Contracts, Cap, And Considerations

s4xon

i agree that any team has to be smart and use the draft and FA to fill there needs. the Flames as this year has gone on have shown there is depth in our farm and the current players have progressed under Hartley. i don't think the strategy should get to crazy going forward. i wouldn't mind seeing Mason Raymond and Paul Statsny signed for the proper money as FAs. Trade Hudler plus to see if we could get better at RW or D. If we have a chance to gain some more draft picks, great, keep building the farm up.

The Wild got the 2 most sought UFAs last year.

They've drafted in the top 5 twice in their existance. Gaborik left as a UFA & you decide what you think of Pouliot.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One example of an incredibly rare signing. And they haven't won anything.

I am not supportive of trying to lose, or cheering to lose. But drafting high is part of the cycle for most teams.

The Edmonton Oilers are the exception. Most great teams have had their turn in the dumps and the players they drafted are a key part of the success they are having.

Everyone that is in favor of the build from the bottom (but for good reasons  lol) uses the best case scenario so I previously mentioned cases where that didn't work.

In the same vein this is a rebuttal to the "we can't attract high end UFAs". Minny has about the same weather as cold Canadian spots, has 0 cups & wasn't noted as a true contender in their history. If you want to mention it was 2 players with ties to the state there are more players produced in Alberta.

Both show you don't have to be terrible, draft top 3 for years nor blame location.

How high do you want to draft & how many years do you want to do that is the real ?.

Peeps,

No one said drafting 1/1 = Oilers mentality. 

I'm saying tanking it to draft 1/1 = Oilers mentality.

Watch this interview with Taylor Hall : http://www.tsn.ca/VideoHub/?found=taylor%20hall&show=305424

He's full of excuses and pissed that he's not in the limelight.  You'll see why the Oilier mentality is just the type I don't want around the Flames. 

Everyone is saying that though… Anytime anyone argues against going 1st overall makes an Oiler reference. Which I don't think makes sense.

The Wild got the 2 most sought UFAs last year.

They've drafted in the top 5 twice in their existance. Gaborik left as a UFA & you decide what you think of Pouliot.

Well, that situation is an exception. How often does that happen? Parise is from Minnesota isn't' he? What about Suter? His wife is from Minnesota. 

Just on Cap Geek looking at next seasons roster. Than asked the question of what are we going to look like next season. Many have pointed out we have some good prospects but lack top 6 guys and some top Dman.

I think we can all agree we need vets in the lineup to provide leadership and some form of competitiveness. So the question is who stays, gets promoted or who do we acquire this summer.

15a05e3b0a322bc6de6327e43690e03f.png

8ce5db741b0251587e514c1dfa8fda46.png

91e89df98f2daf8cba70d8941000951c.png

58bdde656949dddae80dcd3ed7d98b9b.png

So what's everyone's thoughts on this? Who gets resigned, who do we go after, who gets promoted?

It is always hard to say what management will do but looking at the information you provided there will be plenty of competition for jobs. As I have said in another thread I think Cammalleri is gone and there will be a trade or two come draft day. I am going to leave Hudler and Bryon off because I think they will be traded. I don't see any of our UFA's resigned. i won't get into all of the RFA but Bouma and Ortio should definitely receive extended contracts. One FA pick in the off season I would make is Mason Raymond LW so here are my selections.

Raymond LW, Backlund C, D Jones RW

Glencross LW, Monahan C, Colburne RW

Baertschi LW, Stajan C, M Granlund RW

Bouma LW, M Reinhart C, McGrattan RW

D-Pairings

Giordano L, Smid R

Brodie L, Wideman R

Russell L, Wotherspoon R

Goalies

Ramos & Ortio

Just on Cap Geek looking at next seasons roster. Than asked the question of what are we going to look like next season. Many have pointed out we have some good prospects but lack top 6 guys and some top Dman.

I think we can all agree we need vets in the lineup to provide leadership and some form of competitiveness. So the question is who stays, gets promoted or who do we acquire this summer.

15a05e3b0a322bc6de6327e43690e03f.png

8ce5db741b0251587e514c1dfa8fda46.png

91e89df98f2daf8cba70d8941000951c.png

58bdde656949dddae80dcd3ed7d98b9b.png

So what's everyone's thoughts on this? Who gets resigned, who do we go after, who gets promoted?

This is a good question. There have been thoughts about this in other threads, but I lie how you have laid this out so nicely and easy to work from.

