Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

13 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I am with you. He won't look great for most of the game but still end up with a couple of points. 

I think we are getting to the real Johnny Hockey now.  He's still passing off a bit too much for a player that controls the puck as well as he does.  I think he will start making a few adjustments and shoot more.

Back to Bennett.  He's fine.  He's scoring goals in the blue paint.  He's at 50% on FO's.  He's just not shooting enough.  And he has to reel in the O-zone penalties.  The Flames are being penalized a lot for marginal calls, so he has to keep things clean on offense.  Ferland has zero penalties and is more of a physical player; he just keeps his play clean.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I do have to say the move to have Versteeg on LW and Brouwer on RW is looking good for Bennett progressing with two vets.

I was highly critical of the Versteeg signing because it smelled of a desperate move to find a top line RW for Gaudreau - Monahan.  Which, it was.

But i must say, I didn't consider how well he may have worked on the LW with Bennett - Brouwer.  They look so natural together it's actually pleasantly surprising.  It looks like Versteeg and Brouwer have carried over their Chicago Blackhawk chemistry but with Bennett at Center instead of Toews.  The way Bennett is trending right now, he's basically a 21-year-old Toews.  So much for a sophomore jinx.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I was highly critical of the Versteeg signing because it smelled of a desperate move to find a top line RW for Gaudreau - Monahan.  Which, it was.

But i must say, I didn't consider how well he may have worked on the LW with Bennett - Brouwer.  They look so natural together it's actually pleasantly surprising.  It looks like Versteeg and Brouwer have carried over their Chicago Blackhawk chemistry but with Bennett at Center instead of Toews.  The way Bennett is trending right now, he's basically a 21-year-old Toews.  So much for a sophomore jinx.

Had we not signed Brouwer, I doubt we'd have signed Versteeg.

Let's face it, Versteeg was a "you don't see that, like ever" signing.

I'm thinking this might work out, lol.

I love these guys on each side of Bennett, and the Frolik connection too.

Look at us turning into Chicago, lol.

24 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Versteeg is already a win. We needed to improve our depth ln the wing and he has accomplished that. The only way this bites us is if we give him a Mason Raymond extension. But on a low cap one year this is a great signing so far. 

Different circumstances however glad to have him. We will have a number other players competing for the positions he helps fill now, next year.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Had we not signed Brouwer, I doubt we'd have signed Versteeg.

Let's face it, Versteeg was a "you don't see that, like ever" signing.

I'm thinking this might work out, lol.

I love these guys on each side of Bennett, and the Frolik connection too.

Look at us turning into Chicago, lol.

You could very well be right in your thinking however we ended up with him it is one heck of a pick up at that price for his talent and experience.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

You could very well be right in your thinking however we ended up with him it is one heck of a pick up at that price for his talent and experience.

Versteeg is a steal @ his cost.
& given his history if we look out of it @ TD he's always in demand to a contender (Chicago keeps trading for him) & brings good returns.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

& given his history if we look out of it @ TD he's always in demand to a contender (Chicago keeps trading for him) & brings good returns.

Reminds me a bit of when we picked up Brendan Morrison. Hope he works out for us as well and for a few years.

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I think it's one of those things where the timing was great.

BT told a great story of contacting Brouwer's agent and hearing, "he's in Calgary right now building his house".

He did not know how to take that, lol. It was true.

Maybe I read too much into things, but Brouwer and Versteeg were starting their hockey families together in Chicago.

I seriously believe Brouwer gave us a leg up and some chatter for Versteeg.

Frolik is more of a background player in my conspiracy theory. haha

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think it's one of those things where the timing was great.

BT told a great story of contacting Brouwer's agent and hearing, "he's in Calgary right now building his house".

He did not know how to take that, lol. It was true.

Maybe I read too much into things, but Brouwer and Versteeg were starting their hockey families together in Chicago.

I seriously believe Brouwer gave us a leg up and some chatter for Versteeg.

Frolik is more of a background player in my conspiracy theory. haha

Either way it is good for our team with their combined experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow look at that 2 points goal and assist on the top line almost think that it is Mono a goal and a assist that stirs the pot not JH. OK so that's a bit of a reach but got to admit nice to see that we can still get it done with out JH. I know we lost but we got some goals and we out shot them not sure about out chancing them but we survived what could have been a 1 sided a fair. I also know it is just 1 game post JH but we did ok against top team in our conference it's going to be a long season. We should bring up some kids see if they can help.

11 minutes ago, zima said:

Wow look at that 2 points goal and assist on the top line almost think that it is Mono a goal and a assist that stirs the pot not JH. OK so that's a bit of a reach but got to admit nice to see that we can still get it done with out JH. I know we lost but we got some goals and we out shot them not sure about out chancing them but we survived what could have been a 1 sided a fair. I also know it is just 1 game post JH but we did ok against top team in our conference it's going to be a long season. We should bring up some kids see if they can help.

