Connor Mcdavid Watch

jjgallow

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without directing this at anyone or attempting to come off as a big jerk, I just want to reiterate that there is absolutely no chance of any NHL team drafting Connor McDavid and trading him (unless McDavid refuses, of course).

Taking the emotion out of it, we do not even need to discuss the merits of whether such a good trade could be a good hockey decision.

That is because all 30 GMs work in For-Profit organizations.

The market value of McDavid alone is so astronomical that there is not a team that would consider voluntarily trading him.  Forget the risk of an unproven player.  The risk of being wrong, is too great.

Yes, the Lindros trade won the other team a cup.

But, that other team (Quebec Nordiques) no longer exists, for financial reasons.

Neither, at an NHL capacity, does Pierre Page.

I feel like this should be the end of the conversation, but I know it won't be.   It is, for me, my last comment on it.

Without directing this at anyone or attempting to come off as a big jerk, I just want to reiterate that there is absolutely no chance of any NHL team drafting Connor McDavid and trading him (unless McDavid refuses, of course).

Taking the emotion out of it, we do not even need to discuss the merits of whether such a good trade could be a good hockey decision.

That is because all 30 GMs work in For-Profit organizations.

The market value of McDavid alone is so astronomical that there is not a team that would consider voluntarily trading him.  Forget the risk of an unproven player.  The risk of being wrong, is too great.

Yes, the Lindros trade won the other team a cup.

But, that other team (Quebec Nordiques) no longer exists, for financial reasons.

Neither, at an NHL capacity, does Pierre Page.

I feel like this should be the end of the conversation, but I know it won't be.   It is, for me, my last comment on it.

The amount of press he gets in Canada is quite amazing. He has marketability in this country without proving anything at the NHL level. Great. How does that relate to teams/fans south of the border that don't follow CHL hockey or care about WJC? It doesn't. The GM that picks 1st will look at available return for this asset, and decide what suits them best. It's not automatic that a team like the Coyotes or Canes would pick him. Toronto, yes. Oilers, most likely yes. Buffalo, most likely, but they could decide to trade.

No need to respond, as you have your opinion aout what you believe every NHL GM thinks.

Let's say Flames miss the playoffs but win the draft lottery.  Phily goes crazy again and makes the Flames an offer for Connor McDavid,

To Flames,

Claude Giroux

Jakub Voracek

Sean Couturier

Brayden Schenn

Luke Schenn

1st round pick 2016

The Flames would have to trim cap to absorb these players like get rid of Stajan, Raymond, and Engellend.

Bennett - Giroux - Voracek

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Schenn - Couturier - Poirier

Bouma - Backlund - Jones

x: Colborne, Ferland

Giordano - Brodie

Russell - Wideman

Smid - Schenn

x: Wotherspoon

Ortio

x: Hiller/Ramo

I think this can win the Cup.  So therefore, it's worth it to trade McDavid.

If it guaranteed an immediate Stanley Cup, there is no one in the league that I would not trade.

Calgary has only made to the SCF 3 times in 35 years.

There are no hockey dynasties anymore, so never pass up an opportunity, as it may be a long time between chances.

• 5 weeks later...

If it weren't for luck, Kevin Lowe should have been canned long ago. 4 first round picks in 6 years! Holy sh#t. Oilers have hope again and some terrific trade bate now that they can keep McDavid.

They....actually do have hope now.

And they shouldn't.

It's not right.

• 3 months later...

This puppylove is incredible.

jj will become a fan of what ever team drafts him.

Now now FF, we don't know that he'll be drafted by an NHL team, it's far too early for that ;)

So that means he's drafted by Edmonton?

:lol:

creepy...

• 1 month later...

So TSN is all over the story of McDavid registering 2 assists in the Oilers first scrimmage game. Too bad we don't have an emote that signifies throwing up  :wacko: .

I mean come on it's a damn scrimmage game, not the Stanley Cup Final. The season hasn't even started yet and already they're fawning over the kid. I'm so sick about hearing about how McDavid is going to be the savior of the Oilers and that he's the next great one. Maybe he will be, maybe he won't but can we please wait on the regular season to begin before we start tallying points????

End Rant.........for now  ;)

So TSN is all over the story of McDavid registering 2 assists in the Oilers first scrimmage game. Too bad we don't have an emote that signifies throwing up  :wacko: .

I mean come on it's a damn scrimmage game, not the Stanley Cup Final. The season hasn't even started yet and already they're fawning over the kid. I'm so sick about hearing about how McDavid is going to be the savior of the Oilers and that he's the next great one. Maybe he will be, maybe he won't but can we please wait on the regular season to begin before we start tallying points????

End Rant.........for now  ;)

19 year old Sam Bennett is also putting up points in scrimmages. This is just insane! I wonder why there isn't a news story on that. Although it's insane that some media and fans are projecting this kid to win the scoring race. I was just happy when Ryan rishaug who is the beat reporter for the oilers said he expects McDavid to get closer to 60 points which I think is reasonable.

19 year old Sam Bennett is also putting up points in scrimmages. This is just insane! I wonder why there isn't a news story on that. Although it's insane that some media and fans are projecting this kid to win the scoring race. I was just happy when Ryan rishaug who is the beat reporter for the oilers said he expects McDavid to get closer to 60 points which I think is reasonable.

