s4xon

I don't think they can afford both and I don't think they can afford, from a playing time perspective, to have Holtby, Grubauer and Samsonov all in the NHL and i'm not sure Samsonov is coming over to play in the A. Probably too good for it too. 

so we'll see. I'm not a fan of Grubauer personally. I think he is a career backup or 1B at best, I don't see starter and just never have so I wouldn't be interested in giving up a bunch of assets for him or a good asset. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 11:34 AM, cross16 said:

I'm not a fan of Grubauer personally. I think he is a career backup or 1B at best, I don't see starter and just never have so I wouldn't be interested in giving up a bunch of assets for him or a good asset.

Agreed...   He has put up some pretty good numbers, but there are still good reasons to question if he has what it takes to be a starter...   There is too much risk involved to gamble the assets it would take to get him...

10 minutes ago, Carty said:

Agreed...   He has put up some pretty good numbers, but there are still good reasons to question if he has what it takes to be a starter...   There is too much risk involved to gamble the assets it would take to get him...

Our Goalie pipeline is set up as good as one could ask for right now, why bring in another one that has to address the same questions that need to answered in Rittich, Gilles and Parsons ? Smith provides the 1 year bridge we need to these others.

• Like 1

Looks like the Oilers are going after the "2nd best guy not in the NHL".  They are expected to sign Mikko Koskinen for $2.5m AAV for 2 years.

The "best goalie not in the NHL" is perhaps Emil Garipov.  Just won the Gagarin Cup, with AkBars sporting the following numbers:

Regular season - 1.99 GAA with .931 SVS%

Playoffs - 1.55GAA and .944 SVS%

He's available after April 30th.  Anyone have any insight into this guy and whether we should be looking to sign him?

On 4/23/2018 at 8:57 AM, travel_dude said:

Looks like the Oilers are going after the "2nd best guy not in the NHL".  They are expected to sign Mikko Koskinen for $2.5m AAV for 2 years.

The "best goalie not in the NHL" is perhaps Emil Garipov.  Just won the Gagarin Cup, with AkBars sporting the following numbers:

He's available after April 30th.  Anyone have any insight into this guy and whether we should be looking to sign him?

does he shoot R and play RW?

On 4/23/2018 at 8:57 AM, travel_dude said:

can never have enough quality goal prospects , but numbers wise he's no more impressive than Ramo was  when we signed him . Won't really know what he is until he gets here 

• 5 weeks later...

I would say Alexei Krasikov is an order of magnitude better than Koskinen right now, 7 years younger, and ....well, not sure what you do about the contract.

There are a multitude of incredible young goalies available right now.  But BT has already stated that they "have the right personal".

I can't even.

I want to revisit MAF situation from last summer.  Does anyone know who the Pens wanted for MAF from the Flames?  I remember reading BT never even inquired? 

I was pushing for MAF last summer but got shot down so hard.  Where are those voices now?  Show yourself.

21 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I would say Alexei Krasikov is an order of magnitude better than Koskinen right now, 7 years younger, and ....well, not sure what you do about the contract.

There are a multitude of incredible young goalies available right now.  But BT has already stated that they "have the right personal".

I can't even.

Never heard of them.  Are they KHL goalies?

57 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I want to revisit MAF situation from last summer.  Does anyone know who the Pens wanted for MAF from the Flames?  I remember reading BT never even inquired? 

I was pushing for MAF last summer but got shot down so hard.  Where are those voices now?  Show yourself.

My understanding is Both times our #1 pick was being demanded( as well as +).. so basically Tkachuk 2 years ago, Valimaki last year 

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Well Fleury only played 46 games this season, so it may not have been much better here.  JK.

The ask for MAF was 6th overall.  I think the Flames were still thinking they could move up and get Tkachuk or better.

Wonder what Smith would have been like in Vegas.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I know others have commented but here’s what I’ve read.

Fleury told Eric Francis this summer that he would have waived his NMC to come here if a deal was made.

BT did inquire at the deadline  last season, right around when we got on our win streak. I think the ask was Elliott and the 1st and maybe more 

The flames inquired about Fleury 2 summers ago, not last. At that point the price was the Tkachuk pick from everything I read. 

Vegas and Pittsburgh agreed to a deal, with Fleury consent of course, at last years deadline that Fleury would stay in Pittsburgh the remainder of the year and then be dealt to Vegas as their pick in the expansion draft. He was off the market last trade deadline and last summer. 

12 hours ago, cross16 said:

The flames inquired about Fleury 2 summers ago, not last. At that point the price was the Tkachuk pick from everything I read. 

