Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

Does anyone actually think Raymond should come back in and Bennett go back out?  Was there any player out there that didn't belong? The closest to that was Bollig, but would he be an upgrade to Bollig on the 4th line?  I can't believe I am saying that.

Maybe the added speed to that line might result in some additional pressure, but I think Raymond only plays good with the puck.  And I wouldn't want him near the 2nd PP unit.

Since this is about Sam, I would say that is the biggest impact from a new rookie player I have seen in one game.  Johnny didn't do that until after he scored his first goal (game 6??). Sam is a keeper.

I agree, Bennett was a total spitfire out there.  His determination to stay on the puck was really something to see and his back checking effort was definitely evident.  I thought his shooting did not look very elite, but he was definitely creating offense with his speed, stick skills and defensive play.  If he continues to play this way, can MayRay ever come back into that spot when Bennett is superior in every way?

With Bolig, I wasn't even sure he was on the ice until I saw the boxscore.  Ferland has supplanted Bolig the same way as Bennett.  I'd take Byron over Bolig for this series.  It wasn't nearly as physical as game 81 with LA, so Bolig has a diminished role. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said in another thread, we had a really effective 2nd line and a great 3rd line. The introduction of bennet and ferland uping his game seemed to spark both of those lines. If our first line can get going, I dont think our top 9 would be doing to bad, small sample size but we will see.

He gave that second line some buzz and for once game them a legitimate winger. I don't think backs or Colborne played any better I just thought they finally got a decent line mate to let them play tier games. There is no way you take Bennett out, he was arguably their best forward.

No disrespect to Lance Bouma,

But the performance of Sam Bennett in Game 1 should silence a lot of the fanbase that goes overboard with love on Bouma.

The line looked a lot less "plumber" and a lot more "talented" than usual. They had some tremendous shifts and have had very little time playing together.

We will need a 2nd line of talent to go anywhere in the playoffs and I think Sam should be on that 2nd line from now on.

Bennett was a total spitfire out there.  His determination to stay on the puck was really something to see and his back checking effort was definitely evident.  I thought his shooting did not look very elite, but he was definitely creating offense with his speed, stick skills and defensive play.

Agreed. Bennett played amazing out there last night.

No disrespect to Lance Bouma,

But the performance of Sam Bennett in Game 1 should silence a lot of the fanbase that goes overboard with love on Bouma.

The line looked a lot less "plumber" and a lot more "talented" than usual. They had some tremendous shifts and have had very little time playing together.

We will need a 2nd line of talent to go anywhere in the playoffs and I think Sam should be on that 2nd line from now on.

I don't think anyone has said Bouma is the perfect 2nd line LW.  What he is:

- grinding player that can step up to help a shutdown 2nd line, while providing some speed and finish

- shot-blocking machine, willing to sacrifice his body to prevent a goal

- a great 4th liner

- heart and soul

We need Bennett and Bouma, but for different roles.  I don't want to see Bennett blocking a Big Buff slapper or a Weber slapper.

I want to see Bennett skating on the rush and going hard to the net.

Bouma (if he was back) would be just as effective adding speed and grit in place of Bollig, or in switching spots with Ferland.  Both benefit from talented linemates.

I think Bouma could do the same thing he does playing with Stajan.

If Bennett ends up a winger, I don't mind that either. Having experience as a C gives him some insight to the game on both ends of the ice and would allow him to play smart on the backcheck.

Wow eating crow here I am so impressed with Bennett's play he was a wrecking ball out there for his first playoff game got an assist and could of had a few more as well as standing in front of the net kind of reminded me of Nieuwendyk. I would hope they stick with same line up next game as well.

I am curious why we don't bring up Hathaway if he is so much like Bouma could use that type of player. 

I think we have to wait until the Addy season is over to make more calls. Once they're finished, they have no limit to call ups and can call the whole farm if they wanted to

Aside from the players signed after the trade deadline.

I wonder if he is eligible to play with the flames. Wasn't he just am addy signing and now just got a 2-way for next year?

I think we have to wait until the Addy season is over to make more calls. Once they're finished, they have no limit to call ups and can call the whole farm if they wanted to

Aside from the players signed after the trade deadline.

