Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

Just now, MAC331 said:

Such as what changes ? tell us

I was thinking Backlund for the most part. He seems to make other players better and that is rather valuable. I don't see any massive trade involving guys from our first two lines or the defence. Perhaps an AHL player will come through at D to replace Kulak. We have some solid players pushing from the AHL, so I would assume that BT only adds at the margins next year. 

Wouldn't you keep Backlund at this point? We lose Stajan and the cap increases.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I was thinking Backlund for the most part. He seems to make other players better and that is rather valuable. I don't see any massive trade involving guys from our first two lines or the defence. Perhaps an AHL player will come through at D to replace Kulak. We have some solid players pushing from the AHL, so I would assume that BT only adds at the margins next year. 

Wouldn't you keep Backlund at this point? We lose Stajan and the cap increases.

Yes I would keep Backlund but the choice is with him becoming a UFA. We need a good balance of maturity and experience which Backlund provides for us.

I like our Defense and the depth. Kulak is doing fine so far, a few mistakes here and there but for the most part he is handling the job.

9 hours ago, MAC331 said:

It really evolves around 3 players and where they end up, Backlund, Ferland and Tkachuk. If Backlund bolts to FA and leaves we could see the possibility of Bennett back at C. Personally I would leave Bennett with Jankowski on LW. The player that benefits us the most on a switch to RW would be Tkachuk with Gaudreau and Monahan. In order to build a new 3rd line go with Ferland, Lazar and Frolik Should Backlund be re-signed do the same moves and use Lazar as your 4th line C.

I would say Backlund, Bennett, and Jankowski.

Tkachuk:  We know where Tkachuk will end up, on LW, and likely on the 2nd line for the forseeable future with Gaudreau in command of the first line.   The only reason he wouldn't is if Bennett changes that.  Bennett is the pivot between center and LW, and also the wildcard in terms of expectations, imho.   While with Tkachuk, we have a better sense of what we will get out of him.

Ferland....I don't mean this to bash him but he is an example of why we need depth at RW.  Nothing revolves around him really, he is just our only fit right now for that situation.   He is simply not a first line RW, except in this current situation we are in.   He will remain there until we figure something else out.  Obviously his size helps with Gaudreau there, but otherwise he is on the 3rd line.  May be the 2nd line in a pinch.

• Backlund:  I agree, much revolves around him and where he ends up this/next year.

• Bennett:   His play has recently improved and that is already changing everything.  Now the question is whether you stick with what's working, or move him to center.   Obviously, he also needs more minutes if he keeps his play better.  So that also raises the question as to whether his whole line gets more minutes, or if things get re-arranged.   More importantly......there is no ideal answer to any of these questions...given our current roster.  

• Jankowski:   What is Jankowski?   I still don't have an answer to this, but he keeps proving me wrong.  I thought he'd be a great minor leaguer, to be honest.   And I still think he's more of a 3rd line center.   But he has proven me wrong in the past and forced a situation.  His play this season could change everything, or nothing.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Tkachuk:  We know where Tkachuk will end up, on LW, and likely on the 2nd line for the forseeable future with Gaudreau in command of the first line.   The only reason he wouldn't is if Bennett changes that.  Bennett is the pivot between center and LW, and also the wildcard in terms of expectations, imho.   While with Tkachuk, we have a better sense of what we will get out of him.

Ferland....I don't mean this to bash him but he is an example of why we need depth at RW.  Nothing revolves around him really, he is just our only fit right now for that situation.   He is simply not a first line RW, except in this current situation we are in.   He will remain there until we figure something else out.  Obviously his size helps with Gaudreau there, but otherwise he is on the 3rd line.  May be the 2nd line in a pinch.

• Backlund:  I agree, much revolves around him and where he ends up this/next year.

• Bennett:   His play has recently improved and that is already changing everything.  Now the question is whether you stick with what's working, or move him to center.   Obviously, he also needs more minutes if he keeps his play better.  So that also raises the question as to whether his whole line gets more minutes, or if things get re-arranged.   More importantly......there is no ideal answer to any of these questions...given our current roster.  

• Jankowski:   What is Jankowski?   I still don't have an answer to this, but he keeps proving me wrong.  I thought he'd be a great minor leaguer, to be honest.   And I still think he's more of a 3rd line center.   But he has proven me wrong in the past and forced a situation.  His play this season could change everything, or nothing.

