s4xon

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

PITTS will only trade MAF prior to the expansion draft.  The same is true for Raanta.  You trade assets for two goalies and lose one to LV almost certainly.  I don't have a problem with either, but you can only pick one.  

As stated elsewhere, I'm not the biggest MAF fan, and his playoff run will inflate his value in PITTS's mind.  But, if you go that route, you need to look for a backup after the expansion.  

so you use Vegas to get the 1b/backup guy.. they will be brokering more than one deal that week .. I cant think of one team who could trade for Raanta and have him as their protected goalie

3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think you either strike gold with goaltenders or you don't. This is from a talent standpoint and performances when needed the most. Just look at all this conversation and as far as I'm concerned you could flip a coin with all the names being thrown around. I don't see the next Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy, Grant Fuhr or Carey Price in our system or in all these names.

I'm going with Elliott for 2more years and trade Stajan or Bouma to CAR for Eddie Lack.

No thank you to Lack. He has been terrible since going to Carolina, there are so many better options, that going for Lack doesn't make any sense.

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

so you use Vegas to get the 1b/backup guy.. they will be brokering more than one deal that week .. I cant think of one team who could trade for Raanta and have him as their protected goalie

Any team that sees a hole in their net could do it, if they don't have a goalie with a NMC.  The list is not long.

It looks like we are hooped in net. Unless we can somehow pry away a great goalie, the best option is to keep Elliott. Obviously, he is no Kipper, but he is as good or better than most of the options I see available. I get the sense that most guys on the team like him.

3 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

It looks like we are hooped in net. Unless we can somehow pry away a great goalie, the best option is to keep Elliott. Obviously, he is no Kipper, but he is as good or better than most of the options I see available. I get the sense that most guys on the team like him.

I still see Fleury, Miller and Grubauer as upgrades on Elliott.

I really like Grubauer and think he can come in and be a number 1 right away. The knock will be that he hasn't started before, to that I say look at Martin Jones, he went from playing 19 games in '13-14, 15 games in '14-15 to 65 games the last two seasons. Grubauer has put up solid numbers at every level. I would let him take the reins and see where he goes, I would sign a veteran back up like Chad Johnson or Darcy Keumper.

I get the hesitation with Fleury, he has had a history of struggling in the playoffs and his regular season this year was less than stellar. His last 3 seasons in the playoffs he has given his team solid goaltending. This year can be chalked up to losing his job and uncertainty with his name in trade rumors. Give him the net and he will bounce back to being the number goaltender he was prior to this season.

Miller put up very good numbers while playing for one of the worst teams in the league last year. He has the ability to single-handedly steal games for his team something we haven't had since Kipper.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I still see Fleury, Miller and Grubauer as upgrades on Elliott.

I really like Grubauer and think he can come in and be a number 1 right away. The knock will be that he hasn't started before, to that I say look at Martin Jones, he went from playing 19 games in '13-14, 15 games in '14-15 to 65 games the last two seasons. Grubauer has put up solid numbers at every level. I would let him take the reins and see where he goes, I would sign a veteran back up like Chad Johnson or Darcy Keumper.

I get the hesitation with Fleury, he has had a history of struggling in the playoffs and his regular season this year was less than stellar. His last 3 seasons in the playoffs he has given his team solid goaltending. This year can be chalked up to losing his job and uncertainty with his name in trade rumors. Give him the net and he will bounce back to being the number goaltender he was prior to this season.

Miller put up very good numbers while playing for one of the worst teams in the league last year. He has the ability to single-handedly steal games for his team something we haven't had since Kipper.

I guess that I am the only one on the board who thinks Miller is clearly a #1 goalie. Even at his age, I think he can be a great starter. He totally carried the load in Vancouver and did it with incredible poise IMO. I would have no problems getting him if he is available. I doubt that he will be.

I do not know enough about Grubauer to respond intelligently. I am intrigued though. Goalie stats are not very valid indicators IMO. I need to see the dude play to get a handle on them. I have not watched his play much.

