(Update) Lance Bouma gets $2.2 AAV for 3 years

JTech780

I thought it was about time Bouma had his own topic, he has earned it this year.

Bouma has been one of our best players this year, after the Gaudreau/Monahan/Hudler line, Bouma has been our best forward. He does all the little things required to win, he hits everything, he lays down and blocks a ton of shots, he is really good penalty killer, he plays well defensively, and he has added offense to his game this year. I think he has showed that he is much more than just a 4th line energy guy. 

I don't see his offense as a fluke or a one year thing, he has really worked hard on his skating and it is a strong point for him, he has an under rated shot and he goes hard to the net and battles hard. I think he can keep this current production up.

I can't say enough good things about Bouma and I see him as being a key cog of this team going forward.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have liked Bouma since his days in the dub. I must admit, I had him pegged as strictly an energy player in the NHL. While that is still the jist of his game, he is so much more valuable to the team.

His offensive game is definitely underrated, as I am sometimes surprised by his ability to thread perfect passes through traffic and his shot is one of the best on the team IMO. He is turning into a very effective two-way guy and he may never put up 30 a year but he scores at the right time.

His most impressive trait though is his work-ethic. He embodies the morale of this team and is a warrior game-in game-out.

I too am a big lance Bouma fan and he is the type of player I think the flames have lacked. Someone who can bring that fiestiness on more then just the 4th line so I see him as a big cog in their success this year and moving forward. Having said that I don't I would be putting him down for down for 14/15 goals a years. His shooting percentage at almost 16% is very high and I think is a tough number for him to sustain going forward. I see him settling in at the 8-12 goal range going forwarding being an extremely effective 3rd liner.

One of the many things that I admire about Lance Bouma is his versatility.

A natural center, but he has no problems playing at either wing.

He has discovered his offense this year, and basically can play anywhere in the bottom 9 forward positions.

Defensively responsible enough to play in the last minute while holding a lead.

Blocks a lot of shots, plays well on the PK, and will literally fight for his teammates.

Most successful play-off teams need a player just like Bouma.

I too am a big lance Bouma fan and he is the type of player I think the flames have lacked. Someone who can bring that fiestiness on more then just the 4th line so I see him as a big cog in their success this year and moving forward. Having said that I don't I would be putting him down for down for 14/15 goals a years. His shooting percentage at almost 16% is very high and I think is a tough number for him to sustain going forward. I see him settling in at the 8-12 goal range going forwarding being an extremely effective 3rd liner.

He is exactly the type of player you hope is a 4th liner on you team. To be successful, you need to roll four lines. Having a Bouma there just make your team that much better. Have him available to take PK minutes or shutting down top players. Put him out there with a minute left in a one-goal game.

He is very effective playing with Jones and Backlund because Backs provides the possession, Jones drives the play and Bouma blocks/hits to create turnovers. Another option would be a Bouma/Granlund/Jooris combo or a Bouma/Arnold/Shore combo next year. Having any of those as a 4th line would be a killer.

He is exactly the type of player you hope is a 4th liner on you team. To be successful, you need to roll four lines. Having a Bouma there just make your team that much better. Have him available to take PK minutes or shutting down top players. Put him out there with a minute left in a one-goal game.He is very effective playing with Jones and Backlund because Backs provides the possession, Jones drives the play and Bouma blocks/hits to create turnovers. Another option would be a Bouma/Granlund/Jooris combo or a Bouma/Arnold/Shore combo next year. Having any of those as a 4th line would be a killer.

Your talking about a 3rd line imo. I don't think your utilizing assets very well if you use Bouma- backlund-Jones in a 4th line role. Your 4th line should play maybe 5-8 mins a night and I'd want those guys in at least double digits.

Your talking about a 3rd line imo. I don't think your utilizing assets very well if you use Bouma- backlund-Jones in a 4th line role. Your 4th line should play maybe 5-8 mins a night and I'd want those guys in at least double digits.

I was mixing thoughts there. I was saying that Bouma would be a very effective player on the 4th line with

Jooris and Granlund or Arnold and Shore. Having your 4th line only playing 8 minutes is old-NHL usage. You need to be able to balance the lines out a bit better, so that your top 3 lines play no more than 48 ,inutes. Your 4th should be also effective at putting the puck in the net and able to play up to 12 minutes.

I was saying that with Backs and Jones he has been effective, but I think you need a pure goal scorer on your 2nd line.

I don't have any issues with a fourth line with utility. I think it was Sutter (ironically) that recently said if you have a line playing 6 minutes a night you aren't a Stanley Cup caliber team.

Bouma can give you good high energy even strength minutes chipping in a goal every so often. He can also play PK and move up to a higher line of you need him to.

Add the work ethic and you have a really good depth player. Great season by him.

Bouma is 

I was mixing thoughts there. I was saying that Bouma would be a very effective player on the 4th line with
Jooris and Granlund or Arnold and Shore. Having your 4th line only playing 8 minutes is old-NHL usage. You need to be able to balance the lines out a bit better, so that your top 3 lines play no more than 48 ,inutes. Your 4th should be also effective at putting the puck in the net and able to play up to 12 minutes.

I was saying that with Backs and Jones he has been effective, but I think you need a pure goal scorer on your 2nd line.

I would play Bouma with Bennett next year on the third line. He has shown he has the ability to play 3rd line minutes and have 3rd line production. Bouma would also serve as protection defensively for Bennett. 