I don;t think we really know what Ferland is.  More pure goal scorer than Draisaitl in junior.  Started hockey way later.  Didn't have the benefit of playing with McDavid over three seasons.  I personally don't think RW is the best fit for him, but that the level he is playing at.  Eleven goals in 29 games.  He either plays RW or has to beat out the top 4 LW's which is pretty much impossible.  He's got a wicked shot, but passes off too much, and has a habit of those passes being not great.  

Janko is what I expected, but he's fitting in quicker than I thought.  Already one of the better centers on the team.  He does some things that are rookie mistakes, but it is what it is.  If they had a skilled RW to play with, that line might become deadly this year.  Nothing against Hathaway, since he plays a good game.  He's the type of 4th line RW I would love to have.  I may underrate him a bit, but I just think he's still just an OK RW.  Maybe if we picked up Stone, we could move Ferland to 3rd line RW.  That would be an interesting line. 

As far as Bennett at C, I just don;t see it.  His tendency is to try to bowl over players there, and it's where he takes the most penalties.  You notice how few minutes he has taken since making the shift?    

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Couple of comments. I think Tkachuk has the versatility to play either LW or RW and is the perfect choice to play with JG and SM with 15 more lbs added to him. Ferland I agree with you on. Bennett has found a home on LW along with Jankowski. If you cannot see the star power in Jankowski I don't what else to say. He is the real deal.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Couple of comments. I think Tkachuk has the versatility to play either LW or RW and is the perfect choice to play with JG and SM with 15 more lbs added to him. Ferland I agree with you on. Bennett has found a home on LW along with Jankowski. If you cannot see the star power in Jankowski I don't what else to say. He is the real deal.

Don't agree entirely on Bennet but I do agree with Tkachuk...that is an interesting idea...hmmm

I will also take Cross's comments on Ferland into consideration and certainly don't mean to bash a clear success story.  On the other hand he's 25 already, has the best linemates he will ever have....at very least it is fair to say the flames could make room for an elite RW power forward.  Will leave it at that.

Back to Bennet....I honestly think had he been given one more year to develop he would be a great NHL center right now

26 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Don't agree entirely on Bennet but I do agree with Tkachuk...that is an interesting idea...hmmm

I will also take Cross's comments on Ferland into consideration and certainly don't mean to bash a clear success story.  On the other hand he's 25 already, has the best linemates he will ever have....at very least it is fair to say the flames could make room for an elite RW power forward.  Will leave it at that.

Back to Bennet....I honestly think had he been given one more year to develop he would be a great NHL center right now

I was hoping with Bennett for C but kept thinking Gary Roberts watching him play which says LW all the way for me.

Ferland I have always said playing with Backlund and Frolik because we need that physical checking element with those two and they can all put the puck in the net. I think Ferland needs that physical edge to his game and for some reason playing with JG and SM he gets away from it.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

One thing about Ferland is that he only played house league until age 15.  Unlike most hockey players, he hasn't had the lifetime of playing competitive sports.  He's 25, but not in the same career arc as most NHL players.  

12 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Your admissions on Jankowski should be liberally applied to your other thoughts too.  

I'm not sure why you are expecting for a "first line RW" but this season Ferland is definitely proving to be just that.  His only "failing" to date is that he's an easy target for dropping off the line when GG decides to elevate Brouwer or some other craziness, because....?  Bennett is playing better, and although you, and others seem to think that happened out of the blue and since he's now scoring that he's a candidate to go back to centre, it seems clear his success is because....Jankowski.  Bennett has done absolutely nothing of substance outside of his time with Jankowski, and that duo is growing into a formidable force, a la Gaudreau-Monahan.  Any thought of breaking them up seems foolhardy at this point and unless Backlund departs or we run into injury trouble I don't expect to see it again.

If we re-sign Backlund then we end up with three pretty formidable lines and that's what is really needed.  If Backlund goes elsewhere then Jankowski gets elevated (is he already?) and we search for the fit at 3C.  Currently I'm thinking Dube has the best shot at that spot, or 4C if Backlund stays, but if all else fails Bennett certainly could be a consideration.   

2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Bennett is playing better, and although you, and others seem to think that happened out of the blue and since he's now scoring that he's a candidate to go back to centre, it seems clear his success is because....Jankowski.  Bennett has done absolutely nothing of substance outside of his time with Jankowski

I only disagree with this because Bennett was doing everything but scoring prior to Janko playing on his line.  Bennett is one of those cases where the move to the wing actually helped him concentrate on using the ice to his advantage.  The power move that he made on the GWG was no different than what he has done in the past, but he was able to do it because the shift had been spent in the O-zone, not just a one-and-done play.

