s4xon

1 hour ago, Carty said:

Looks like Rittich has been called up and Gillies is back with the Heat...   https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-recall-david-rittich-from-stockton/c-288561052

The Heat are playing tonight.  Rittich played the last game for them.  The Heat are on the cusp of a playoff series.

I guess you also have to keep the guy playing who may be your NHL backup for the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Rittich and Andersson assigned to Stockton...

Don't necessarily need a 2nd goalie today.  B2B for the Heat and a couple critical games for them this week.

If CJ isn't back by Tuesday, will likely get one of them back here (or in Cali). 

11 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

If you insist to put cart before the horse then Gilles.

Johnson is not on longer term injury so expect him to be ready from his "lower body injury".

The coach and GM have been strangely silent about CJ.  He obviously wasn;t healthy enough for #82, since Rittich was an emergency recall.

I hope to hear he is back, cuz we need a NHL goalie as a backup.  Elliott will start every game as far as I can tell.

25 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

If you insist to put cart before the horse then Gilles.

Johnson is not on longer term injury so expect him to be ready from his "lower body injury".

Why yes, yes I do, lol.

Reports are vague, at best. To say he's back Tuesday, sure, okay. But, "the what if", is still there.

I just wonder (am asking) how close it is between Gillies and Rittich.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Why yes, yes I do, lol.

Reports are vague, at best. To say he's back Tuesday, sure, okay. But, "the what if", is still there.

I just wonder (am asking) how close it is between Gillies and Rittich.

Pretty close based on AHL results.  Rittich has better numbers, but Gillies has been really good recently.  Gillies played really well against the Kings, so I give him the edge as a potential backup.  That's just me though.  The Flames have more stake in Gillies, but they could just keep him in the AHL until they need him.  As a backup to Elliott, he wouldn;t get any playing time.  

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm thinking goaltending will be everything now.

Tbh, I don't think Elliott was horrendous at the start, I think the team was.

Just as now, I don't think Elliott's playing much different, the team is that much better.

#confuscious lol

I agree conundrumed to a degree, working into the system GG wanted them to play was a challenge for everyone. They were all kind of bad for a while there starting the season and I think GG isn't getting enough credit for guiding them through the tough start. He was patient and when he saw the mode heading in the wrong direction took charge by calling in the veteran leadership, then the team and challenged them. The responded in a positive way and it changed their season. Elliott and Johnson are good goalies in their own way and we will need better than average goaltending to win in the playoffs.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm thinking goaltending will be everything now.

Tbh, I don't think Elliott was horrendous at the start, I think the team was.

Just as now, I don't think Elliott's playing much different, the team is that much better.

#confuscious lol

The whole team was bad to start the season, Elliot let in a lot of bad goals but again that's likely the product of our D men being out of sync with our goalies and vice versa. The challenge for the Flames is Elliot has to be razor sharp, it's imperative. CJ likely won't be ready and even if he is he hasn't played in weeks. We'll need guys like Bouma to sacrifice themselves for some elite shot blocking, that 3rd pairing of Bartowski and Engelland will really need to be strong as well. Flames will need a bit of luck and prayer to pull this off, not an impossibility but their biggest challenge of the year. 

I never got CJ or Riittich...it's nothing against them, I just didn't see how they fit on the chess board, and I still don't.

But Elliot, he's good.  He'll come around.   Hopefully, he comes around starting next game.   He can win games for this team when he's on the ball.

Elliott so far these playoffs has a 3.67 GAA and a .887 save %, pretty hard to win when your goalie is putting up numbers like that.

I haven't been sold on Elliott all season and I don't think he should be brought back. There are better, younger goalies out there.

I have to agree on Elliott. Sure he can be great when he is on but he is off too much for a guy you want to be your number 1. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he was starting to play well in big games but I didn't love his play down the stretch and i really have not liked him in the playoffs, outside Game 1. 

Not the worst option a 1 or 2 year deal under 4 million but not the best either. Flames will need to work their options I think. 

9 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I never got CJ or Riittich...it's nothing against them, I just didn't see how they fit on the chess board, and I still don't.

But Elliot, he's good.  He'll come around.   Hopefully, he comes around starting next game.   He can win games for this team when he's on the ball.

Actually Rittich could end up being a crap shoot that paid off, I still want to see how he translates to the NHL, but he tore up the AHL this year. He could be hard to re-sign, he's on the radar now.

CJ, could be the key,   I was against it last year because of the cost , the cap and where we were at , but now I think you go all in on Bishop, and re- sign CJ as backup. . Bishop gets hurt , then CJ carries the load and Gillies gets more Big league games and takes over backup after next season.  If you have confidence, then maybe Gillies is your backup next year, but theres a big chance he'll have to carry the load if Bishop is out a few games.. like he always is .

For starters, Bishop is 7-0-2 lifetime against the Ducks (Elliot is 1-7-3). He's perennially good and playoff proven.and has a wining record against all but 4 teams.. and we are one of them 

Pending cost and term I have to agree that Bishop would be the preferred option.

However, cost and term will be important. Like to see someone for 3 years or less to give young guys a realistic time frame. Think Bishop winds up getting more term than that. 

Just now, cross16 said:

Pending cost and term I have to agree that Bishop would be the preferred option.

However, cost and term will be important. Like to see someone for 3 years or less to give young guys a realistic time frame. 

I think you get him on a 3..he's 30 and injury prone. You'll need to pay him, but i think 3 gets it..maybe 4. The only team with playoff potential that is looking at goaltending we may have to contend with are Dallas and Philly .. Dallas can only do it of they get someone to take both of their bad ones, and Philly has been burned on long term goalie saviors before and may shy away from the long term offers. Plus they still seem to be in love with Mason.

LV may throw money and term at him , but at his age I'd have to think hes not looking to be part of a build.

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think you get him on a 3..he's 30 and injury prone. You'll need to pay him, but i think 3 gets it..maybe 4. The only team with playoff potential that is looking at goaltending we may have to contend with are Dallas and Philly .. Dallas can only do it of they get someone to take both of their bad ones, and Philly has been burned on long term goalie saviors before and may shy away from the long term offers. Plus they still seem to be in love with Mason.

LV may throw money and term at him , but at his age I'd have to think hes not looking to be part of a build.

I would add Winnipeg to that list too. Sounds like people are getting antsy/frustrated with constantly being held back by goaltending. 

Depends on how the trade markets shakes out I guess but with at least 4 obvious suitors (Calgary, Dallas, Philly, WPG) plus maybe more I think it will be tough to get him for less than 4 and I really don't want to sign any goalie for 4 years.  

Bishop reportedly wanted $7-mil on long term.  I'm guessing that means 5 years at least.  I'm not sold we should go that route unless Gillies busts.  Gillies, if he pans out, wouldn't cost $7-mil for another 5 years.

Plus it was speculated the Flames were on Bishop's no trade list earlier this season.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Plus it was speculated the Flames were on Bishop's no trade list earlier this season.

True, although he even admitted he thought he was going to be a Flame last summer. So even if they were on there it sounds like he was ready to come here and wasn't going to block it.