Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

Just now, stubblejumper1 said:

No offence, but what he did in junior is no longer relevant to what he can do in the NHL.  Maybe his shoulder injury ruined his true potential.

He was good good as a rookie, but even many Calder trophy winners don’t turn into first or second line players.  

I really want to be wrong, but I think Bennett tops out as a third liner.  

Production wise no, but it's relevant as it shows the talent level. It's not just his rookie year either it's flashes he shows you frequently.

Point is the flames are doing a poor job helping to show that talent. The talent is there and the Flames are not maximizing it. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Production wise no, but it's relevant as it shows the talent level. It's not just his rookie year either it's flashes he shows you frequently.

Point is the flames are doing a poor job helping to show that talent. The talent is there and the Flames are not maximizing it. 

I agree he has talent.  I am starting to think he is one of those guys who got by on natural talent and has a below average “hockey IQ.”  I don’t know if he can put it together at this level.  

40 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Did you see him in junior? Did you see his rookie year? Didn't you see him go through the Predators a few weeks ago?

talent like that doesn't leave or go away. 

Doesnt always translate ... how about this guy ?

Talent Analysis
Will work his way onto a pro roster. A battler, power forward in the mold of a Milan Lucic. Very good offensive skills. Leadership skills in spades.

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2010-11     6 0 1 1 0 2 4 1 0 1 0
2011-12     63 20 11 31 56 15 20 8 11 19 4
2012-13     72 38 23 61 47 25 22 9 2 11 20
2013-14     58 41 35 76 30

Not hugely different than Bennett

2012-13 Kingston Frontenacs OHL 60 18 22 40 87 -2 4 0 3 3 2
2013-14 Kingston Frontenacs OHL 57 36 55 91 118 34 7 5 4 9 18
2014-15 Kingston Frontenacs OHL 11 11 13 24

Sounds like a player we should go get right ?  say hello to Curtis Lazar

Not saying Bennett is going to Bust out .. he will find his way .. but its just very possible he may not translate to the expectations people have of him 

13 hours ago, cross16 said:

I agree with you cross, Bennett is becoming a casualty of GG's indecision and comfort zone. He said it himself that he is comfortable with what he gets from the 3M line. I say whoopee about the 3M, like ABC said what have they really done this season. I think those two were good to teach Tkachuk the NHL ropes and now they are stifling him. Once again Bennett gets the scraps for his line. I think GG needs to give his head a shake and realize he is the problem not the player. This could be fixed real fast by moving Jagr to play with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Jagr

Ferland, Backlund, Frolik

Tkachuk, Bennett, Versteeg (if Versteeg stinks use Lazar,if Lazar stinks use Poirier, if Poirier stinks try Foo)

Klimchuk, Jankowski, Brouwer

Let's get 3 good scoring lines and if these players don't work BT has some work to do.

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Talent Analysis
Will work his way onto a pro roster. A battler, power forward in the mold of a Milan Lucic. Very good offensive skills. Leadership skills in spades.

Regular Season Playoffs

Not saying Bennett is going to Bust out .. he will find his way .. but its just very possible he may not translate to the expectations people have of him 

In the same vein one could say Lazar got the same treatment in OTT as Bennett has received here. Now GG is doing the same thing to both of these players.

Just now, MAC331 said:

In the same vein one could say Lazar got the same treatment in OTT as Bennett has received here. Now GG is doing the same thing to both of these players.

but at the end of the day , what is the coach supposed to do? His job is to win games.

Both players have been put in situations to succeed.. at one point does the player have to step up and take it ?

Both have been Handed Ice time..PP Time .. different linemates ...... In Bennett's defense hes getting chances, but hes not burying them .. sooner or later the odds are they are going to start going in .

We left Bennett an entire year  at center so he could adjust .. his year was a bust essentially .. we put him back to wing , as a way of helping him regain form and people think we are punishing him.. we are making way too much out of an in game demotion .. it happens ..Im sure he'll be lining up alongside Janko and Jagr tomorrow night ..

again , if we are guilty of any disservice to Bennett, its in not putting him in the minors his first full season 

11 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

but at the end of the day , what is the coach supposed to do? His job is to win games.

Both players have been put in situations to succeed.. at one point does the player have to step up and take it ?

Both have been Handed Ice time..PP Time .. different linemates ...... In Bennett's defense hes getting chances, but hes not burying them .. sooner or later the odds are they are going to start going in .

We left Bennett an entire year  at center so he could adjust .. his year was a bust essentially .. we put him back to wing , as a way of helping him regain form and people think we are punishing him.. we are making way too much out of an in game demotion .. it happens ..Im sure he'll be lining up alongside Janko and Jagr tomorrow night ..

again , if we are guilty of any disservice to Bennett, its in not putting him in the minors his first full season 

I do not want to trade Bennett. Really he is power forward defensively sound, gritty, has skill, speed, size, and an NHL shot with offensive talent. That's a lot of boxes being checked. Benny has made some good plays that have not placed him on the score sheet. He had his best season under Hartley on the wing, but round peg square hole. For me it is 100% on the coach. The man crush with Lack, Brower, Stajan. Who ever stated the fact empty net situation and coach puts out the 4th Blockchaining line instead of Janko. In order to create confidence in individuals you have to trust them in key situations, GG fails horrifically.  We are not winning because of coaching we are winning because of goal tending lets get that straight.