I will start with the goalies and work my way out with my thoughts.

Ortio will be re-signed to a decent contract. At 22 years old, he has played himself into a competitive position to make the big club as early as next season. I honestly believe that they will give Ramo full lead next year with a veteran backup as support with Ortio spending most of next season in Abby as the starter there for that little extra seasoning. I would rather Joni get the playing time and the pressure to be the top dog in Abby than back up another starer.

Olivier Roy will likely be re-signed to a 2-way contract. At 22 and an RFA, he is good enough to be a backup to Ortio in Abby. It is unlikely that he will move up in the pecking order any time soon, but you never know.

I don't see there being much action on Joey Mac early in the offseason. He is a good enough backup with a lot of experience that could help our younger goalies. If the Flames are unable to find an upgrade, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mac sign for another year or 2 on an economy salary.

Gillies still has 2 more years of college which gives the other goalies, and the Flames, 2 more years to show their stuff.

I could see Burke making offers to Halak, Elliot and / or Greiss... Maybe Hiller but I think he wants to stay more the accelerated rebuild course which means no player over 30. I believe this will be determined by the play of Ramo to the end of the season.

As for D, Smith walks for sure. There is no way with the recent showing of Wotherspoon that at 29 Smith is even offered a contract spot in Abby. Calgary really needs to develop the young guys and get them moving, Smith just does not fit that role well enough.

Billins, Cundari and Martin will all receive qualifying offers. They are still young enough that they provide solid roles on the Heat at least. Cundari needs a season for sure after this long injury to show if he still has something there.

Breen likely sees a 2 way contract offer. I am not sure if he will accept the offer but at 24 he still has a year or 2 to really prove he can step up. He isn't really blocking any other prospects so why not keep him going?

Butler is a big question mark for me. Having stepped up his D game, especially blocking shots, he has increased his value in the NHL. He could actually be a reasonable pickup for some team. I believe that he will test the UFA waters and the Flames will likely be out bid. I would think the Flames will offer him 2 years 1.75 - 2 mil but he will sign 3 - 4 years 2.25 - 2.5 mil somewhere else. I just think other teams will offer more than the Flames need to pay him. With the play of Wotherspoon and the need for a better top 4 shut down D man, I just don't see Butler as a long term piece of this team. That being said, if other teams do not make him the higher offers he might be back as a late signing.

UFA D to go after in my mind are the following 2:

Niskanen: 6', 209 lbs RH shot with 10 goals, 40 points and a +32 this season. Top 4 RH shot D-man is something we need. #48 in the league in hits with 110 (only Flame D with more is Smid). 67 Blocked shots. Only 36 Give aways, fewer than Smid, Butler, Brodie, Giordano, Wideman. Over 21 minutes per game.

Nikitin: 6'4, 223 lbs young Dman. He has a lot to prove but could be worth the gamble. Has played fewer games, has more points, a + rating and fewer PIM than Butler. #93 in Hits with 76 (ahead of Giordano). 70 blocked shots. Only 19 Give aways. 17 minutes per game.

I think Niskanen should be a priority chase on D. He is young, puts up solid numbers and is a RH shot which the Flames really need. He would really solidify the top 4 of the Flames D. This likely pushes out another D man, but the Flames can live with moving a LH shot Dman  if they can pick up Niskanen. Nikitin is less wanted, but he could still be brought in to fight with Smid and Russell for a spot. 

When I look at the forwards, Byron, Bouma and Colbourne have earned spots on the club. Their work ethic and abilities in given roles have really shone, especially lately. Hanowski likely sees another 2 way contract. Eddy might get a 2 way, but not likely. 

I am not sure that a deal can get done with Cammalleri, I hope it can, but it is not looking too good. It is possible that Burke can trade his rights for a 4th round pick at the draft for an early negotiation, but possibly not.

Westgarth is likely moving on.

As for FA additions, I think Calgary takes a shot at Stastny and I hope they jump at Raymond. This could really set the Flames well for an accelerated rebuild.

Hudler / Stastny / Backlund

Raymond / Monahan / Colbourne

Glencross / Stajan / Byron (Granlund)

Bouma / Reinhart / McGrattan 

Giordano / Wideman

Brodie / Niskanen

Russell / Smid (Wotherspoon) - Pending trade / need

I might be a little unpopular by leaving Baertschi off the roster, but he could still learn a lot in the minors and Byron is the better 3rd liner. Glencross has 1 more year on his contract with an nmc. With his history of injuries, I think we see him play out his contract then move on to another team as a role player. When Glencross moves on, Baerschi steps up.

