s4xon

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

He made a couple of great saves tonight that were reminiscent of last season. I bet he starts against the Wings Friday, so will be a good chance if he can string another nice game to every 

This season (and some of last) Smith has looked bad following a great game.  So, I would actually go back to Rittich (assuming he didn't get injured from the previous game when he got ran into).

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This season (and some of last) Smith has looked bad following a great game.  So, I would actually go back to Rittich (assuming he didn't get injured from the previous game when he got ran into).

Start Rittich against the Sabres, Smith against the Wings on the front half of the back to back and then Rittich for the Oilers would be what I think they do 

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Start Rittich against the Sabres, Smith against the Wings on the front half of the back to back and then Rittich for the Oilers would be what I think they do 

Agree.

I know the coaching staff probably wants to get Smith some starts to maintain his confidence, but the Sabres may be the wrong choice.

He played very well in the game to give the Flames the chance to dominate in scoring.  

It's not like he has gone on a run, though.  He won a game where the Flames dominated in scoring.

You have to ease him back into playing 2 in a row.  And the reason for doing that is to give Rittich some rest.  

On 1/14/2019 at 6:51 AM, Thebrewcrew said:

From reports at the morning skate, it looks indeed like Rittich will start against the Sabres.

Makes sense, since he started against them earlier this season.

That was after the PITTS debacle.

A bit of a concern starting Smith against the Wings.

Shakey goaltending against them in the last win.

But, Rittich needs to be the starter in the BOA.

No a shot at Smith.  He was fine to great against the Yotes.

He looked dialed in.

I just can't say whether it was a dominant win by him in a game where we controled the play for most of it.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

From reports at the morning skate, it looks indeed like Rittich will start against the Sabres.

Makes sense, since he started against them earlier this season.

That was after the PITTS debacle.

A bit of a concern starting Smith against the Wings.

Shakey goaltending against them in the last win.

But, Rittich needs to be the starter in the BOA.

No a shot at Smith.  He was fine to great against the Yotes.

He looked dialed in.

I just can't say whether it was a dominant win by him in a game where we controled the play for most of it.

Makes sense regardless. If Rittich is good to go, he's our starter.

It's more important we clean up our game and stop pushing for offence at all costs, and stop the blind passing already.

And play 60 minute games once and for all.

36 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Makes sense regardless. If Rittich is good to go, he's our starter.

It's more important we clean up our game and stop pushing for offence at all costs, and stop the blind passing already.

And play 60 minute games once and for all.

The mistakes have a lot to do with lax play as much as cheating for offense.

Drop pass top of the circle when you just founght to get the puck back?

Lazy pass to Monahan when you have full possession?

Slow skate behind the net and the puck gets stripped?

I don't mind seeing the defense in deep, as long as the rest of the team looks behind them to see who's covering the blueline.

What I do hate to see is a breakout on the PP, with JH as the lone man back skating it out without support.

He's mostly successful, but teams can trap against that and create a breakaway the other way.

Also, line changes need to have the player dump the puck in deep.

Mostly small things, but they can add up in a game of inches.

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The mistakes have a lot to do with lax play as much as cheating for offense.

Drop pass top of the circle when you just founght to get the puck back?

Lazy pass to Monahan when you have full possession?

Slow skate behind the net and the puck gets stripped?

I don't mind seeing the defense in deep, as long as the rest of the team looks behind them to see who's covering the blueline.

What I do hate to see is a breakout on the PP, with JH as the lone man back skating it out without support.

He's mostly successful, but teams can trap against that and create a breakaway the other way.

Also, line changes need to have the player dump the puck in deep.

Mostly small things, but they can add up in a game of inches.

You're only bringing up Hanafin. lol

You left out wandering aimlessly and creating confusion.

Remember how coaches would literally beat things into you?

I kinda miss those days. I think it ended with Brian Sutter and his Hawks bar-stars.

