Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

I decided to check up on Fox. He has 29 points this year so far.

Gross!

I was pretty pissed at dealing him in that deal. I think it helps make that deal a fail. For me, that player should’ve been dealt on his own and possibly just to the rangers anyway. Even if it’s a 2nd rounder you get, he had the cachet that should’ve made for a lone deal, not a throw-in.

Hanifin is a 4/5 D With #4 upside (questionable?)

Lindholm 2nd line C or a good 1RW. 
hamilton should’ve netted at least A Hall type haul... 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I decided to check up on Fox. He has 29 points this year so far.

Gross!

I was pretty pissed at dealing him in that deal. I think it helps make that deal a fail. For me, that player should’ve been dealt on his own and possibly just to the rangers anyway. Even if it’s a 2nd rounder you get, he had the cachet that should’ve made for a lone deal, not a throw-in.

Hanifin is a 4/5 D With #4 upside (questionable?)

Lindholm 2nd line C or a good 1RW. 
hamilton should’ve netted at least A Hall type haul... 

Fox wasn't a throw in.  Remove him and the Flames got a 23 and 21 year old for a 27 and 25 year old with.  At the time Hamilton was the best player, Lindholm has closed the gap but still the scales still tip in the Flames favour with Ferland being a one and done in Carolina.  The thing with Fox is he was committed to play his junior year, the Flames know he won't sign maybe he suffers a major injury that year so it's best not to take the risk knowing a major injury in his junior year, Rags probably don't offer much and you can't roll with him going into his senior year.  I don't know, I get many people just need to hate the guy for any reason possible, but it was a tough spot and IMO he came out of that okay.  

9 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Fox wasn't a throw in.  Remove him and the Flames got a 23 and 21 year old for a 27 and 25 year old with.  At the time Hamilton was the best player, Lindholm has closed the gap but still the scales still tip in the Flames favour with Ferland being a one and done in Carolina.  The thing with Fox is he was committed to play his junior year, the Flames know he won't sign maybe he suffers a major injury that year so it's best not to take the risk knowing a major injury in his junior year, Rags probably don't offer much and you can't roll with him going into his senior year.  I don't know, I get many people just need to hate the guy for any reason possible, but it was a tough spot and IMO he came out of that okay.  

they offered the 2nd rounder to Carolina which is what I suggested we should have gone for on a deal. 

I don’t agree that it was an even trade even without Fox in the deal. It might be even, but even still, one year of Ferlsnd, you can’t know he’s not going to sign. Plus both Hanifin and Lindholm were unknown RFA deals. The Canes weren’t willing to pay them. Hanifin isn’t that great and Lindholm is good. The top 2 D makes the deal Satoshi Nakamoto!

49 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

they offered the 2nd rounder to Carolina which is what I suggested we should have gone for on a deal. 

I don’t agree that it was an even trade even without Fox in the deal. It might be even, but even still, one year of Ferlsnd, you can’t know he’s not going to sign. Plus both Hanifin and Lindholm were unknown RFA deals. The Canes weren’t willing to pay them. Hanifin isn’t that great and Lindholm is good. The top 2 D makes the deal Satoshi Nakamoto!

Can't say for a fact we get the same return a year earlier, I don't know if it was common knowledge that he wasn't gonna sign here when the trade was made, but there was some fan panic when he decided to go back for his junior year.  If Brad starts calling every GM looking for a 2nd I bet every GM questions the kids intentions, even if the Rangers knew they were getting him they could wait it out, if the player was going to play college why would the Rangers risk an asset that season. They spent a pick this summer because they wanted to sign him this summer, if he had told Harvard he was 100% going back for his senior year the Rangers would wait until he hit UFA. We can always speculate, but I think its unfair to criticize someone for something you can only speculate on.  It's a hard job, I think we're all foolish to suggest we can do any better.  