I would prefer to keep Bennett and let GG go, but that never happens. For anyone to state that this club with this roster is well coached is completely absurd. The two reason`s we are winning is Gaudreau and Smith are having great season`s, period.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

I do not want to trade Bennett. Really he is power forward defensively sound, gritty, has skill, speed, size, and an NHL shot with offensive talent. That's a lot of boxes being checked. Benny has made some good plays that have not placed him on the score sheet. He had his best season under Hartley on the wing, but round peg square hole. For me it is 100% on the coach. The man crush with Lack, Brower, Stajan. Who ever stated the fact empty net situation and coach puts out the 4th Blockchaining line instead of Janko. In order to create confidence in individuals you have to trust them in key situations, GG fails horrifically.  We are not winning because of coaching we are winning because of goal tending lets get that straight.

I would prefer to keep Bennett and let GG go, but that never happens. For anyone to state that this club with this roster is well coached is completely absurd. The two reason`s we are winning is Gaudreau and Smith are having great season`s, period.

The last game Gully showed trust in playing Janko in OT.  I though it was a good move until I notice it was Versteeg out there with him.  I would have played anyone over Versteeg in that situation.  He's neither fast nor good without the puck.  Review the play just before the goal for evidence.  

Since this is about Bennett, what did you do so bad to get dumped on the 4th line?  Was it to get his confidence back?  Did he do something bad?    

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The last game Gully showed trust in playing Janko in OT.  I though it was a good move until I notice it was Versteeg out there with him.  I would have played anyone over Versteeg in that situation.  He's neither fast nor good without the puck.  Review the play just before the goal for evidence.  

Since this is about Bennett, what did you do so bad to get dumped on the 4th line?  Was it to get his confidence back?  Did he do something bad?    

somebody(derek wills) reported it could have been ,  he was continuously putting himself offside .. a lot

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

happy that some people made way too big a deal about him being dropped to the 4th line  in-game

From what I remember, Bennett was dropped to the 4th line as Center and then Gaudreau got double shifted to play on the 4th line as Gaudreau - Bennett - Brouwer.  Almost like it was planned.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

From what I remember, Bennett was dropped to the 4th line as Center and then Gaudreau got double shifted to play on the 4th line as Gaudreau - Bennett - Brouwer.  Almost like it was planned.

Not unheard of in a tight 0-0 game to try and break up some coverages and bust someone loose.

On 2017-11-23 at 7:20 PM, phoenix66 said:

Talent Analysis

Regular Season Playoffs

Watched both in junior and I can tell you Bennetts talent level is far superior to Lazars. That's not a good comparison. 

Im not surprised at all Lazars didn't need translate. I'm very surprised at Bennett. And again yes I understand it doesn't always translate but it already did for Bennett. There's just been no building off it

Bennett does a lot well. Some responsibity goes on the plsyer but this season we have seen more regression from muliple guys not just Benny. If one guy struggles its on them but when its mulitples its coaching. Gully has neverwon anything as a coach. Flames went with cheap not best suited imho

12 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Bennett does a lot well. Some responsibity goes on the plsyer but this season we have seen more regression from muliple guys not just Benny. If one guy struggles its on them but when its mulitples its coaching. Gully has neverwon anything as a coach. Flames went with cheap not best suited imho

Not really. I would say our D has been bad excluding Giordano. Backlund's line has been average and our 3rd line is just in the making. The 4th line has been insignificant so far.

GG is IMO part of the problem but by no means the reason this team loses the games they do.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Not really. I would say our D has been bad excluding Giordano. Backlund's line has been average and our 3rd line is just in the making. The 4th line has been insignificant so far.

GG is IMO part of the problem but by no means the reason this team loses the games they do.

So the rebuild isn’t over then? 

We've probably overestimated our personnel. 

Are we a playoff team? Probably, but not contenders like we thought...

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

So the rebuild isn’t over then? 

We've probably overestimated our personnel. 

Are we a playoff team? Probably, but not contenders like we thought...

I don't know about the rebuild but I expected another year of maturity and coming together as a team before we seriously contend. When you take our veteran experience on this team it really isn't all that great. Smith has been great but our defense hasn't gelled at all. On the forward lines we are more making do than getting maximum success, other than the Gaudreau, Monahan and Ferland line (which isn't ideal) but working. We are far from a well oiled machine.

On 11/23/2017 at 7:42 PM, phoenix66 said:

We ran BH out of town because his job was to win games and that is what he was trying to do. There should be no free get out of jail cards for GG either.... he hasn't excactly set the NHL afire with his possession game and supposed D play expertice.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I don't know about the rebuild but I expected another year of maturity and coming together as a team before we seriously contend. When you take our veteran experience on this team it really isn't all that great. Smith has been great but our defense hasn't gelled at all. On the forward lines we are more making do than getting maximum success, other than the Gaudreau, Monahan and Ferland line (which isn't ideal) but working. We are far from a well oiled machine.

That tells me we aren’t deep enough.

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

We ran BH out of town because his job was to win games and that is what he was trying to do. There should be no free get out of jail cards for GG either.... he hasn't excactly set the NHL afire with his possession game and supposed D play expertice.

There's tons  of reasons and i think pages upon pages of debate as to whether we should have kept BH,so I wont get into that one other than to say  every coach has his own quirks. Players who used to play well dont under the new one and vice versa -- favourite players .;. doghouse players .  BH had Sven run out of town (where ironically GG is credited with his development)  and GG has struggles with Bennett.  Personally I believe we are ahead of where BH had us , but that's me .

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

There's tons  of reasons and i think pages upon pages of debate as to whether we should have kept BH,so I wont get into that one other than to say  every coach has his own quirks. Players who used to play well dont under the new one and vice versa -- favourite players .;. doghouse players .  BH had Sven run out of town (where ironically GG is credited with his development)  and GG has struggles with Bennett.  Personally I believe we are ahead of where BH had us , but that's me .

GG was here and had little effect on Sven. GG was in charge of D when he was with Canucks is my understanding...

Archived