Contracts, Cap, And Considerations

s4xon

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A comment in the GDT (vs LA) got me thinking about our smallish defense corps.

An upcoming UFA that isn't an offensive hotshot but plays responsible hockey is Adam Pardy. 6'4", 220 lb. & just turned 30.

I'd like him to play a bit meaner but he'd work on the 2nd pairing. He actually seemed to play better for the Jets when his ice time went up.

I know we'd be bringing back a player we released but @ the time we had Sarich & Hannan replaced him for less then the Stars offered ($2 million). He made 0.6 this season so would need a bump to 1.0-1.5 but that's still cheap.

With Sarich & Hannan gone the closest we have is Smid. Ideally we'd have 2 defensemen of that ilk.

Off topic but I saw a picture of a Phaneuf NHL figure labled toy recall. Reason for recall: Choking Hazard. :lol:

A comment in the GDT (vs LA) got me thinking about our smallish defense corps.

An upcoming UFA that isn't an offensive hotshot but plays responsible hockey is Adam Pardy. 6'4", 220 lb. & just turned 30.

I'd like him to play a bit meaner but he'd work on the 2nd pairing. He actually seemed to play better for the Jets when his ice time went up.

I know we'd be bringing back a player we released but @ the time we had Sarich & Hannan replaced him for less then the Stars offered ($2 million). He made 0.6 this season so would need a bump to 1.0-1.5 but that's still cheap.

With Sarich & Hannan gone the closest we have is Smid. Ideally we'd have 2 defensemen of that ilk.

Off topic but I saw a picture of a Phaneuf NHL figure labled toy recall. Reason for recall: Choking Hazard. :lol:

Personally, I think Butler is a better Dman.  From what I have seen, Pardy is a bit of a softy.  Butler IMO has improved a fair bit this year, he's playing tougher as well.  Burkie has left the sixth spot open so far.  I have this feeling that something big (top pairing Dman) is coming to us in the off season.  

Personally, I think Butler is a better Dman.  From what I have seen, Pardy is a bit of a softy.  Butler IMO has improved a fair bit this year, he's playing tougher as well.  Burkie has left the sixth spot open so far.  I have this feeling that something big (top pairing Dman) is coming to us in the off season.  

Ideally we get that top pairing D but with the limited supply & major demand won't pin my hopes on it.

I was thinking of easier to sign additions that do strenghten the team. Low hanging fruit if you will.

& I'm 1 of the few that has seen Butler as a value on the blue line the last few years. I still hope he's re-signed even if Pardy is added.

Ideally we get that top pairing D but with the limited supply & major demand won't pin my hopes on it.

I was thinking of easier to sign additions that do strenghten the team. Low hanging fruit if you will.

& I'm 1 of the few that has seen Butler as a value on the blue line the last few years. I still hope he's re-signed even if Pardy is added.

Do you think Wotherspoon will be ready next year and play one of those stay at home positions you're referring to?

Or is he better served in the AHL one more year?

Do you think Wotherspoon will be ready next year and play one of those stay at home positions you're referring to?

I guess it would depend if we re-up Butler and who we would acquire over the next couple months, but personally I really thought T-Spoon played really well with his call up.

I would say see how he does during pre-season and maybe bring him up in the later half of the season, no rush after all, I think a combo of time with Ward and Hartley will do wonders.

I think Wotherspoon needs to be in the AHL. He wasn't awful but personally I found him quite overwhelmed more often then not and with his shoulder becoming an issue is rather see him get stronger in that league.

I guess it would depend if we re-up Butler and who we would acquire over the next couple months, but personally I really thought T-Spoon played really well with his call up.

I would say see how he does during pre-season and maybe bring him up in the later half of the season, no rush after all, I think a combo of time with Ward and Hartley will do wonders.

I think Wotherspoon needs to be in the AHL. He wasn't awful but personally I found him quite overwhelmed more often then not and with his shoulder becoming an issue is rather see him get stronger in that league.

