Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

Ok, so I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with Bennett as he has played pretty well this season, but how do we get him to start showing up on the scoresheet?

Maybe my expectations were too high for him this year, but I thought he would come into his own. I know it's early, but he's our #2 centre and has no points.

We can't blame his linemates like we did before, as they have been quality players. I also don't really buy into the "he's learning to play centre in the NHL" because that is his natural position, he's talented and smart, and his line has been getting chances.

Is he just snakebit right now? I don't know, but I picked him in my pool this year and that zero is bugging me.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, CaCaw said:

Ok, so I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with Bennett as he has played pretty well this season, but how do we get him to start showing up on the scoresheet?

Maybe my expectations were too high for him this year, but I thought he would come into his own. I know it's early, but he's our #2 centre and has no points.

We can't blame his linemates like we did before, as they have been quality players. I also don't really buy into the "he's learning to play centre in the NHL" because that is his natural position, he's talented and smart, and his line has been getting chances.

Is he just snakebit right now? I don't know, but I picked him in my pool this year and that zero is bugging me.

I thought he was solid, not great but solid, the first few games but I thikn the last 3 he hasn't been very good. If you want a positive, he isn't a liability defensivly so i guess we can throw that in there but overal I dont' think he is playing very well. 

However, I think its very natural that the players having the biggest struggles on this team right now are the young guys. The vets, Stajan's, Frolik's, Backlunds' Brouwers and even Gio/Brodie are the ones starting to pick things up and for the most part I think are playing well. its the Johnny's, Bennett's, and Monahan's etc that are more inconsistant right now. Hartley was the only coach these guys knew at the NHL level and really these guys haven't known anyone else because they all skipped the AHL. They don't have the experience of a new coach or a fresh voice so I would consider this a more challenging situation for them versus a vet whose been through it. 

but Bennett needs to play better, no questions and find a way to make an impact. He's just fighting it, like most of the team. 

Maybe Bennett isn't as good as we all hope? He does some good things and definitely has skill, and at times he goes to the dirty areas too, so I've no doubt he will be a solid player and the points will come.  But I've never understood the hype for this player.  People place him above Monahan in terms of what they expect long term, but I've never seen anything to suggest he's going to be a point producing juggernaut.  Maybe all he will be is a 20 goal, 40 point player.  And that ain't so bad, is it?

43 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Maybe Bennett isn't as good as we all hope? He does some good things and definitely has skill, and at times he goes to the dirty areas too, so I've no doubt he will be a solid player and the points will come.  But I've never understood the hype for this player.  People place him above Monahan in terms of what they expect long term, but I've never seen anything to suggest he's going to be a point producing juggernaut.  Maybe all he will be is a 20 goal, 40 point player.  And that ain't so bad, is it?

That wouldn't be bad... It's just he was a fourth overall pick, our highest ever I believe, and some had him rated as first or second. I expect more of him, and he was a point producing juggernaut in Jr so he does have that potential. Maybe not at this level I guess, but if he turns out to be a 20/20 point guy I will be disappointed.

I should also add that when I say I have high expectations for him, I don't mean I see him as an 80pt guy. I hope ehe comparisons to Doug Gilmour are true and that he provides in the neighborhood of 60pts, but also leadership, intensity, and so on. A 'killer' instinct if you will.

I know this wouldn't happen, but what if we tried him on the wing with Mony and Jonny? Have they ever tried this? I can't remember. Maybe Jonny plays on his off wing  because offensively he is all over the ice anyway, and defensively he can still cover his man.  Backland moves up,   Stajan moves up.

I know, not gonna happen. Just wondering if it would maybe be worth a  shot cause maybe our first line RW is Jonny.

And yes, Ive been drinking.... heavily.

I agree its disappointing to see Bennett struggle early, not just statistically but he's hardly getting quality chances per game.  It's disappointing because he and Brouwer had such a strong pre-season that Bennett looked poised for a huge breakout.

Not sure what to make of it.  Maybe he needs to go back to LW for a week.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I agree its disappointing to see Bennett struggle early, not just statistically but he's hardly getting quality chances per game.  It's disappointing because he and Brouwer had such a strong pre-season that Bennett looked poised for a huge breakout.

