Flames Defense

CheersMan

Regarding Spoon; he is as ready for the NHL this year as last year, when he played well after the first few games, leading up to his injury.

Exactly my point. He was overwhelmed last year and looked out of place so imo nothing I've seen or read has suggested that playing him now would lead to better results. I'm not knocking him as a prospect I just don't think the is ready and I didn't think he was last year either.

Sounds like when Wideman was on the phone earlier it was about him taking on an A now that Glencross is gone. He would be a good choice I think.

I believe the phone thing was a big red herring joke being played on the media. Hartley was told about it too. Burke on the other end of the phone.

Wish we`d shored up defence a bit more at the deadline.

We definitely could have matched the trade for Petry (using Washington's second and our fifth, leaving us upgraded from a 5th round pick to a 3rd rounder), and we probably could have found a way to snag Yandle without giving up young assets.

Too bad.

I believe the phone thing was a big red herring joke being played on the media. Hartley was told about it too. Burke on the other end of the phone.

I caught that on the main page.

Wideman punked the media while easing the atmosphere on a stressful day.

Way to go Wideman!

With Gio out, this is how I would pair the D for the rest of the season (forgive me if the sides are wrong).....

Brodie - Russel

Wideman - Shlemko

Diaz - Engelland

As for filling the leadership spots, nobody wears a C for the rest of the year (my opinion).  Russel keeps the A, and is the "lead A".  Give GlenX's A to Hudler, and slap an A on Mony (just to get him used to it).

With Gio out, this is how I would pair the D for the rest of the season (forgive me if the sides are wrong).....

Brodie - Russel

Wideman - Shlemko

Diaz - Engelland

As for filling the leadership spots, nobody wears a C for the rest of the year (my opinion).  Russel keeps the A, and is the "lead A".  Give GlenX's A to Hudler, and slap an A on Mony (just to get him used to it).

Agreed on all counts. Hopefully the coaching staff feels the same.

Here is what I hope the defense rotation will look like for the upcoming games:

Brodie - Wideman (a defensive and offensive line can help both ways)

Russell - Schlemko (may have some chemistry from WHL experiences)

Diaz - Engelland (Diaz has stepped up his game, and Engelland may need to be rotated with others)

Here is what I hope the defense rotation will look like for the upcoming games:

Brodie - Wideman (a defensive and offensive line can help both ways)

Russell - Schlemko (may have some chemistry from WHL experiences)

Diaz - Engelland (Diaz has stepped up his game, and Engelland may need to be rotated with others)

I like it except Brodie and Wideman are both right defensemen. I would go with:

Russell/Brodie

Schlemko/Wideman

Diaz/Engelland

a84f785305015520617949be1db7b3fc.png

4c6807feb7db69e1eb9abdf0201c0eed.png

I believe the Suter/Weber combo (NAS) was one of the best defensive partners in recent history.  I was patiently waiting for Brodano to acquire 95 pts combined (another 12pts) before showing this comparison again.  Brodano were on pace to surpass the other two in fewer games when looking at the pts and +/- stat.  They actually still might but Brodie is on his own now.  Lets wait and see.  

I would do my best not to have the weaker Dmen put out of their normal positions. Brodie is a smart player and has played the LS before so I would go like this.

Brodie, Engelland

Russell, Wideman (keep them together)

Diaz and Potter ( I might even put Diaz on the RS )

I think not only should we keep Russell - Wideman together, that should become the defacto "top pair".  After that, I think Brodie - Engellend could work.  When it all comes down to it, I trust Engellend more than i do Diaz, Potter, and Schlemko.  I would go Schlemko - Diaz as the bottom pair.

All in all, our D looks sad without Giordano.  Arguably bottom 5 in the NHL.

I think not only should we keep Russell - Wideman together, that should become the defacto "top pair".  After that, I think Brodie - Engellend could work.  When it all comes down to it, I trust Engellend more than i do Diaz, Potter, and Schlemko.  I would go Schlemko - Diaz as the bottom pair.

Yep.

But same as all year, some really good defence from our 'tending.

A lot is on them to keep us in rarified air.

It's possible, but we should be worried about offence more than d. 1 goal in 3 games is not cool, no matter how you slice it.

People might not agree, but I think it would be better to match up Spoon with Brodie. Reduce the minutes for the pair, but double shift Brodie with Diaz.

Spoon/Brodie

Russell/Wideman

Diaz/Engelland (Schlemko)

1st PP - Diaz/Brodie

2nd PP - Russell/Wideman

PK1 - Sppon/Brodie

PK2 - Russell/Diaz

Or something like that.

After watching the first couple periods with the Flyers...Where the hell was this Engellend all year?

Brodie is really good. We forget sometimes, but Giordano wasn't a Norris candidate until paired with Brodie.

That said, the real Engelland stood up on the first goal in the third.

The Dmen looked good tonight in a win.  Engelland was finally given the opportunity (over 12 min) to step up and earn his paycheck, which turned out to be a great performance.  Now that Baertschi is gone maybe some of you can refocus your attention to other members on this team who have been contributing to the team success.

c33a50ec25258c4d73bdd93f582e6a29.png04c8804845c3f1394e22af0ab44d9f66.png

That first goal was an issue of blown coverage, but there were at least 3 Flames out of possition on that. Engellend may hold part of th eblame, but he's not the direct cause of it.

Honesty, he played quite well.

Brodie definitely does help him lok better, but for the most part, he made smart, simple, and most importantly CORRECT plays. No dumb passes. Strong on the Blue line. Finished his checks well without getting (too much) out of position.

Is he top pairing material suddenly? Not remotely. But if he played like he did tonight on the third pairing? Wow. That's the D upgrade we needed right there. If they keep him with Brodie and he gets in the habbit of playing like this next year, that's a great (free) upgrade for the Flames.

Our entire D was suspect in the third. When a Philly player is all by himself in front of the net three times in one period you have a problem. Not just Engelland. Russell blew his coverage on the second goal for example. Plus our bottom pairing barely played.

I agree the first two periods were good. But as a whole I wasn't impressed with the D this game.

Our entire D was suspect in the third. When a Philly player is all by himself in front of the net three times in one period you have a problem. Not just Engelland. Russell blew his coverage on the second goal for example. Plus our bottom pairing barely played.

I agree the first two periods were good. But as a whole I wasn't impressed with the D this game.

The team had a great first period but with 12 shots combined in the final 2 periods proves our offensive game dried up.  Our top 4 dmen (above) and Ramo kept us in this one.