(Update) Lance Bouma gets $2.2 AAV for 3 years

JTech780

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bouma got a bump to the Backlund line last year due to injury replacement.  Prior to that he was typically a 4th liner.  I really don't consider him to be a top 9 player, salary aside.  He is a top pair PK guy, but I wonder what his success rate is this season.  Is his usage or being injured the reason our PK sucked this year?  I don't honesty know.

Bouma's current reality is that he has been passed by Colborne and Ferland will see time with Bennett which drops him into the 4th line LW role. I guess we shouldn't be to unhappy about that for now until Ferland warrants additional pay. I wouldn't say at this point that Ferland is a given due to not really showing any advancement of his potential talents. I believe he will be given another opportunity to play with Bennett to start next season but if he doesn't do anything with it he may become a spare part.

Does anyone believe Bouma has decent trade value to a team that needs to add toughness (like MTL)?

I've nothing against Bouma and feel for him being injured this season.

My bigger issue is it seems we have so much bottom 6 redundancy that I wouldn't mind moving a few of them for prospects with better skillsets than what seems to be "try your hardest". Other teams have some of that skillset but nowhere in the top 6 to put them.

Anyone think it's possible or am I blowing smoke?

Bouma's current reality is that he has been passed by Colborne and Ferland will see time with Bennett which drops him into the 4th line LW role. I guess we shouldn't be to unhappy about that for now until Ferland warrants additional pay. I wouldn't say at this point that Ferland is a given due to not really showing any advancement of his potential talents. I believe he will be given another opportunity to play with Bennett to start next season but if he doesn't do anything with it he may become a spare part.

I'm less certain that Ferland has passed him. Colborne definitely. 

Ferland of last year's playoffs? Definitely ahead. Ferland aggregated over this season? About on par with a healthy Bouma. I honstly was most disappointed with Ferland's lack of progression this year. If he steps it up then yes. But as it stands right now no. 

Bouma I'd wait to evaluate until we see a full season of him healthy again. 

As for the trade value, I'm sure there are teams that would add him. But right now I'd say he has more value to us. 

A 4th line with Bouma and Hathaway centered by either Stajan, Grant or Shore could be both quite physical ad put up a good number of points. 

I think there would be interest in Bouma but in not sure ther much value there. I think teams would like to have him but his contract makes it a real tough fit. Whatever team was interested would want to send salary back I think.

I agree that right now Boumas best value is probably to the flames. Let him get healthy and see if he can build off of his good season last year. I agree h has been passed but I just think his contract means his values is very limited.

A lot of people have been predicting the salary cap will turn the league's pay structure in a way that star players get $6-mil+ while everybody in the "middle tier" $2.5 to $5.5-mil range gets squeezed out, probably forced to play in the KHL for that money.

Most teams will be built like the Blackhawks who have identified their core of 5 or 6 players.  They have only a couple "middle tier" guys on the roster and the rest of the players are under $2-mil each.

I feel while depth is important, you just can't afford those $2.5-mil to $5-mil guys anymore and still have cap space to pay star players and contend for a Cup.  Stars are game changers so teams must keep them.  After that, the separation between a $1.5-mil player and a $4-mil player isn't enough to justify paying the $4-mil guy more than twice the money. 

I feel that is the way to build a winner moving forward.

I'm fine paying a star in the middle tier price range if we can get them to sign that contract, aka Brodie and Hamilton.  I'm just not okay with the true middle tier guys like Wideman, Stajan, Backlund...even Frolik, don't want too many guys in that middle tier range.  If Colborne wants $3-mil after scoring 20-goals, then he can find that via UFA.

There is a huge difference between paying your stars $10.5mm x2 (Chicago) and paying your stars $7-$8mm each (St Louis, Pittsburg, ANA...). Chicago is a rare exception, and unless you've got equivalent players, which no one does, there is no issue with equivalent contracts.

I think there would be interest in Bouma but in not sure ther much value there. I think teams would like to have him but his contract makes it a real tough fit. Whatever team was interested would want to send salary back I think.

I agree that right now Boumas best value is probably to the flames. Let him get healthy and see if he can build off of his good season last year. I agree h has been passed but I just think his contract means his values is very limited.

The plus side of having Bouma, at his salary, on our roster, going into the expansion, is he takes a nice chunk out of the 25% min cap.

We're proliferating everything to manage around an expansion draft.

Is that something we should actually be doing?

Should we just manage the squad with little thought of expansion?

My thoughts are that we're allowing it to get in the way from just growing a good roster, from a fan perspective.

I think that all the uncertainty surrounding the proposed expansion actually opens up additional avenues for discussion.

My projected 2017/2018 roster with no expansion would be substantially different than the one that I'd propose with one or two new teams joining the league.

The GMs in the league have a tough job already, and it just got tougher when the proposed expansion was announced.

Long term planning has got to be difficult when the rules haven't even been finalized.

I think that all the uncertainty surrounding the proposed expansion actually opens up additional avenues for discussion.

My projected 2017/2018 roster with no expansion would be substantially different than the one that I'd propose with one or two new teams joining the league.

The GMs in the league have a tough job already, and it just got tougher when the proposed expansion was announced.

Long term planning has got to be difficult when the rules haven't even been finalized.

Pretty sure this is why they released the "framework" now is so the GM's have some time to get organized about expansion.

my thought would be, a team has to protect the NMC/NTCs that have more than one year left on a contract. I think a last year of a clause should be open to no protection as it would really only be one year anyway. Although, I guess I counter my own idea because a player negotiated in good faith to not move the last year and not wanting to move just before free agency. 

One clause they should put in is, at the TDL a player on his last year could be dealt. It would be cool that way. 

Instead of having to get a players permission.

Archived