Not sure what to make of it.  Maybe he needs to go back to LW for a week.

Not a bad idea.

Not worried here.   But I Will say.....he's 20.   And could have stood some AHL time after his surgery recovery, in hindsight (or junior, whichever).

For all those looking for Tkachuk to make the club....something to think about.

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Not a bad idea.

Not worried here.   But I Will say.....he's 20.   And could have stood some AHL time after his surgery recovery, in hindsight (or junior, whichever).

For all those looking for Tkachuk to make the club....something to think about.

Exactly something to think about, not everyone regardless of where they are drafted come into the NHL and be instant sensations. Physical attributes are only part of the equation and the real good ones have the brains and advanced hockey sense to excel early. You take Monahan coming in at 19 you could tell how fundamentally sound he was as a hockey player, very mature. Gaudreau was not a 19 year old rookie, very advanced with his game to hit the ice the way he has. Bennett came in with the same style as he employed in Junior which won't work as well against NHL competition. He needs to think the game better and become more of a playmaker if he is to remain a C, which I think he will. I don't think another year in Junior would have helped Bennett change his style or advance I'm mentally which is why they kept him here. Bennett is still a project and as I have said earlier do we want another project in Tkachuk beside him. I say no not this season.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Exactly something to think about, not everyone regardless of where they are drafted come into the NHL and be instant sensations. Physical attributes are only part of the equation and the real good ones have the brains and advanced hockey sense to excel early. You take Monahan coming in at 19 you could tell how fundamentally sound he was as a hockey player, very mature. Gaudreau was not a 19 year old rookie, very advanced with his game to hit the ice the way he has. Bennett came in with the same style as he employed in Junior which won't work as well against NHL competition. He needs to think the game better and become more of a playmaker if he is to remain a C, which I think he will. I don't think another year in Junior would have helped Bennett change his style or advance I'm mentally which is why they kept him here. Bennett is still a project and as I have said earlier do we want another project in Tkachuk beside him. I say no not this season.

Agree with most of this.  A quick comment:   I don't think a team would/should ever advance a player to the NHL due to a Lack of ability.

Bennett is a special case with his shoulder injury/surgery.  Prior to that issue, he was ranked #1 in the 2014 draft.  Maybe he could have made the jump.  I think what you want, is for star players to develop as star players.  I am not sure the NHL makes players smart, any more than any other league.   There is a biological component to it too.  18 year old kids aren't supposed to be wise.  It takes time.  Usually.  The AHL might have been the best fit for him last year but I am not sure if that was possible.

I expect big things from him this year and I'm not phased by the slow start.

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

Agree with most of this.  A quick comment:   I don't think a team would/should ever advance a player to the NHL due to a Lack of ability.

Bennett is a special case with his shoulder injury/surgery.  Prior to that issue, he was ranked #1 in the 2014 draft.  Maybe he could have made the jump.  I think what you want, is for star players to develop as star players.  I am not sure the NHL makes players smart, any more than any other league.   There is a biological component to it too.  18 year old kids aren't supposed to be wise.  It takes time.  Usually.  The AHL might have been the best fit for him last year but I am not sure if that was possible.

Bennett was a bit of a tweener I agree. I mean they did send him back to junior once his shoulder injury healed and then brought him up to the NHL when that season was over. I still think that wa the right call to give him a taste. Last year, in a perfect world I don't think the AHL would have been bad but that wasn't an option as he wasn't eligible. I agree with MAC that at that point junior wasn't a good idea. Bennett has a lot of bad habits from junior, a lot of really skilled guys do, and he needs that worked out of him and he needed to adopt his game.

He is eligible this year but how do you send him to the AHL after a good pre season and a good season lat year? I think he'll be just fine, I just think he is one of the many players over thinking right now. I think you probably are going to have to mix up some lines for him because I'm not sure he can play his speed game as effective as you want with Troy Brouwer on his wing. Wouldn't mind a Ferland-Bennett - Chiason line. Put Brouwer up on the top line.

He'll be fine. Its a slump, not a sign.