I find it amazing that most MSM suggest that McDavid will be playing 1st line with Hall and Eberle.  I really hope they don't do that and ruin another top prospect.  I don't buy into the whole generational BS, but do admit that he looks as good a prospect as Baertschi coming into the NHL pre-season. :)

The only TV coverage I care about is the pre-season games that the Flames play.  Amazing all the talk about McDavid and no coverage anywhere of  the Flames @ Oilers on Monday.  In that game, Bennett, Gio, Hamilton, Backlund and Frolik will likely be on the ice.  The Oilers will liely load up McDavid, Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Dyaisaitl, and Sekera.  Do they have enough players/prospects for the game in Calgary?

I find it amazing that most MSM suggest that McDavid will be playing 1st line with Hall and Eberle.  I really hope they don't do that and ruin another top prospect.  I don't buy into the whole generational BS, but do admit that he looks as good a prospect as Baertschi coming into the NHL pre-season. :)

For at least the pre-season, there is really no other combination that possibly makes sense.   I get that this would ruin most first round picks.  But McDavid really is different.  there's no getting around that.

McDavid will be given the first line for pre-season, and it will be his to lose before the regular season.

He's not going to lose it.   

This is very conflicting for me.  I've never wished bad things on the Oilers.  And I am a McDavid fan.  Can't not be.

But how the Oilers got McDavid (I would not hestitate to call it failing on purpose)....I don't think their organization deserves success.

Their fans do.  Maybe McDavid will become worthy of it.  But as an organization...no.  If it all falls apart (again), by rights they earned that.

Have to agree with you JJ. It sucks that the Oilers get rewarded for purposely failing but the new draft rules should stop this tanking for a first overall. It just doesn't sit right with me that they've been able to do this over the last few years.

I too am a McDavid fan, how could you not be as a fan of this great sport? My hope is that the Oilers keep floundering and he requests a trade down the road.

On Tinder, I asked an Oilers fan if she was excited about this season. Her response was, "we finally put together another dream team!"

Over the whole time they've sucked, they thought each 1st overall pick was worth it and didn't mind the tank. I don't know what to think. But it's disgusting. But a lot of good teams have to do it before they get good.

It sucks that the Oilers get rewarded for purposely failing but the new draft rules should stop this tanking for a first overall. It just doesn't sit right with me that they've been able to do this over the last few years.

Well, the irony of your statement is of course, that the lottery system worked to help prevent the Buffalo Sabres from getting the #1 overall by intentionally tanking, and rightfully so.  I felt the Oilers did not intentionally tank last season.  They really were just that bad.

Well, the irony of your statement is of course, that the lottery system worked to help prevent the Buffalo Sabres from getting the #1 overall by intentionally tanking, and rightfully so.  I felt the Oilers did not intentionally tank last season.  They really were just that bad.

The Oiler traded anyone that had a pulse.  They had basically an AHL lineup on defense most night to end the season.  The players didn't play to lose, but management set them up to lose.  Tanking is tanking.

The Oiler traded anyone that had a pulse.  They had basically an AHL lineup on defense most night to end the season.  The players didn't play to lose, but management set them up to lose.  Tanking is tanking.

Other then Petry, the Oilers finished the season with the same defence they started with and that defence including pretty large free agent signings in Schultz, Ference, Nikitin and Mark Fayne, who were all signed by the current management team.

I agree with Peeps, the Oilers were just that bad lat year and i honestly think their front office thought they had the pieces to at least push for a playoff spot. I dont' think you spend the money they had been to finish 2nd last in the league.

Other then Petry, the Oilers finished the season with the same defence they started with and that defence including pretty large free agent signings in Schultz, Ference, Nikitin and Mark Fayne, who were all signed by the current management team.

I agree with Peeps, the Oilers were just that bad lat year and i honestly think their front office thought they had the pieces to at least push for a playoff spot. I dont' think you spend the money they had been to finish 2nd last in the league.

Myself, I think that you had two teams who were intentionally tanking, possibly 3 if you count the Leafs.

Fact of the matter is the old system of drafting benefited those teams who decided to throw away their season. It was flawed and I think still is to a certain degree. However, whether you feel the Oilers seriously put an effort in or not is just a matter of opinion. They actually embraced the role of spoilers in that last few weeks of the season. I think if they had of played that way all year they would have definitely been higher up in the standings. Were they bad? Yes. The team had no jump and even when fans started throwing jerseys on the ice they still mailed in performances on most nights. In my opinion, that's a tank. You don't think deep down inside that McTavish and company weren't drooling over the fact they could get McSaviour. Management did nothing for that team, nor did the coaching staff, to try and show they were interested in winning. That team has been set up to fail ever since drafting Hall and I believe that was the plan all along. Katz strikes me as a shady, back-ally thug who just wants to get what he desires through any means necessary. If that means biting the bullet for a few years and denying fans a team who will compete then so be it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the marching orders came from him.

The Oilers played the following near the end of the season:

Brandon Davidson (March 27 - end)

Jordan Oesterle (Feb.21 - March 9)

Ryan Hamilton (Feb. 10 - March 18)

David Musil (Apr. 4 - end)

I wouldn't call that an NHL defense.  

Add in:

Andrew Miller (March 18 - Apr. 4)

Tyler Pitlick (Apr. 7 - end)

Curtis Hamilton (Apr.9)

Archived