38 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Can't say for a fact we get the same return a year earlier, I don't know if it was common knowledge that he wasn't gonna sign here when the trade was made, but there was some fan panic when he decided to go back for his junior year.  If Brad starts calling every GM looking for a 2nd I bet every GM questions the kids intentions, even if the Rangers knew they were getting him they could wait it out, if the player was going to play college why would the Rangers risk an asset that season. They spent a pick this summer because they wanted to sign him this summer, if he had told Harvard he was 100% going back for his senior year the Rangers would wait until he hit UFA. We can always speculate, but I think its unfair to criticize someone for something you can only speculate on.  It's a hard job, I think we're all foolish to suggest we can do any better.  

ya, but it was still common knowledge he wasn’t signing with Carolina and they still got a 2nd. I know he wasn’t going to sign, and I think it was lip service by BT to ease the criticism. I just think you get more from waiting and doing the lone deal. Maybe that deal with the Canes doesn’t happen if he’s not in it, then you say no deal. At least that’s me. 

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

ya, but it was still common knowledge he wasn’t signing with Carolina and they still got a 2nd. I know he wasn’t going to sign, and I think it was lip service by BT to ease the criticism. I just think you get more from waiting and doing the lone deal. Maybe that deal with the Canes doesn’t happen if he’s not in it, then you say no deal. At least that’s me. 

I'm fine with the Dougie deal.

He's protected in CAR with an awesome defense, so he can just go nuts scoring.

Knew there might be some issues with Hanifin, due to the team dangling him for some time and the fans wanting him gone (some vocal ones at least).

Knew we would have trouble re-signing Ferland.

Suspected Fox was only going to sign in NY.

So, we don't make the Lindy deal.

We maybe get a 2nd for Fox from NY, or they just wait it out.

Essentially, we barely recoup the original pick.

We are no better defensively.

We get no new offense.

Maybe we get a better return elsewhere.

Doubt we would be any better off.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm fine with the Dougie deal.

He's protected in CAR with an awesome defense, so he can just go nuts scoring.

Knew there might be some issues with Hanifin, due to the team dangling him for some time and the fans wanting him gone (some vocal ones at least).

Knew we would have trouble re-signing Ferland.

Suspected Fox was only going to sign in NY.

So, we don't make the Lindy deal.

We maybe get a 2nd for Fox from NY, or they just wait it out.

Essentially, we barely recoup the original pick.

We are no better defensively.

We get no new offense.

Maybe we get a better return elsewhere.

Doubt we would be any better off.

Baertschi for a 2nd got us Andersson, but that doesn’t always happen. I am just saying I think that the deal didn’t have to include Fox and it’s still a fair deal in my eye. 

I just think the Fox deal should’ve been on its own and that would’ve been the 2nd that Rangers sent the Canes. It’s over but still critical of some of the picks the team gives up. It’s just kind of a down time for our team. I am just an arm chair GM. 

If BT still think that he got a good hockey team, he should look into his mirror again.  This team has no character, it doesn't got what it takes to be a playoff team.  It's far from just adding another PW forward.  This team has no anger after loss 8-3, it has no top line. Gosh, it doesn't have any line.  Everyday, they are still shifting the lines...  How can you play like that going into the playoff.  Last year we had 2 lines, this year, there is no line effective.  BT should be fired!

I can totally understand why so many people talking about Lucic after 3 Edmonton games.  Why is he here for?  He can't score, but you put him on PP.  Has he ever deflect a goal on PP?  How many fights did he do this season?  Why they are still playing him?  May as well bring Czarnik up to play some games.  Lucic trade itself is a downgrade to the team, most importantly wasting a roster space.  

On 2/3/2020 at 10:28 AM, travel_dude said:

The problem with the trades is that they essentially provided us with one capable D and one deteriorating one.

That for all the picks we gave up.

I'm more annoyed that Hamonic is as bad as he has been.

Perhaps we would be a better team without building the D that way, but we might be more like the Oilers.

Total crap on D.