Janko is a great complement for him, because he wins draws.  Janko uses his big body to get through the clutter in the middle of the ice.  He uses his stick to get the puck back.  Bennett is no longer being the only player to enter the zone.  

We still haven't seen the best of the line.  They are starting to be more dominant every game.  

10 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Your admissions on Jankowski should be liberally applied to your other thoughts too.  

For someone such as yourself who has never been wrong, my comment must have seemed very outlandish :)

People actually are wrong about certain things and some people actually have the integrity to own up to it.  I haven't seen you do that on here, instead I see you make responses such as this which suggest you think it is a weakness.  For your info, that is one of the many ways you in fact are wrong.

I'm not sure why you are expecting for a "first line RW" but this season Ferland is definitely proving to be just that.  His only "failing" to date is that he's an easy target for dropping off the line when GG decides to elevate Brouwer or some other craziness, because....?

Just so we're clear, 95% of the people on here would like an elite first line RW, irrespective of Ferland.  If you don't get that, make your own thread and don't single me out.   My comments were clearly steering us back to the discussion of Bennett which is the topic of this thread.   Not Ferland, and not me.    

Bennett is playing better, and although you, and others seem to think that happened out of the blue and since he's now scoring that he's a candidate to go back to centre, it seems clear his success is because....Jankowski.  Bennett has done absolutely nothing of substance outside of his time with Jankowski

Correction, he did nothing of substance in the first few games this season.    He had 18 goals in his NHL rookie year, and 62 NHL points before this season ever started, so to say that he's riding on the heals of Jankowski is pure nonsense.      Jankowski is simply the first skilled player under 40 he's been paired with in the last year imho.   I have my thoughts on how to interpret that and you have yours, but if you think you have some special insight because you noticed Bennett performing better with Jankowski, be sure that you came up with that in your own head (which is never wrong), and not from anything written here.  Yeah, we all noticed that.  Glad you did too.

20 hours ago, jjgallow said:

For someone such as yourself who has never been wrong, my comment must have seemed very outlandish :)

People actually are wrong about certain things and some people actually have the integrity to own up to it.  I haven't seen you do that on here, instead I see you make responses such as this which suggest you think it is a weakness.  For your info, that is one of the many ways you in fact are wrong.

Just so we're clear, 95% of the people on here would like an elite first line RW, irrespective of Ferland.  If you don't get that, make your own thread and don't single me out.   My comments were clearly steering us back to the discussion of Bennett which is the topic of this thread.   Not Ferland, and not me.    

Correction, he did nothing of substance in the first few games this season.    He had 18 goals in his NHL rookie year, and 62 NHL points before this season ever started, so to say that he's riding on the heals of Jankowski is pure nonsense.      Jankowski is simply the first skilled player under 40 he's been paired with in the last year imho.   I have my thoughts on how to interpret that and you have yours, but if you think you have some special insight because you noticed Bennett performing better with Jankowski, be sure that you came up with that in your own head (which is never wrong), and not from anything written here.  Yeah, we all noticed that.  Glad you did too.

jj, what started out as a great retort too quickly came off the rails.  From your multiple comments its clear you weren't looking just wanted to be nasty, because the evidence of just the opposite of your claims are clear and easy to find.  Whatever, hope your day is going better.... 

I'll find a RW/Ferland thread to continue the Ferland comments....

As for Bennett, yes I was speaking primarily of this season, that is correct.  I'm glad Jankowski is finally up and the two are building good chemistry together, with Bennett on the wing.  So, if we both agree on that, question:  Does that mean that now that Bennett has gotten/is getting his confidence back that its an automatic that he will do well at Centre?  Honest question there which you avoided the first time around.

1 hour ago, cccsberg said:

jj, what started out as a great retort too quickly came off the rails.  From your multiple comments its clear you weren't looking just wanted to be nasty, because the evidence of just the opposite of your claims are clear and easy to find.  Whatever, hope your day is going better.... 

I'll find a RW/Ferland thread to continue the Ferland comments....

As for Bennett, yes I was speaking primarily of this season, that is correct.  I'm glad Jankowski is finally up and the two are building good chemistry together, with Bennett on the wing.  So, if we both agree on that, question:  Does that mean that now that Bennett has gotten/is getting his confidence back that its an automatic that he will do well at Centre?  Honest question there which you avoided the first time around.

