Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Sam Bennett's game reminds me of Daymond Langkow.

I really liked Langkow. Who ripped it when Iggy was injured?

If Bennett is Langkow in his prime tomorrow you've got yourself a deal.

You aren't The Devil are you?:(

Peeps, you were marveling how he'll overcome Monahan as the 1C.

He won't reach that, blame Monahan. Put Bennett with Mony, teams don't shy away from putting the best players together.

We shouldn't either.

Be a team, that is all Pittsburgh does.

Just be a team.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I don't feel good in the +/- of anyone you've mentioned, it's a stretch for me, even with Radulov.

Nothing I hate more than 50 point guys at -8.

"Hitch is back, Nill with all of these amazing deals"...yada yada yada...

I am not in the buying category with Dallas, maybe I'm wrong, oh well.

I know I thought, at the time, "Nice grab Peeps" with Bennett. If that's any solace?

What's funny is Bennett will have a break out year and we'll all have left him on FA too long, lol.

I just don't see the breakout (obviously hope for it but just don't see it).  We need the Flames to have no options but to play him on the top 6 full time but the Flames have options.  Last season, Monahan was kinda injured to start the season.  Backlund came off a one year wonder.  The sea parted for him so I thought "maybe".  But unfortunately he wasn't ready for that role.

This season, that chance isn't even there.  Monahan healthy and Backlund is established.

18 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I really liked Langkow. Who ripped it when Iggy was injured?

If Bennett is Langkow in his prime tomorrow you've got yourself a deal.

You aren't The Devil are you?:(

Peeps, you were marveling how he'll overcome Monahan as the 1C.

He won't reach that, blame Monahan. Put Bennett with Mony, teams don't shy away from putting the best players together.

We shouldn't either.

Be a team, that is all Pittsburgh does.

Just be a team.

Langkow was drafted #5 overall and was considered the best player in the WHL for his peak season.  The demeanor, the seriousness, the hard work, the grit, the two-way game, the skating, the breakaway speed, etc.   And unfortunately, the mediocre playmaking, passing vision, hesitation, patience/delay, seeing two seconds into the future, etc.

One of the best second line Cs during his time but you ain't winning a Cup with him as your #1 Center.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I just don't see the breakout (obviously hope for it but just don't see it).  We need the Flames to have no options but to play him on the top 6 full time but the Flames have options.  Last season, Monahan was kinda injured to start the season.  Backlund came off a one year wonder.  The sea parted for him so I thought "maybe".  But unfortunately he wasn't ready for that role.

I think it's possible to have a breakout on the 3rd line.  Play Tkachuk with him and a decent RW.  Whether that be Jagr or a breakout candidate like Foo or Poirier, the opportunity is there.  Earn PP time.  Earn an increased role.  The line starts clicking and suddenly you have a line that can equal Backlund's, though you don't deploy them so much in the D-zone.

Just having Tkachuk on your line would give you a bump.  Less defensive responsibilities for Tkachuk and he could become a 60 point guy.  We played Backlund's line 2nd most last season because they were dominant. 

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think it's possible to have a breakout on the 3rd line.  Play Tkachuk with him and a decent RW.  Whether that be Jagr or a breakout candidate like Foo or Poirier, the opportunity is there.  Earn PP time.  Earn an increased role.  The line starts clicking and suddenly you have a line that can equal Backlund's, though you don't deploy them so much in the D-zone.

Just having Tkachuk on your line would give you a bump.  Less defensive responsibilities for Tkachuk and he could become a 60 point guy.  We played Backlund's line 2nd most last season because they were dominant. 

I wish people would really quit numbering lines. Lines have roles and responsibilities, some will get more minutes during a game than others. This team is still building and maturing and I'm sure all of our young core learned a thing or two this past season. We need another scoring line if our 5 on 5 production is going to improve, it only makes sense that the two areas this will come from is a better RW situation for JG and SM and also putting Tkachuk with Bennett. People's is down on Bennett which is fine, he has made that perfectly clear this entire offseason. We can give him all the reasons Bennett should succeed but he is right about one thing only Bennett's play can prove him wrong.

22 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I wish people would really quit numbering lines. Lines have roles and responsibilities, some will get more minutes during a game than others.

Does it really matter?  Everyone on the team knows who is the top line.  Everyone knows who the 4th line is.  

I don't think he's down on Bennett, he had high expectations. You kinda have to. One thing I never thought in my jr viewings of both players was Bennett unseating Monahan.

I don't think that was viable, but I also didn't expect the Flames to have him languish as a 3C without compatible wingers.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Does it really matter?  Everyone on the team knows who is the top line.  Everyone knows who the 4th line is.  

Yeah I think it does matter that is why I said what I did. If you want to simply label lines from a production stand point knock yourself out. Characterizing what is the description of a 1,2,3,4th line is an entirely different thing .

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I don't think he's down on Bennett, he had high expectations. You kinda have to. One thing I never thought in my jr viewings of both players was Bennett unseating Monahan.