My issue is more around the scouting of players signed as UFA.

Brouwer, Neal, Potter just to name a few.

Thinking that Lucic is what we needed.

Neal bought out would have been better for the team.

Trade at draft for a few measley picks.

We have good players, but are missing players in the 26+ age to build the team.

We have two decent partial lines.

We have the makings of a 3rd line.

We are missing players that complete the team.

Trade the 1st if it makes the team better for more than one season.

Trade one of the D if it makes the team better.

Over the years we have made so many trades, but we also missed out lot of significant trades.  Like last year before the playoff, we don't want to pay that high price, we didn't get anyone.  But we did lot of trades, useless ones.  We got lot of cheap and useless players, too many of them.  To a point, we need to change the line so often this year and we don't have stable lines.  So get Taylor Hall if you really want to win.  Or Michael Stone that power forward we suppose to get.  Please we don't need anymore of those 5-6 goals per season type of players.  

3 hours ago, crazyflames said:

If BT still think that he got a good hockey team, he should look into his mirror again.  This team has no character, it doesn't got what it takes to be a playoff team.  It's far from just adding another PW forward.  This team has no anger after loss 8-3, it has no top line. Gosh, it doesn't have any line.  Everyday, they are still shifting the lines...  How can you play like that going into the playoff.  Last year we had 2 lines, this year, there is no line effective.  BT should be fired!

Both of those points are on the players themselves and coaching respectively.

I can totally understand why so many people talking about Lucic after 3 Edmonton games.  Why is he here for?  He can't score, but you put him on PP.  Has he ever deflect a goal on PP?  How many fights did he do this season?  Why they are still playing him?  May as well bring Czarnik up to play some games.  Lucic trade itself is a downgrade to the team, most importantly wasting a roster space.  

Lucic was by no means the solution to the Neal issue, but if you think keeping Neal was going to change anything or that there was multiple options for BT to deal him then I think you're mistaken.

Over the years we have made so many trades, but we also missed out lot of significant trades.  Like last year before the playoff, we don't want to pay that high price, we didn't get anyone.  But we did lot of trades, useless ones.  We got lot of cheap and useless players, too many of them.  To a point, we need to change the line so often this year and we don't have stable lines.  So get Taylor Hall if you really want to win.  Or Michael Stone that power forward we suppose to get.  Please we don't need anymore of those 5-6 goals per season type of players.  

So basically paying any price to get an all star caliber player would fix everything?  If you look back on many of the threads you'll see there has been efforts to land a player of more significance. (Mark) Stone included.

at some point in time.. the management of this team.. will have to realize that not all talented players are leaders..yes we have talent in gaudreau/monahan/Brodie..  but they are not leaders.. never have been // never will be.. we need these core players replaced with Players that have Led championship teams.. Not all champions are leaders.. A team of 20 that wins usually has a core of 3- 5 players that know what it takes to win and infuses that determination on the rest of the team.. The players we have leading us were on championship teams but were not the leaders 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Baertschi for a 2nd got us Andersson, but that doesn’t always happen. I am just saying I think that the deal didn’t have to include Fox and it’s still a fair deal in my eye. 

I just think the Fox deal should’ve been on its own and that would’ve been the 2nd that Rangers sent the Canes. It’s over but still critical of some of the picks the team gives up. It’s just kind of a down time for our team. I am just an arm chair GM. 

1 year of Ferland and 3 years of Hamilton are worth a combined 12 years of Lindholm/Hanifin? Will you till feel this way when the Hurricanes, in 2 years, have to pay Hamilton almost what Lindholm/Hanifin make combined and maybe more? Is that control not worth the 2nd, and probably 3rd, Fox generated when he was dealt to the Rangers?

I get not liking the deal I think a fair argument can be made for it and if we are being honest if I were BT I would have kept Hamilton. But I do think it was a fair deal and it's not hard to argue a win for either side which is ideally what you want in a trade. 

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think people need to see how deals go down .