We are not at the stage of needing to "bring up some kids to see if they can help". Not yet.

We have to get our vets and present lineup playing the system to see if they can keep us/get us in the running first.

This may sound strange but the JH injury might be good for the team. It might help us focus on what we need to do instead of waiting and watching JH try to do it all by himself.

3 minutes ago, zima said:

Stockton's rolling along nicely, I see no reason to start pilfering from them because they're having success.

When Versteeg comes back, Vey will be sent back, so that will help.

I like that Bennett and Mony are together. My thinking is that they will drive each other to be better.

I think both Mony and Johnny have gone through the "weight of expectation" in signing big contracts.

SM has looked really off but he looks like he's settling in again. I've always viewed Mony and Scheifele as similar and we can see Scheifele tearing it up like hot butter, Mony'll get there and Benny riding shotgun is a great place to move him forward imo.

15 minutes ago, zima said:

We had the edge in chances last night 21-17, 15-14 at even strength, I would have liked to see that a little higher considering we had so many powerplays, but chicago is still a good hockey club even if their Pk is "worst in the league".

DD has the right idea I think its going to be nothing but good for this team with JH out for 6 weeks and im excited to see where this goes. Im assuming bennett will continue to gain confidence playing the left side with mony and brouwer, when JH comes back we will probably see him switch back to center, hopefully at that point we are still competing like this every night.

well losing Gio 2 yrs back sure helped the D come into there own in a lot of ways so why not bring the fowards together a little more. I myself would just like to see what the kids can do up here we have given a couple of kids a chance so far why not bring up a kid every now and then as a pat on the back for good play down stairs.

5 minutes ago, zima said:

well losing Gio 2 yrs back sure helped the D come into there own in a lot of ways so why not bring the fowards together a little more. I myself would just like to see what the kids can do up here we have given a couple of kids a chance so far why not bring up a kid every now and then as a pat on the back for good play down stairs.

zima we are not a club setup to showcase our farm system so you can see what they can do.. We are a team that has a mandate to make the playoffs even though we are rebuilding. Go watch them in the AHL to see what they can do.

If they were nhl ready and better than what we have now then they would already be up here competing for that spot. The ones that are here(brought up recently) are only here to fill in for injuries or they have already earned the spot.

No we are a club trying to find ways to win I don't know how many time I have seen a team bring up a kid and he goes on a tear. And yes I have seen go the other way as well. So if the management and coaches have the same attitude as you I guess we will never know.

3 minutes ago, zima said:

No we are a club trying to find ways to win I don't know how many time I have seen a team bring up a kid and he goes on a tear. And yes I have seen go the other way as well. So if the management and coaches have the same attitude as you I guess we will never know.

Who exactly would you like to bring up? and what spot is he filling? the mony line is fine, the backlund line is fine, the ferland line is good enough so you are going to bring up one kid to take maybe veys spot?

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd be in favour of Klimchuk over Vey just to get more speed in the lineup.

Klim-Stajan-Chiasson

We have a few too many RHS in the lower lines...

Vey, Chaisson, Hamilton, Hathaway.  Add to that top 6 players who can play RW...Brouwer, Frolik, Versteeg.

Klimchuk is raising his stock, but he is just finally playing at the pro level.  Could easily derail his development by calling him right now.  I would rather bring in Janko to play between Stajan and Chaisson.  He's a more mature player.  He gives you added size in the middle.  Then you can send down Vey.  Might as well send Shinkaruk as well, since they aren't using him.

46 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Stockton's rolling along nicely, I see no reason to start pilfering from them because they're having success.

When Versteeg comes back, Vey will be sent back, so that will help.

I like that Bennett and Mony are together. My thinking is that they will drive each other to be better.

I think both Mony and Johnny have gone through the "weight of expectation" in signing big contracts.

SM has looked really off but he looks like he's settling in again. I've always viewed Mony and Scheifele as similar and we can see Scheifele tearing it up like hot butter, Mony'll get there and Benny riding shotgun is a great place to move him forward imo.

I don't see it as Bennett riding shotgun. I just think as a winger he drives the play more because he doesn't have to worry about other duties as a center. Bennett plays this way regardless of what line he is on when is a winger. 

I like him as a winger. This is why around the draft I was saying drafting more centers isn't a bad thing. They can always play wing if they need to.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We have a few too many RHS in the lower lines...

Vey, Chaisson, Hamilton, Hathaway.  Add to that top 6 players who can play RW...Brouwer, Frolik, Versteeg.

Klimchuk is raising his stock, but he is just finally playing at the pro level.  Could easily derail his development by calling him right now.  I would rather bring in Janko to play between Stajan and Chaisson.  He's a more mature player.  He gives you added size in the middle.  Then you can send down Vey.  Might as well send Shinkaruk as well, since they aren't using him.

For me, this is exactly what I want to do now, let the farm play and develop. We need to take the time to develop players the right way, especially those not drafted as high as Bennett, Monahan, and Tkachuk. 

Archived