These are my thoughts on how the Flames might go about speeding up the rebuild.

It is always hard to say what management will do but looking at the information you provided there will be plenty of competition for jobs. As I have said in another thread I think Cammalleri is gone and there will be a trade or two come draft day. I am going to leave Hudler and Bryon off because I think they will be traded. I don't see any of our UFA's resigned. i won't get into all of the RFA but Bouma and Ortio should definitely receive extended contracts. One FA pick in the off season I would make is Mason Raymond LW so here are my selections.

Raymond LW, Backlund C, D Jones RW

Glencross LW, Monahan C, Colburne RW

Baertschi LW, Stajan C, M Granlund RW

Bouma LW, M Reinhart C, McGrattan RW

D-Pairings

Giordano L, Smid R

Brodie L, Wideman R

Russell L, Wotherspoon R

Goalies

Ramos & Ortio

This doesnt even get us to cap floor. Sven needs at least 1 more year in AHL. Same with Wotherspoon.

This is a good question. There have been thoughts about this in other threads, but I lie how you have laid this out so nicely and easy to work from.

I will start with the goalies and work my way out with my thoughts.

Ortio will be re-signed to a decent contract. At 22 years old, he has played himself into a competitive position to make the big club as early as next season. I honestly believe that they will give Ramo full lead next year with a veteran backup as support with Ortio spending most of next season in Abby as the starter there for that little extra seasoning. I would rather Joni get the playing time and the pressure to be the top dog in Abby than back up another starer.

Olivier Roy will likely be re-signed to a 2-way contract. At 22 and an RFA, he is good enough to be a backup to Ortio in Abby. It is unlikely that he will move up in the pecking order any time soon, but you never know.

I don't see there being much action on Joey Mac early in the offseason. He is a good enough backup with a lot of experience that could help our younger goalies. If the Flames are unable to find an upgrade, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mac sign for another year or 2 on an economy salary.

Gillies still has 2 more years of college which gives the other goalies, and the Flames, 2 more years to show their stuff.

I could see Burke making offers to Halak, Elliot and / or Greiss... Maybe Hiller but I think he wants to stay more the accelerated rebuild course which means no player over 30. I believe this will be determined by the play of Ramo to the end of the season.

As for D, Smith walks for sure. There is no way with the recent showing of Wotherspoon that at 29 Smith is even offered a contract spot in Abby. Calgary really needs to develop the young guys and get them moving, Smith just does not fit that role well enough.

Billins, Cundari and Martin will all receive qualifying offers. They are still young enough that they provide solid roles on the Heat at least. Cundari needs a season for sure after this long injury to show if he still has something there.

Breen likely sees a 2 way contract offer. I am not sure if he will accept the offer but at 24 he still has a year or 2 to really prove he can step up. He isn't really blocking any other prospects so why not keep him going?

Butler is a big question mark for me. Having stepped up his D game, especially blocking shots, he has increased his value in the NHL. He could actually be a reasonable pickup for some team. I believe that he will test the UFA waters and the Flames will likely be out bid. I would think the Flames will offer him 2 years 1.75 - 2 mil but he will sign 3 - 4 years 2.25 - 2.5 mil somewhere else. I just think other teams will offer more than the Flames need to pay him. With the play of Wotherspoon and the need for a better top 4 shut down D man, I just don't see Butler as a long term piece of this team. That being said, if other teams do not make him the higher offers he might be back as a late signing.

UFA D to go after in my mind are the following 2:

Niskanen: 6', 209 lbs RH shot with 10 goals, 40 points and a +32 this season. Top 4 RH shot D-man is something we need. #48 in the league in hits with 110 (only Flame D with more is Smid). 67 Blocked shots. Only 36 Give aways, fewer than Smid, Butler, Brodie, Giordano, Wideman. Over 21 minutes per game.

Nikitin: 6'4, 223 lbs young Dman. He has a lot to prove but could be worth the gamble. Has played fewer games, has more points, a + rating and fewer PIM than Butler. #93 in Hits with 76 (ahead of Giordano). 70 blocked shots. Only 19 Give aways. 17 minutes per game.

