s4xon

Tough to blame last night on Berra, should he have saved two of those goals, probably, but he shouldn't have been put in a position to have to make a save.

Cammalleri had a terrible give away resulting in the first goal I believe. On the Sharp goal, someone missed an assignment and left Sharp wide open. On the third goal Baertschi should have had the puck cleared.

As far as Ramo goes, he will get some more playing time going forward, Calgary's schedule has been fairly spread out of late allowing Hartley to go the goalie who gives the team the best chance to win which in my mind is Berra. With some back to backs coming up I can see Ramo getting in some more games.

Ramo just looks more shaky in the games I have seen and Berra just seems to battles better and does a better job at keeping Calgary in games.

What I think they are doing in regards to not playing Ramo is they know they have him signed for next season while, MacD and Berra contracts are up this season, they are playing them to see if they want to resign or not. That is the story I am going with because nothing else makes sense to me.

• Like 1

Berra was pretty crappy 3rd period. Give Ramo a chance its not like its going to get any worse.

Berra is a bit like Tim Thomas and Marty Brodeur combined.  Unconventional at times, with him flopping around or sliding way out of position to overplay a shot and making a great stop; and the odd amazing padd stack type saves.

Both of these things put him out of position, and can lead to a wide-open net, or a simple deke to stuff it in.  He plays big in the net, but leaves some holes(short side post).

Berra was bad last night. He seemed to be flopping around a lot because he was out of position, especially in the 3rd. Dont see how you can go with him next game especially after last nights meltdown.

Looks like Hartley goes with Berra against the Ducks; doesn't matter really, since we have won there in this century.

Ramo gets to play against the Kings, which he had his first win against.

Berra has to learn to shut the door in the last minute of games. It seems like teams score at will on him at the end of games on a constant basis. I know our D is suckage but still. How many times have we almost won or almost lost because of some last minute goal. When the last half of the third hits I brace myself for a flood of goals against the Flames.

Give Ramo a few starts in a row. Of course he is shaky his confidence is shaken and he has never been allowed to play enough games in a row to get accustomed or redeem himself. Hartley does have his favorites so it will be Berra all the way.

Between Ramo and Berra, i think Berra is showing the most ceiling potential with his slightly unorthodoxed style of goaltending.  Ramo looks a bit slow, yet technically sounder than Berra at the moment.

As we move pieces for younger assets, i think it's important to keep the two goalie system so one goalie doesn't completely wear out and lose all confidence.  Spread the losses around.

So that said, we need to start playing Ramo for a 3 or 4 game stretch starting right away. IMO.

Not sure what your rush is. We have Ramo on a 2 year contract / time frame to find out what he has to offer and only 1 year with Berra.

Seems the better strategy to find out what Berra has to offer first doesn't it?

As for those who say Berra is getting preferential treatment I beg to differ.

01875d6f020b937d048d313562d5cb11.png

Presently Berra has only played 2 more games than Ramo has. Hardly favoritism over 25 games played so far this season.

Not sure what your rush is. We have Ramo on a 2 year contract / time frame to find out what he has to offer and only 1 year with Berra.

Seems the better strategy to find out what Berra has to offer first doesn't it?

As for those who say Berra is getting preferential treatment I beg to differ.

01875d6f020b937d048d313562d5cb11.png

Presently Berra has only played 2 more games than Ramo has. Hardly favoritism over 25 games played so far this season.

That is a leap. Playing a rotation of 10 to 1 isn't good for either goalie. Ramo isn't going to be successful playing that rarely and Berra isn't good enough to handle this time workload.

And Berra started in the AHL to get used to NA ice. Since called up he has played 10 of the 11 starts.

Ramo is getting the second of back to backs and that is it. If Berra was lights out it might be defensible. But he hasn't been anywhere close.

That is a leap. Playing a rotation of 10 to 1 isn't good for either goalie. Ramo isn't going to be successful playing that rarely and Berra isn't good enough to handle this time workload.

And Berra started in the AHL to get used to NA ice. Since called up he has played 10 of the 11 starts.

Ramo is getting the second of back to backs and that is it. If Berra was lights out it might be defensible. But he hasn't been anywhere close.

None of the goalies has played lights out and I don't see where or how you would think that they should or would be likely to. There is no doubt in my mind which goalie has played the best and offered the Flames the best chance to win.

We are not even a 3rd through the season and you guys are flying off the handle because Ramo has been getting sporadic starts. I can only think of 1 game (late Oct against LA) that stands out that he deserved his getting another followup game start. 

None of the goalies has played lights out and I don't see where or how you would think that they should or would be likely to. There is no doubt in my mind which goalie has played the best and offered the Flames the best chance to win.

We are not even a 3rd through the season and you guys are flying off the handle because Ramo has been getting sporadic starts. I can only think of 1 game (late Oct against LA) that stands out that he deserved his getting another followup game start. 

Ramo hasn't had a start since November 8.  Digest that.  November 8.  That is over three weeks between starts.  Fleury and Luongo are the league leaders in starts and even their backups haven't went that many days between starts.  

November 8 was the second half of a back to back.  Tomorrow will be the second half of a back to back.  The only other ice time he has had is when Berra was pulled.  Once tonight and once in a stinker against Dallas.  

I don't expect any of the goalies to have played lights out.  But I also don't expect any of the goalies to be treated like elite goalies. Berra is getting a ratio of starts higher than any other goalie in the league.  He hasn't played well enough to deserve that.  How can you possibly justify Berra getting an elite starter load given his play?  

I don't expect Ramo to be the starter.  I agree that Berra has played marginally better.  But I also don't expect him to go over three weeks without getting a start.  That is ridiculous for any goalie.  