I agree with both. I was asking out of hypotheticals. I am ok with waiting on the prospects so they develop properly. 

Just wondering all your guys n girls thoughts on how we get to the cap floor of 52mil?

This is how I think it kind of sits.  We need to add 7mil.  How do you suppose we go about doing this?

FORWARDS

Paul Byron ($0.800m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) 
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Joe Colborne ($1.000m) 
T.J. Galiardi ($1.250m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / David Jones ($4.000m) 
Brian McGrattan ($0.750m) / Lance Bouma ($0.750m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m) 
DEFENSEMEN
Dennis Wideman ($5.250m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m) 
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Kris Russell ($2.600m) 
T.J. Brodie ($2.125m) / Tyler Wotherspoon ($0.925m) 
GOALTENDERS
Karri Ramo ($2.750m) 
Joey MacDonald ($0.925m) 
BURIED
Shane O'Brien ($1.075m) 
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $44,545,000; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $26,555,000

I don't see anything wrong with our top pairing being Giordano LS and Wideman RS. After this pairing I think we need to get players playing where they play best. Brodie plays best from the LS and because he like to roam I would team him up with Smid for the RS. Now with the 3rd pairing and having Russell also a LS defenseman that is very mobile but on the smaller side perhap a player like Matt Greene as a FA would be worth picking up. Leave Wotherspoon in AAA for more seasoning and available for depth.

The 52 million was projected before the Canadian dollar had issues. It's not going to take much to get us over the floor.

Burke has already said he plans on making big changes thus summer with the expectation of getting better and getting bigger.

I can see Burke over paying for Stasny, with Team USA ties it's a possibility. If Cammi walk that is

I don't see anything wrong with our top pairing being Giordano LS and Wideman RS. After this pairing I think we need to get players playing where they play best. Brodie plays best from the LS and because he like to roam I would team him up with Smid for the RS. Now with the 3rd pairing and having Russell also a LS defenseman that is very mobile but on the smaller side perhap a player like Matt Greene as a FA would be worth picking up. Leave Wotherspoon in AAA for more seasoning and available for depth.

I actually prefer we bring in Wortherspoon, He's got NHL size, smarts and a great work ethic. I think he already proved he can progress in the NHL as I think we all witnessed he got visibly better with each game. Much like Monahan he's a level headed, mature & committed student of the game.

The Flames commitment to the merit system will reward those who commit to improving during the summer. Finally we have a culture where the vets know their jersey isn't safe & more importantly the rookies know they will be rewarded for hard work the country club culture is dead.I think if a spot is close between a vet & a rookie, the rookie should get to prove himself. 

The only way we should sign a Vet D-man is if we either get rid of one or make the playoffs.

I  just hope Widemen can bounce back from his horrible, injury plagued season.

I dunno, I think that Giordano and Brodie have made each other so much better by being a pair. Brodie allows Giordano to do his thing while I think Giordano does the same. 

I disagree only because I think Brodie is more comfortable playing the LS. I found him awkward on the RS and would rather he be where he can use his strengths. I thought he played well with Smid and then Wideman went down and they switched Smid over to the LS and put Brodie on the RS. Anyways I like the group we have in the making with Wotherspoon but I wouldn't bring Butler back. I like the idea of adding Greene because he is such a punishing force in front of our net and corners.

I dunno, I think that Giordano and Brodie have made each other so much better by being a pair. Brodie allows Giordano to do his thing while I think Giordano does the same. 

I disagree only because I think Brodie is more comfortable playing the LS. I found him awkward on the RS and would rather he be where he can use his strengths. I thought he played well with Smid and then Wideman went down and they switched Smid over to the LS and put Brodie on the RS. Anyways I like the group we have in the making with Wotherspoon but I wouldn't bring Butler back. I like the idea of adding Greene because he is such a punishing force in front of our net and corners.