I think Niskanen should be a priority chase on D. He is young, puts up solid numbers and is a RH shot which the Flames really need. He would really solidify the top 4 of the Flames D. This likely pushes out another D man, but the Flames can live with moving a LH shot Dman  if they can pick up Niskanen. Nikitin is less wanted, but he could still be brought in to fight with Smid and Russell for a spot. 

When I look at the forwards, Byron, Bouma and Colbourne have earned spots on the club. Their work ethic and abilities in given roles have really shone, especially lately. Hanowski likely sees another 2 way contract. Eddy might get a 2 way, but not likely. 

I am not sure that a deal can get done with Cammalleri, I hope it can, but it is not looking too good. It is possible that Burke can trade his rights for a 4th round pick at the draft for an early negotiation, but possibly not.

Westgarth is likely moving on.

As for FA additions, I think Calgary takes a shot at Stastny and I hope they jump at Raymond. This could really set the Flames well for an accelerated rebuild.

Hudler / Stastny / Backlund

Raymond / Monahan / Colbourne

Glencross / Stajan / Byron (Granlund)

Bouma / Reinhart / McGrattan 

Giordano / Wideman

Brodie / Niskanen

Russell / Smid (Wotherspoon) - Pending trade / need

I might be a little unpopular by leaving Baertschi off the roster, but he could still learn a lot in the minors and Byron is the better 3rd liner. Glencross has 1 more year on his contract with an nmc. With his history of injuries, I think we see him play out his contract then move on to another team as a role player. When Glencross moves on, Baerschi steps up.

These are my thoughts on how the Flames might go about speeding up the rebuild.

Agree with most of this. Resign our significant RFA's (Colborne, etc). Graduate two of Byron, Reinhart and Granlund to full time nhl. I think Byron has showed that he can handle a bottom 6 role (his closing speed has been valuable on the PK). Reinhart can handle energy line duty and fill in elsewhere as he progresses. Granlund imo returns to Abby with Sven for one more year of seasoning. Breen has a chance at the 7th dman role and rotates in against teams with bigger forwards (LA, etc).

I also agree that Ortio should go back to Abby for one more year and bring in a veteran journeyman goalie to assist Ramo. Is it Greiss, is it Halak or Elliot? Lots of options for a platoon partner for Ramo in FA. Heck maybe even Marty Brodeur. Im partial to the older vets because it shows Ramo the guy is there to assist him not take his job.

As far as FA's go Stastny is #1 on my list and really the only C in FA worth chasing for more than a bottom 6 job.

We need at least 1 FA add at LW. If this is Cammi so be it but I think reading between the lines in recent interviews he is at least going to the open market to see what his value is. Thats fine, I think Glenx can handle top line LW minutes if he turns out to be our best LW. Lots of LW's to chase in FA (Vanek, Moulson, Raymond, etc).

We also have an opportunity to improve on Butler. Be it McDonald or Niskanen in that 5 mil range or more mid value range guys like Niskanen or Fayne around the 3mil range.

The key is to graduate a couple young guys and then get a couple higher end FA's to get to cap floor. Challenge for a playoff spot next year.

Agree with most of this. Resign our significant RFA's (Colborne, etc). Graduate two of Byron, Reinhart and Granlund to full time nhl. I think Byron has showed that he can handle a bottom 6 role (his closing speed has been valuable on the PK). Reinhart can handle energy line duty and fill in elsewhere as he progresses. Granlund imo returns to Abby with Sven for one more year of seasoning. Breen has a chance at the 7th dman role and rotates in against teams with bigger forwards (LA, etc).

I also agree that Ortio should go back to Abby for one more year and bring in a veteran journeyman goalie to assist Ramo. Is it Greiss, is it Halak or Elliot? Lots of options for a platoon partner for Ramo in FA. Heck maybe even Marty Brodeur. Im partial to the older vets because it shows Ramo the guy is there to assist him not take his job.

As far as FA's go Stastny is #1 on my list and really the only C in FA worth chasing for more than a bottom 6 job.

We need at least 1 FA add at LW. If this is Cammi so be it but I think reading between the lines in recent interviews he is at least going to the open market to see what his value is. Thats fine, I think Glenx can handle top line LW minutes if he turns out to be our best LW. Lots of LW's to chase in FA (Vanek, Moulson, Raymond, etc).

We also have an opportunity to improve on Butler. Be it McDonald or Niskanen in that 5 mil range or more mid value range guys like Niskanen or Fayne around the 3mil range.

