Contracts, Cap, And Considerations

s4xon

A thread for all things contracts, including capspace, amount of contracts currently on the Flames roster, impending UFA's/RFA's, and future contract considerations.

http://www.capgeek.com/flames

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with Berra and Stemps gone, the Flames have 2 extra contracts available going into the home stretch of the season. 

College/University prospects will be ending their season, and a few CHL'ers are on the cusp of either earning a contract, or parting ways with the org.  Who will be signed?

To name a few:

Agostino

Arnold

Gaudreau

Gillies

Jankowski

John Gilmour

Harrison

Any possible NCAA FA's

Coda Gordon

Kulak

Eric Roy

Cammy is also going forward to Free Agency, unless Burke is somehow able to swing a deal for him.  What's your best guess for term and $$? Or does he walk?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A thread for all things contracts, including capspace, amount of contracts currently on the Flames roster, impending UFA's/RFA's, and future contract considerations.

http://www.capgeek.com/flames

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with Berra and Stemps gone, the Flames have 2 extra contracts available going into the home stretch of the season. 

College/University prospects will be ending their season, and a few CHL'ers are on the cusp of either earning a contract, or parting ways with the org.  Who will be signed?

To name a few:

Agostino

Arnold

Gaudreau

Gillies

Jankowski

Harrison

Any remaining College FA's

Coda Gordon

Kulak

Cammy is also going forward to Free Agency, unless Burke is somehow able to swing a deal for him.  What's your best guess for term and $$? Or does he walk?

Of those, i figure:

Agostino - Most likely to get a contract, and play out the remainder of the NHL season not unlike Hanowski did last year.

Arnold - Possible, he's in his senior year like Agostino,

Gaudreau - Not a chance, he's got another year or two till he finishes collage, only once he graduates will we see him.

Gillies - Not sure, if he is in his final year of collage then absolutely and he definitely gets a contract over Arnold, if he has another year or two to go then no.

Jankowski -  Still has some work to do and is only a freshman I believe, he needs to finish school first.

Harrison - No idea and don't care, don't see him more than an career AHLer 

Any remaining College FA's - I think you listed all of them, or at least any worth mentioning anyway.

Coda Gordon - Not sure, but I think he's at best a fringe NHLer, but I don't know much about him, but going to go on a limb and say no.

Kulak - If Gillies still has school time to do Hell yes, and definitely yes over Arnold my choices based on those most probable to be finished school this year are:

1.  Agostino

*2.  Kulak

*Unless Gillies is done his schooling. 

Of those, i figure:

Agostino - Most likely to get a contract, and play out the remainder of the NHL season not unlike Hanowski did last year.

Arnold - Possible, he's in his senior year like Agostino,

Gaudreau - Not a chance, he's got another year or two till he finishes collage, only once he graduates will we see him.

Gillies - Not sure, if he is in his final year of collage then absolutely and he definitely gets a contract over Arnold, if he has another year or two to go then no.

Jankowski -  Still has some work to do and is only a freshman I believe, he needs to finish school first.

Harrison - No idea and don't care, don't see him more than an career AHLer 

Any remaining College FA's - I think you listed all of them, or at least any worth mentioning anyway.

Coda Gordon - Not sure, but I think he's at best a fringe NHLer, but I don't know much about him, but going to go on a limb and say no.

Kulak - If Gillies still has school time to do Hell yes, and definitely yes over Arnold my choices based on those most probable to be finished school this year are:

1.  Agostino

*2.  Kulak

*Unless Gillies is done his schooling. 

I would say Johnny H, Arnold and Agostino to be singed as soon as they are done.  Will probably be too late to play on the Flames, but could go to Abby for the playoffs.  Gillies needs another year in the NCAA.  Kulak and Culkin (one or both) will probably get signed.

Well according to capgeek, the Flames are at 45 contracts with SOB listed as 'buried'.  That gives the Flames 5 contracts to fill. 

Kulak looks like a signing that should happen, and he's been cleared of any criminal charges that were pending against him as they were dropped.  Abby needs D, and Kulak has been having a very good year in the WHL with the Vancouver Giants.

Arnold and Gaudreau are both speculated to sign once the season is done, but they may head deep into the NCAA playoffs, and even the Frozen Four as the Gaudreau, Arnold, Hayes line is the best in the US.

