s4xon

26 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Quit while you're behind. Read the article. You are so off base here that it's laughable. He's manic depressive. His mom stopped short of the airport and said, "nope, you're not going to camp. Call your people, I don't care". So he did, and came clean.

In his own words, "No one in the org was mad, they got me the help that I needed".

So again jj, quit while you're behind.

The mental issues came before the ECHL, and before Zagidulin.   As per my posts.

Flames responded by signing Zagidulin and demoting him to ECHL.   They could have said "imagine how good this guy could be if he's supported and treated for it".    But instead they planned for the opposite.

Those are just the facts and no article can explain them away.   Actions versus words.

27 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

The mental issues came before the ECHL, and before Zagidulin.   As per my posts.

Flames responded by signing Zagidulin and demoting him to ECHL.   They could have said "imagine how good this guy could be if he's supported and treated for it".    But instead they planned for the opposite.

Those are just the facts and no article can explain them away.   Actions versus words.

Wow. You really don't grasp goaltending, do you?

I think we should all go back to the post Cross made earlier today where it was pointed out that Parsons is just coming back from a 2 month groin injury and they are getting him some starts in the ECHL to get his game back in order and to make sure his groin is good to go.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

I think we should all go back to the post Cross made earlier today where it was pointed out that Parsons is just coming back from a 2 month groin injury and they are getting him some starts in the ECHL to get his game back in order and to make sure his groin is good to go.

I agree, but it's fun playing with jj. 😀

• Like 1

Don’t we need more than two goalies in the minor leagues? 

the thing is, we need guys developing and playing. I think like JJ that sometimes you need to run with a guy. But then what if you run with the wrong guy? You can’t do it that way. You need to have 4 hands in on the poker table. 

you can have a star in the making go down in injury and lose it all. You need more, but quality more, not just anyone. 

should be asking About or looking for mechanics. What is their demeanour? How do they react in various situations? 

ok they can have great numbers, but what is the team like in front of them? 

I go back to watching Kipper in San Jose and the year before he came to us he had a 3.14 gga. In a game I saw I thought he was the goalie I wanted. Then his numbers were up and down but I go back to how the team played in front of him. 

numbers are as good as the team in front of you. Sometimes they’re decent despite that. 

we need goalies in the system, guys with promise. 

Gillies has been around as long as Rittich, yet he never seems to be able to take that next step.

Decent one game in the AHL, bad the next.

That's with the same team in front.

Has NHL size but not senses.

Parsons has had injury trouble and hasn;t been able yet to show his battle game.

That's why he trying to get it back in the ECHL.

He gets the most starts to see if he is the one.

Schneider is a fall back plan.

Maybe he should be in the AHL over Gillies, but he isn;t lighting up the ECHL.

We can debate who is better, but really we haven;t seen anyone other than Zag be consistent enough at the AHL level.

If you aren't lighting up the ECHL level, why would you be better in the AHL?

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Gillies has been around as long as Rittich, yet he never seems to be able to take that next step.

Decent one game in the AHL, bad the next.

That's with the same team in front.

Has NHL size but not senses.

Parsons has had injury trouble and hasn;t been able yet to show his battle game.

That's why he trying to get it back in the ECHL.

He gets the most starts to see if he is the one.

Schneider is a fall back plan.

Maybe he should be in the AHL over Gillies, but he isn;t lighting up the ECHL.

We can debate who is better, but really we haven;t seen anyone other than Zag be consistent enough at the AHL level.

If you aren't lighting up the ECHL level, why would you be better in the AHL?

I agree! 

plus

ive heard from a goalie, not sure who, on a radio broadcast over the years say that it is easier to play in the AHL than the ECHL. The play is smoother, and better players. I guess the choppy aspect as you go down levels makes it harder. 

I think it could be good to learn tracking. I don’t really remember fully why that is that it is easier in the A, but I can get why. The lower the level of players and skill the harder it is to play the game. The rhythm isn’t as great either.  

for me, it is also the team in front of you. How do they play D, do they let you see the shot, are there a lot of bad turnovers? 