Gio/Brodie was one of the better combos in the NHL this season.  Both ended the season as plus players despite getting the hard duty. Gio had a career year playing with Brodie.  And if you look at the possession numbers both were MUCH better together than apart.  

Splitting up that combo would be a HUGE mistake IMO.  

Just wondering all your guys n girls thoughts on how we get to the cap floor of 52mil?

This is how I think it kind of sits.  We need to add 7mil.  How do you suppose we go about doing this?

FORWARDS

Paul Byron ($0.800m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m) 

Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Joe Colborne ($1.000m) 

T.J. Galiardi ($1.250m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / David Jones ($4.000m) 

Brian McGrattan ($0.750m) / Lance Bouma ($0.750m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m) 

DEFENSEMEN

Dennis Wideman ($5.250m) / Mark Giordano ($4.020m) 

Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Kris Russell ($2.600m) 

T.J. Brodie ($2.125m) / Tyler Wotherspoon ($0.925m) 

GOALTENDERS

Karri Ramo ($2.750m) 

Joey MacDonald ($0.925m) 

BURIED

Shane O'Brien ($1.075m) 

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $44,545,000; BONUSES: $850,000

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $26,555,000

That's a very good question KidKappa........looks like the Flames are going shopping!

This is where the scouting investment should pay off.  Not many of us know about the sub 26 yr olds as many have been hiding under their respective teams umbrella.  After one quick look at he UFA table I have the following suggestions:   

Emery in goal in exchange for Joey Mac

Moulson in exchange for Cammi 

Resign Butler 

Not sure where that puts us but I'm guessing there is cash to spare?  What a great feeling, cash to spare for what suits our fancy, unlike years past.

Never said they weren't good together just that I would move them to get the best of them playing the LS where all of Giordano, Brodie and Russell play best IMO. Giordano and his play I think allows Wideman to be better and not worry about running around covering up for others.

Gio/Brodie was one of the better combos in the NHL this season.  Both ended the season as plus players despite getting the hard duty. Gio had a career year playing with Brodie.  And if you look at the possession numbers both were MUCH better together than apart.  

Splitting up that combo would be a HUGE mistake IMO.  

Just some random thoughts, but I think letting Joey Mac walk to make room for a Greiss(thanx cross) or Montoya is a good move for a #2 goalie.

I'd also like to see a veteran dman take Butler's spot to help mentor the younger guys, say a Quincey or an Orpik. A d-first dman would also bump Wideman up a bit.

In the forward ranks, I hate to say this, but Penner was a Burke guy so perhaps he could be motivated to play for a deadline trade back to Getzlaf and Perry?

It would still leave room for another forward upgrade, and I'm looking at it from an addition by subtraction standpoint, simply signing ufa's to the one's we let walk, while bumping salary over the floor.

Go easy on me! Just thinking aloud...

Digging a little deeper, Bolland and Ott. Wow, we could get awfully hard to play against in a hurry. If only Jones' $4mil were tradeable.

Glut of centers? Still gotta have the right types, Backlund and Bouma to RW/LWs to play with and learn.

Galiardi-Bolland-Backlund

MacGrattan-Ott-Bouma.

That is a killer bottom 6, if you're into that kind of thing!

IF we have trouble reaching the floor could we potentially sign some Make-A-Wish kids to 1 yr 1Mil deals and then have them retire or buy them out?  It would get us to the floor, help out families in need, get some good PR and not use up a roster spot for one of the prospects.  Is this possible? Would they count against our contract limit all year? 

IF we have trouble reaching the floor could we potentially sign some Make-A-Wish kids to 1 yr 1Mil deals and then have them retire or buy them out?  It would get us to the floor, help out families in need, get some good PR and not use up a roster spot for one of the prospects.  Is this possible? Would they count against our contract limit all year?

Pretty sure that would be violation under cap circumvention. Floor is partially to ensure competitive team is fielded.

Archived