Do some for a second think the deal was done without Fox, and BT decided , " hey why don't you just take this guy too" . No.. at some point the deal hinged on Fox being included 

What we do know, is that he already knew he wasn't signing here ..pretty sure all teams knew he wasn't signing here ..not a position of strength.. bottom line safe to say the deal didn't go down without him being included or another name we'd hate even more just to be able to trade him separately maybe for a 2nd rounder 

Yes..we gave up an extremely talented dman.. but all reports point to Hanifin growing into just as good . And we have him locked up at a great price 

Hamilton will be making close to $10M long before Hanifin signs his next deal 

Also do we believe for a second ,that we'd pay Ferland $4.5?  Fans would be screaming for BTs head..

4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I think people need to see how deals go down .

Do some for a second think the deal was done without Fox, and BT decided , " hey why don't you just take this guy too" . No.. at some point the deal hinged on Fox being included 

What we do know, is that he already knew he wasn't signing here ..pretty sure all teams knew he wasn't signing here ..not a position of strength.. bottom line safe to say the deal didn't go down without him being included or another name we'd hate even more just to be able to trade him separately maybe for a 2nd rounder 

Yes..we gave up an extremely talented dman.. but all reports point to Hanifin growing into just as good . And we have him locked up at a great price 

Hamilton will be making close to $10M long before Hanifin signs his next deal 

Also do we believe for a second ,that we'd pay Ferland $4.5?  Fans would be screaming for BTs head..

I did say that in an earlier post in this thread that I would have said no if they still demanded that he was involved. I (myself) would not have added Fox to the deal and then I possibly would have backed out of it. I am saying that trading straight up player for player, the Hurricanes got the better deal. I still believe it. It's okay to have my opinion. I was disappointed then that he was in it and can still be. When we trade for players what we do with them after we've got them is on us, not on the team dealing them. It's not our fault that the Hurricanes failed to re-sign Ferland. Not only that, at the time, Lindholm was something llke a 45 point guy. Yes, he was an RFA, but we may not have had the ability to sign him to what we thought he was worth. That's part of the gamble. It's the same with Hanifin. There was a bit more control over the players because they were RFA's, but they also got a top2 D guy, and a lot here argue that the going rate for a top pairing Dman goes for a lot more, or exactly what we got, Hanifin and Lindholm and possibly a pick. We basically got a lot less back than what we paid for for Hamilton to the Bruins. Well, I get the idea that Hanifin is a 5th overall, but he sure hasn't played like a 5th overall at anytime during his career. And draft position does not count after they've been drafted. We aren't getting a 4th or 5th rounder if we trade Gaudreau. And Andersson would go for higher than a 2nd rounder if we traded him as well. Hanifin barely looks like a 2nd liner half of the time. So I still think that the deal was lost...

How many here were pissed at the Phaneuf deal? If we use hindsight we'd see that both teams lost. But at the time, everyone felt that Phaneuf was worth a hell of a lot more. The Leafs may have gotten a bit of a better deal... Anyway...

Long answer, but the short of it is, I did take it all into consideration... I still think what I think.

17 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

at some point in time.. the management of this team.. will have to realize that not all talented players are leaders..yes we have talent in gaudreau/monahan/Brodie..  but they are not leaders.. never have been // never will be.. we need these core players replaced with Players that have Led championship teams.. Not all champions are leaders.. A team of 20 that wins usually has a core of 3- 5 players that know what it takes to win and infuses that determination on the rest of the team.. The players we have leading us were on championship teams but were not the leaders 

That's the right point, BT bring in most of the guys on this team. He drafted, he traded, he made decision who stay or go.  Neal has no heart, Lucic has not heart either.  Like the coach said, there is no anger in this team.  Mentally this team is too weak, no leadership.  When they fall down, they can't get up.  With all the talent they got, they don't play like a team.  BT has every single responsibility of all the players and coaches on this team.  He is the GM for god sake!

