Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

I agree you can't pin the draft picks on BT, that's faith and info provided from the Scout department plus there are always inherent risks when it comes to drafting and development. BT's biggest blemishes lie in some bad contracts like Raymond,Bollig..Engelland actually made up for his overpayment as time went on. BT's other big gaffe was trying to house 3 goalies last season...it was a big debacle that left us with the worst goalie tandem in the NHL. I think Feaster did a better job then he's given credit for although he did try to oversell his moves far too often and the Oreilly offer sheet fiasco couldn't be ignored. BT has done a good job setting this team up for the expansion and we've locked up a foundational core group of players. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rickross said:

I agree you can't pin the draft picks on BT, that's faith and info provided from the Scout department plus there are always inherent risks when it comes to drafting and development. BT's biggest blemishes lie in some bad contracts like Raymond,Bollig..Engelland actually made up for his overpayment as time went on. BT's other big gaffe was trying to house 3 goalies last season...it was a big debacle that left us with the worst goalie tandem in the NHL. I think Feaster did a better job then he's given credit for although he did try to oversell his moves far too often and the Oreilly offer sheet fiasco couldn't be ignored. BT has done a good job setting this team up for the expansion and we've locked up a foundational core group of players. 

and yet that same season NYI ran with 3 goalies and had one of the best Goalie records that year .

It was the coaches job to manage it 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

and yet that same season NYI ran with 3 goalies and had one of the best Goalie records that year .

Yup!

everything that made Hartley successful the year before, he did opposite in the year of the three. 

We still need a goalie. A better one than Elliott. How can a team be outplaying the other and then your goalie loses simple goaltending fundamentals? That can't happen in the playoffs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

That's the thing is you can't really lay the blame all on BT as Hiller and Ramo were good enough to get us past the 1st round of playoffs. No one expected such a big drop off in goalie performance the following year and Ortio deserved atleast a look and his 1 way contract situation handcuffed the Flames and was on Feasters hands. It likely did fall moreso on BH, our D men took a nose dive in production that second year and we couldn't keep pucks out of our zone and net that season. 

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Best wishes for Conroy.  

Usually, we see old managers go to new teams and immediately trade for his pet projects from his old team.  (Ie. Weisbrod and Baertchi/Granlund.). Would be interesting for us to trade for some Sabres players... 

Would Don Maloney make for a natural fit to be assistant GM if Conroy leaves?

41 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Best wishes for Conroy.  

Usually, we see old managers go to new teams and immediately trade for his pet projects from his old team.  (Ie. Weisbrod and Baertchi/Granlund.). Would be interesting for us to trade for some Sabres players... 

I would think so.. and kind of ironic in a way :)

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Best wishes for Conroy.  

He could be in line for POHO job once Burke decides his time is done.  

16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Speaking of our PoHO, he was on Prime Time Sports today weighing in on a few things.

I do like that he shoots from the hip! Wasn't sure where to put this, but yeah...

Great interview.  It's good to hear that he's always seen Calgary as a place where he would love to retire to since his younger days.  So the thought of him leaving at his age now to work for another organization in the future doesn't look likely.  I think he's emotionally committed to the Flames long term.

It's interesting they asked him what his job description is because I think many of us wondered the same thing.  By his explanation, it sounds like he does all the community and corporate fundraising stuff behind the scenes that normally GMs do and in doing so, frees up BT to work more closely on the other details of managing the team roster.  Scouting sounds like his favorite part of the job and obviously, provide BT with experience and advice.

In all, it's sounds like a semi retired, work at your own pace, senior advisory position.  

• 1 month later...

I know the Ovechkin rumours are complete crap, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames at least internally have kicked the tires on Ovi. One of my favorite things about BT is that he is in on just about everything. When he acquired Hamilton, apparently lots of teams didn't know he was even available. Then last year at the draft he darn near acquired a Vezina trophy finalist. I don't imagine Ovi coming here, I just guess what I'm saying is it's nice having a GM that leaves no stone unturned and the future is looking bright in Calgary!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I know the Ovechkin rumours are complete crap, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames at least internally have kicked the tires on Ovi. One of my favorite things about BT is that he is in on just about everything. When he acquired Hamilton, apparently lots of teams didn't know he was even available. Then last year at the draft he darn near acquired a Vezina trophy finalist. I don't imagine Ovi coming here, I just guess what I'm saying is it's nice having a GM that leaves no stone unturned and the future is looking bright in Calgary!