Agostino should be signing as well.

----------------------------------------------------------

The biggest concern is the Flames hitting the cap floor next year.  Cammy may walk, and Butler isn't a guy you give a $5 mil contract to.  Neither are any of the pending RFA's for next season.

To name a few:

Agostino - Signs and plays in the AHL this season and next.

Arnold- Same,

Gaudreau - Same

Gillies- Plays one more year possibly two

Jankowski- At best 2 years away from Abbey

Harrison-  He is 2 years away as well. I really liked this kid at prospect camp, has a chip and plays burke style hockey

Coda Gordon- He signs 

Kulak - He SIgns

Cammy is also going forward to Free Agency, unless Burke is somehow able to swing a deal for him.  What's your best guess for term and $$? Or does he walk? Cammi walks and we get nothing!

To name a few:

Arnold- Same,

Gaudreau - Same

Harrison-  He is 2 years away as well. I really liked this kid at prospect camp, has a chip and plays burke style hockey

Coda Gordon- He signs 

Kulak - He SIgns

Cammy is also going forward to Free Agency, unless Burke is somehow able to swing a deal for him.  What's your best guess for term and $$? Or does he walk? Cammi walks and we get nothing!

I assume you mean the rest of this season for the Heat and next season for the top 3.  I have reconsidered Gillies to be signing this year; need him in the AHL for next year.

Cammi will sign.  His value isn't that high this season, so he needs another prove-it contract to make him more attractive.  I think 1 year at 6m.  Given a better season, he gets traded to a contender and gets a chance at a cup (and decent payday).

http://capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/5911

I think one of the reasons that trade values were down this year is that teams are concerned with the quickly declining CDN dollar the cap is barely going to go up next year. Maybe like to 65M from 64M. As such alot of the teams that would usually bring in a big name on deadline day didnt offer much because they would have no ability to sign said played and recoup investment even if they wanted to. As such many of these guys are true rentals this year.

What this also means is that a team like Calgary with a good amount of cap space has an opportunity to make a big splash and hasten the rebuild with good young UFA's.

You got moulson at 5m/yr, callahan at 6.5m/yr, niskanen at 4m/yr and halak at 4m/yr to platoon with ramo. Are those what those guys are worth? Who knows but its a decent ball park. Qualify all the flames RFA's (Bouma, Breen, Galiardi, Colborne) and keep Westgarth around to protect the younger guys (or someone like him to switch off with McGratton). Graduate Reinhart to full time NHLer, Knight and Granlund in abby on deck with Baerstchi and Seiloff. Tell me that roster didnt just get better and filled with "truculence" in a hurry. And heck flames even have decent centre depth for once.

They all go to the AHL. There is no way Cammi resigns in again.

I assume you mean the rest of this season for the Heat and next season for the top 3.  I have reconsidered Gillies to be signing this year; need him in the AHL for next year.

Cammi will sign.  His value isn't that high this season, so he needs another prove-it contract to make him more attractive.  I think 1 year at 6m.  Given a better season, he gets traded to a contender and gets a chance at a cup (and decent payday).

http://capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/5911

I think one of the reasons that trade values were down this year is that teams are concerned with the quickly declining CDN dollar the cap is barely going to go up next year. Maybe like to 65M from 64M. As such alot of the teams that would usually bring in a big name on deadline day didnt offer much because they would have no ability to sign said played and recoup investment even if they wanted to. As such many of these guys are true rentals this year.

What this also means is that a team like Calgary with a good amount of cap space has an opportunity to make a big splash and hasten the rebuild with good young UFA's.

You got moulson at 5m/yr, callahan at 6.5m/yr, niskanen at 4m/yr and halak at 4m/yr to platoon with ramo. Are those what those guys are worth? Who knows but its a decent ball park. Qualify all the flames RFA's (Bouma, Breen, Galiardi, Colborne) and keep Westgarth around to protect the younger guys (or someone like him to switch off with McGratton). Graduate Reinhart to full time NHLer, Knight and Granlund in abby on deck with Baerstchi and Seiloff. Tell me that roster didnt just get better and filled with "truculence" in a hurry. And heck flames even have decent centre depth for once.

Early reports have the cap going up to 71 mill next year. They may be worried long term but the cap is going up a fair bit next year.