I think playing Bouma on the 4th line would be a slap in the face to player that has earned more of a role.

Bouma is 

I would play Bouma with Bennett next year on the third line. He has shown he has the ability to play 3rd line minutes and have 3rd line production. Bouma would also serve as protection defensively for Bennett. 

I think playing Bouma on the 4th line would be a slap in the face to player that has earned more of a role.

Don't confuse an excellent role player with a pure goal scorer. Bouma is having a career year, no doubt. But let's take him for what he is; an effective 2-way, shot blocking, energy guy that is shooting north of 15%. And doing that with two guys that drive the play. Remember Jackman had a 10 goal, 10 assist season?

It's no slight to Bouma if he is playing 10+ minutes on a line, plus getting PK time. The big reason we have a 4th line playing reduced minutes is that Bollig doesn't play effectively beyond that. Stajan is capable. Byron and Ferland are capable. Bouma playing on the 4th line next year means we have a stacked enough roster to play him there. You know, like playoff contenders do.

You see Bennett a our 3rd line C, seriously ?

To start the season, yes there is no way he starts any higher than that. Gaudreau and Monahan both started on the 3rd line and forced their way up the line up, Bennett will do the same.

The Flames played hard ball with Bouma last off-season offering him an extremely cheap (show me) 1 year deal.  Thankfully he signed because if this fish had gotten away we’d be much lower in the standings today and well out of the playoff race.  Bouma made huge strides this season and he showed us all, now it’s time to pay the piper.  Plain and simple the guy is a warrior, he hits everything in sight (legally), contributes at both ends of the ice and would stand in front of anyone’s slapper.  I want this guy on my team and I’d be in favor of locking him up long term, say 4-5yr deal. 

----------
Imagine for a minute a team dressing 12 identical Bouma’s on any given night, now that would be entertaining and likely playoff hockey.  Bouma has already surpassed 4th line duties when compared to the talent presently on this team.

------------

Bouma and Backland have to be next in line when it comes to negotiations.

The Flames played hard ball with Bouma last off-season offering him an extremely cheap (show me) 1 year deal.  Thankfully he signed because if this fish had gotten away we’d be much lower in the standings today and well out of the playoff race.  Bouma made huge strides this season and he showed us all, now it’s time to pay the piper.  Plain and simple the guy is a warrior, he hits everything in sight (legally), contributes at both ends of the ice and would stand in front of anyone’s slapper.  I want this guy on my team and I’d be in favor of locking him up long term, say 4-5yr deal. 

----------

Imagine for a minute a team dressing 12 identical Bouma’s on any given night, now that would be entertaining and likely playoff hockey.  Bouma has already surpassed 4th line duties when compared to the talent presently on this team.

------------

Hey I love Bouma for what he brings, but 12 identical Bouma's would make this year's tanking Buffalo Sabres look like a powerhouse. And yes, we need to pay him.

----------

------------

Bouma has very little leverage this summer.  That said, he will be signed.  Probably double his current pay.  No issue there.  Backlund is the more difficult fish to keep.

I recall reading last year during the negotiations that Bouma (whether directly or through his agent) said he had a lot more to offer than what he was being used for last year. Well, lets be honest. He was right, he can provide serious shut down role from any forward position, provides some solid secondary scoring (14-16-30, 4 GWG, +11 and 50 PIM with 9 games left) and a lot of energy. This is a guy I can see as a key-third line guy who can step into top 6 if needed that seems to be on every Cup winning team (sadly, also the type that seems to be the first guys gone when shedding cap, hopefully we can avoid that). I would say double his pay from this year (his cap hit this year is only 0.577 mil), doubling that gives you a 1.15 mil/year guy who can play bottom 9, provides secondary scoring and shuts guys down. Maybe even a little more than double would still be good. And hopefully with a bit of term (4-5 years or so).  Even during the Colorado games the analysts were talking that he still has some upside, and that they believe this year won't even be a career year for him 5-10 years down the road. While paying for potential is bad, paying for his hard work, his work ethic, his shut-down abilities and what he has provided for scoring warrants at least something within Bollig's pay-range.

I chose him already for the Jersey give away contest on November 19th.

He may not be the guy to play a fancy style, even the second line is out of reach, but he will be the important part to win the SC sooner or later. He is the guy getting under the skin, the into the face player that we need to wear out opposing players.

Bouma will be an RFA at seasons end.  His 1 yr deal @ 0.775mil will be fulfilled.  Looking at his numbers and his play I see a big raise coming.  Skates well with speed, decent hands, pays up and down the #2-4 lines, lots of PK time, not afraid to sacrifice his body in the shooting lanes, the most physical player on the team and his offensive output has more than doubled from last year.  I’m not sure what it would take to sign him but at 1.5mil/season I’d be happy, but it might take more.  Comments?

8fdb6916d7a5969088542f2a46006a26.png

I think a one year deal in the 1mill to 1.2 mill range should suffice. I'm not a fan of locking him up for multiple years because I'm not convinced he can repeat this performance. I see him settling in to the 3rd line role and putting up 8-12 goals a year. A one year deal gives each of Bouma and the Flames a chance to establish what he is while still keeping him a RFA at the duration of the contract. I think Bouma has a future with the flames for sure it's just in what capacity. Yes the flames have talent coming but they don't have many prospects what will bring the type of game Bouma does. It's a weakness of their systems actually imo.

Archived