Flames Defense

CheersMan

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Watching Gaudreau do well in situations where he has speedy linemates, Gaudreau excels.  A.k.a Larkin, Kane, Hall, even Hudler... I'm convinced we only need to add a speedy RW too the top line and Gaudreau will return to form.

Monahan alone is too slow but he's one good finisher when he eventually catches up to the play.  Ferland and Chiasson also aren't speed demons.

In regards to Bennett, they played Bennett centering Gaudreau for a 5 game stretch in December and there was no chemistry.  Then, they tried Bennett-Monahan-Gaudreau with Johnny moved to RW and again, nothing.

They tried Bennett on the second line with Backlund-Frolik and also, nothing.

I don't think it's for a lack of trying.  Bennett simply doesn't have the elite vision required to play with big boys.  Comparably, Draisaitl has so much more patience.  He knows to buy time, delay, sprinkle some hesitation,  etc to open up passing lanes.  Bennett is too much of a bull in a China shop.  

Not that Monahan has elite vision but at least Monahan is a perimeter shooting threat whereas Bennett has to score all his goals within 6 feet of the net. Yet, lacks size to get there consistently.  He needs to get that Bo Horvat build and sacrifice some speed.

But then speed was one of his assets in Juniors.

Which, going back to his draft, the knock on him was that he played a rough game yet failed the combine miserably.  Think Gilbert Brule, 5'-11" power forward.

In my opinion, trade him while someone still thinks he can be something in this league... If we wait too long, then we're looking at Nail Yakupov type returns.

I think you are dead wrong with your thinking on Bennett and he learned plenty this season. Also just because GG tried a few combinations on small samples as he was learning about his players shouldn't mean he doesn't go back to them. No to trading Bennett.

13 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think you are dead wrong with your thinking on Bennett and he learned plenty this season. Also just because GG tried a few combinations on small samples as he was learning about his players shouldn't mean he doesn't go back to them. No to trading Bennett.

Depends what we can trade him for. 

44 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

He's also playing on bigger ice & under the more stringent IIHF rules.

More ice, more room to maneuver.

IIHF rules less hits, hacks, etc. again causing more room to maneuver without fear.

Maybe instead of getting him other linemates until there is a fit we could lobby the NHL to go to international rules & ice. :lol:

It's too bad we can't get the refs to just call penalties a penalty.

Can you imagine if our moderators put the whistle away just because we're in OT on a hot topic?

43 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's too bad we can't get the refs to just call penalties a penalty.

Can you imagine if our moderators put the whistle away just because we're in OT on a hot topic?

They tried that. It didn't work. People like you complained that the refs were trying to control the game too much. Too many penalties and too much PP/PK time.

And some mods are better off putting their whistle away.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Get tired typng his name.  Adam Ollas-Mattsson.  Too many consonants.

How close do we think he is to being ready? Or are the suggestions for years down the line? or this year? Wouldn't he need a few years in the AHL?

22 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

How close do we think he is to being ready? Or are the suggestions for years down the line? or this year? Wouldn't he need a few years in the AHL?

Wishful thinking really.  I like him as a player for this team because he is big, tough, and can play a shutdown game.  He didn't get much time in the AHL, but I think he could surprise people.  Another guy that plays a big game (an has offense) s Falkowsky.  Had a good season in the ECHL.  Yeah, I know, the ECHL.

I'm just thinking of the type of D-man we could use here.

22 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

He played the last 2,5 seasons in the SHL against men, which is a pretty strong league in Europe. It kind of depends how fast he adapts to the North American game. I could see him beeing ready for the 18/19 season. But that doesn't mean he couldn't surprise in the upcomig preseason.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Wishful thinking really.  I like him as a player for this team because he is big, tough, and can play a shutdown game.  He didn't get much time in the AHL, but I think he could surprise people.  Another guy that plays a big game (an has offense) s Falkowsky.  Had a good season in the ECHL.  Yeah, I know, the ECHL.

I'm just thinking of the type of D-man we could use here.

Our LSD possibilities keep building. I give us a few years and we have a few special players arriving.

18 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Our LSD possibilities keep building. I give us a few years and we have a few special players arriving.

I think we have to build our own model of development.  The pipeline keeps getting plugged up with FA signings or marginal NHL players in the roster.  I suggest guys like AOM and Falkowsky because they were later picks and high reward types.  At some point you need to give them a trial and see if you have anything there at a higher level.  Gems appear every year, and we just don't know what these guys are at the NHL level, because we bury them in the minors.  Maybe we have a Schenn or a Paryanko in the making, but will never know if we don't give them a shot.

If your top 4D is made up of really good players, then you have the luxury of auditioning guys with a high reward possibility.  Don't want to be like EDM where you have only 2 of those guys.    

Just now, travel_dude said:

I think we have to build our own model of development.  The pipeline keeps getting plugged up with FA signings or marginal NHL players in the roster.  I suggest guys like AOM and Falkowsky because they were later picks and high reward types.  At some point you need to give them a trial and see if you have anything there at a higher level.  Gems appear every year, and we just don't know what these guys are at the NHL level, because we bury them in the minors.  Maybe we have a Schenn or a Paryanko in the making, but will never know if we don't give them a shot.

If your top 4D is made up of really good players, then you have the luxury of auditioning guys with a high reward possibility.  Don't want to be like EDM where you have only 2 of those guys.    

I don't disagree and this is why we have a player assessment crew. My best guess is both AOM and Falkowsky see more time in the AHL next season with a close eye on them.