I think Harrison and Jankoskk for sure go back yk NCAA as neither are ready and IMO Gilles should too. No reason to rush him and I would take advantage of the fact you own his rights longer. Also frees up a contract spot for next year.

I'd sign all the NCAA guys and Kulak, Culkkn but I wold probably pass on Gordon. I don't see an NHL calibre prospect in Gordon and with the flames reserve list growing may be best to use that spot on higher picks.

Early reports have the cap going up to 71 mill next year. They may be worried long term but the cap is going up a fair bit next year.

Projected now at 68 million due to Canadian dollar.

Regardless you can fit reasonable UFA contracts in under 65M so no matter what number it goes to there is room for that type of manuever here.

My key add this off season would be to upgrade from Butler. I think between Gio, Wideman, Brodie and Russell we have a good amount of offensive skaters type dmen. What I want is a top 4 dman that is big strong and mobile. Doesnt need to be the best passer, just feel like we need a guy that can punish forwards. Kind of like a Brent Seabrook type at 6'3 225ish but without the offensive upside just need closing speed.

Nikita Nikitin and Mark Fayne are two guys that I think might fit this mold from the ranks of the UFA's this off season:

Both are 6'3"+ and 210+ and are regarded as strong skaters. Both are in that high teens ATOI area that indicate they are probably playing bottom pair usually and might be ready to step into a top 4 role

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471348
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471816

I really like this analysis of Fayne:
"Fayne is very mobile for a man of his stature, as he moves quite effortlessly in all directions. He uses his large frame and reach to his advantage when defending, especially off the rush. While there is the odd time he gets caught out of position defending, Fayne was learning on the fly as a pro in the NHL and should get better in that regard as he gains more experience. That all being said, he plays a safe, relatively mistake free game in his own end and will learn to take the body with more regularity as he gains experience. Fayne won’t ever be known as an offensive defenseman, but he is a good passer with a heavy and accurate shot that he seems to almost always hit the net with."

Here is some highlights of the guys: Number 7 and 29
http://video.devils.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8471816

Heck he is even that RH shot we are always chasing.

Prime target for me in UFA imo.

When you go to cap geek we have $30 Million in cap space left with a terrible roster. Our prospects are looking very good but we really don't have outstanding vets. We can't roster the young guys as we will be no where near the floor.

Burke and the new GM have a lot of work to do this summer. 

When you go to cap geek we have $30 Million in cap space left with a terrible roster. Our prospects are looking very good but we really don't have outstanding vets. We can't roster the young guys as we will be no where near the floor.

Burke and the new GM have a lot of work to do this summer. 

Add to that I see so many posters wanting to get rid of our few vets we do have.

Cammy, great mentor. Ultimate professional. Who can better show our prospects what it is like to understand the business side of hockey and yet still be a professional on how they go about thier training and work??

Hudler. I have little doubt that Hudler is one of the major reasons that our prospects are willing to put in the time and effort every night...

Wideman. I am of the opinion that Wideman has had the most influence on Brodies and Russels progression. I would say Gio too but I think Wideman has as well.

To name a few:

Arnold- Same,

Gaudreau - Same

Coda Gordon- He signs 

Kulak - He SIgns

I feel like Burke made the right decision to keep Cammi because he's not backing down on what he thought fair value was. If Cammalleri walks, I am ok with that too. I feel like he will walk. I don't know if other teams would be clamouring to trade us a pick just to have negotiating rights with him either. 

I also can't see Burke signing him to a deal that makes him un-tradeable in the future. I'd see him going for 5M… It's all I'd sign him for, and that still seems high for me. 

I'd play Reinhart and Granlund one more year in the AHL next year. Same goes for Baertschi. I just feel like one more year will season them and they'll be ready for the NHL. Hopefully this year didn't hurt Ferland too much. I was keen on him improving and playing a good role on the 3rd line in the future. 

Ward seemed to think he wasn't going to see Knight at all this year down in Abby. Monahan staying is the reason for Knight being with the Heat. Maybe he gets some calls next year, depending on his improvements. Ward thinks he has NHL talent, and is honing the weaknesses in his game. 

If we need to get to the cap floor, maybe we sign a FA or two on a 1-2 year term? IF they'd take it. This could be the year we take on bad contracts for picks or prospects to get us to the floor. 