I wonder if he is eligible to play with the flames. Wasn't he just am addy signing and now just got a 2-way for next year?

He wasn't on the reserve list, so he can't come up.

If Bouma comes back, i'm okay with the Bouma-Backlund-Jones line.  

I agree with your statement that bennett can carry a line, but im not sure I want him playing centre in a playoff atmosphere till next year. I think if he plays, he plays at the wing. I would almost prefer to see something like bennett-backlund-jooris. I wonder if BH would end up putting Ferland in Bolligs spot and playing Bouma with Stajan if he comes back. Just some thoughts, I think that might leave us with a a balanced attack, something like;

bennett-backs-Jorris

Bouma-Stajan-Jones

Ferland-granlund-Colborne/byron

Im not sure if raymond even fits in this line up with the way bennett and ferland playing in game 1.

The scouting report on Sam Bennett before last year's draft was that he played a lot like his childhood idol and Kingston head coach, Doug Gilmour. 

I know it's one game (that i've watched) but he plays nothing like Gilmour.  He's more closer to Corey Perry i think.  He's obviously not as big and tall but he's probably faster.  He's got some of that relentless sand paper to his style of game, he's hungry for the puck, and he brings pucks to the danger areas. 

This is why I didn't (and still don't) understand not playing him in all 4 final regular season games.

He has a high level of talent and less butterflies should only improve his game.

A team with this work ethic has really missed his skill set, hoping for another big game from him tonight!

This is why I didn't (and still don't) understand not playing him in all 4 final regular season games.

He has a high level of talent and less butterflies should only improve his game.

A team with this work ethic has really missed his skill set, hoping for another big game from him tonight!

Because those games were critical. A single loss likely meant losing the playoffs. It'd be extremely hard to justify upsetting some chemistry for an unknown quantity.

Game 82 gave Bennett a chance to demonstrate he could play, and is likely the only reason he's in the lineup for the playoffs.

The scouting report on Sam Bennett before last year's draft was that he played a lot like his childhood idol and Kingston head coach, Doug Gilmour. 

I know it's one game (that i've watched) but he plays nothing like Gilmour.  He's more closer to Corey Perry i think.  He's obviously not as big and tall but he's probably faster.  He's got some of that relentless sand paper to his style of game, he's hungry for the puck, and he brings pucks to the danger areas.

Good comparison. I do think Gilmour was what you describe as well, though Gilmour was less skill more grit and determination. TBH it is so long ago, in a different NHL, that it's hard to compare them.

I think we have a keeper, though. He is surviving on pure adrenaline right now, and when he understands the NHL game better, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

I give Hartley (and BT) full marks to use him in our first NHL playoffs since forever. I would be curious if he can win any faceoffs, but I don't mind having him playing wing. He seems to go the net frequently, so he has a nose for center.

I know Travel Dude didn't mean it like it sounded, but when I read it I had to just say: Goodness anyone who thinks Doug Gilmour didn't have tremenous skill and was all grit never saw the man play. Everyone was tough, or you didn't make it in the NHL. That goes without saying. But I saw Gilmour play in Calgary, when he was at his very best, and the man had awesome freak skill. Bennett is looking very very good and created more chances than any forward on the Flames in game 1. His talent may mean we have two top lines suddenly, which could be very important.

I know Travel Dude didn't mean it like it sounded, but when I read it I had to just say: Goodness anyone who thinks Doug Gilmour didn't have tremenous skill and was all grit never saw the man play. Everyone was tough, or you didn't make it in the NHL. That goes without saying. But I saw Gilmour play in Calgary, when he was at his very best, and the man had awesome freak skill. Bennett is looking very very good and created more chances than any forward on the Flames in game 1. His talent may mean we have two top lines suddenly, which could be very important.

I was insensed when Gilmour was traded. I followed him from STL to CGY to TO. His grit was what made him famous, not selling his skills short.

Right now we only have one top line, and that line is Bennett's. If Monahan and Hudler don't get going (JH is trying but can't do into his own) this may be a short series--but I have faith they will.

Archived