s4xon

You have to go back to Ramo IMO. He hasn't dropped the reigns yet. Not fair to have him lose them because he was rested in a back to back.

From the highlights, Hiller seemed to be a bit off in his rebound control. The puck would hit him and drop right in front of him, and he didn't play it. He would cover it on the next shot, though. That style concerns me, even though he was stellar the rest of the game.

If and when we make the playoffs, you have to think that Ramo deserves to get the away games, and Hiller the home games. That is just based on their numbers, but we will likely see more running with the hot hand.

As far as the off-season, my preference would be to re-sign Ramo, and let the chips fall where they may.

Do it before the draft, so we have some chips if we need to use them. Even if we don't make a trade at that time, we have the rest of the summer and up till October to decide.

From the highlights, Hiller seemed to be a bit off in his rebound control. The puck would hit him and drop right in front of him, and he didn't play it. He would cover it on the next shot, though. That style concerns me, even though he was stellar the rest of the game.

If and when we make the playoffs, you have to think that Ramo deserves to get the away games, and Hiller the home games. That is just based on their numbers, but we will likely see more running with the hot hand.

As far as the off-season, my preference would be to re-sign Ramo, and let the chips fall where they may.

Do it before the draft, so we have some chips if we need to use them. Even if we don't make a trade at that time, we have the rest of the summer and up till October to decide.

You don't see too many trades for goaltenders at the start of the season. Around the draft now and then you will see the odd FA signing.

I don't think the Flames would have continued on winning without stellar play from both our goaltenders.

At this point I think we definitey re-sign Ramo for next year. Sorting out who pays will be an issue for management, but its a good position to have problems. 

Most of us agree that our D depth needs improvement, and having a goalie, and a couple expendable bottom D might be enough for us to pull an upgrade there in a trade.

Considering Ortio is signed at league minimum, it makes sense to have him in the NHL full time next season.  Plus, he's got higher upside than the other two.  When it comes to Hiller vs Ramo, it may just come down to dollars.  Hiller is at $4.5-mil.  If Ramo wants more than that, then let him walk.  If Ramo agrees to less than that, then sign him and trade Hiller.

You don't see too many trades for goaltenders at the start of the season. Around the draft now and then you will see the odd FA signing.

I don't think the Flames would have continued on winning without stellar play from both our goaltenders.

At the end of the season and playoffs, teams will look at the results from their goaltending and decide what needs to be done. Some will extend what they have (MAF), let other walk (Fasth), or try to get in ona any FA tenders available. I admit some backups are the ones that are usually traded (Bernier), but not all of those work out. My point is that every season is different. I prefer to go into the summer with 2 NHL goalies signed. Ortio is NHL potential and probably will steal a job; Ramo flashes brilliance; while Hiller is a solid NHL goalie.
  • Like 1

At the end of the season and playoffs, teams will look at the results from their goaltending and decide what needs to be done. Some will extend what they have (MAF), let other walk (Fasth), or try to get in ona any FA tenders available. I admit some backups are the ones that are usually traded (Bernier), but not all of those work out. My point is that every season is different. I prefer to go into the summer with 2 NHL goalies signed. Ortio is NHL potential and probably will steal a job; Ramo flashes brilliance; while Hiller is a solid NHL goalie.

If Ortio comes into camp like he did this year, he won't win. If I remember correctly, he had a bit of a slow start this season.

If Ortio comes into camp like he did this year, he won't win. If I remember correctly, he had a bit of a slow start this season.

Too true. Do we want to start the season with Ortio as a backup and not playing well? He improved with a lot of games, but how do you do that in the NHL?

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to start a new topic on Ramo, but then, decided to just ask here. 

How much is Ramo worth? 

In the intermission, John Shannon seemed to think that Ramo could ask for more money than the Flames are willing to pay. I am wondering. 

Could he ask for a lot of money? I just wonder what his bargaining chips could be. He's mildly inconsistent but definitely a decent NHL goalie. I prefer to keep him, but Treliving just hasn't shown his hand. 

How much is Ramo worth? 

In the intermission, John Shannon seemed to think that Ramo could ask for more money than the Flames are willing to pay. I am wondering. 

Could he ask for a lot of money? I just wonder what his bargaining chips could be. He's mildly inconsistent but definitely a decent NHL goalie. I prefer to keep him, but Treliving just hasn't shown his hand.

