s4xon

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Goalie news for the ABS crowd. 

I'm not a Pickard guy, nor do I think the Flames have interest but he's out there.

Have to agree.  At one point he looked like an option.  Right now, the only one I would be looking at in season is Allen.

Depends on cost, but he would be a sideways trade right now, but potentially be a solution for next year.

Don't get me wrong, I like Allen but he's not at the top of his game right now.

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting to see Murray's name on this list. Was reported that the Flames had pretty strong interest in Murray at one point. 

https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre-five-goaltenders-who-could-be-on-the-move-1.1217436

Murray would be an interesting trade, have to worry about his concussion and injury history and how much does the impact his ability going forward. He hasn't been anywhere near the same goalie the last two seasons. If you pay a high price to acquire him and he doesn't bounce back it could end up being a pretty bad trade.

Howard is the other name on that list that is interesting, though if Holland is holding out for a 1st round pick that is a non starter for me.

With Giordano, Hanifin and Valimaki patrolling the left side of our D-core and Kylington looking like he is ready to make the jump, I wonder if we can use Kylington as trade bait to improve our team now.

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting to see Murray's name on this list. Was reported that the Flames had pretty strong interest in Murray at one point. 

https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre-five-goaltenders-who-could-be-on-the-move-1.1217436

I bet the Pens wish they had not given away Fleury in the expansion draft...   

6 minutes ago, Carty said:

I bet the Pens wish they had not given away Fleury in the expansion draft...   

I think that's one of those moves were both sides are happy. Pesn badly needed that cap space and certainly would not have been able to give Fleury the money Vegas just did. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Another goalie on waivers...

Wow, that's surprising but not surprising.  McBackup is what they need this year.  

I don't know if there is much you could do with Darline.  He looked promising coming out of CHI, but failed to impress.

Then again, his numbers this year are in line with Smith.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Another goalie on waivers...

Pickard and Darling on waivers, and apparently the Oilers are looking at moving Talbot (according to sportsnet).  An underperforming young career backup and 2 underperforming "starters" with ugly contracts. Pretty slim pickings of you're looking for a goalie.

21 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Pickard and Darling on waivers, and apparently the Oilers are looking at moving Talbot (according to sportsnet).  An underperforming young career backup and 2 underperforming "starters" with ugly contracts. Pretty slim pickings of you're looking for a goalie.

i doubt Darling gets claimed.  Pickard did.

If he makes it to the AHL, would it make sense to trade an asset for him?

Not really sure if the cap hit for burying him in the AHL carries forward to the new team if traded.

If CAR retained the cap hit, then again they may not want to trade dead cap space.

Similar to a buyout, but shorter term?

Just asking.  Would not risk him fo the NHL and we can't take that cap hit just to turn around and also waive him.

As an AHL goalie, he might find his game.  He hasn't regained it since ending up there.

Talbot.  Interesting.  No way they trade to the Flames anyway, but the player used to be very good.  I blame last season on the overall team, but this year he's playing about the same yet Kostinen is playing like Rittich.  Goalie or bad team play in front of him?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

i doubt Darling gets claimed.  Pickard did.

If he makes it to the AHL, would it make sense to trade an asset for him?

Not really sure if the cap hit for burying him in the AHL carries forward to the new team if traded.

If CAR retained the cap hit, then again they may not want to trade dead cap space.

Similar to a buyout, but shorter term?

Just asking.  Would not risk him fo the NHL and we can't take that cap hit just to turn around and also waive him.

As an AHL goalie, he might find his game.  He hasn't regained it since ending up there.

Talbot.  Interesting.  No way they trade to the Flames anyway, but the player used to be very good.  I blame last season on the overall team, but this year he's playing about the same yet Kostinen is playing like Rittich.  Goalie or bad team play in front of him?

It would be a hard no on both fronts in my opinion. Neither is an upgrade over Smith right now and in all honesty I would rather have Smith mentor Rittich than the other two.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think this is fair.

I don't have the numbers but there was a segment on TSN recently where one of their analytic guys did a showcase on Talbot and showed a major reason for his problem is he gets beat high glove far more than league avg and has one of the worst save rates in that area in the league. Combine that with how many soft goals he lets in, especially early in the games, and I just don't see how you link it to a team problem. Seems more of a Talbot problem to me. 

BT had interest in Talbot while he was in NYR, but Sather wouldn't trade him here. He has struggled the last year and change, maybe he needs a fresh start this offseason. If Rittich keeps playing well, I would look at bringing in Varlamov, Talbot or Howard to split starts with him next season.

Interesting read on the Athletic today, Lebrun brought up the 2016 Freddie Andersen trade. Some may remember the 2nd we got in the Russell-DAL trade was conditional, if the Stars got to the conference final, we got their 1st. Hindsight being 20/20 in this article, if the Stars won that series, ANA would have traded Andersen to us as we would have offered them 25th and 35th for Andersen instead of the 30th and a 2017 rounder. Originally ANA wanted 6th overall from us for Andersen and the 24th pick, BT did the right thing, can you imagine Tkachuk on the Ducks, that's a disturbing thought. Ironically enough to make this story go full circle, Elliott was the goalie to knock the Stars out, killing our chances at Andersen, and inevitably being traded here.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I don't think this is fair.