I think Falkowsky for sure needs more time. Pleased with the progress, but going from the ECHL to the NHL is an extremely difficult and almost unheard of jump. Give him time in the A and see what happens.

AOM is an interesting case. I've always been a fan but you watch him skate and its cringe worthy, but yet he finds a way to get it done. I believe the Flames still need to sign him (correct me if i'm wrong) but if they do I would say he would be a guy worth watching in camp as I agree he brings a skillset that is lacking but he needs to have improved his skating since the last time I saw him. 

End of the day I think the Flames will likely bring in 2 Dman (Stone could be one) and leave 1 spot option for guys on the farm to battle for. I don't think Treliving has the same theory as Sutter who believed in clogging the NHL club with marginal NHL talent and waiting for farm hands to beat them out. 

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think Falkowsky for sure needs more time. Pleased with the progress, but going from the ECHL to the NHL is an extremely difficult and almost unheard of jump. Give him time in the A and see what happens.

AOM is an interesting case. I've always been a fan but you watch him skate and its cringe worthy, but yet he finds a way to get it done. I believe the Flames still need to sign him (correct me if i'm wrong) but if they do I would say he would be a guy worth watching in camp as I agree he brings a skillset that is lacking but he needs to have improved his skating since the last time I saw him. 

End of the day I think the Flames will likely bring in 2 Dman (Stone could be one) and leave 1 spot option for guys on the farm to battle for. I don't think Treliving has the same theory as Sutter who believed in clogging the NHL club with marginal NHL talent and waiting for farm hands to beat them out. 

Yeah, my best guess is probably the same.  I would like to see those guys in the NHL, but it doesn't mean they are ready.  In that light, I think signing guys like Stone and Franson (just examples) would still give us 1-2 spots to bring in prospects.  We kinda know what Bart brings and Engelland is serviceable (not the direction I want to go in), so I believe we should be looking for better NHL level guys.  Bart could be a benefit to the AHL club as well as a injury replacement.

I've never really been on the Kulak train, but I would like to graduate at least one of Andersson or someone else this year.  

Yeah, my best guess is probably the same.  I would like to see those guys in the NHL, but it doesn't mean they are ready.  In that light, I think signing guys like Stone and Franson (just examples) would still give us 1-2 spots to bring in prospects.  We kinda know what Bart brings and Engelland is serviceable (not the direction I want to go in), so I believe we should be looking for better NHL level guys.  Bart could be a benefit to the AHL club as well as a injury replacement.

I've never really been on the Kulak train, but I would like to graduate at least one of Andersson or someone else this year.  

Drawing a blank here but what was the Czech defenseman we had a few years ago played RSD but we didn't really have any room for him. Where is he now ?

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Drawing a blank here but what was the Czech defenseman we had a few years ago played RSD but we didn't really have any room for him. Where is he now ?

Good ole Nak.  Nakladal.  Played 3 with the Canes, then off to Russia (KHL).

Good ole Nak.  Nakladal.  Played 3 with the Canes, then off to Russia (KHL).

Always thought he was or would have been a solid 3rd pairing defenseman for us, not sure what his age would be now or if any interest.

25 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Always thought he was or would have been a solid 3rd pairing defenseman for us, not sure what his age would be now or if any interest.

Thanks to signing Grossmann, we couldn't get him.  Actually Grossmann salary was a direct fit for the cap, allowing us to use all of Smid's IR.  He's still young by defense standards, but I think that ship has sailed.  I thought he could become a good depth guy, but we never game him enough minutes to properly evaluate him.  

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think that is the right way to approach it, maybe they bring in a couple of guys on PTO's just as an insursance if nobody steps up from our young D in camp.

14 hours ago, manu11 said:

He played the last 2,5 seasons in the SHL against men, which is a pretty strong league in Europe. It kind of depends how fast he adapts to the North American game. I could see him beeing ready for the 18/19 season. But that doesn't mean he couldn't surprise in the upcomig preseason.

But how close are the two leagues in comparison? Is the AHL comparable? 

I dont know the European leagues very well. They probably helped Matthews a lot, playing against men. I see what you're saying.

i really would love to see some good prospects come out. Being an older Flames fan, I've seen how the scouting and development had been bad, so it would be refreshing to have players consistently stream through.  

My bet bet is a year or two away, and I haven't seen him either, so I don't know. 

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

But how close are the two leagues in comparison? Is the AHL comparable? 

I dont know the European leagues very well. They probably helped Matthews a lot, playing against men. I see what you're saying.

i really would love to see some good prospects come out. Being an older Flames fan, I've seen how the scouting and development had been bad, so it would be refreshing to have players consistently stream through.  

My bet bet is a year or two away, and I haven't seen him either, so I don't know. 

Really tough to compare the different leagues. I think the SHL is known for it's skilled players and good positioning in the D-zone. For example, the finnish top league Liiga is more of a mix of skill and physical play.

in 15/16 Matsson missed quite some time to injury, if I remember correctly he couldn't attend the Flames Summercamp in July 2015 as well. He played 52 games this season, which is really good, but we don't know what role he played. Did he play top4 or bottom pairing minutes? His experience in playing against men is certainly an advantage to other guys who come from juniors or college.

As I said, I believe he will play at least one full season in the AHL and acclimate to the NA game. He is a big stay at home guy, so we could certainly use a guy with his attributes in the future.

Every team is scouting, I think.  His linemate signed with CHI.  I would be okay with the signing to buy us some time, and if he was physical.  Maybe a young version of Smid (when he was physical).

He's an offensive dman. not very Smid like.