot in when they exchanged about 3 bombs. Then the refs jumped in. There wasn't a winner.

No one won it.

But I agree with Senor that Smith was incredibly forgettable.

I feel sorry for Nakladal, I thought he played real well.

Listening to the 960 heads on the drive home, they gave Nakladal pretty much no mention. He was a bit better than Kulak and much better than Wother. That's why HE paired with Gio of the 3 young/new guys. Not Kulak, not Wother.

Loubourdias, or whatever, mentioned in revisiting the Oil's 1st goal, "a certain Dman didn't clear their man". That Dman was Brodie, with Bennett falling around with him to the left of the net. Nakladal was on the ice...covering the front as the RD.

Then Gio jumped up and misread the puck's trajectory, leaving Nakladal with RNH and Pouliot.

So Nakladal get's the -2, and that is very misleading. He has to beat out Engellnd.

I definitely didn't appreciate the 960 louts not giving Nakladal props on a pretty solid game. Look at the -2 and go "ewww", but watch the flipping plays.

No saying Hamilton or Brodie stop that 2-on-1. Wideman, likely a 2-on-0...

Now about our camp...

I noticed guys were hitting bars a lot even on open net shooting, and were high/wide way more than SOG.

Hopefully coaches get on them for that.

Monahan had a crossbar and a wicked post tonight, the wicked post was hit, the puck cleared the zone, Oilers raced to change, Hiller raced to get the puck to Johnny, Frolik jumped on for Ferland, saw Monahan 10' out coming in for a change, played that as a pick and hello. And that was the least of Frolik tonight, what a player.

But that was Hiller's goal, and that's what you get with an experienced NHL netminder, it just is.

No one is going to be able to convince me Ferland is a top 6 winger at this point. Sorry, shove your 5 sec clips.

Let's use Shore as an example. Hudler got out with Shore for a short shift, and Shore played along just fine with bouncing the puck off of each other. It made me go, "wow, Shore can kinda keep up". Ferland does not do that well. That is not his game.

My main pt to anyone not sleeping yet, is I really thought Nakladal had a solid game in all aspects of D. He ended up with Gio in the 3rd for a reason. Hartley's preaching, "we want to push guys to see where they fit".

He pushed Nakladal to Gio by the end of the game.

Begs the question, where does Jakub fit?

Get real. It was a draw. Smith went to protect Nurse when Nurse looked like he was falling. Nurse didn't fall and got a good shot in when they exchanged about 3 bombs. Then the refs jumped in. There wasn't a winner.

No one won it.

Listening to the 960 heads on the drive home, they gave Nakladal pretty much no mention. He was a bit better than Kulak and much better than Wother. That's why HE paired with Gio of the 3 young/new guys. Not Kulak, not Wother.

Loubourdias, or whatever, mentioned in revisiting the Oil's 1st goal, "a certain Dman didn't clear their man". That Dman was Brodie, with Bennett falling around with him to the left of the net. Nakladal was on the ice...covering the front as the RD.

Then Gio jumped up and misread the puck's trajectory, leaving Nakladal with RNH and Pouliot.

So Nakladal get's the -2, and that is very misleading. He has to beat out Engellnd.

I definitely didn't appreciate the 960 louts not giving Nakladal props on a pretty solid game. Look at the -2 and go "ewww", but watch the flipping plays.

Now about our camp...

I noticed guys were hitting bars a lot even on open net shooting, and were high/wide way more than SOG.

Monahan had a crossbar and a wicked post tonight, the wicked post was hit, the puck cleared the zone, Oilers raced to change, Hiller raced to get the puck to Johnny, Frolik jumped on for Ferland, saw Monahan 10' out coming in for a change, played that as a pick and hello. And that was the least of Frolik tonight, what a player.

But that was Hiller's goal, and that's what you get with an experienced NHL netminder, it just is.

No one is going to be able to convince me Ferland is a top 6 winger at this point. Sorry, shove your 5 sec clips.

Let's use Shore as an example. Hudler got out with Shore for a short shift, and Shore played along just fine with bouncing the puck off of each other. It made me go, "wow, Shore can kinda keep up". Ferland does not do that well. That is not his game.

My main pt to anyone not sleeping yet, is I really thought Nakladal had a solid game in all aspects of D. He ended up with Gio in the 3rd for a reason. Hartley's preaching, "we want to push guys to see where they fit".

Seriously you read this much into the first competitive match up ? Love your enthusiasm.

No one won it.

Now about our camp...

The rust was still there, from what I saw.  I thought that Nakladal played well, as did Wotherspoon.

Johnny seems to have chemistry with Frolik (big surprise - sarcastic tone).  Seriously, I think Johnny could play with Hunter Smith and look great.  Mony missed a beauty after a Johnny pass, but I think the goalie got a piece of it.

Oh, and Smith got cut from his visor.  He appeared after the fight and didn't even have a bandage on.  Call the fight even after an early lead by Smith.