I don't have the numbers but there was a segment on TSN recently where one of their analytic guys did a showcase on Talbot and showed a major reason for his problem is he gets beat high glove far more than league avg and has one of the worst save rates in that area in the league. Combine that with how many soft goals he lets in, especially early in the games, and I just don't see how you link it to a team problem. Seems more of a Talbot problem to me. 

That may be the case.  Seems to me that is also where Smith gets beat.  Maybe the numbers have balanced with his soft goals between the pads, but the eye test always seemed to be high glove side for Smith.  WHatever it is with Talbot, you can;t excatly say they are tight in the D-zone.  

Smith is looking better. It has been against weak teams and he hasn't looked comfortable at times, but he is making big saves and limiting soft goals.  Last night was one of the few games where it felt like they were winning because of Smith instead of in spite of him.  I think the wheels are still at risk of falling off, but right now they are winning with both goalies.  

Hopefully they go back to Rittich next game.  He is still giving us better starts.  But my guess is they go back to a heavier workload for Smith.  But that is just a guess and it won't shock me to see Rittich next game. 

12 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Smith is looking better. It has been against weak teams and he hasn't looked comfortable at times, but he is making big saves and limiting soft goals.  Last night was one of the few games where it felt like they were winning because of Smith instead of in spite of him.  I think the wheels are still at risk of falling off, but right now they are winning with both goalies.  

Hopefully they go back to Rittich next game.  He is still giving us better starts.  But my guess is they go back to a heavier workload for Smith.  But that is just a guess and it won't shock me to see Rittich next game. 

The coach isn't saying much.  He hasn't come out and said Smith is the man.  He's playing it close to the vest.

With that said, you have to alternate goalies until you know for sure.  Rittich plays lights out, you give him another.

They were working towards a certain number of starts for Smith, but that was to limit him.  I think that's gone out the window.

Smith had wins in two games where the Flames dominated.  The latest was a win where the Flames were dominating, but let the game get away from them.  SMith had stops that looked amazing, but some of them were as a result of his positioning.  The scorpion was due to being flat on his face.

I'll give credit where it is due.  He's looked dialed in.  That is what you need from him.  Coach the dumb stickhandling out of him a bit, and he would be better overall.  He does not need to hold the puck behind the net with forecheckers coming at him.

Interesting to see what happens Thursday. Most times when you have to give your goalie the hook and come back to win it's a no-brainer who starts the next game. That's not the case here, as neither goalie was particularly amazing (obviously). I would lean Rittich to get him back in there after a tough outing, but I could see it going either way

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Interesting to see what happens Thursday. Most times when you have to give your goalie the hook and come back to win it's a no-brainer who starts the next game. That's not the case here, as neither goalie was particularly amazing (obviously). I would lean Rittich to get him back in there after a tough outing, but I could see it going either way

I don't know what to say.

Rittich had an okay game against Dallas, then sat for two in a row.

Giving up one or two bad goals tonight.

The hook was as much to change momentum as anything else.

Smith 1st shot in the 2nd was not exactly inspiring.

I think the next start has to be well thought out.

It could be a low scoring game, so we will need solid goaltending.

WHomever gets ths start will get the 2nd game in the B2B against EDM.

I think the G position is still a work in progress.

Smith playing better but still a few wrinkles. 

Rittich has been inconsistent in the past and hopefully that’s ironed out.

I’m very hopeful our goaltending solidifies between now and Christmas from hopeful to stalwart.

Ideally Rittich has given Smith the time he needed and Rittich keeps pressing to limit Smith’s starts.

Rittich’s up there for MVP rn for me. Holding the fort for a hugely struggling Smith is a very big deal imo.

Also consider we’ve had a couple of throwaway losses and we could be 1st in the NHL.

B2B walking into Edmonton, good time for Peters to tell the skaters why they’re first in the West.

C’mon Rittich, I’ve been your biggest fan for a while now, big night tonight will cost me a new jersey...!!

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think the G position is still a work in progress.

Smith playing better but still a few wrinkles. 

Rittich has been inconsistent in the past and hopefully that’s ironed out.

I’m very hopeful our goaltending solidifies between now and Christmas from hopeful to stalwart.

Ideally Rittich has given Smith the time he needed and Rittich keeps pressing to limit Smith’s starts.

Rittich’s up there for MVP rn for me. Holding the fort for a hugely struggling Smith is a very big deal imo.

Also consider we’ve had a couple of throwaway losses and we could be 1st in the NHL.

B2B walking into Edmonton, good time for Peters to tell the skaters why they’re first in the West.

C’mon Rittich, I’ve been your biggest fan for a while now, big night tonight will cost me a new jersey...!!

Rittich got burned on the goalie interferrence no call in the Dallas game and it messed with him.

The fact that they went to Smith for the next game didn;t help.  And then the next.

Controversy over.  Give Rittich his due.

He's had one bad period.