18 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Both of those points are on the players themselves and coaching respectively.

Lucic was by no means the solution to the Neal issue, but if you think keeping Neal was going to change anything or that there was multiple options for BT to deal him then I think you're mistaken.

So basically paying any price to get an all star caliber player would fix everything?  If you look back on many of the threads you'll see there has been efforts to land a player of more significance. (Mark) Stone included.

Players and coaches are GM's responsibility.  As a GM you bring in Neal but you don't know how you gonn play him.  BT has to ask himself why he brought in Neal in the first place.  Lucic is a downgrade to Neal with terrible contract.    As for top players, you need impact players.  We have none.  Have you watched those playoff games?  Superstar needs to make difference.  Do we even have one?  All our super talented players are no show in playoff.  GM needs to show the fan he is committed to win.  He thinks that he got a great hockey team, but in fact he is far away to produce a team that is capable even playing in playoff.  

4 hours ago, crazyflames said:

Players and coaches are GM's responsibility.  As a GM you bring in Neal but you don't know how you gonn play him.  BT has to ask himself why he brought in Neal in the first place.  Lucic is a downgrade to Neal with terrible contract.    As for top players, you need impact players.  We have none.  Have you watched those playoff games?  Superstar needs to make difference.  Do we even have one?  All our super talented players are no show in playoff.  GM needs to show the fan he is committed to win.  He thinks that he got a great hockey team, but in fact he is far away to produce a team that is capable even playing in playoff.  

Agreed this team is nowhere it needs to be for a decent playoff run but throwing unknown amounts of money at players like stone (48 pts) or  Hall (43 pts) is not going to be a solution.  The Neal acquisition was not good for sure but it's not much better than the Lucic deal so thats kind of a wash.  Again as stated by many on these boards BT was active in trying to acquire impact players, just one reason or another things didnt happen. As much as I like Ward I think someone like Gallant needs to come in.

21 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Agreed this team is nowhere it needs to be for a decent playoff run but throwing unknown amounts of money at players like stone (48 pts) or  Hall (43 pts) is not going to be a solution.  The Neal acquisition was not good for sure but it's not much better than the Lucic deal so thats kind of a wash.  Again as stated by many on these boards BT was active in trying to acquire impact players, just one reason or another things didnt happen. As much as I like Ward I think someone like Gallant needs to come in.

I really have the problem with BT since last season early playoff exit.  He thinks Lucic move is the only thing we need to fix this team.  He thinks that we have the right pieces to go in deep in playoff.  By this, he should get fired.  This team is far from being a playoff team.  Lucic also is not gonna win you big game, because he doesn’t play big.  Stone got 5 points tonight, what was last time our key players got 5 points in a game to make the difference in games.  Very much invisible these days.  You can’t win games if your top players are invisible night after night.  Like I said many times, BT fail to build a team with identity. 

2 hours ago, crazyflames said:

I really have the problem with BT since last season early playoff exit.  He thinks Lucic move is the only thing we need to fix this team.  He thinks that we have the right pieces to go in deep in playoff.  By this, he should get fired.  This team is far from being a playoff team.  Lucic also is not gonna win you big game, because he doesn’t play big.  Stone got 5 points tonight, what was last time our key players got 5 points in a game to make the difference in games.  Very much invisible these days.  You can’t win games if your top players are invisible night after night.  Like I said many times, BT fail to build a team with identity. 

Stone hasn;t helped Vegas be any better than us.

Yes, we missed out on trades, but BT was trying to add.

Where I have the problem, beyond the Lucic trade, is that BT has issues pulling the trigger.

If the asking price for Toffoli was x, pay x.

Proces go up close to the TDL, so make them sooner.

Now we have a shortage on D, because we waited too long to make a deal.

Had we traded Brodie or Hamonic before, we might not have had a Gio injury.

We might have been in a better place to evaluate the remaining D.