I don't think that was viable, but I also didn't expect the Flames to have him languish as a 3C without compatible wingers.

Whether he does or doesn't over take Monahan isn't a major concern, if he does we have a fantastic team finally. Bennett and Monahan two different styles altogether, both still learning how to be better. All I will say about Bennett's past predicament is he wasn't a priority and this was obvious. This is the season he and Tkachuk should be a priority together.

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Whether he does or doesn't over take Monahan isn't a major concern, if he does we have a fantastic team finally. Bennett and Monahan two different styles altogether, both still learning how to be better. All I will say about Bennett's past predicament is he wasn't a priority and this was obvious. This is the season he and Tkachuk should be a priority together.

If not for Gio, Monahan is the C, zero doubt, Bennett won't change that. He isn't "better than Monahan". That ship has sailed.

That says more about Mony than Bennett. If Mony's a leader, put Bennett with him.

Put your best players together.

Just now, conundrumed said:

If not for Gio, Monahan is the C, zero doubt, Bennett won't change that. He isn't "better than Monahan". That ship has sailed.

That says more about Mony than Bennett. If Mony's a leader, put Bennett with him.

Put your best players together.

Not sure where you get that theory from when every other team in the NHL doesn't apply it. Look around.

As for this Monahan vs Bennett, pure hogwash. Have another beer.

Just now, MAC331 said:

Not sure where you get that theory from when every other team in the NHL doesn't apply it. Look around.

As for this Monahan vs Bennett, pure hogwash. Have another beer.

You're only fooling yourself. Are we really going to stay status quo and be better just because?

Ferland 1st RW; Versteeg-Bennett; Stajan-whoever....

As for the hogwash, how so?

Will Bennett be better than Monahan? And how the frick do you come to that conclusion?

I need a beer just to get on your wavelength, I think.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

You're only fooling yourself. Are we really going to stay status quo and be better just because?

Will Bennett be better than Monahan? And how the frick do you come to that conclusion?

I don't know whether he will get better than Monahan... But I think there's a possibility. Their paths are a tad different. Monahan got to play C from the start, and was severely coddled in the process and was introduced with Hudler as a mentor. Bennett played LW with Backlund, which was a great introduction to the NHL. He was close in goals to start his career. The one thing Monahan had for his whole career has been a line mate who can feed the puck to him, or get the puck to the net for him to clean up rebounds... This year has been night and day for comparisons for the two.

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Better have 3 beers. I don't think I have posted anything that adheres to status quo. I do like the pairings theory as a way to go for each line as it provides stability. If a 3rd comes in and compliments any line well you should have a positive plus factor IMO.

To a certain degree YES we will get better by the maturity and gained experience by the young players season to season however it doesn't mean not adding good complimentary players. I also see another season of discovery ahead because I don't see Ferland as the answer at RW with JG/SM. I see Ferland more of a force with MB/MF. Our growth this season IMO will come from Bennett, Tkachuk, Lazar, Jankowski and Foo with addressing the where, when and how they fit in along the way. GG will have some sorting out to do but I really hope he doesn't get to hung up on trying to fit Stajan, Brouwer and Versteeg into significant roles. Don't get me wrong we can use these 3 strategically because they are quality support players.

In addressing your question on why I think Bennett will eventually be better than Monahan, I would have to say because of his take charge aggressiveness. Monahan is one of the most fundamentally sound players I have seen for his age but he has been a large benefactor by playing with JG. I believe if you give Bennett Tkachuk has his LW we will see a huge uptick with our 5 on 5 production, which we need, right ? As I have said I don't see where anyone should want to see either Monahan or Bennett exceed the other, we need both these players to be all they can be. Cheers

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

In addressing your question on why I think Bennett will eventually be better than Monahan, I would have to say because of his take charge aggressiveness. Monahan is one of the most fundamentally sound players I have seen for his age but he has been a large benefactor by playing with JG. I believe if you give Bennett Tkachuk has his LW we will see a huge uptick with our 5 on 5 production, which we need, right ? As I have said I don't see where anyone should want to see either Monahan or Bennett exceed the other, we need both these players to be all they can be. Cheers

Every time Monahan steps on the ice, his head is high, he exudes pride. His control at the dot is something I'm unsure Bennett will ever live up to. Mony was terrible at the dot for a couple of seasons. Now, I'm wondering if he is Toews at the dot.

Just now, conundrumed said:

Every time Monahan steps on the ice, his head is high, he exudes pride. His control at the dot is something I'm unsure Bennett will ever live up to. Mony was terrible at the dot for a couple of seasons. Now, I'm wondering if he is Toews at the dot.

I am not going to fight with you over who will be better between the two. I like Monahan a lot and understand his strengths and weaknesses, he will continue to improve. My hope for this season is Bennett will do the same.

36 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

51.5% doesn't even make the top 50 & is way below Toews's 54.9%.

I'm all for possitivity but be realistic.

