s4xon

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this is a move that is made because Rittich hasn't been great lately or if it's because Gillies hasn't really been great in Stockton, do you get Rittich down there to hopefully push the Heat into the playoffs. Or to really get my tinfoil hat going, is this a move to showcase Gillies for a possible trade.

I think you need to start seeing what you have in Gillies. Personally I think you've seen what Rittich can do but you need to see Gillies. Both in terms of what he can do for you but also from an asset management point of view. ideally you'd have all 3 goalies up here but you need to try and get the Heat in the playoffs. 

44 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think you need to start seeing what you have in Gillies. Personally I think you've seen what Rittich can do but you need to see Gillies. Both in terms of what he can do for you but also from an asset management point of view. ideally you'd have all 3 goalies up here but you need to try and get the Heat in the playoffs. 

Spot on.

There is no point in playing Smith in CGY.  We know what he is and should save his body for next season.  Give him at most one more start.  

Gillies needs the games here.  He was a deer-in-headlights for every game he started, until he locked it down.  Need him to play the 1st periods like he plays the 2nd and 3rds.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Rittich has had a tough go of it since after he came to Calgary.

Hopefully, it's not as a result of working with the goalie coach here.

Last two starts in Stockton:

6 GA today.

5 GA last game.

We had a backup.  Not sure what we have anymore.

The flow of the game is different. I’ve heard ex players talk about how it is easier to play in the NHL than lower leagues because the nhl is so refined.

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The flow of the game is different. I’ve heard ex players talk about how it is easier to play in the NHL than lower leagues because the nhl is so refined.

Rittich will be fine. Time to get a serious look at Gilles was the intent this past few weeks. He looked very good last night

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Rittich has had a tough go of it since after he came to Calgary.

Hopefully, it's not as a result of working with the goalie coach here.

Last two starts in Stockton:

6 GA today.

5 GA last game.

We had a backup.  Not sure what we have anymore.

I am not quite sure what to make of our goaltenders at the moment. I had high hopes for Gillies at one point. Now, I am not so sure that he will end up being a #1 goaltender. He seems to struggle with confidence and allows a really weak goal early in games. Obviously, we have a small sample of his work at this point. I guess that I was hoping for more from him. Rittich seems to play well for a limited number of games. That might not be enough if Smith's work deteriorates over the season. You also need a coach who is will to let the backups play.

Anyways, thank goodness we have Lack under contract. :ph34r: Helluva pick up.

If I had to pick one of Rittich or Gillies to backup next season, I would pick Rittich.

Gillies is in a tough spot because he is RFA this summer.  The Flames have Mason McDonald signed for next season but Parsons and Schnieder both need to turn pro and need playing time.  I feel like bringing back Gillies would stunt the growth of one of those goalies who should share starting roles in the AHL.  And from what can be seen, both have higher Ceilings that Gillies right now.  

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If I had to pick one of Rittich or Gillies to backup next season, I would pick Rittich.

Gillies is in a tough spot because he is RFA this summer.  The Flames have Mason McDonald signed for next season but Parsons and Schnieder both need to turn pro and need playing time.  I feel like bringing back Gillies would stunt the growth of one of those goalies who should share starting roles in the AHL.  And from what can be seen, both have higher Ceilings that Gillies right now.  

Whoever gets the call to be the backup, I do hope they rid the organization of the current goalie coach.

I personally feel that the things that made Rittich a good goalie were coached out of him.

Never saw him play the puck up the boards until after he'd been here for some extended time.

The mounting losses here shook his confidence.  He was a road warrior.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Smith, Rittich, Gillies, Parsons, McDonald and Schneider.  We have three teams and 6 goalies to accommodate.  I don’t see the problem.  You can rotate guys around based on their play.  If you give Schneider the ECHL, then yes, we need to drop one.  

To me Rittich was very good as a backup but failed as a #1 starter, the same as happened in the AHL.  Gillies is developing still, as is Parsons.  They are the keepers.

On 4/6/2018 at 6:36 PM, Cowtownguy said:

What part? That we would not make the playoffs or that our goaltending would be inadequate? 

Well, both :/

And yes I'm a jerk for pointing it out, I know.  I'm just frustrated.

As pertains to this thread, the goaltending.

How many times have we given our goalie pipeline a Darwinistic "good enough, maybe it'll sort itself out" attitude, picked one aging veteran, and riding him hard until nothing left of him?

Kind of every season.    I'm not here enough to debate this, I wish you all the greatest of luck with that, 

We need a new GM, a new goalie coach, and ......   Maybe we need someone new to hire our GM as well.

Just so tired of seeing the same broken record.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

We need a new GM, a new goalie coach

I would agree with the 2nd part of this.

Smith was as good as advertised...for 1/2 his season.

Were the fans the only ones to notice that his play fell off v=before he got injured?

What happened to Rittich?

Suddenly he starts doing a few things differently and starts to lose his edge?

Same goalie coach as last year.

Same goalie coach as the BH years.

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would agree with the 2nd part of this.

Smith was as good as advertised...for 1/2 his season.

Were the fans the only ones to notice that his play fell off v=before he got injured?

What happened to Rittich?

Suddenly he starts doing a few things differently and starts to lose his edge?

Same goalie coach as last year.

Same goalie coach as the BH years.

That is alarming. It seems like everyone he touches goes south on him.