s4xon

42 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Hopefully Marky spent IR time reviewing his past few games. He stayed in his net last game. Regardless of the play-the-puck result, it looks to me like it affects his crease play in that he's moving too much when he's going out of his crease too often.

Looked great last game. Forget the puck play, that's the job of the 5 skaters.

Hoping this is a trend that he saw and is fixing. Any risk below 80-20 is too high, just stop whatever play/breakaway results from not playing a 60-40 chance.

I've always championed that he's a great goalie, but just stay in your crease where the puck's always in front of you.

I agree. He looks strong when he keeps to his mechanics. (I think) Playing the puck takes too much mental capacity and other parts of a goalies game gets dismissed by the goalies mental state of playing the puck. Like having to rush back into the net to try save a giveaway and while they might, maybe they've become frantic and the mindset changes to overstimulation. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

the mindset changes to overstimulation

That's pretty much how I see it. Beyond a puck that was played maybe a few minutes ago, he looks like he's moving too fast, over-compensating passes to the point of losing where he is a bit. Just kind of throws a hiccup into his focus of just staying square and angling correctly. He has great athleticism, but forces himself to need it too often when he's hyper/over-stimulated.

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That's pretty much how I see it. Beyond a puck that was played maybe a few minutes ago, he looks like he's moving too fast, over-compensating passes to the point of losing where he is a bit. Just kind of throws a hiccup into his focus of just staying square and angling correctly. He has great athleticism, but forces himself to need it too often when he's hyper/over-stimulated.

I think it's why a lot were so impressed with Ottinger in that playoff series. While the Flames didn't make him move much, his mechanics were spot on, and I think Markstrom needed to match him so he did. The difference since then was the movement in his crease since. He's gotten back the that Dallas series a bit more this year. 

• 4 weeks later...

Of the great First Round Pick debate:

It appears Askarov is NHL ready now, and, actually, pretty good.   At 21, if he can succeed at the NHL level now he's most likely only going to get better.

Wallstedt is not far behind.

For a while, it looked like both could fail.  Today, it looks like both might succeed.   If they look promising at 21, considering how much further they can go before they hit their primes, I would guess that neither team would ever considering going back on their decisions at this point.  If anything, Wallstedt would be drafted higher.

Cossa is another matter, but he has settled out this year and is is nowhere near being written off.  He's really recovered a lot and if he shows another year at that rate of improvement he'll be right with the other two.

Basically, in terms of success drafting goalies in the first round, 2/3 ain't bad.  And 3/3 is still in the cards.

How is all this relevant now?  Huh. It's kinda not, there's no 1st rounders this year.

But, Christian Kirsch is very attainable

Your man-crushes are showing. lol

A lot of teams have really solid G prospects. Even we have one!

Walstedt had a rough ride in his 1st NHL game. All of them will have ups and downs for a few more years. The only thing that matters at 21 is that they haven't hit their ceiling yet. Detroit took Cossa over Walstedt due to feeling Cossa had more dev to work with. That's it, that's all. They scout the crap out of Sweden so they didn't have an uninformed opinion, they just felt Cossa's celing is higher. Drafting potential doesn't always work out.

There are a lot of great young goalies in the A beyond those 2 to 4. There are still plenty of hurdles for all of them.

A few will get there, many won't. Absolutely none of them are currently sure-fire, or they'd already be tearing through the NHL.

Not being negative, Askarov and Walstedt could be scrapping it out for Vezina's in a few years, but that isn't the current situation.

On 1/14/2024 at 8:54 AM, conundrumed said:

A lot of teams have really solid G prospects. Even we have one!

I guess it depends on how you define that.   If you're saying a solid prospect is a goalie which shows flashes of vezina, then, most teams don't.  And never will, by definition.

Most teams have really solid Winger prospects, cause most teams have a lot of em and some of them are good.

Does that mean most teams have garbage G prospects?  no.  Most teams have promise there.  I get what you mean.   

Most teams do not have an Askarov or a Wallstedt caliber goalie.    Do we?   I agree it's debatable.  I would personally say no, but it IS close enough to be debatable.

they are worth having.  all I'm saying.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't know where else to put this ...but I find this funny...and not so much here but all over social media ..

I get we all want wolf to progress.. but too many think the future is now ..

Vladar had had numerous great games for us.. but he has one dud and people want him moved for a bag of pucks or given the old yeller treatment .. and he still doesnt have a ton of NHL experience...

Wolf has yet to have a wow game at this level (and to be clear I believe he will at some point ) but people hand him every excuse in the world .. but he's just not ready for the future to be now 

Looking more and more like Markstrom is eventually going to get moved , I'd be perfectly ok and even recommend we give the net to Vladar, have Wolf as a backup and give enough room to grow into and take the job.. 

To me , regardless of where we are at, at some point wolf needs to "steal" a game before I start to think he's fully ready for this level 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Didn't know where else to put this ...but I find this funny...and not so much here but all over social media ..

Vladar had had numerous great games for us.. but he has one dud and people want him moved for a bag of pucks or given the old yeller treatment .. and he still doesnt have a ton of NHL experience...