The key is to graduate a couple young guys and then get a couple higher end FA's to get to cap floor. Challenge for a playoff spot next year.

Breen has shown no great ability to play against bigger teams.  He was injured playing against one.  He is slow.  I would rather have Smith than Breen, unless Breen takes power skating lessons.  Also, one of Wotherspoon or Seiloff should make the team next year.

Butler is ok for Y2 of the rebuild; he has improved a lot since the start of the season.  Not as many "the Butler did it" jokes lately.

Byron is already fulltime NHL.  Reinhart is usefull on 3/4 lines.  Granlund looks to be top 6 abilities, but I don't know he wins that spot out of camp.

I don't see going after Raymond or Vanek; we had the chance for Raymond this year and passed on him.

Statsny is one I would go after, but I think he gets re-signed.

If Skinner is on the trade block, I would consider giving up a 1st in 2015; I don't see us being a bottom 5 team next year.  It would take more than that, but it all depends on what they want.  Wideman ( ;) ) or Hudler ( :( ), probably more like Backlund.

Breen has shown no great ability to play against bigger teams.  He was injured playing against one.  He is slow.  I would rather have Smith than Breen, unless Breen takes power skating lessons.  Also, one of Wotherspoon or Seiloff should make the team next year.

Butler is ok for Y2 of the rebuild; he has improved a lot since the start of the season.  Not as many "the Butler did it" jokes lately.

Byron is already fulltime NHL.  Reinhart is usefull on 3/4 lines.  Granlund looks to be top 6 abilities, but I don't know he wins that spot out of camp.

I don't see going after Raymond or Vanek; we had the chance for Raymond this year and passed on him.

Statsny is one I would go after, but I think he gets re-signed.

If Skinner is on the trade block, I would consider giving up a 1st in 2015; I don't see us being a bottom 5 team next year.  It would take more than that, but it all depends on what they want.  Wideman ( ;) ) or Hudler ( :( ), probably more like Backlund.

Butler is ok but why resign him unless we cant get better than him in UFA? Breen still has potential, Smith does not. Wotherspoon has shown he is still a year out. Id rather he get big minutes in AHL than be sitting as 7th dman in press box. Same argument you make for Granlund or Sven. Id rather we have Breen who really wouldnt benefit much more in the AHL taking that spot. Hes never going to be a top 4 guy but he can rotate in for a season and see what we have there. That would be the initial plan at least, perhaps flames camps will change that if seiloff or wotherspoon drastically outplay him.

I like Skinner but why would Carolina move him unless we gave up some of our own young assets to get him. In the end it would be just a neutral move rebuild wise. While it is good to establish the goal of making the playoffs next year as a target for the players to work towards, the real goal is to build a sustainable cup challenger. To do so you need to build a solid core and establish a pipeline of prospects to refill spots that expire for whatever reason. Getting a guy like Skinner just takes away from that pipe and moves the time horizon closer.

Great points but this is tough as we need to hit the cap floor. There has been many guys increase their worth this season for the Flames. We may see a lot of movement this off season. As I agree Byron, Backs, Bouma, Colburne, Butler have increased their worth not sure how many or who stays. 

This if difficult as we have so many spots and needs but reality is some have to be moved to fix them. Our largest issue is going to be defense and top 6 forwards.

What are the penalties for not hitting the floor ? I wouldn't go signing players to big contracts just to meet the floor. There will be some of our own players worthy of more money heading into next year. I disagree with you on Wotherspoon he has shown well up here and what is the difference between the way they brought Brodie on vs getting him into the mix. We are rebuilding not going for a SC next year. Baertschi will have to progress and make the team out of camp next year, let his play decide. If Baertschi doesn't make it we have others for LW. You don't know at this point if a young player needs another full year in AAA or whether he comes ready to contribute this next season.

This doesnt even get us to cap floor. Sven needs at least 1 more year in AHL. Same with Wotherspoon.

What are the penalties for not hitting the floor ? I wouldn't go signing players to big contracts just to meet the floor. There will be some of our own players worthy of more money heading into next year. I disagree with you on Wotherspoon he has shown well up here and what is the difference between the way they brought Brodie on vs getting him into the mix. We are rebuilding not going for a SC next year. Baertschi will have to progress and make the team out of camp next year, let his play decide. If Baertschi doesn't make it we have others for LW. You don't know at this point if a young player needs another full year in AAA or whether he comes ready to contribute this next season.

penalties are very severe. We don't want to even flirt with the idea of not spending the min.

penalties are very severe. We don't want to even flirt with the idea of not spending the min.