I stay on record that BT has done as good a job as any GM in the league 

This team looks different with Zucker and Kadri in it and those didn't happen thru no fault of BT

I would put our current talent lineup against nearly any team.

Problem is , our players are not playing to what we expected them to 

Johnny is sulking

Janko has regressed 

Valimaki got injured 

It was natural to expect a bit of a dip because so many players had career years last year.. but bottom line is we are still in the hunt for not only a playoff spot but first in the Pacific.. it's just so tight it's a fine line between best or bust.

What concerns me right now, is just as Ward has said many times ..we aren't mad ..we aren't desperate ..players aren't doing that little bit extra..  that's not on BT..I don't even think it's on Ward..it's in that room .. leaders aren't leading 

5 hours ago, crazyflames said:

Could've gotten Stone, pretty sure Stone was set on Vegas and wouldn't do the extension here so there is that.  Also, I don't ever recall him stating Lucic was going to make the difference this year, he might have said last years group could show growth over the previous and that would be wrong as the performance has indicated.  I said earlier on the speculating, lets not pretend this guy only worked the draft, July 1, the day the Lucic trade happened, and the RFA signings.  Kadri deal fell through, and like Kadri almost anybody else with a list has Calgary on it.  We can look back on the lack of activity now, but there wasn't much league wide.

I think something that goes overlooked in evaluating GMs is those final pieces that push you over the top are the hardest to acquire, i.Tearing down isn't difficult, rebuilding isn't difficult it's pushing yourself to contender status and then winning that cup that is. Very good to great GMs like Doug Wilson, George McPhee etc are all good at what they do and still haven't found it nor did Steve Yzerman.  This is where you lose me on the criticism that Treliving did nothing or thought this team was ok. Clearly he did not if he was after Zucker and Kadri, he knew there were issues but the list of players who are going to fix that is small and often difficult to make. Moves for the sake of moves are not what's going to put you over the top, filling specific skill sets is and it's clear Treliving knew what was missing because he was targeting the right pieces, IMO at least. Just not so easy to make it work.

Normally teams that win cups get so through internal growth and I think clearly Treliving was expecting more growth out of guys like Monahan/Gaudreau this season and the fact they are not taking that step is IMO the biggest reason why this team is floundering. However, I also think that was a very reasonable bet to make at the time and the fact it isn't working out does not lay entirely at his feet. 

That being said this isn't to excuse him of blame and I understand there are people that don't like him and that's fine. I can understand the rationale for moving on but for me it would be a mistake, unless you've got a replacement in mind who is an upgrade but IMO that's tough to find. For me he's shown me enough good through his drafting and scouting process, the development process, the type of players he targets, his ability to handle RFA contracts and his general process on things to say he is good at what he does and deserves to keep going. Of course he has faults and he's make mistakes but as I've also said many times show me a GM who hasn't. Everyone makes mistakes and IMO Treliving generally learns from his. I've seen enough that he should continue and stop this cancel/fire culture that typically gets teams nowhere. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 11:20 AM, cross16 said:

I think something that goes overlooked in evaluating GMs is those final pieces that push you over the top are the hardest to acquire, i.Tearing down isn't difficult, rebuilding isn't difficult 

No, neither of these are difficult to check off the list.  Like you say, winning the cup is.  In order to do that, you have to do the above Well.  Either in microcomponents or the whole team at once.   You have to tear down right, you have to rebuild right.

That said, I'll throw in my own olive branch with Treliving, we can't blame just him.    

I watched Brian Burke shooting his mouth off the other day as an analyst.   Just super mad at the zamboni driver.  He went nuts.  Burke has a screw loose.  Always has.   It was known before he came here.    What caused it, we don't know (even though we assume it's rejection from Hazel Mae).

Yet

We hired him.

For all of Treliving's faults, firing  him won't fix brain-dead decisions like that.   They are coming from higher up.

Possibly higher than Ken King.

Flames will have their day but I'm not sure it will be under the same ownership structure.