Just now, Flyerfan52 said:

51.5% doesn't even make the top 50 & is way below Toews's 54.9%.

I'm all for possitivity but be realistic.

It has improved drastically, and I don't think it has bottomed out a 51.5 yet.

Think Scheifele, only better.:o

Mony will be as intimidating as Getzlaf, in a few years, when he's 25.

There is little doubt in my mind that Bennett won't be able overcome him, Mony's the O leader, I'm all for it.

Perhaps the "boring Sean Monahan" got too much play?

He's going to be a monster. Glad we have him.

My favourite Flames player.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It has improved drastically, and I don't think it has bottomed out a 51.5 yet.

Think Scheifele, only better.:o

Mony will be as intimidating as Getzlaf, in a few years, when he's 25.

There is little doubt in my mind that Bennett won't be able overcome him, Mony's the O leader, I'm all for it.

Perhaps the "boring Sean Monahan" got too much play?

He's going to be a monster. Glad we have him.

My favourite Flames player.

Obviously you're in love (:rolleyes:)  but when you look @ 51.5 to compare to Toews it's a stretch.

Since you mention the Jets their #2C Little was @ 55.6.

Or staying in the age group of Monahan & Scheifele I'll mention Couts (Flyers 3C) was @ 55.1.

To make the comparison fair I stayed with centers that took over 1000 draws.

**********************************************************************************

Not sure what you mean in the high lighted as Getzlaf was only @ 50.3 & SM certainly doesn't seem to have it in him to be as physically intimidating.

9 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Obviously you're in love (:rolleyes:)  but when you look @ 51.5 to compare to Toews it's a stretch.

Since you mention the Jets their #2C Little was @ 55.6.

Or staying in the age group of Monahan & Scheifele I'll mention Couts (Flyers 3C) was @ 55.1.

To make the comparison fair I stayed with centers that took over 1000 draws.

**********************************************************************************

Not sure what you mean in the high lighted as Getzlaf was only @ 50.3 & SM certainly doesn't seem to have it in him to be as physically intimidating.

Thats the one thing I don't like about Monahan's game. He isn't physical, at all! Gaudreau could get murdered and Monahan could care less. It could be why they need Tkachuk on their line. He's more of a presence than Monahan will ever be (physically).

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Thats the one thing I don't like about Monahan's game. He isn't physical, at all! Gaudreau could get murdered and Monahan could care less. It could be why they need Tkachuk on their line. He's more of a presence than Monahan will ever be (physically).

I agree he isn't physical enough but it isn't his responsibility to fight Gaudreau's battles for him either. This is why I advocate having a similar talent on RW with them so the opposition can't simply focus on Gaudreau. Jagr would do the trick for a year and then if we could find a younger version of him would be fantastic.

You know a player that stood out to me during the playoffs was Colton Sissons NAS a RH shot C that plays an aggressive style would be good with JG/SM.

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

He isn't a jerk like some centers in the league.  He fights for position in front of the net.  He scores goals.  How physical is McDavid?  Not much at all, and if he does it's only because he doesn't have to fight.  I would say it's more important that the defense "stick up" for the players on the ice if nobody else does.  We have Gio, Hamonic and Stone as three guys that will stick up.  

As Monahan's confidence grows, you will see him take on the role of a cop on his line, where he doesn't fight a gut that touches Johnny, but prevents them from taking cheap shots after the whistle.

I don't think you'll ever see Monahan "stick up" for teammates and honestly why would you? Why do you want one of your best player sitting in the box for 2 mins off a stupid retaliation penalty that will have no impact on the game. You get effective grit and toughness in your lineup to take care of that not ask Monahan to do it.

The only physical play I care about from Monahan is wining puck battles, board play and making sure he plays tough in the slot. Anything else I think is completely irrelevant to his game and to the Flames winning. 

At this point with Bennett he could be demanding top line minutes, Flames would obviously want him to prove his worth first but its a valid argument for Bennett. It's harder to fulfill his expectations if he's relegated to 3rd/4th line duties...especially with the ho hum wingers he's had to play with. I don't believe he gets more than $3M/yr but it's starting to look like this could drag into training camp...

I don't get the panic around the Bennett contract. We are a month away, give or take, from players having to report and given that Bennett has no rights there is no pressure points at all to getting the contract done. Deadlines spur action and that's the downside with these RFAs that have no rights there really is no reason or pressure to do much negotiation right now. 

All that matters right now is how much work Bennett is putting into his off season and by all accounts it's a lot. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't get the panic around the Bennett contract. We are a month away, give or take, from players having to report and given that Bennett has no rights there is no pressure points at all to getting the contract done. Deadlines spur action and that's the downside with these RFAs that have no rights there really is no reason or pressure to do much negotiation right now. 

All that matters right now is how much work Bennett is putting into his off season and by all accounts it's a lot. 

I'm definitely not panicked about him getting signed, it'll obviously get done. Just not sure if the delay is handcuffing the teams ability to get stuff done in the meantime.

Archived