s4xon

24 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He isn't good enough to play in the NHL, and he's average at the AHL. Pass.

He has has 7 NHL starts and has allowed 4 or more in every one of them except one.

He isn't better than any of the goalies in our system.

Ok because he's performing considerably better than Gillies in the AHL while being 2 years younger...so... how do you logic that piece?   

Zagidulin is just a more exaggerated example of all those issues.

With regards to the 7 NHL starts, 7 games in any league means pretty much nothing.   As we all know.

His 3 games with Detroit are almost meaningless if you look at their current situation.  A lot of great goalies with similar or worse numbers there right now.

He has barely played at all this year due to ...trades?  I am not sure.

I'm not entirely for it, I'm not sure.   But he's shown more than Gillies or Zagadulin have, imho.

28 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Ok because he's performing considerably better than Gillies in the AHL while being 2 years younger...so... how do you logic that piece?   

With regards to the 7 NHL starts, 7 games in any league means pretty much nothing.   As we all know.

His 3 games with Detroit are almost meaningless if you look at their current situation.  A lot of great goalies with similar or worse numbers there right now.

I'm not entirely for it, I'm not sure.   But he's shown more than Gillies or Zagadulin have, imho.

All the times I've Comrie play (even with the Moose) he never seems to get settled in.  He can have a great game but never looks confident. Much like others say Gillies looks that way early in a game, Comrie never seems to shake it off.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Comrie is only a year younger than Gillies.

Comrie has a .910 save % in his AHL and Gillies has a .905, I'll give you that it's a bit better but to say he is doing considerably better is a stretch.

Zagidulin is younger than Comrie and is 2nd in the AHL in wins this season, and he has only lost in regulation once in 18 games.

Either way if we claim Comrie he has to stay in the NHL, and he certainly isn't better than Rittich or Talbot. This is a pointless discussion.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Comrie is only a year younger than Gillies.

Comrie has a .910 save % in his AHL and Gillies has a .905, I'll give you that it's a bit better but to say he is doing considerably better is a stretch.

Zagidulin is younger than Comrie and is 2nd in the AHL in wins this season, and he has only lost in regulation once in 18 games.

Either way if we claim Comrie he has to stay in the NHL, and he certainly isn't better than Rittich or Talbot. This is a pointless discussion.

Actually...I concede...probably not worth it.

a small part of me wants to debate elements of it but it's just not a very good fit atm.  A small part of me wants to debate the comparisons to Talbot, Zagidulin, Gillies.   But the fact that it has to be debated means it's not enough of a difference to matter either way.   We're unfortunately full up of projects right now.

50 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Actually...I concede...probably not worth it.

a small part of me wants to debate elements of it but it's just not a very good fit atm.  A small part of me wants to debate the comparisons to Talbot, Zagidulin, Gillies.   But the fact that it has to be debated means it's not enough of a difference to matter either way.   We're unfortunately full up of projects right now.

You want to talk about trading for DeSmith and ditching Gillies?

I would be okay with that.

He's old by your standards, but would be a good emergency call up.

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

BT has been scouting the younger goalies this past week.

Here's the latest one he looked at, compliments to JJ for his suggestions:

Image result for baby goalie

He's undrafted, unbeaten after he has an afternoon nap.

Hates to lose.

I heard you were lobbying to bring in Terry Sawchuk as a rental.

He's flawless these days.

59 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I heard you were lobbying to bring in Terry Sawchuk as a rental.

He's flawless these days.

Sawchuk was one of hockey's true heroes...   and a legend...

He passed away back in 1970...

7c2e583ad5e10f1efcd0e3179d66dbf8.png

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Not sure why WPG claimed Comrie.

3 headed monster.

Brossoit is a pending UFA, while Comrie is signed next year.

Not like he is playing like crap, but he's been inconsistent.

Not Comrie bad, but not Helly good.

Yeah can't think of any other team that has too many unproven goalies signed ;)

They know him better than anyone and quite frankly they have  a far better goaltender development system than us.

They probably did it because they can.   They haven't put themselves in a position where they can't take advantage of opportunities (like we have)

1 hour ago, Carty said:

Sawchuk was one of hockey's true heroes...   and a legend...