It took a few years, but Chicago's young players sure got in tune of how not to be. Minus Kane's offseasons lol.

Still see signs of players acting like rock stars, but of course, allegedly is the safe word.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I kinda miss those days. I think it ended with Brian Sutter and his Hawks bar-stars.

It took a few years, but Chicago's young players sure got in tune of how not to be. Minus Kane's offseasons lol.

Still see signs of players acting like rock stars, but of course, allegedly is the safe word.

:lol: 

16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Well, Huska is the D coach, so he hasn't gottent through to Hanifin yet.  

Seems less of a tough-love guy than BP.

He's 21 and in year 4, which is crazy for a D-man.

Not enoug experioence yet.

I wish they had a better option than playing Ras with Kylington, Prout or Valimaki when Hamonic is in the game.

Ras is responsible but Kylington is thinking too much offense.  Ras has a better ability of playing deep.

I'm not worked up about it, just like to see some growth..

Certainly don't want to sound the alarm here but i think it's time to revisit Rittich's workload. 

.890 Save percentage his last 7 starts and was not very good last night IMO. Not trying to create and issue but I do think he is playing too much and it might be starting to show. 

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Certainly don't want to sound the alarm here but i think it's time to revisit Rittich's workload. 

.890 Save percentage his last 7 starts and was not very good last night IMO. Not trying to create and issue but I do think he is playing too much and it might be starting to show. 

A lot of goals were on screen shots last night, and things out of his control. 

Unless a goalie is playing like supermen he’s not good. 

The team made Satoshi Nakamototy mistakes on the goals, so we blame the goalie because he’s the last guy. 

I will I’ll say that stat is more of a team stat than anyone wants to admit. This is why goalies die here. Even Kipper was at fault when he lost. Lame

PS

How much of that stat is affected by the lazy goals against after they scored an empty net goal? The Flames also won higher scoring games but went all free and didn’t play great defensive hockey. 

Stats are deceiving. The Flames have played one good game in the past 6 games.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

A lot of goals were on screen shots last night, and things out of his control. 

Unless a goalie is playing like supermen he’s not good. 

The team made Satoshi Nakamototy mistakes on the goals, so we blame the goalie because he’s the last guy. 

I will I’ll say that stat is more of a team stat than anyone wants to admit. This is why goalies die here. Even Kipper was at fault when he lost. Lame

Where did I blame Rittich? 

I think in this case the stats match the eye test, he's not as sharp these last couple of weeks as he was early. Maybe it has nothing to do with his workload but I'ts something i'm personally monitoring. He hasn't really been a starter in 3 years so handing over a starter workload is something i've been concerned about for a while. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think in this case the stats match the eye test, he's not as sharp these last couple of weeks as he was early. Maybe it has nothing to do with his workload but I'ts something i'm personally monitoring. He hasn't really been a starter in 3 years so handing over a starter workload is something i've been concerned about for a while. 

Well  I don’t agree and think he’s the reason the Flames have won , keeping games close enough to comeback.

the team play has been horrid aside from the Smith game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Well  I don’t agree and think he’s the reason the Flames have won , keeping games close enough to comeback.

the team play has been horrid aside from the Smith game.

Horrid is a large stretch.. haven't been at their best but last 10 games NHL rankings at 5 on 5:

7th in Corsi

7th in Fenwick

7th in Shots against

5th in scoring chances against

1st in high danger chances against

And just so we are clear i'm not pointing the finger his direction nor am I suggesting they are winning in spite of him or anything like that. I am simply stating, and using stats to support that, that for me i've seen a small decline in Rittich's game for a few weeks now and it could be due to workload. Could be me pushing a narrative, could be nothing, I don't know but that's what i'm seeing. 

I think those are fair concerns.

One thing bothers me is when the Flames pick it up they don't give up many shots against, but many of the one's they do give up are solid scoring chances.

While they get many themselves, the D pressing the fwd zones is risky play.