I would be choked if Treliving took MAF. He is a more expensive Elliott with the same weak spots. He is just more expensive. As I have stated above, that might be bias on my part. Maybe he just rubs me the wrong way.

14 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

no they'l use them for assets.. id be willing to bet when they drop the puck on opening night less than half the players on the roster will have been selected from the expansion draft 

& the most valuable assets (top 6 centers & top 2/3 D) aren't going to be exposed to LV.

Their best bet is load up on #4 Ds (@ least some would be 2/3 on teams weaker on D) & goalies. Keep what McPhee sees as the best 6 D & best 2 goalies & trade others for assets. Heck, trade 2 of the best 6 & 1 ofthe best 2 goalies for forwards to balance things.

LV actually has a crack @ being middle of the pack with a lot of the also rans that were close to a wildcard. With the brain trust in place I expect them to vie for a playoff spot but miss by "this much". (Said in a Maxwell Smart voice.)

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If Mrazek is available he is far and away my number 1 choice.

I agree, i still have a hard time believing they'd part with him,  but yes Id be all over it.. just wont give up Gilles or Parsons in the deal.

Howard I want no part of though, better to keep Elliot

28 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If Mrazek is available he is far and away my number 1 choice.

My bigger concern is that we are waiting for one of the teams still playing (PITTS, WASH), and that the guy we want team plays until early June.  If the deal doesn't go through, then we would have missed out on one of the teams not playing right now (DET, CBJ, NYR).  I don't play a good game of chicken. 

35 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

& the most valuable assets (top 6 centers & top 2/3 D) aren't going to be exposed to LV.

Their best bet is load up on #4 Ds (@ least some would be 2/3 on teams weaker on D) & goalies. Keep what McPhee sees as the best 6 D & best 2 goalies & trade others for assets. Heck, trade 2 of the best 6 & 1 ofthe best 2 goalies for forwards to balance things.

LV actually has a crack @ being middle of the pack with a lot of the also rans that were close to a wildcard. With the brain trust in place I expect them to vie for a playoff spot but miss by "this much". (Said in a Maxwell Smart voice.)

LV is gauranteed 3rd seed lotto odds for the next couple years so they may as well gun for the playoffs right off the bat.

I definitely gotta be honest at this point and say now that the decidedly (to some) best option is (maybe/likely) off the table.. i have faith in BT to have the right combo in place next season ..  But if we start the season with Lehtonen and / or Niemi all bets are off B)

Depending on how much you believe John Shannon (I find sometimes I think he makes stuff up ) - he was on 960 this morning and said, we also made a pitch at the trade deadline for Bishop.. asked to speak to him again but were declined by Yzerman so did not make the offer .. leaving Steve y to take the LA deal.

Now having tried twice and failed , this is why Bishop has no interest in coming here ...  but again , doesn't sound right  so not really buying it personally 

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

My bigger concern is that we are waiting for one of the teams still playing (PITTS, WASH), and that the guy we want team plays until early June.  If the deal doesn't go through, then we would have missed out on one of the teams not playing right now (DET, CBJ, NYR).  I don't play a good game of chicken. 

lets say for example we were planning on going for Fleury..  just cuz hes playing doesn't mean the GMs aren't talking .. that deal could already be done and sitting in a drawer for all we know .. its not like it's a coach who we need to talk to or interview .Fleury has an 18 team acceptance list (or a 12 team rejection list depending on how you call it)  so long as its not a question of asking him to waive, he could already be traded and not even know it 

an this keeps getting more and more intriguing..   so hypothetically as an example..  LV signs Brian Elliot as a free agent ..  that now counts as our Roster Loss pick

they trade him back to us for a 4th round pick.. now we dont have to pay the 3rd to St Louis

Im sure that example wont happen, but the fact that option is there could make this whole ED the most exciting part of June !

Pierre Lebrun on Twitter - stating teams are looking to use LV free agency window to their advantage

lebrun_twitter_49669_bigger.jpgPierre LeBrunVerified account @PierreVLeBrun

Follow

Interesting: have heard from teams who are contemplating using Vegas' unique free-agent window prior to June 21 in this fashion (con't)...