With Agostino, Arnold, and Reinhart down with the Heat, the Heat will be a powerhouse next year. Add in Granlund, Gaudreau and Baertschi and maybe Poirier that's going to be killer. 

Heat:

Granlund, Reinhart/Knight, Baertschi (depends on who gets the call up, Knight or Reinhart)

Gaudreau, Agostino/Arnold, Poirier (Arnold may have more chemistry with Gaudreau)

Ferlund, Agostino/Arnold, Klimchuk 

Because Knight might be a bit more mature, maybe he's the one who gets to stay up next year. I think developing the kids is the most important part of our rebuild right now. I don't think we should rush them in. 

If this is what the Heat looks like next year, I hope they stay in Abby and I can go see more games! WOW

I feel like Burke made the right decision to keep Cammi because he's not backing down on what he thought fair value was. If Cammalleri walks, I am ok with that too. I feel like he will walk. I don't know if other teams would be clamouring to trade us a pick just to have negotiating rights with him either. 

I also can't see Burke signing him to a deal that makes him un-tradeable in the future. I'd see him going for 5M… It's all I'd sign him for, and that still seems high for me. 

I'd play Reinhart and Granlund one more year in the AHL next year. Same goes for Baertschi. I just feel like one more year will season them and they'll be ready for the NHL. Hopefully this year didn't hurt Ferland too much. I was keen on him improving and playing a good role on the 3rd line in the future. 

Ward seemed to think he wasn't going to see Knight at all this year down in Abby. Monahan staying is the reason for Knight being with the Heat. Maybe he gets some calls next year, depending on his improvements. Ward thinks he has NHL talent, and is honing the weaknesses in his game. 

If we need to get to the cap floor, maybe we sign a FA or two on a 1-2 year term? IF they'd take it. This could be the year we take on bad contracts for picks or prospects to get us to the floor. 

I think one of Reinhart or Knight make the team next year but thats about it for young guys. We need to spend to get to the cap floor.

Need 1D, 1G (Ortio should be playing full time in AHL not backing up Ramo next year) and 2 top 6 F.

I think one of Reinhart or Knight make the team next year but thats about it for young guys. We need to spend to get to the cap floor.

Need 1D, 1G (Ortio should be playing full time in AHL not backing up Ramo next year) and 2 top 6 F.

I'm not so sure Ortio will be backing up anyone next year....I think he could make a legitimate case for starter, or shared starting duties.

As I type this, we're done 2-0 to LA.  He's clearly not ready yet.  But by next season?    Different story.

I'm thinking we need to bring in 2 D's, and maybe a RW as well.

Of course, I'm making the assumption that Gillies will be backing up the Heat.  If that's not the case, then would lean more towards your suggestion.

I still don't know how the Flames aka Burke is going to manage to pull this off.  A Cammy deal is imminent, but if his camp decides to walk to FA, then the Flames are in a real pickle.

The cap isn't as high as the 71 mil they suggested earlier in the season, but I believe it's still going to be around 68 mil.

I'm not so sure Ortio will be backing up anyone next year....I think he could make a legitimate case for starter, or shared starting duties.

As I type this, we're done 2-0 to LA.  He's clearly not ready yet.  But by next season?    Different story.

I'm thinking we need to bring in 2 D's, and maybe a RW as well.

Of course, I'm making the assumption that Gillies will be backing up the Heat.  If that's not the case, then would lean more towards your suggestion.

Losing 2-0 doesn't mean he's not ready. But then, I haven't seen the goals and whether he should have had them. From there on, look at Patrick Roy's last game in Montreal, he let in 9. hehe, was he ready? :P 

Losing 2-0 doesn't mean he's not ready. But then, I haven't seen the goals and whether he should have had them. From there on, look at Patrick Roy's last game in Montreal, he let in 9. hehe, was he ready? :P

Watching the game last night I would blame none of the goals on Ortio. I'll admit he looked deflated after the third but still kept making saves. Deflections, bounces and screens. Roy on his best day would have let at least 2 of those in.

As for next year, what about trying to sign Stastny from the Avs? Make him an offer, get to the floor and add a center who is still putting up pretty good numbers at 28 years old.