Given the marginal play of both goalies they should split a start each with the better performance getting the 3 start.  They should be battling for the starter position.  We should be evaluating both goalies and see what we have in them.  The current ratio isn't defensible and is clearly favoritism shown by the coaching staff.  The guy was given the keys to the starting position as soon as he arrived and has been at zero risk of losing them.  I am just waiting for Burke to blow his top and step through both Feaster and Hartley.

Ramo hasn't had a start since November 8.  Digest that.  November 8.  That is over three weeks between starts.  Fleury and Luongo are the league leaders in starts and even their backups haven't went that many days between starts.  

November 8 was the second half of a back to back.  Tomorrow will be the second half of a back to back.  The only other ice time he has had is when Berra was pulled.  Once tonight and once in a stinker against Dallas.  

I don't expect any of the goalies to have played lights out.  But I also don't expect any of the goalies to be treated like elite goalies. Berra is getting a ratio of starts higher than any other goalie in the league.  He hasn't played well enough to deserve that.  How can you possibly justify Berra getting an elite starter load given his play?  

I don't expect Ramo to be the starter.  I agree that Berra has played marginally better.  But I also don't expect him to go over three weeks without getting a start.  That is ridiculous for any goalie.  

Given the marginal play of both goalies they should split a start each with the better performance getting the 3 start.  They should be battling for the starter position.  We should be evaluating both goalies and see what we have in them.  The current ratio isn't defensible and is clearly favoritism shown by the coaching staff.  The guy was given the keys to the starting position as soon as he arrived and has been at zero risk of losing them.  I am just waiting for Burke to blow his top and step through both Feaster and Hartley.

Lets be serious here kehatch. I did not say Berra is being given elite status you did... and you expect me to "back up" your statement. LMFAO Nice try however...

Elite starter load...that would be really funny if you didn't have to chose some obscure methodology("a ratio of starts higher") to try and make your point. Who the hell uses ratio of starts to judge anything?????? Cold hard fact is Berra ranks 35th overall in starts among all NHL goaltenders. Ramo is presently 2 games behind but will be 1 behind after next game.(He happens to be starting next game).

c6817568b872fe29e5a431f9e066a222.png

ea6f12cf4876a138f1f448a0e2865571.png

What I really said was

There is no doubt in my mind which goalie has played the best and offered the Flames the best chance to win.

Maybe you should simmer down and think before you post, instead of trying to put words in my mouth,  this has nothing to do with the other goalies and how many games they are or aren't getting. It appears to me that Hartley is simply trying to win games.

Novel concept eh?? A coach trying to win as many games as he can by playing in the best  chance(goaltender) he thinks might get the job done. Talk about cutting edge thinking.... Thinking outside the box.... 

Personally I could care less when Ramo got his last start. I suspect Hartley doesn't think much about it either,  except in back to back situations and he still probably runs it by the other coaches first, then decides.

Edit:

On this discussion of Elite starts status or ratios:

The NHL record for consecutive games started by a goaltender(and finished) is:

Glenn Hall managed to play 502 consecutive complete games, which spanned eight seasons, an NHL record for goaltenders that is unlikely to ever be broken.

Maybe we should let Berra get a few more games than 11 under his belt before we start talking about elite anything..

I never said he is elite, will be elite, or should be considered elite. I never said you said he was elite. Honestly I am not sure where that is coming from. I said the rotation he is on is the kind normally reserved for elite goalies.

Since Berra has entered the NHL he has started more games then any other goalie in the NHL. Total start are misleading since he didn't start in the NHL. His game doesn't back that up. Meanwhile a goalie that we committed a two year contract hasn't had a start in over three weeks.

There is nothing in the above paragraph that is false, misleading, or complicated. It is a very simple point. And one that has raised more then just my eyebrows.

As for Hartley trying to win games, it isn't working. He shouldn't be trying to lose. But development and seeing what we have in the prospects needs to be a priority.

I never said he is elite, will be elite, or should be considered elite. I never said you said he was elite. Honestly I am not sure where that is coming from. I said the rotation he is on is the kind normally reserved for elite goalies.

It must have been the other kehatch that directly asked me this question then:

or

were you quoting me and intending that statement/question for someone else? You were the one who said he was getting elite goaltender minutes, not me.

I simply gave you the most likely answer why in that he is the goaltender of the 3(Berra, Ramo JMac) who the coaches feel gives us the best chance to win.

There is nothing in the above paragraph that is false, misleading, or complicated. It is a very simple point. And one that has raised more then just my eyebrows.

As for Hartley trying to win games, it isn't working. He shouldn't be trying to lose. But development and seeing what we have in the prospects needs to be a priority.

Since Berra has entered the NHL he has started more games then any other goalie in the NHL. Total start are misleading since he didn't start in the NHL. His game doesn't back that up. Meanwhile a goalie that we committed a two year contract hasn't had a start in over three weeks.

I already addressed earlier that Ramo has a 2 year contract. What is the rush? We haven't played a 3rd of the season yet or even a 6th of his contract.

We were told at the beginning of the year that there are 3 goaltenders in the running for the starting goaltenders job here. They seem to be dividing it up pretty even atm.

251094b8813d098613934ab2357d2d81.png

yet you are getting your panties all in a bunch all hyped up over the fact Berra has got his pretty much all in a row.

Ramo has twice as many games in his contract to prove his worth. Berra has half the games that Ramo has.

There is nothing elite about it. When you start talking Glenn Hall numbers of consecutive games started then lets talk about elite ratios of starts.

Edit:

Man this is frustrating. When you go back into a post to edit it you lose all the quote boxes and a lot of the highlighting stuff. In this case I had everything all sperated and quoted properly but when I went back in to highlight something all the quote boxes disappeared.

To distinguish who said what I now ended up putting in my replies in red above