Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

40 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

The thing about Draisaitl, is that if he were not in the shadow of McD, we'd be talking Johnny / Tarasenko numbers .. maybe 7 Mill ..tops

What is working against the OIlers (and Flames fans are loving it ) is the position behind McD

Yes. McD is generational ..yada yada..  but is he $7mill better than Draisaitl? A full Tarasenko Better ??

Without Leon the Ducks series is 4 maybe 5 games, McD for the most part did nothing in the playoffs , Leon was a force.

If they had held Mcd to a 5 year , say 9 mill?  let him have his payday in 5 years like all the other big names did ?  then they could hold Leon to maybe 7.

As its sits tho , if you give McD his crown at 13.5 , with all the other factors, I dont think its possible to get his camp to agree to anything less than 9 and change .. and personally just in a one on one comparison, I think they push for 10.

What i do feel tho, is that one is definitely gonna get ugly before it gets done 

By the sounds of it, Drai is looking for 9.  His agent is miffed about losing that first year towards UFA status.  Not worth 9.  More like a Tarasenko than Malkin.  One good year does not entitle you to that kind of money.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

By the sounds of it, Drai is looking for 9.  His agent is miffed about losing that first year towards UFA status.  Not worth 9.  More like a Tarasenko than Malkin.  One good year does not entitle you to that kind of money.

I think you mis read that, talk is the oilers are offering comparables to tarasenko, so around 7 million. So hes saying with mcdavid signing for 13.25, is mcdavid 7 million dollars better then draisital. Its an approx number but for comparables, can we really imagine if johnny had signed for 11 million and then we tried to offer mony a 6 million dollar contract, that seems like a slap in the face for a dynamic duo.

2 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I think you mis read that, talk is the oilers are offering comparables to tarasenko, so around 7 million. So hes saying with mcdavid signing for 13.25, is mcdavid 7 million dollars better then draisital. Its an approx number but for comparables, can we really imagine if johnny had signed for 11 million and then we tried to offer mony a 6 million dollar contract, that seems like a slap in the face for a dynamic duo.

No, that is what is read.  

Just now, Carty said:

Dave Semenko has passed away at 59 after a battle with cancer...

RIP Dave...

Sorry to hear this. Great guy and quite the character. I drank beer with him in the Lang SK bar back in the 80s, never laughed so hard listening to the stories.

Again I'm impressed by another move by BT! This was another savvy display of cap management..he just filled 3 roster spots for under $4 Million. Versteeg is a great resign at a really good value, Eddie Lack is Eddie Lack...not thrilled but the 50% salary retention is  near grand larceny. Murphy is another 7/8 Dman on the cheap. It's smart because all players are on contract years...it never hurts to get players who are playing for their careers. 

Kanzig fell to to the bottom of our prospect depth, I thought he had potential early on but he's been very slow to develop, atleast it was a late round pick he got packaged with. All in all BT has been busier than George McPhee, he's done well to get so much done prior to July 1st. 

With $11M in space he could spend around $5M to lock up Ferland and Bennett...still leaves us with enough space for a top 6 forward. It might be enough to fit a guy like Duchene in...I'm just saying!

The man is putting on a transactions clinic....these other GMs must be pretty awe struck with BTs productivity and all prior to July 1st at that. This will always sound funny to me but he's "filled a lot of holes" in 1 week. I'm glad we resigned Stone at good term and reasonable price. Makes the Russell deal look almost desperate on the Oilers part. 

On 6/27/2017 at 11:41 PM, cross16 said:

Brouwer could bounce back and I still think he will be a top 5 worst FA signing of last offseason. That deal was just bad the second it was signed. The positive is Treliving thus far how shown he is willing to, and does, learn from his mistakes. 

Most of BT's mistakes are FA signings.. Too much and for too long a term. He hasn't learned much when he continues to overpay.. Brouwer.... Stone....

We are still paying For the Mason Raymond mistake.. Now with Bouma and Murphy this option is closing fast for any more bad signings.

a01696f8e3b4d5c2fba13573e97d5596.png

On 6/29/2017 at 8:35 AM, MAC331 said:

Here we go again, these NHL GMs never learn, especially the ones in EDM. Tell me why any player regardless of success surpasses the highest paid players in the league and have been here for over 8 years ??? Idiotic management.

add:  and some of who have multiple SC Rings.

On 6/29/2017 at 8:35 AM, phoenix66 said:

The thing about Draisaitl, is that if he were not in the shadow of McD, we'd be talking Johnny / Tarasenko numbers .. maybe 7 Mill ..tops

What is working against the OIlers (and Flames fans are loving it ) is the position behind McD

Yes. McD is generational ..yada yada..  but is he $7mill better than Draisaitl? A full Tarasenko Better ??

Without Leon the Ducks series is 4 maybe 5 games, McD for the most part did nothing in the playoffs , Leon was a force.

If they had held Mcd to a 5 year , say 9 mill?  let him have his payday in 5 years like all the other big names did ?  then they could hold Leon to maybe 7.

As its sits tho , if you give McD his crown at 13.5 , with all the other factors, I dont think its possible to get his camp to agree to anything less than 9 and change .. and personally just in a one on one comparison, I think they push for 10.

What i do feel tho, is that one is definitely gonna get ugly before it gets done 

Some say it is because he played a lot of last season playing with McJesus is why he has the numbers.. I am not in that camp however...

26 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Most of BT's mistakes are FA signings.. Too much and for too long a term. He hasn't learned much when he continues to overpay.. Brouwer.... Stone....