I don't think there are penalties it just is not allowed ie you cannot submit a valid roster that is under the cap and the league would not permit a roster move that takes you below the cap.

I don't think there are penalties it just is not allowed ie you cannot submit a valid roster that is under the cap and the league would not permit a roster move that takes you below the cap.

Wouldn't a non-valid game roster with no way of getting it to meet the cap result in a forfeit of game?

I doubt we'd even be allowed to start the season being non-compliant.

Looked up a thumbnail. Same penalties as exceeding. Fines of 1-5 million, forfeited picks, suspention of "club actor" (usually deemed to be the GM) & forfeiture of any game affected by that circumvision.

So no tankers, it doesn't work as a quick ride to last place as that pick would probably be 1 of those lost. :)

Wouldn't a non-valid game roster with no way of getting it to meet the cap result in a forfeit of game?

I doubt we'd even be allowed to start the season being non-compliant.

Looked up a thumbnail. Same penalties as exceeding. Fines of 1-5 million, forfeited picks, suspention of "club actor" (usually deemed to be the GM) & forfeiture of any game affected by that circumvision.

So no tankers, it doesn't work as a quick ride to last place as that pick would probably be 1 of those lost. :)

Yes I'm pretty sure you can't field a roster to start the season that is above or under the cap. If you fall under it for a day or so maybe they would impose a penalty but I'm pretty sure the league would not allow a team to play unless they were cap compliant

Ok just for something to do I throw this together. Some players I moved, and this maybe a pipe dream. Here is a team I put together for next season: 

536201b01825cd76113f825c57908506.png

Pretty sure there will be a frenzy for the guys I signed but it looks good IMO  :D

You may also be forgetting that Patrick Kane was the result of the biggest jump in the draft lottery. The Blackhawk were originally slotted at #5

No team that has blatantly tanked has gone on to riches.

-ottawa ( the reason for the lottery in the first place) tanked and got Alexander Dangle

- oilers drafted Hall over Seguin, etc it can be argued that none of their #1 picks were right

Bottom line, tanking teaches your team how to lose. I would love to see us legitimately get #1 pick next year..but not at the cost of flushing the culture we've worked to develop this year right down the old swirling dumper

• 2 weeks later...

Took another crack at setting the expected lineup:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
Flames 2014
FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.500m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Benoit Pouliot ($3.000m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Joe Colborne ($0.660m)
Lance Bouma ($0.635m) / Max Reinhart ($0.618m) / Brian McGrattan ($0.750m)
T.J. Galiardi ($1.250m) / Paul Byron ($0.708m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dennis Wideman ($5.250m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m)
Nikita Nikitin ($3.500m) / Kris Russell ($2.600m)
T.J. Brodie ($2.125m) / Ladislav Smid ($3.500m)
Christopher Breen ($0.578m) /
GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)
Thomas Greiss ($2.000m)
BUYOUTS
Shane O'Brien ($0.533m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,077,267; BONUSES: $1,110,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,022,733

Retained RFAs: Galiardi, Byron, Colborne, Bouma
Retained UFAs: Breen
UFA Signings: Vanek, Pouliot, Nikitin, Greiss

Explanation:

Q: Why no Sven/Granlund/Wotherspoon/Seiloff/Ortio
A: All of these players would be better served development wise if they see major minutes in the AHL. These would be the call ups if a major injury occured to someone on the Flames not for 1-2 game bumps and bruises. 

Q: Why Graduate Byron and Reinhart
A: Both of these players have shown that they can handle their bottom 6 role in the NHL and have shown improvement in the AHL level. This is a continuation of their development.

Q: Why no Knight/Agostino/Hanowski/Brabant
A: These guys look like they need another year in AHL before pro potential can be better gauged

Q: Why Breen
A: Breen brings a space eating element that is currently lacking in the flames roster but is a bubble player. Ideally he is rotated in on an as needed basis for matchup play that can take advantage of his tools. Perhaps he takes a step forward or we cut bait when Wotherspoon and Seiloff are ready for full time.