Wolf has yet to have a wow game at this level (and to be clear I believe he will at some point ) but people hand him every excuse in the world .. but he's just not ready for the future to be now 

Looking more and more like Markstrom is eventually going to get moved , I'd be perfectly ok and even recommend we give the net to Vladar, have Wolf as a backup and give enough room to grow into and take the job.. 

To me , regardless of where we are at, at some point wolf needs to "steal" a game before I start to think he's fully ready for this level 

This year, according to Moneypuck, Vlader is the 12th worth goalie in the league in goals saved above expected. 

Last year, again according to Moneypuck, Vladar was the 13th worth goalie in the league in goals saved above expected. 

this is not a "one bad game" situation this is Vladar has not been anything more but a below avg backup in 2 seasons now.  sure you can make the argument that he is inexperienced and could grow but then that same logic applies to Wolf too. 

I totally agree the hype on Wolf is unfair and no one should be labelled the future until they prove it at the NHL level. If/When Marktstrom is traded I think the decision to me is pretty clear. You have 2 goalies, 1 you know who is he an one you don't. i'm playing the one I don't and seeing what he does. doesn't mean you hand him the future, you just had him NHL games, pretty big difference there IMO. 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I've found that the majority of the fanbase has only started to sour on Vladar.  I have people who sit by me who still make him sound like the second coming of Hasek.  Another thing is I think a fanbase will always show more patience to their homegrown players than players acquired outside, example Andersson, Kylington and Hanifin are all the same age, and 3 years ago 2 were seen as having unlimited upside while one was what he was.  With Wolf we have seen his stellar junior years and his AHL MVP's, Vladar probably wasn't on most radars and never really had starters workload in the AHL.  But more importantly is we are comparing 70 NHL games vs. 7, and yes I have still heard plenty of comments stating Wolf wasn't an NHL goalie since last night.

Wolf was not great last night, but to be fair that was one of the worst games defensively that I have seen Calgary play in a long time.

There is no doubt that Wolf has elite athleticism, but he looks tiny in net, and a lot of times he does things to make himself look smaller somehow. He still needs to figure out ways to look bigger without losing any of that agility. Saros is small goalie but he seems huge compared to Wolf.

I'm not ready to hand Wolf the reins to an NHL spot (starter or backup) just yet. I would be wishful thinking at this time to think the Flames have a capable Goalie tandem without Markstrom

I'm not ready to see a Markstrom trade at this time because that would leave the team without a #1 goaltender.

Vladar has not shown he is a fulltime #1 goaltender and Wolf has not stepped up to claim an NHL spot yet either.

Then again if your true objective is to get a high pick and you need an excuse for the teams poor performance, then trade your #1 goalie and get what you can for him and let the chips fall... as well likely fail in developing another goalie prospect.

I think at the end of the day what do you want Wolf to do? He's a back to back winner of the top goalie in the AHL so keep him doing there is going to make him develop more?

I think Wolf needs NHL shooters, NHL game, NHL travel etc to see if he has it or not. I don't agree with this notion that the NHL is not a developmental league and you need to come to the NHL fully ready to go That's not feasible and I think it's time that the Flames figure out what wolf can do. If he can't do it, he can't do it but I don't see why keeping him in the AHL for another season or two is going to change that result. 

Sounds like a Markstrom trade is more a question of when and not if and I think the time is right. both in terms of the assets the Flames can get and giving Wolf a real shot. 

• Like 1

I've seen a few with the Wranglers where he is just off.  Find me a goalie who doesn't have a handful of 5 or 6 goal against games.  Won't be the last time he gets lit up, whether he has more good games than bad ones needs to be determined by volume 6 isn't enough.  If we can't live with the ups and downs of a goalie prospect we should just stop drafting them in general because its going to happen.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think at the end of the day what do you want Wolf to do? He's a back to back winner of the top goalie in the AHL so keep him doing there is going to make him develop more?

I think Wolf needs NHL shooters, NHL game, NHL travel etc to see if he has it or not. I don't agree with this notion that the NHL is not a developmental league and you need to come to the NHL fully ready to go That's not feasible and I think it's time that the Flames figure out what wolf can do. If he can't do it, he can't do it but I don't see why keeping him in the AHL for another season or two is going to change that result. 

Sounds like a Markstrom trade is more a question of when and not if and I think the time is right. both in terms of the assets the Flames can get and giving Wolf a real shot. 

💯 Agree .. he needs to be up and playing on a semi regular basis as a backup to start.. absolutely..

My original point was that most seem to have all the patience in the world and a 10 mile leash on a bad start.. in 7 games he's yet to have a great one...

But Vladar, who I'll say again I'm not calling the 2nd coming of kipper .. has no leash at all..he had had games where he has stood on his head and been spectacular.. but unless he does it every game he's the Antichrist.. he also needs regularity.. 

I've been a proponent for trading Marky. Not because Wolf is ready, not because I think Vladar is the next Kipper. It simply makes sense for a re-tool. Consider the following:

- We owe a first-rounder to MTL for the Monahan trade... 

- We shipped out Lindy and Zadorov already...