Vegas and Pittsburgh agreed to a deal, with Fleury consent of course, at last years deadline that Fleury would stay in Pittsburgh the remainder of the year and then be dealt to Vegas as their pick in the expansion draft. He was off the market last trade deadline and last summer. 

they did have a framework at the 2017 Trade Deadline , as per MAF.. per him he wasn't asked to Waive, but would have . Rutherford knew he "wanted" (didnt demand) to see the season though, so JR didn't go ahead with the deal

54 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

they did have a framework at the 2017 Trade Deadline , as per MAF.. per him he wasn't asked to Waive, but would have . Rutherford knew he "wanted" (didnt demand) to see the season though, so JR didn't go ahead with the deal

This is not how I understand it. Behind the scenes, and reported by more than a few reputable sources, Fleury to Vegas was already done at the deadline they just couldn't say so publicly. I've never read anywhere the Flames made an offer outside of the 2016 summer or were ever close to having a deal. 

Imo Fleury was going to Vegas all along. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

This is not how I understand it. Behind the scenes, and reported by more than a few reputable sources, Fleury to Vegas was already done at the deadline they just couldn't say so publicly. I've never read anywhere the Flames made an offer outside of the 2016 summer or were ever close to having a deal. 

Imo Fleury was going to Vegas all along. 

I took it from this. I agree it may be open to interpretation , but at the very least shows that according to MAF,  Vegas wasn't a done deal ..

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/marc-andre-fleury-waived-no-trade-go-calgary/

It's tricky to get the good ones out. Most of them make way more over there than they would here or their Russian and have no interest. 

"Can" be done, but it's not easy which is why so far it hasn't been very successful 

8 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I took it from this. I agree it may be open to interpretation , but at the very least shows that according to MAF,  Vegas wasn't a done deal ..

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/marc-andre-fleury-waived-no-trade-go-calgary/

Ya this is my understanding as well.  MAF would've waived to come to Calgary last summer meaning the Flames wouldn't have given up the Tkachuk pick, but probably the Valimaki pick. We probably would've given everything in the Hamonic deal as well but i'd do it.  Hamonic could've been replaced by Stone last season and MAF would've took us into the playoffs at least.

On 5/26/2018 at 3:01 PM, phoenix66 said:

This is what I was going off of.. https://www.nhl.com/news/pittsburgh-penguins-marc-andre-fleury-say-goodbye/c-289943734

It was reported Wednesday that Fleury waived his no-movement clause before the 2017 NHL Trade Deadline so the Penguins could protect Murray in the NHL Expansion Draft. If Fleury had decided to not waive the clause, general manager Jim Rutherford would have worked to trade him to one of the 18 teams not on his no-trade list before the deadline.

Now what isn't know, did Vegas ever entertain trading Fleury once they acquired him? My guess is no, given the immediately made him the "star", but I've never read either way. 

On 5/25/2018 at 8:47 PM, travel_dude said:

Well Fleury only played 46 games this season, so it may not have been much better here.  JK.

The ask for MAF was 6th overall.  I think the Flames were still thinking they could move up and get Tkachuk or better.

Wonder what Smith would have been like in Vegas.

It wouldn't matter if we got him, our biggest problem is how we manage goalies.   

Had we acquired MAH we would have played him 70 games and he would have tailed off the same way Smith did.

(that said, BT's comment that we "have the right personnel" is still a shockingly blinded denial of reallity)

11 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

It wouldn't matter if we got him, our biggest problem is how we manage goalies.   

Had we acquired MAH we would have played him 70 games and he would have tailed off the same way Smith did.

(that said, BT's comment that we "have the right personnel" is still a shockingly blinded denial of reallity)

Even by your standards, you are not particularly happy!

What would you do to change the team around?

I don't have a problem at G, as long as Smith is reined in.

At D, I'm putting Brodie back on Gio's right. That was never broken but we fixed it (real good).

Too many RSD, I'd be looking what I can get for Hamilton. 2 top 6 RS and a left D would do it for me.

We wouldn't have to rely on Hamilton's timely scoring if we were better up front.

Most of all, we are totally a one trick pony with Gaudreau and zone entries. Every team knows it, so it's obvious JG is going to have a lot of turnovers.

For all we get pissed at his turnovers, it's coaching's fault, not his. That is one of the biggest things that needs to change imho.

I knew this offseason was going to be a very difficult one. Hopefully mgmt knows this is more than a couple tweaks.

Hamilton, Ferland, likely Rittich(package) are key guys I'd move.

Not because I don't like having them, but we have to figure out how to get better.

I just don't think Brodie and Bennett scapegoated gets us the type of returns we need.

On 5/29/2018 at 2:17 PM, conundrumed said:

Even by your standards, you are not particularly happy!

I am cranky, yes, to put it mildly.   I am making a conscious effort not to post too much or get overly involved, so as not to come across the wrong way.   I'm at that point.   

I don't see any solution outside of firing Brad Treliving and possibly hoping for new ownership.

So, I will spare you all an elaboration.

Eventually, I will get my wish.  And I'll be back with a better attitude at that time.