I wonder, are our goalies in the NHL giving us league average goaltending? Or are the numbers a product of team play? I think if you look at the numbers alone some would say our goalies are average or below, yet they’ve been giving us a chance to win. Last night, for me, was one of the games the Flames won despite the goaltending. It might be the only game all year, yet the numbers and JJ would say the goaltending has been ok or bad.

even Talbot has given the flames a chance to win in most of his starts but has horrid numbers.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I wonder, are our goalies in the NHL giving us league average goaltending? Or are the numbers a product of team play? I think if you look at the numbers alone some would say our goalies are average or below, yet they’ve been giving us a chance to win. Last night, for me, was one of the games the Flames won despite the goaltending. It might be the only game all year, yet the numbers and JJ would say the goaltending has been ok or bad.

even Talbot has given the flames a chance to win in most of his starts but has horrid numbers.

When your team is making mental mistakes, it down't show up in the numbers.

Smith was terrible in games last year, where the team in front may not have been at their best.

I don't think that was on the team as much as Smith.

Talbot has looked good for the majority of games he's played but let in a stinker or two.

He hasn't had a good team in front of him at times.

A lot of times it's B2B games.

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree! 

plus

ive heard from a goalie, not sure who, on a radio broadcast over the years say that it is easier to play in the AHL than the ECHL. The play is smoother, and better players. I guess the choppy aspect as you go down levels makes it harder. 

I think it could be good to learn tracking. I don’t really remember fully why that is that it is easier in the A, but I can get why. The lower the level of players and skill the harder it is to play the game. The rhythm isn’t as great either.  

for me, it is also the team in front of you. How do they play D, do they let you see the shot, are there a lot of bad turnovers? 

That's why the eye test always wins.

When I watch Talbot I'd say he's more scrambly than Rittich because his rebound control isn't as good. But he's faster in recovery than Rittich because that's his game.

Rittich always keeps it quiet purely on mechanics. Remember Smith letting in endless wristers from the point last year? Rittich tracks the puck really well and is fast side to side, quite simply a technical goalie.

The last 2 on Rittich last night were deflating. But MacKinnon or Donskoi make perfect shots. There's not much room there. Not sure how Rittich plays those differently.

Then Giordano gets schooled by Nicushkin. Rittich's sliding to his left on the initial save, Nicushkin takes the rebound right.

Everything is relative, and numbers lie. lol

Dubnyk - EDM

Dubnyk - Minny

Prime example.

Open question for all:

Which goalie would you compare Rittich to?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The last 2 on Rittich last night were deflating. But MacKinnon or Donskoi make perfect shots. There's not much room there. Not sure how Rittich plays those differently.

Just about perfect shots, but he makes those rioutinely.

Perhaps he was cheating to the pass a bit too much.

Recovery after the pass meant he was giving up too much room on far side.

But, I thought he was otherwise flawless.

He tracks well on screened shots.

18 hours ago, conundrumed said:

When Georgiev plays 4 more games for the NYR, he'll be waiver eligible.

We should target him with some of our extra forwards. Get on it fast, we can start him  in the A as a good insurance policy..

I would have loved to trade for him in the summer. Thing is, seems that NYR is high on him, although they will likely lose him to Seattle via expansion

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would have loved to trade for him in the summer. Thing is, seems that NYR is high on him, although they will likely lose him to Seattle via expansion

King Henrik will retire by then  (June 2021), as of now Giorgiev is the heir to the throne. I dont know alot about the Rags system but so for theres no reason to think he's not next in line.

Igor Shestroykin has been tabbed as the "next one" by the Rangers the last few years. Currently the best goalie in the AHL in his first full season there, and at 23, since coming over from Russia. 4th rounder from 2014 who has been one of, if the thee, top goalie at multiple levels the last 4/5 seasons. 

Given the theme of this thread, I find it interesting that there is an excitement about a goalie who holds a sub .900 save % at the AHL level.