He passed away back in 1970...

7c2e583ad5e10f1efcd0e3179d66dbf8.png

Look.

Don't speak ill of the dead, I get it.

But incase you didn't notice I was trying to steer us away from posting pictures of children in here.

8 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Look.

Don't speak ill of the dead, I get it.

But incase you didn't notice I was trying to steer us away from posting pictures of children in here.

So you tried to accomplish a 'good deed' by making a dead hockey legend a part of your joke...   Yeah...   ok...    sure...

27 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

They know him better than anyone and quite frankly they have  a far better goaltender development system than us.

They probably did it because they can.   They haven't put themselves in a position where they can't take advantage of opportunities (like we have)

Well, the point for us was that we would need to waive/demote sombody to have an unproven goalie in our "system".

I guess they can give one goalie the day off in practice to keep developing him.

Or they plan on waiving Brossoit.

Their current AHL goalie is widely outplaying Comrie, so I guess it's a win for WPG?

No need to worry about which goalie to use; ya got 3 to choose from.

By the way, he was claimed by ARI, didn't play in the NHL, sent to the AHL, traded to DET, played like crap, waived and re-claaimed by WPG.

Props to the kid for having the mental fortitude to stick it out.

Yup, they are superior at taking advantage of lesser opportunities.

Cup faves now for sure.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Well, the point for us was that we would need to waive/demote sombody to have an unproven goalie in our "system".

I guess they can give one goalie the day off in practice to keep developing him.

Or they plan on waiving Brossoit.

Their current AHL goalie is widely outplaying Comrie, so I guess it's a win for WPG?

No need to worry about which goalie to use; ya got 3 to choose from.

By the way, he was claimed by ARI, didn't play in the NHL, sent to the AHL, traded to DET, played like crap, waived and re-claaimed by WPG.

Props to the kid for having the mental fortitude to stick it out.

Yup, they are superior at taking advantage of lesser opportunities.

Cup faves now for sure.

I won't discount your criticisms entirely because they are very much the same criticisms I have of our organization except that we are an extreme example of them.

In the end it works out because you get such poor performance out of everyone that before you know it you feel like you still don't have enough lol.

Anyway there is a simple answer to all of this that can't be ignored:

Winnipeg knew more about his value.  They just did.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Not sure why WPG claimed Comrie.

3 headed monster.

Brossoit is a pending UFA, while Comrie is signed next year.

Not like he is playing like crap, but he's been inconsistent.

Not Comrie bad, but not Helly good.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

The Jets have a possible stud goalie with the Moose right now but so far he has played 27 of 31 games this season. I think this is more relief duties in the A more than anything.  Oddly TSN was saying he wont need to clear waivers because of being with the organization already this season, or something to that effect, not really sure what the deal is there.

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Winnipeg knew more about his value.  They just did.

For one team his value was low enough that it was worth risking losing him for nothing on waivers...   For the other 30 teams, his value is being a goalie that is widely considered as having mediocre talent, who could be picked up from waivers for just the cost of paying his league minimum salary...

5 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Like a boss. 

terry_sawchuk_face_of_goalie_1966.jpg

Love. 

I played a bit of net back in the mid 80' with the Hasek and Vernon style cages, even then you knew some shots were going to rattle you when they hit your head. I cant even begin to think of how that would have been in the pre-mask days.  Toughest (craziest) pro athletes to play any game.

4 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

According to the pic it didnt help Jacques much.

Plante had his share of stitches on his face as well. and he was the first goalie to ever wear a mask back in '59 ...    But the pic is Sawchuk...

On 12/13/2019 at 6:33 PM, conundrumed said:

Okay. jj.

Getting a goalie in the system does not legitimize the goalie. He has to put in the work. You can only tell him what to do. If he can't do it? Well, there's only 62 spots in the NHL.

Maybe, just maybe, he's not good enough. It doesn't mean the org ruined him. It means goalies are hard to find. Especially goalies that understand how hard it really is.

So I only have one question.

How many decades of the Flames inability to scout, draft and develope an NHL caliber goaltender will it take before you change from blaming the prospects?

• Like 1