Flames Defense

CheersMan

42 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I agree robrob, everyone is way over-thinking and trying to make the perfect setup pass and shot, just shoot the damn puck. We have some muscle for down low and in front of the net and they should utilize this more.

Until they change the way they pass, we can't tell what is going on. I think they have to preach some simplified pp.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

That was a strange aberation as Montoya is usually 1 of the best backups in the league. Even now he's 3-1-1.

*********************************************************************************************

Did any one see Max Domi drop Kessler with 1 punch? :o:lol:

I didn't see the game but caught that @ the SN site.

Kessler is an ex-Canuck but I still don't like that (.).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Did any one see Max Domi drop Kessler with 1 punch? :o:lol:

I didn't see the game but caught that @ the SN site.

Kessler is an ex-Canuck but I still don't like that (.).

Domi gets the TKO on Kessler...   He might be an ex.nuck, but Kessler is still a mouthy a7a537c37fbdce4bd04446e1c970e73d.png that plays like a dirtbag...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Looks like it's the linesman's fault for semi-stopping the fight and semi-blocking Kesler's view.  Kesler didn't see it coming and wasn't sure if the fight had started yet.

It looked to me like Kesler saw that he was going to get hit and tucked his head in.  Domi connected with an uppercut.

I'm not sure this is part of the new defensive plan... But our D, especially Gio has been shooting the puck a lot from the blue line. Sometimes there's a better option to pass to, the shot gets blocked and leads to a turnover, or they get caught up in the offensive zone and that leads to odd-man rushes. Are we all suddenly Dustin Byfuglien, trying to play forward?

9 minutes ago, ay-flames said:

I'm not sure this is part of the new defensive plan... But our D, especially Gio has been shooting the puck a lot from the blue line. Sometimes there's a better option to pass to, the shot gets blocked and leads to a turnover, or they get caught up in the offensive zone and that leads to odd-man rushes. Are we all suddenly Dustin Byfuglien, trying to play forward?

We are trying to get more shots on net, pretty much from anywhere. The problem is our defense isn't very good at getting shots through.

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

We are trying to get more shots on net, pretty much from anywhere. The problem is our defense isn't very good at getting shots through.

This is what I see most are these shots being fired right into defenders legs, if the shot isn't there pass the puck, quit hoping for miracles.

I don't know what management is going to do but we need to stay with some consistent pairings until these guys start playing with some confidence in each other. They need to park Wideman whether he likes it or not.

27 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

This is what I see most are these shots being fired right into defenders legs, if the shot isn't there pass the puck, quit hoping for miracles.

I don't know what management is going to do but we need to stay with some consistent pairings until these guys start playing with some confidence in each other. They need to park Wideman whether he likes it or not.

As much as I dislike Wideman 5v5, he might be the answer to get our PP up to respectability. The PP is the one area he does excel at, he leads the team in PP goals, points and shots despite only playing in 9 of the 16 games. I think you have to play him, but shelter him 5v5 and put him on the 1st PP unit.

Still not sure what we have Kulak some games it looks like he is coming along, but last night he was just terrible and was on the ice for all the goals against and his misplays directly lead to 2 or 3 goals. It might be time for him to sit a game.

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

As much as I dislike Wideman 5v5, he might be the answer to get our PP up to respectability. The PP is the one area he does excel at, he leads the team in PP goals, points and shots despite only playing in 9 of the 16 games. I think you have to play him, but shelter him 5v5 and put him on the 1st PP unit.

Still not sure what we have Kulak some games it looks like he is coming along, but last night he was just terrible and was on the ice for all the goals against and his misplays directly lead to 2 or 3 goals. It might be time for him to sit a game.

The one problem by having Wideman play is he messes up the pairings so the best pairings are not together or playing at all. Engelland has been one of the better defensemen so far and his spot is the only spot I would even consider for Wideman. Also I think Hamilton is very good for getting the puck on net and should get more PP time. Giordano is the smartest and more experienced so I would keep him on a PP unit. We don't need Wideman and all his other lack of defense. part of GG's problems IMO are trying to accommodate to many of these types into some sort of benefit to the club.

I agree Kulak had a very rough night, here again point them out but don't bench him, encourage him for all that he has been doing well. Our best foot forward for pairings right now are these.

Giordano, Brodie

Jokipakka, Hamilton

Kulak, Engelland

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

The one problem by having Wideman play is he messes up the pairings so the best pairings are not together or playing at all. Engelland has been one of the better defensemen so far and his spot is the only spot I would even consider for Wideman. Also I think Hamilton is very good for getting the puck on net and should get more PP time. Giordano is the smartest and more experienced so I would keep him on a PP unit. We don't need Wideman and all his other lack of defense. part of GG's problems IMO are trying to accommodate to many of these types into some sort of benefit to the club.

I agree Kulak had a very rough night, here again point them out but don't bench him, encourage him for all that he has been doing well. Our best foot forward for pairings right now are these.