What does Shannon know...Ramo is keeping us in games this year, but he has been doing that for most of the season. Ramo isn't about to ask for too much, knowing he could be a UFA in a bad market. He will not get big dollars as a UFA. He could stand to get a contract with the Flames. It all depends on how long he continues to play good hockey. He may not give up the net to Hiller.

I think it depends how the rest of the season goes. GMs are as fickle as fans some times. If we make the playoffs and he is a rock star he will get a contract. If he and / or the team faulted down the stretch he might have trouble finding a decent back up contract.

How much is Ramo worth? 

The usual haters wont like this but I would say the hand has already been shown.

We are in clutch time, every point is critical..fighting for our playoff lives..

Whos getting the starts? 11 of the last 14?

Love it or hate it, Ramo is our #1 goalie. Hes obviously who Hartley trusts the most, who the team wins for.

This is not to knock Hiller, he has been great to amazing the majority of the time, but right now hes Ramo's backup.

This is not the time to test, showcase, or experiment, the job and a starters contract is now his to lose.

We complete this run and make the playoffs? Ill predict it in print right now.. 5 mill per year for 4 years..maybe 5

The usual haters wont like this but I would say the hand has already been shown.

We are in clutch time, every point is critical..fighting for our playoff lives..

Whos getting the starts? 11 of the last 14?

Love it or hate it, Ramo is our #1 goalie. Hes obviously who Hartley trusts the most, who the team wins for.

This is not to knock Hiller, he has been great to amazing the majority of the time, but right now hes Ramo's backup.

This is not the time to test, showcase, or experiment, the job and a starters contract is now his to lose.

We complete this run and make the playoffs? Ill predict it in print right now.. 5 mill per year for 4 years..maybe 5

Your right. But it wasn't that long ago that Hiller was the go to guy on a clutch. One bad game combined with a good game by Hiller and the argument changes once again.

That said, I want Ramo to keep it up. I think he has a higher ceiling. I think he has long term value. And he would have to fail to fall, and the Flames can't handle that right now!

Our defense needs a good talking to, if not for Ramo last night we would have got slaughtered.

I thought we won in spite of Ramo last night. The two goals that he let in fall squarely on his shoulders. He was way out of position on the Tanguay goal, which should have been an easy save. He wasn't square to the shooter on the Landeskog goal which also should have been an easy save.

I think Ramo has the ability to be a top goalie in this league but he has to quiet his game down. He moves too much in the net for my liking.

IMO both of those goals were results of scrambles where the flames got caught standing and the Avs were moving the puck at will so I can't really blame Ramo. He got a bit too scrambly but I also thought he was under seige and got no help from red sweaters just standing and watching

Ramo made a good 4 or 5 excellent saves that kept it a game. Avs could have easily had 4 or 5 goals last night IMO. Not a strong defensive game from the flames.

• Like 1

If we are signing Ramo lock him up for 3 years this round. I think it should be done but who knows what will happen. 

The worst thing we can do is assume that Ortio is ready to take on the role of the backup, and that Hiller has more left in the tank for next year. We need to follow up a strong year with improvement next year. Ramo is key to giving us room to improve, as he is getting better the more games he plays. Minimum 2 year extension, to give us time to ensure Ortio is ready, and to bring in Gillies after a few years.

• Like 1

IMO both of those goals were results of scrambles where the flames got caught standing and the Avs were moving the puck at will so I can't really blame Ramo. He got a bit too scrambly but I also thought he was under seige and got no help from red sweaters just standing and watching

Ramo made a good 4 or 5 excellent saves that kept it a game. Avs could have easily had 4 or 5 goals last night IMO. Not a strong defensive game from the flames.

Agree its not on Ramo.  CA were pressing, very quick and in the scramble the puck pops out to Tanguay right out front.  The Flames didn't tie up their men but then again that's pretty much illegal now so I'm not faulting them too much.  We could say the same against the Avs i.e. Flame's scrambles in from of their net.  

I would say there were times when we had big problems with their speed, but overall played pretty solid.  They were winning battles all over the ice and competing hard for the puck.  It was a great playoff-style game against two attacking, offensive-minded teams.  I'll take the two points and move on.  GFG!