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think those are fair concerns.

One thing bothers me is when the Flames pick it up they don't give up many shots against, but many of the one's they do give up are solid scoring chances.

While they get many themselves, the D pressing the fwd zones is risky play.

I have definitely come to the conclusion that under Peters the Flames are going to give up some high danger chances no question. It's an aggressive system so you are going to get caught probably a couple times a game even when you are playing well. However, I do think it's worth the trade off especially in today's game so i'm taking the trade off personally.

But I think if you are expecting a lock down team that doesn't give up much I don't think they will be that under Peters system. Not to say they can't clean some things up, but it won't be Sutter hockey around here. 

I share the same concerns with Cross, I think there are portions of games lately where Rittich has been fantastic, but then there are other parts where his focus isn't to the level it needs to be.

That isn't a shot at Rittich, it's just that he hasn't been a starter at this level before and that takes a significant toll on a player mentally and physically. I think it is something that he will develop, but it isn't going to happen overnight and it isn't necessarily something that will happen this season.

We don’t deserve a good goalie. Our Flames fans suck at getting behind a good goalie. The team can make errors but it’s on the goalie. Allow the other team to screen, or our own player can tip the puck on our own net and it’s Rittich’s fault

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We don’t deserve a good goalie. Our Flames fans suck at getting behind a good goalie. The team can make errors but it’s on the goalie. Allow the other team to screen, or our own player can tip the puck on our own net and it’s Rittich’s fault

You definitely have not been to the dome yet this season. Or seen/heard the fan reaction to Rittich making even an average save

So far your the only poster on multiple boards i've read multiple times suggest Rittich was at fault last night, even in sarcasm. That vast majority of people have already moved on. 

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I have definitely come to the conclusion that under Peters the Flames are going to give up some high danger chances no question. It's an aggressive system so you are going to get caught probably a couple times a game even when you are playing well. However, I do think it's worth the trade off especially in today's game so i'm taking the trade off personally.

But I think if you are expecting a lock down team that doesn't give up much I don't think they will be that under Peters system. Not to say they can't clean some things up, but it won't be Sutter hockey around here. 

While I agree and don't agree with trying to protect 1 goal leads to start a 3rd period, you shouldn't be giving up 2-on-1s with 3 minutes left when you're up by a couple.

Late goals being up by a couple are a concern I have as well.

I love all of the offence, but there are times when you shut it in late to secure the win and stop looking to get behind them. Which tends to lead to them getting behind us.

Just a bit of balance I'd like to see.

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

That's harsh. We're all firmly behind him. cross is only raising a scenario, not condemning him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

While I agree and don't agree with trying to protect 1 goal leads to start a 3rd period, you shouldn't be giving up 2-on-1s with 3 minutes left when you're up by a couple.

Late goals being up by a couple are a concern I have as well.

I love all of the offence, but there are times when you shut it in late to secure the win and stop looking to get behind them. Which tends to lead to them getting behind us.

Just a bit of balance I'd like to see.

I don't disagree, as I said i think there is cleaning up to do. I'm just willing to acknowledge a "weakness" in Peters system. I think some like lock down hockey form start to finish and I don't think that will be under Peters.

But agree, situational defending can be better for sure on this club. Their whole game can be better to be honest, it's still not great. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

The team is behaving weirdly.

Dominant on one shift, can't get out of their own ways another.

Just thinking about some of the recent goals let in, regardless of goalie (since I can't remeber which for all of them).

Rittich plays the puck to a small crowd and it leaves the net open.

Hanifin passes it to Monahan's skate.

Hanifin casually skates with the puck nder persuit.

Cross seam pass at the blueline turned over.

Line change in OT leaves only Gio behind the play, with the new guys up the ice.

Pucks deflected off sticks toes and screened by own players.

A lot of sloppy play looks bad on whomever is in nets.  Rittich just is better in a couple of the types of scoring chances against.