Giordano, Brodie

Jokipakka, Hamilton

Kulak, Engelland

Till Hamilton, Giordano and Brodie start contributing on the PP I think you have to get Wideman into the lineup, even if it mean that you are running a Wideman-Engelland 3rd pairing.

37 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Giordano, Brodie

Jokipakka, Hamilton

Kulak, Engelland

I am with you on the messed up lines.  Perhaps there is a way to use Wideman in the lineup.  7D.  We are double shifting some players and actually look good when we have been down a player for part of the night.  We actually are losing the games due to goals against, not lack of scoring.  We are letting way too many 5v5 goals in.  So, I would suggest that we sit a RHS winger/C and insert Wideman.

Gio-Brodie

Jokipakka/Kulak-Hamilton

Engelland/Kulak-Wideman

PP1

Brodie-Wideman

PP2

Gio-Hamilton

Playing time:

Gio - 22 min

Brodie - 22 mn

Wideman - 16 min

Hamilton - 18 min

Kulak - 16 min

Yokipakka - 14 min

Engelland - 14 min

Concentrate Wideman's and Hammy's time on PP, Gio and Brodie mixed, Kulak and Joki even strength, and Engelland on EV and PK.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Till Hamilton, Giordano and Brodie start contributing on the PP I think you have to get Wideman into the lineup, even if it mean that you are running a Wideman-Engelland 3rd pairing.

I don't agree with that approach and would rather see the others get better at shooting from the point or passing off. Like you I was hoping Wideman was gone by now.

Play Giordano Hamilton on the PP.  

I just think everyone is trying to do too much now and it might be time to preach a simplified approach. Or are we going to get to game 55 and realize we are out and then all the weight is off the shoulders and just play? Then there is another false sense of improved play and only 10 points out of a playoff spot. 

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

They did park him for a number of games and it did not help. He at least contributes on the PP.

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

They did park him for a number of games and it did not help. He at least contributes on the PP.

Does he really ? he wasn't even used there last night. Kulak had 2 very good games with Wideman out. He also played last night and it didn't help so what is your point ?

My point was he messes up the pairings in a bad way and GG has to instill some consistency IMO. All these different scenarios isn't helping GG's cause.

If we are going to play Wideman and sit one of Jokipakka or Kulak, why not at least try something constructive:

Gio-Hamilton

Brodie-Wideman

Kulak-Engelland

Haven't seen anything great out of Brodie-Engelland.  Kulak-Engelland was one of our better pairs.

Gio-Wideman was fine last few games, but not if you are forced to play Brodie-Engelland.

For some reason, Gio-Hamilton hasn't had much traction from the coaches.  I guess they are experts.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If we are going to play Wideman and sit one of Jokipakka or Kulak, why not at least try something constructive:

Gio-Hamilton

Brodie-Wideman

Kulak-Engelland

Haven't seen anything great out of Brodie-Engelland.  Kulak-Engelland was one of our better pairs.

Gio-Wideman was fine last few games, but not if you are forced to play Brodie-Engelland.

For some reason, Gio-Hamilton hasn't had much traction from the coaches.  I guess they are experts.

That probably does look a bit better. Gio seems to need Brodie though.

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

That probably does look a bit better. Gio seems to need Brodie though.

Maybe.  But Gio has to become a top pairing D-man again.  If Brodie was propping him up, then we have big problems.

But, as I said, this is only necessary to keep Wideman in the lineup.  I don't think sitting Jokipakka is the best solution to the struggles of the defense.  Maybe sitting Engelland for Wideman makes a bit more sense.  In other words, you keep everything else the same and only play Wideman when Engelland comes out.  You utilize the best options available.

Gio-Brodie

Yokipakka(Kulak)-Hamilton

Kulak(Yokipakka)-Engelland

or 

Gio-Brodie

Yokipakka(Kulak)-Hamilton

Kulak(Yokipakka)-Wideman

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe.  But Gio has to become a top pairing D-man again.  If Brodie was propping him up, then we have big problems.

But, as I said, this is only necessary to keep Wideman in the lineup.  I don't think sitting Jokipakka is the best solution to the struggles of the defense.  Maybe sitting Engelland for Wideman makes a bit more sense.  In other words, you keep everything else the same and only play Wideman when Engelland comes out.  You utilize the best options available.

Im really starting to wonder if the flames trade Gio, if kulak keeps trending in the right direction. I know hes our captain but his NTC doesnt kick in for a few years, and if Kulak continues to become a top 4 defender do we get rid of Gio or trade kulak, thats where im curious to see what BT does.

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Gio-Hamilton

Brodie-Wideman

Kulak-Engelland

Might as well he has tried everything else, I think.

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Im really starting to wonder if the flames trade Gio, if kulak keeps trending in the right direction. I know hes our captain but his NTC doesnt kick in for a few years, and if Kulak continues to become a top 4 defender do we get rid of Gio or trade kulak, thats where im curious to see what BT does.

There will come a time that serious consideration should be given to trading Giordano.