Enjoyed seeing Hamilton shoot the mask off Scribbles.  Nice power to his wrist shot. 

I don't think he was in a "battle" for a spot but just to contain all training camp news to one thread..

McLovin_normal.jpg @Fan960Steinberg  
#Flames have assigned Andrew Mangiapane back to Barrie of the OHL.

Would have liked to see him in at least another pre-season game, but he was a long-shot to make it this year.  He needs to get back to junior and prepare for the season.  Ras should do that too, but will get a longer look due to being more NHL ready.

Smith and Kanzig should be the next two to get cut.  Kanzig will likely get a game in though.  

Would have liked to see him in at least another pre-season game, but he was a long-shot to make it this year. He needs to get back to junior and prepare for the season. Ras should do that too, but will get a longer look due to being more NHL ready.

Smith and Kanzig should be the next two to get cut. Kanzig will likely get a game in though.

The difference for Smith and Kanzig is that management has to decide if they are ready to turn pro or if they should go back to junior for their overage year much like Carroll. I would expect them to get a longer look along with Kylington.

I don't think he was in a "battle" for a spot but just to contain all training camp news to one thread..

#Flames have assigned Andrew Mangiapane back to Barrie of the OHL.

I'm almost always in favour of sending a junior-eligible player back to junior, and Mangiapane is no exception.  That said, he showed enough that I think he'll be a shoo-in for Stockton next year.

Have any other cuts been published yet today? 

Bad news today, TJ Brodie has a broken bone in his hand from blocking a shot. Silver lining is it happened early in camp so hopefully he won't miss too many games.

McLovin_normal.jpg

@Fan960Steinberg

Treliving says the recovery time for Brodie ranges between 3 and 6 weeks. Won't be able to pinpoint it precisely for a few days. #Flames

Bad news today, TJ Brodie has a broken bone in his hand form blocking a shot. Silver lining is it happened early in camp so hopefully he won't miss too many games.

Treliving says the recovery time for Brodie ranges between 3 and 6 weeks. Won't be able to pinpoint it precisely for a few days. #Flames

noooo.gif

The Flames usually carry 14 forwards, of course only 12 can play in any one game.

Backlund, Bennett, Bouma, Colborne, Frolik, Gaudreau, Hudler, Jones, Jooris, Monahan, Raymond, & Stajan will probably be the Top 12; most due to talent, at least one due to his contract.

Byron is injured, Granlund is waiver exempt so he can be safely sent to Stockton; that leaves Bollig & Ferland for the last two spots.

IMO, Agostino, Arnold, Hathaway, & Shore all have outside chances to make the roster.

I'm sure they'll do everything that they can, as they are all RFAs at the end of this season.

Of course, injuries and trades could change everything.

The Flames usually carry 14 forwards, of course only 12 can play in any one game.

Backlund, Bennett, Bouma, Colborne, Frolik, Gaudreau, Hudler, Jones, Jooris, Monahan, Raymond, & Stajan will probably be the Top 12; most due to talent, at least one due to his contract.

Byron is injured, Granlund is waiver exempt so he can be safely sent to Stockton; that leaves Bollig & Ferland for the last two spots.

IMO, Agostino, Arnold, Hathaway, & Shore all have outside chances to make the roster.

I'm sure they'll do everything that they can, as they are all RFAs at the end of this season.

Of course, injuries and trades could change everything.

Byron is cleared to play.  He and Colborne were deemed healthy.  I would say that Byron has as good a chance as Raymond to make the cut, based on skills.  Contract status could play a bigger role in some cases over "always earned...".  Granlund has played well in pre-season so far.  Ferland has looked intense in his starts.

Difficult choices..

Very curious to see how Treliving brings the forwards to a group of twelve; Bolig is no offensive jaugernaut so he might be out, unless Burkie has a say; of course.

I don't think Bollig will play in every game this season but there are going to be those games vs the Oilers and Canucks where we will need Bollig in the lineup.

With Nakladal going down last night that's 4 defencemen injured and it's not even midway through TC yet. That's great news for the young prospects, with Andersson, Kylington, Morrison, Wotherspoon and Kulak impressing the most to date in that order. Beyond them the guys on PTO are also looking good.

With Nakladal going down last night that's 4 defencemen injured and it's not even midway through TC yet. That's great news for the young prospects, with Andersson, Kylington, Morrison, Wotherspoon and Kulak impressing the most to date in that order. Beyond them the guys on PTO are also looking good.

Couldn't watch the game, but Wilson sounds like he may have earned a contract (may go to Stockton).  Andersson just continues to impress.  Kylington is getting better each game.  Same with Morrison (by the sounds of last night).  Wotherspoon is just slow and steady, so he may have the inside track.  Nakladal's malady is not serious I hope.  Waiting for the update on him, whether it is concussion protocol or not.

Archived