Team X could offer Vegas an asset in exchange for signing a pending UFA from another team during that unique window (con't)....

Then Vegas would flip that signed player to Team X. But key is that Vegas must wait until after expansion draft to flip the signed player

That's because any signed free agent during the unique window counts as one of Vegas' roster picks for expansion draft...

I dont' think the goalie market has changed too much for the Flames. Darling got a ridiculous contract IMO that I wouldn't have given him (not sure the Flames would either) and Bishop I think was either going to price himself out of the Flames market (already did according to reports) or didn't want to come here anyway. Sure sounds like Bishop wasn't going to be an option. 

Still plenty of options out there and really I still think the Flames are at the same place they were at the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I dont' think the goalie market has changed too much for the Flames. Darling got a ridiculous contract IMO that I wouldn't have given him (not sure the Flames would either) and Bishop I think was either going to price himself out of the Flames market (already did according to reports) or didn't want to come here anyway. Sure sounds like Bishop wasn't going to be an option. 

Still plenty of options out there and really I still think the Flames are at the same place they were at the end of the season. 

same place but with less options.

15 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

same place but with less options.

Depends on whether you think Bishop was a legitimate option. Sure sounds like he wasn't 

also the trade off there now is there are now potentially 2 less teams looking for goalies too. So yes less options but also less competition especially given that there so few teams looking for starters in the first place. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Depends on whether you think Bishop was a legitimate option. Sure sounds like he wasn't 

also the trade off there now is there are now potentially 2 less teams looking for goalies too. So yes less options but also less competition. 

The only thing holding Dallas back according to most close to that team is goaltending...  Of the available goalies this season there are only a handful that are suitable for our starting needs. Bishop was one of the suitable ones whether he was interested or not, fact is he is now gone.

Edit: if Dallas signs him then they instantly become competition for the wildcard spots. Not less competition in goalie market because they have grabbed one of the better ones available.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I'm confused then.  If you trade for MAF and sign Raanta, how do you manage to run that tandem?  If you go 1a/1b, MAF would demand a trade.  If you play Raanta as a backup, you would never sign him.  The only possible use of Raanta or Grubaer is if you signed Elliott to be a 1b.  Maybe that's all he deserves, but you have to think some team will make him a #1.

Buffalo isn't about to trade Lehner.  They may want to trade Niilson to avoid losing him for nothing.  

I agree, if you trade for a guy like Raanta (which I'd prefer since Bishop is no longer an option) , he should be given the chance to be the Nr.1 guy. In that case you also need an experienced 1b option that ideally was a Nr.1 guy in the past. They could look at a guy like Halak after the expansion draft, who doesn't seem to have a future with the Islanders, or sign a guy like Steve Mason.

19 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I guess that I am the only one on the board who thinks Miller is clearly a #1 goalie. Even at his age, I think he can be a great starter. He totally carried the load in Vancouver and did it with incredible poise IMO. I would have no problems getting him if he is available. I doubt that he will be.

I do not know enough about Grubauer to respond intelligently. I am intrigued though. Goalie stats are not very valid indicators IMO. I need to see the dude play to get a handle on them. I have not watched his play much.

I would be choked if Treliving took MAF. He is a more expensive Elliott with the same weak spots. He is just more expensive. As I have stated above, that might be bias on my part. Maybe he just rubs me the wrong way.

Question on Miller is would he accept a contract no higher than 4M to come here ? I think the talent is there.

8 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Question on Miller is would he accept a contract no higher than 4M to come here ? I think the talent is there.

I see that being the ceiling of his next contract , at his age , even though he still plays at a high level I believe his big paydays are behind him .

But seriously after the run he's having , any doubts we should be targeting MAF should be gone. I dont think Ive ever seen a player so loose , so "im just having fun" in a game 7.. it rubs off on your teammates.

Wondering , when was the last time a Conn Smythe winner got traded right after the playoffs ??  could happen!

"Hey MAF.. you just won the Stanley Cup!.. what are you going to do now?"

"I'm going to Calgary !"