- Tanev is surely gone...

- Hanifin appears likely to be moved

- From what I understand, the upcoming draft is a helluva lot better than next year's. 

Why would we keep Marky around, given the above and Conroy's 'plan for the team'? To sabotage any opportunity to get a high 1st round pick this year (which I believe would be protected from MTL, if I understand correctly). And don't say 'to mentor Wolf'. NHL experience is worth more in my eyes than any "mentoring". If anything, the sooner Wolf can get acclimated to the NHL level, the better. Get the growing pains started now with Wolf, otherwise prolong his development.   

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

💯 Agree .. he needs to be up and playing on a semi regular basis as a backup to start.. absolutely..

My original point was that most seem to have all the patience in the world and a 10 mile leash on a bad start.. in 7 games he's yet to have a great one...

But Vladar, who I'll say again I'm not calling the 2nd coming of kipper .. has no leash at all..he had had games where he has stood on his head and been spectacular.. but unless he does it every game he's the Antichrist.. he also needs regularity.. 

I don't see them as the same. Vladar has had 2 years so where is the no leash? there was opportunity for him last year with a struggling Markstrom and he did nothing to seize it. This isn't a one bad game and we are writing him off scenario for me. I have not seeing anything in the last 3 years that tells me this guy is capable of being a starter. 

I'm not even advocating dumping Vladar to the curb and i'm not anointing Wolf as the future, that title needs to be earned.  as we stand today he is a great prospect who needs a chance to show he can be an NHLer.

I also think when you have the accolades Wolf does you earn a longer leash. Now i completely agree the expectations are unfair, and I'm not holding Wolf to them, but it comes with the territory. People are excited about Wolf and I don't blame them

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LouCifer said:

I've been a proponent for trading Marky. Not because Wolf is ready, not because I think Vladar is the next Kipper. It simply makes sense for a re-tool. Consider the following:

- We owe a first-rounder to MTL for the Monahan trade... 

- We shipped  out Lindy and Zadorov already...

- Tanev is surely gone...

- Hanifin appears likely to be moved

- From what I understand, the upcoming draft is a helluva lot better than next year's. 

Why would we keep Marky around, given the above and Conroy's 'plan for the team'? To sabotage any opportunity to get a high 1st round pick this year (which I believe would be protected from MTL, if I understand correctly). And don't say 'to mentor Wolf'. NHL experience is worth more in my eyes than any "mentoring". If anything, the sooner Wolf can get acclimated to the NHL level, the better. Get the growing pains started now with Wolf, otherwise prolong his development.   

I agree. It makes sense to move Markstrom.

His value will never be higher. He is trending towards Vezina finalist for the second time in three years. And at 33yrs old, he's not likely to be playing at this level when the team is relevant again.

I also agree, it's time to see what Wolf can do.

• Like 1

I don't think trading Markstrom is even the end of the world if Wolf's game isn't quite NHL yet.  

We barely had game last night against the 2nd last team in the league on a B2B with travel.

Wolf was shakey after a couple bad giveaway goals.

We did nothing to score to turn the tide.

Whether Vladar is any good or not, same issues.

And as good as Markstrom has been, he only wins with 3 or less GA.

We score so little that we need goalies to be perfect.

I would wrather not be perfect and look for the eventual replacement for Marky.

Now, but internal replacement, now by a okay goalie coming back that we can work with.

In the future by building the team from the D out, and perhaps making a trade for a younger guy?

Having Markstrom at the top of his game now, and the team re-tooling, makes no sense.

BY the time this team is relevant again, he would be retiring.

And maybe we haven't even given Wolf enough starts to be ready then.

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think trading Markstrom is even the end of the world if Wolf's game isn't quite NHL yet.  

We barely had game last night against the 2nd last team in the league on a B2B with travel.

Wolf was shakey after a couple bad giveaway goals.

We did nothing to score to turn the tide.

Whether Vladar is any good or not, same issues.

And as good as Markstrom has been, he only wins with 3 or less GA.

We score so little that we need goalies to be perfect.

I would wrather not be perfect and look for the eventual replacement for Marky.

Now, but internal replacement, now by a okay goalie coming back that we can work with.

In the future by building the team from the D out, and perhaps making a trade for a younger guy?

Having Markstrom at the top of his game now, and the team re-tooling, makes no sense.

BY the time this team is relevant again, he would be retiring.

And maybe we haven't even given Wolf enough starts to be ready then.

99%

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

99%

Are we up or down?

The three best goalies IMHO are Helly, Shesty, and Vasy.

Not this year, just in general.

Each one of them 30/31, 28 and 29/30.

Only Shesty has a short career in NA so far.

The rest are already 9+ years in.

Helly is signed for another 7 years.

My point is we don't need one of them, we need the next thing.

We have a couple guys that could make the jump at the same time we get good.

Or we sell a F for a good up and comer.

Just saying that the sequence isn't always build from the net out.

The tendency is to get a solid guy that can give you 3 years.

That's building from the net out, but not a great idea.

Having a stable of goalies that might not be ready while you plan the D may not work either.

Mind the G, build the D, find the F.