That's the feeling I get too.  I don't believe any deal is on the horizon but I do believe BT made the phone call to ask.

Borrowed these excerpts from HF:

Brad Treliving in the studio with Boomer & Pinder:

- At 17, 18 Treliving was still figuring out how to walk and chew gum at the same time.

- Thinks Vegas will have some higher salaries on the wings (hint hint hint).

- Doesn't think the Flames make the playoffs without the Stone deal.

- Still thinks Lazar is worth more than whoever the Flames would have taken in the second round this year.

- Not trading the first for only 82 games of help.

- Moving up is difficult; move down scenarios is something they're looking at; crystal ball is they're picking at 16.

- They're some high risk-rewards picks at 16 they're playing with.

- Brad talks to everybody and has lots of friends.

- Maybe better for Parsons to get starts at ECHL level than juniors; strongly suggests both Rittich and Gillies are better served by spending another year developing.

- Been in touch with Versteeg's agent the other day; would like to have him back; priorities are goaltending and blue line.

- Offersheets seldom work but does envision a day when they're a more popular practice; less players reaching UFA and a flat cap.

- Thinks Jankowski should have been rookie of the year in the AHL; whether he makes the NHL depends on his summer/atittude; knocking on the door, challenging for a spot (basically makes it sound like it's his spot to lose).

- Ferland's a unique player; can be dominant at times; one of a few guys that combine size and skill.

"What's underrated about Micheal is his skill; he's a skilled guy. He's got an excellent shot, skilled hands".

Challenge for Ferland is consistency; they'll get a contract done, if nothing else arbitration will get it done.

"I look at Micheal as a unique player who could have a real impact for us. I'm excited...I think he's scratching the surface of what he can attain. He's an important player for us." (yup, sounds like they're just itching to get rid of him).

- Retain the rights to Rafikov for perpetuity; defected player.

- Mattsson rights they hold for another year; they'd like him to continue his development in North America.

Treliving also mentioned on Fan960 that Schneider will play another season in the WHL.

2 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

- At 17, 18 Treliving was still figuring out how to walk and chew gum at the same time.

- Still thinks Lazar is worth more than whoever the Flames would have taken in the second round this year.

- Moving up is difficult; move down scenarios is something they're looking at; crystal ball is they're picking at 16.

- Maybe better for Parsons to get starts at ECHL level than juniors; strongly suggests both Rittich and Gillies are better served by spending another year developing.

- Been in touch with Versteeg's agent the other day; would like to have him back; priorities are goaltending and blue line.

- Offersheets seldom work but does envision a day when they're a more popular practice; less players reaching UFA and a flat cap.

- Thinks Jankowski should have been rookie of the year in the AHL; whether he makes the NHL depends on his summer/atittude; knocking on the door, challenging for a spot (basically makes it sound like it's his spot to lose).

- Ferland's a unique player; can be dominant at times; one of a few guys that combine size and skill.

"What's underrated about Micheal is his skill; he's a skilled guy. He's got an excellent shot, skilled hands".

Challenge for Ferland is consistency; they'll get a contract done, if nothing else arbitration will get it done.

"I look at Micheal as a unique player who could have a real impact for us. I'm excited...I think he's scratching the surface of what he can attain. He's an important player for us." (yup, sounds like they're just itching to get rid of him).

- Mattsson rights they hold for another year; they'd like him to continue his development in North America.

Treliving also mentioned on Fan960 that Schneider will play another season in the WHL.

Lots of good stuff there, BT is a solid GM.

Is the bolded sarcasm?  Hope so cause trading him would be the wrong move at this point.

13 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

The best thing that could happen for this team would be to have LV take Brouwer but not sure it happens. It could given the history between him and McPhee.

Next best thing would be to trade Bouma and Stajan to open up spots for better players.

Stone did the job no question, the other half of that equation was getting Wideman off the ice altogether. He was absolutely terrible last season.

If he does bring back Stone it will be a question of price.

Agree wholeheartedly on the use of the 2nd to get Lazar. I believe he will do well here.

Smart to only use the 2017 1st round pick for a difference maker with some built in contract control. Matt Dumba D from MINN anyone ?

If they have thoughts of Parsons being in Calgary in 3 years time an ECHL start this season would be good for him.

Resigning Versteeg makes all kinds of sense.

All eyes will be on Jankowski this camp.

Not unlike Bennett, this will be Ferland's season to define himself. I would like to see him stay on LW with Backlund and Frolik for his best advantage for success.

*Good interview