Q: Why Greiss
A: Flames need a backup that can handle about 30ish games and platoon with Ramo. In the event Ramo bails next year it would be preferable to have a younger guy with some experience that can pair with Ortio the following year. There are lots of different options with goalies with guys like Halak, Elliot, etc all available as well.

Q: Why Vanek
A: Flames need to get to the cap floor and have a hole for a top line winger if Cammi leaves. If Cammi stays this is his spot and some of his cap dollars. Moulson is another consideration but he seems best as a 2nd line winger ala GlenX.

Q: Why Pouliot
A: Flames need a 3rd line winger that can move into a top 6 role in the event of injuries there. Currently all of our prospect wingers would cap out at a solid 3rd liner working low teens ATOI per game. Colborne, Galiardi, Byron, Bouma, etc are not top 6 wingers. Ideally this winger can challenge an underachieving Jones for his ice time as well. Other considerations may be a Steve Downie.

Q: Why Nikitin
A: Flames need to upgrade from Butler. Flames are also currently set with good skating offensive type dmen with Russell, Brodie and Wideman. Nikitin is a large bodied, good skating dman that has a bit of offensive upside. The key for this role would be to get a player that skates well enough and big enough to take on teams with big players. Nikitin is one way to address it or a guy like Mark Fayne.
Andrew McDonald or Niskanen from Pitt are also options if you cant get a guy to fit this role but they will cost much more. Let other teams over pay for points on a stacked Pitt team.

Q: Why Galiardi
A: First he is a RFA. Qualify him for the year and see how things shake out. Low cost equates to good value. He had a down year in terms of production but he does skate well can throw the body decently enough and can handle a bottom 6 role. If he is able to get his shooting percentage back up to career norms he may stick. He is an experienced presence to help support and challenge our young players in the bottom 6. He reminds me of Sean Donovan. Id rather have a good skater out there giving it his all rather than roll the dice with a UFA, especially because he is still young enough to show some upside.

if the Flames were to spend the money to build up their top two lines here is what I would go for using some of what we have and adding.

Trade for Toffoli to play RW with Monahan C and bring in Mason Raymond for LW. I honestly think Raymond is a star waiting to explode.

Top line I would slide Backlund to LW, bring in Statsny C and use Colburne at RW.

I can see Raymond in that same role as Pouliot, excel at 3rd line W and can push guys for a top 6 role. He and GlenX can team up in a 1a 1b platoon in the event we cant land a true top line winger.

I dont know what basis you are graduating colborne to top line winger on. Hes had one season with 10 goals playing protected minutes with monahan. He is like a younger david moss. Riding shotgun with monahan is a good spot for him and as monahan goes he can hopefully go as well.

My ideal is if stastny makes it to UFA but I dont think colorado lets him go. He would likely be the top player in UFA for alot of teams as well.

if the Flames were to spend the money to build up their top two lines here is what I would go for using some of what we have and adding.

Trade for Toffoli to play RW with Monahan C and bring in Mason Raymond for LW. I honestly think Raymond is a star waiting to explode.

Top line I would slide Backlund to LW, bring in Statsny C and use Colburne at RW.

Why would you move Backlund to wing when he is developing as a decent NHL center? 

Raymond is not a star waiting to explode. He will be a 15-20 goal guy for his career, 25 tops.

I can see Raymond in that same role as Pouliot, excel at 3rd line W and can push guys for a top 6 role. He and GlenX can team up in a 1a 1b platoon in the event we cant land a true top line winger.

I dont know what basis you are graduating colborne to top line winger on. Hes had one season with 10 goals playing protected minutes with monahan. He is like a younger david moss. Riding shotgun with monahan is a good spot for him and as monahan goes he can hopefully go as well.

My ideal is if stastny makes it to UFA but I dont think colorado lets him go. He would likely be the top player in UFA for alot of teams as well.

I don't think he's putting Colborne and Monahan on the top line and using Stasny on it. I think the Monahan line was meant to be the 2nd. 

Like you said about "if" we can't land a player that is better with respect to Colburne. I think his play has grown substantially this year and should he put 15-20 Ibs on for next season I wouldn't be afraid to use him there. We are still rebuilding. I would like to see us get Toffoli to play RW along side Monahan and I agree with what you are saying with respect to Raymond and Glencross to play LW on this 2nd line.

I also agree that getting Statsny is a longshot but I won't discount Backlund play this year either, I think he finally "gets it". Management will have to decide the priorities of either a top level C or a few talented wingers to go along with the C we have now.

Archived