On 10/22/2016 at 10:45 AM, cross16 said:

We were honestly luck we avoided a sophomore slump from Monahan and Gaudreau.  Maybe we can't avoid one from Bennett.  It's his contract year and all so maybe we're in for a 30-point season only.  Which might be a blessing in disguise as we can lock him into a bridge contract say 3 years at $3-mil-per rather than have to pay him "Monahan-money" beginning next season.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We were honestly luck we avoided a sophomore slump from Monahan and Gaudreau.  Maybe we can't avoid one from Bennett.  It's his contract year and all so maybe we're in for a 30-point season only.  Which might be a blessing in disguise as we can lock him into a bridge contract say 3 years at $3-mil-per rather than have to pay him "Monahan-money" beginning next season.

Could very well be that way for sure.

FWIW I thougth he was very good against St Louis. 

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎22 at 10:45 AM, cross16 said:

Bennett was a bit of a tweener I agree. I mean they did send him back to junior once his shoulder injury healed and then brought him up to the NHL when that season was over. I still think that wa the right call to give him a taste. Last year, in a perfect world I don't think the AHL would have been bad but that wasn't an option as he wasn't eligible. I agree with MAC that at that point junior wasn't a good idea. Bennett has a lot of bad habits from junior, a lot of really skilled guys do, and he needs that worked out of him and he needed to adopt his game.

He is eligible this year but how do you send him to the AHL after a good pre season and a good season lat year? I think he'll be just fine, I just think he is one of the many players over thinking right now. I think you probably are going to have to mix up some lines for him because I'm not sure he can play his speed game as effective as you want with Troy Brouwer on his wing. Wouldn't mind a Ferland-Bennett - Chiason line. Put Brouwer up on the top line.

Concentration on Bennett's progression is another reason I think Tkachuk should go back to Junior, keep the focus on Bennett this season. I don't see Brouwer as a handicap to Bennett's speed game, if anything Bennett may need to slow down a tad to become the playmaker we need him to be.

WHOA!!!

Have we written Benny off already? You all do realize this kid is playing his 7th game of his 2nd season right? Never mind the fact that the team has been snake bitten around him and hes on his 2nd NHL coach in as many seasons... 

Benny will be fine and Im still expecting 60-65 points from him this year. A couple sub par games right out the gate are not enough for me to see the sky falling all around him. He does so many things at an elite level and we are only getting a glimpse of it so far. 

12 hours ago, TrippinVdUb said:

WHOA!!!

Have we written Benny off already? You all do realize this kid is playing his 7th game of his 2nd season right? Never mind the fact that the team has been snake bitten around him and hes on his 2nd NHL coach in as many seasons... 

Benny will be fine and Im still expecting 60-65 points from him this year. A couple sub par games right out the gate are not enough for me to see the sky falling all around him. He does so many things at an elite level and we are only getting a glimpse of it so far. 

I don't think anyone is or should be writing off Bennett, he is an important part of this team going forward. Personally I would like to see him be more of a playmaker for his line and get another year's experience under his belt.

1 hour ago, TrippinVdUb said:

NAILED IT!!! Benny is on fire...

Bennett is another Gaudreau; they want to be difference makers on the ice.  They both have that drive.  Bennett is on a nice little tear right now, and it seems to have infected Johnny as well.  Nice to have two lines of scoring again.  Bennett will only get better as the season goes on.  Another goal with just around 10 minutes of ice.  

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett is another Gaudreau; they want to be difference makers on the ice.  They both have that drive.  Bennett is on a nice little tear right now, and it seems to have infected Johnny as well.  Nice to have two lines of scoring again.  Bennett will only get better as the season goes on.  Another goal with just around 10 minutes of ice.  

Hopefully we see JG get on a tear soon.

When we drafted Bennett my expectations of Monahan were lower so I saw him as dropping to 2C after Bennett got used to the NHL. Monahan exceeded my expectations so I'm fine with keeping him centering line 1.

If Bennett becomes a dang good 2C I'm fine with that. My expectations were a Mike Richards in his prime so a guy hard to play against that is focused on winning. A defensively sound center that will get into dirty areas. Richards was dangerous even on PK so if Sam does that I'm happy.

With Richards it was a strike/lockout year & his entire draft class had an extra year of junior so he went on to win a Calder after the Rangers season ended & he was able to play AHL. With Bennett there wasn't that option due to injury but I see him hitting my expectations.

Archived