The games I have watched, I see them trading off center duties. Sometimes Jankowski is on LW IN OUR own zone, with Bennett playing the area C does. They seem to trade off. They can as they’re both responsible. I think that has more to do with who is back first. Or it could be brain fart from Bennett, but I think it’s just how it goes. They’re not running around like chickens without heads, so, I don’t see it as a problem. 

Like me in beer league, guys would get mad at me for not being on my point but I had just finished back checking on a 3-1 coming our way and then they get it to my point and the C isn’t covering... I am not going to peel back and wait at my point on a back check.

seems they’ve got it covered and they’re a good pair. I think as Bennett matures we can put him at C for relief, keep him on the wing. It’s good depth.

With Bennett I was trully confident we had drafted our future 1c (I thought he'd push Monahan down to the 2nd line). After a few years I'm not confident that will ever happen.

The question for me now is if we lose Backlund to UFA do we try Bennett as 2C from training camp on or has Jankowski passed him on the depth chart. What he did in junior is still lurking under the surface if the Flames can find a way to tap it,

********************************************************************************************************************

As an aside I want to mention I just heard that Zarley Zalapski passed away Sunday @ 49. RIP ZZ

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

nnWith Bennett I was trully confident we had drafted our future 1c (I thought he'd push Monahan down to the 2nd line). After a few years I'm not confident that will ever happen.

The question for me now is if we lose Backlund to UFA do we try Bennett as 2C from training camp on or has Jankowski passed him on the depth chart. What he did in junior is still lurking under the surface if the Flames can find a way to tap it,

********************************************************************************************************************

As an aside I want to mention I just heard that Zarley Zalapski passed away Sunday @ 49. RIP ZZ

Yes ZZ died of virus and heart complications at 49 years old, sad day.

In regards to Backlund and Bennett surrounding his use at C possibly I think when you have quality players with talents moving them around shouldn't be out of the question.

Personally I think we have something here with Jankowski and Bennett on the same line and should build on it once Jagr is gone.

50 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Yes ZZ died of virus ad heart complications at 49 years old, sad day.

In regards to Backlund and Bennett surrounding his use at C possibly I think when you have quality players with talents moving them around shouldn't be out of the question.

Personally I think we have something here with Jankowski and Bennett on the same line and should build on it once Jagr is gone.

Bennett with Jankowski has been a revelation and we should try to advance that pair to the next level.  Since Bennett’s success in Junior at Centre you always think he could do the same in the NHL but that has not proven to be the case.  If we lose Backlund we may be forced to try it again, but unless it happens I’d be focusing on what is already working, ie Bennett at LW.  

22 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Bennett with Jankowski has been a revelation and we should try to advance that pair to the next level.  Since Bennett’s success in Junior at Centre you always think he could do the same in the NHL but that has not proven to be the case.  If we lose Backlund we may be forced to try it again, but unless it happens I’d be focusing on what is already working, ie Bennett at LW.  

Players with flexibility and experience provides the team options even if short term. Should we lose Backlund I think someone like Lazar would be a good 3rd line C. Dube is also coming in whether he makes next season's team or not. We have a few others in the pipe that would be sufficient as 4th line C's.

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

With Bennett I was trully confident we had drafted our future 1c (I thought he'd push Monahan down to the 2nd line). After a few years I'm not confident that will ever happen.

As a comp player, Janko is the closest to Backlund.  Not as good as Monahan, but better than Bennett.  Janko has years of experience as a 2-way player, though most of that was in the NCAA.  He has pretty decent faceoff numbers for a rookie.  Unless Bennett takes a big step forward, I don't know why you would put him back in a spot he struggled with.  

6 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I would like to see Poirer RW on that line for 9 games.

I lost a lot of faith in him last year. I figured that he was likely finished. He seems to be off to a better start this year. I sure hope that his rehab is going well, and he proves to be a solid NHL player at some point. 

28 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I lost a lot of faith in him last year. I figured that he was likely finished. He seems to be off to a better start this year. I sure hope that his rehab is going well, and he proves to be a solid NHL player at some point. 

From my reading and the SF reports I’d say Poirier is definitely better than last year but hasn’t recaptured what he had his first season.  I’m hoping he continues his game recovery and eventually gets another chance with the Flames.

Just now, cccsberg said:

From my reading and the SF reports I’d say Poirier is definitely better than last year but hasn’t recaptured what he had his first season.  I’m hoping he continues his game recovery and eventually gets another chance with the Flames.

I am glad to see more NHL teams making better efforts to support players with rehab. I remember when the Hawks were one of the only teams to do so. When they ditched Fleury, I thought he might be a gonner at that point. 

Archived