We are still paying For the Mason Raymond mistake.. Now with Bouma and Murphy this option is closing fast for any more bad signings.

a01696f8e3b4d5c2fba13573e97d5596.png

I agree that Bouma was a mistake; should have gone to arbitration and only would have been stuck with a shorter term.

Murphy was reported to be a take-and-buyout part of the deal.  I would have like to see what he had and simply sent him down.   I guess it's a question of clogging up the AHL to, so whatever.

Raymond was a rookie mistake.  No excuses.

Brouwer - well, umm. 

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Brouwer - well, umm. 

I  get the hate on the brouwer contract, but at 4 years( he only has 3 left) who exactly is he preventing us from signing? I get that everyone hates the deal, but our Defence is deep, and our forward group is deep at this point. So hes not exactly preventing anything, and its not causing any harm, so for everyone that complains about the brouwer, stone etc contracts, they arent causing any issues. I get that everyone could say we could acquire a top RW with that cap space, but who exactly is that top RW, because I have pointed out that the top RW's in the league are almost impossible to acquire.

I dont get the complaints about contracts anymore, as long as BT manages the cap and puts a great team on the ice who cares.

Part of the equation for our window opening up, is that our division is probably at its weakest right now. 

Arizona, Vegas, and Vancouver will all be bottom feeders.

SJ and LA are trending in the wrong direction.

Anaheim and Edmonton are stagnant.

We have a real chance to push through to the top of the division right now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I  get the hate on the brouwer contract, but at 4 years( he only has 3 left) who exactly is he preventing us from signing? I get that everyone hates the deal, but our Defence is deep, and our forward group is deep at this point. So hes not exactly preventing anything, and its not causing any harm, so for everyone that complains about the brouwer, stone etc contracts, they arent causing any issues. I get that everyone could say we could acquire a top RW with that cap space, but who exactly is that top RW, because I have pointed out that the top RW's in the league are almost impossible to acquire.

I dont get the complaints about contracts anymore, as long as BT manages the cap and puts a great team on the ice who cares.

Paying for playoff performance and supposed grit.

That's the issue.

He shows up against Anaheim or whoever, then the regular season can be somewhat overlooked.

Look at the long term impact, not just this season:

Backlund re-signing

Bennett

Tkachuk

Smith a FA in two years.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Paying for playoff performance and supposed grit.

That's the issue.

He shows up against Anaheim or whoever, then the regular season can be somewhat overlooked.

Look at the long term impact, not just this season:

Backlund re-signing

Bennett

Tkachuk

Smith a FA in two years.

We will have 22 million in cap space next year so is that going to prevent backlund from resigning? Obviously that doesnt include the bennett bridge deal or ferland, but then youre looking at 18 million to resign backlund. Depending on how much backlund signs for or if we trade him we will have plenty of cap for tkachuk.

I am looking at the long term impact, and its more then fine. 

5 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

We will have 22 million in cap space next year so is that going to prevent backlund from resigning? Obviously that doesnt include the bennett bridge deal or ferland, but then youre looking at 18 million to resign backlund. Depending on how much backlund signs for or if we trade him we will have plenty of cap for tkachuk.

I am looking at the long term impact, and its more then fine. 

Next year....

22m with 5f, 5d and 1g signed.  Have to fill it out with deals for another 9F, 2D, and 1G.

3 RFA's to sign this year.

Let's be honest, you can't just play all AHL players to fill the roster.

the following year....

28m with 4f, 5d and 0 goalies... Have to fill it out with deals for another 10F, 2D, and 2G.

An additional RFA to sign, plus Backlund's deal kicks in.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Next year....

22m with 5f, 5d and 1g signed.  Have to fill it out with deals for another 9F, 2D, and 1G.

3 RFA's to sign this year.

Let's be honest, you can't just play all AHL players to fill the roster.

the following year....

28m with 4f, 5d and 0 goalies... Have to fill it out with deals for another 10F, 2D, and 2G.

An additional RFA to sign, plus Backlund's deal kicks in.

So next year if we sign bennett and ferland for a combined 5( which is probably over the top but sure) and backlund at 6, that leaves us with 11 million for 6 forwards 2D and 1 goalie. Lets go out on a limb here and assume we dont spend more then 1 million for our bottom pairing D men, that gives us 9 million for 6 forwards and 1 goalie. Im going to assume we bring in some guys from the AAA, which is fine not loads of space but we have plenty for the important players. Especially with a d corp like that, and mony, backlund. bennett down the middle who cares. I forsee we probably trade stone or backlund as janko/andersson probably to come in by next season, which gives us even more cap space.

If brouwer can rebound, the deal is fine and if he doesnt oh well, the team will be fine going forward.

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

So next year if we sign bennett and ferland for a combined 5( which is probably over the top but sure) and backlund at 6, that leaves us with 11 million for 6 forwards 2D and 1 goalie. Lets go out on a limb here and assume we dont spend more then 1 million for our bottom pairing D men, that gives us 9 million for 6 forwards and 1 goalie. Im going to assume we bring in some guys from the AAA, which is fine not loads of space but we have plenty for the important players. Especially with a d corp like that, and mony, backlund. bennett down the middle who cares. I forsee we probably trade stone or backlund as janko/andersson probably to come in by next season, which gives us even more cap space.

If brouwer can rebound, the deal is fine and if he doesnt oh well, the team will be fine going forward.

Does anyone think Bonino signing for 4.4M effects all the high dollar talk for Backlund ?