Ortio needs playing time. He has shown the ability to get into position which is important but you can tell a) he hasnt adjusted to the quick releases of the NHL yet and B) predicting the plays so he can get set quicker

After this season hopefully he spends next season in the AHL seeing it as slower pace, growing confidence and then making the transition to the NHL. Spending next year behind Ramo doesnt do him any favours. That said, should Ramo get injured you would want Ortio called up to take the majority of the starts to gain that experience. As such the best backup for Ramo next year is a reliable vet on a 1 or 2 year deal kind of like McDonald is backing up Ortio now.

Watching the game last night I would blame none of the goals on Ortio. I'll admit he looked deflated after the third but still kept making saves. Deflections, bounces and screens. Roy on his best day would have let at least 2 of those in.

As for next year, what about trying to sign Stastny from the Avs? Make him an offer, get to the floor and add a center who is still putting up pretty good numbers at 28 years old.

I still don't know how the Flames aka Burke is going to manage to pull this off.  A Cammy deal is imminent, but if his camp decides to walk to FA, then the Flames are in a real pickle.

The cap isn't as high as the 71 mil they suggested earlier in the season, but I believe it's still going to be around 68 mil.

Regardless of where the axe finally falls the flames are significantly below the cap.

This is the flames if they only qualify their RFA's (Galiardi, Colborne, Byron, etc): http://www.capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/6445

Two of Knight, Reinhart and Byron should be able to make the roster full time next year. Granlund, Sven, etc are getting time in AHL until a top 6 forward gets injured.

Salary floor is 16 mil below cap. So if the cap is 68 mil flames need to spend 52 mil.

There are some young assets that are currently looking at UFA that can a) help us get to the cap and B) accellerate the rebuild.

This is an example of bringing in a) two top 6 forwards B) a top 4 dman and c) a vet backup goalie.
Including dropping 7M each on two top end guys like Callahan and Stastny. Not saying that they will get or deserve that but that would be what we can offer.
http://www.capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/6448
As you can see even paying a good dollar like that we are only about halfway between cap and floor.

This is the flames if they only qualify their RFA's (Galiardi, Colborne, Byron, etc): http://www.capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/6445

Two of Knight, Reinhart and Byron should be able to make the roster full time next year. Granlund, Sven, etc are getting time in AHL until a top 6 forward gets injured.

Salary floor is 16 mil below cap. So if the cap is 68 mil flames need to spend 52 mil.

There are some young assets that are currently looking at UFA that can a) help us get to the cap and B) accellerate the rebuild.

This is an example of bringing in a) two top 6 forwards B) a top 4 dman and c) a vet backup goalie.

Including dropping 7M each on two top end guys like Callahan and Stastny. Not saying that they will get or deserve that but that would be what we can offer.

http://www.capgeek.com/armchair-gm/roster/6448

As you can see even paying a good dollar like that we are only about halfway between cap and floor.

Well, going out and signing a high scoring center/winger/dman for lots of $$ to hit the cap floor is one thing, but taking on gargantuan contracts for menial players isn't in the recipe for rebuilding right. You have to look at issues such as contract length and fitment of the team playing style as well.

I expect Burke, and especially the new 'Yes Man' to be very picky when it comes to acquiring vets.  They aren't looking to continue with past trends.

Stastny I could see going forward as the Flames desperately need a top center, but I'm not so sure the Avs are going to let him walk.

Well, going out and signing a high scoring center/winger/dman for lots of $$ to hit the cap floor is one thing, but taking on gargantuan contracts for menial players isn't in the recipe for rebuilding right. You have to look at issues such as contract length and fitment of the team playing style as well.

I expect Burke, and especially the new 'Yes Man' to be very picky when it comes to acquiring vets.  They aren't looking to continue with past trends.

Stastny I could see going forward as the Flames desperately need a top center, but I'm not so sure the Avs are going to let him walk.

Yes, I draw the line at 28 yrs old. Any older than that and they are likely to be on the downside of their contract when the team needs the cap space most. A top end player like Stastny at 28 getting 7M per year for 5 years and ending when he is 33 isnt a bad contract. You are essentially paying him for the last 5 years of his peak years.

Im not advocating giving any UFA we can find top dollar, Im saying lets not make money be the decider when trying to land those younger top end free agents this summer.

With the lower than expected cap and many teams under a contract crunch this year I can see some preferred teams or teams that are closer to a cup being able to match the dollars we put on the table.

Archived