s4xon

The only way you replace Hartley is if there's a coach better than him. No one is available yet. I remember wishing we could've gotten Quinville. I don't want to replace Hartley unless it's for a coach like Quinville. I am not saying exactly, because Quinville is boardering on being one of the best all-time now, so I don't expect that.

I want a demanding, X&Os systems kind of coach, someone who can adjust on the fly.

i wouldn't be upset at Carlyle actually ..his teams score , and do great defense

Have to side with those questioning Hartley.  His decision to keep coming back to Hiller is to me, giving up.  What message does that send to the skaters on this team when he keeps putting in a goalie who's obviously lost his confidence.  As a fan, I like it because I want the higher pick but it's got to be tough on the players when your coach isn't giving you the best chance to win.

i know this thread is getting way off topic, but .. i gotta admit Im also seriously disappointed In Hartley

basically hes too loyal to some people and at the same time won't take chances

How many time was Nak up before he was forced to play him only to find out he's good?

why the Love affair with Hiller?.. reluctance to play Ortio again , until he was forced to

Why so long to give Hamilton minutes and PP time?

until we made the playoffs last year , he would motivate and throw kids into learning situations, this year it was like he was afraid to lose, which unfortunately caused us to

I like Hartley , he was the nest thing to happen at the time..but I too believe his time has run its course

• Like 2

why ?.. won a cup with Anaheim..actually got the Leafs into the playoffs..nearly (aside from a Total Reimer meltdown) knocked off the future cup champs in game 7

I think he is an idiot.  Is that enough of a reason?  How about him being a miserable SOB?  

• Like 1

Damien Cox (@DamoSpin) tweeted at 8:18 PM on Thu, Mar 31, 2016:

CGY trying hard to sign FA Yale goalie Alex Lyon. They're not alone, but haven't been told they're out of the running.

Question is whether Lyon sees Jon Gillies and Mason McDonald already in the CGY system blocking his way.

CGY trying hard to sign FA Yale goalie Alex Lyon. They're not alone, but haven't been told they're out of the running.

Question is whether Lyon sees Jon Gillies and Mason McDonald already in the CGY system blocking his way.

Hmm could be an interesting addition. I dont know anything about the kid, but his gaa and save pct look great. Im not sure yale is a great hockey team so they are some pretty good numbers.

I don't think the situation with the team is any different than with us fans. We hope heading out onto the ice they do their best to win the game, if they don't so what. If you have ever coached any competitive team, once out of the playoff picture the interest and performance levels drop off. This is what we are watching now. In the meantime BH is trying to have a look at what he has for next season, aren't we all ?

I believe BH is under no threat of losing his job however the offseason analysis will reveal all the areas they need to vastly improve and that may cause some assistant coaching changes.

On the player performance side, we need obviously way better goaltending, nastier defensemen and more size and skill upfront with some truculence thrown in. We have no shutdown game and to return to what was suppose to be a priority this year and improvement in our puck possession. The other team can't score if they don't have the puck.

Lots of teams have multiple goalie prospects.  If a goalie is good enough, it doesn't matter what is already in a team's system.   

He sounds like a top prospect to me, and would be ahead of MacDonald.  He would be at Gillies level.

Here's an article about him....

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2016/03/30/mens-hockey-lyon-17-star-goaltender-to-depart-for-nhl/

Upside wise, Lyon is behind both MacDonald and Gilles IMO. Similar athelticism, but from what i've seen (which i'll admit is limited on Lyon) his athleticism is not better than either McDonald or Gilles and both MacDonald and Gilles have the size advantage, so I think Lyon is behind both IMO.

However, Lyon is likely more NHL ready which I think is where the Flames see the advantage. The downside to the Flames goalie situation next year is that if you were to run Gilles/MacDonald at the AHL level, you are 1 injury or slump away from needing one of them at the NHL level which is a situation I think the Flames want to avoid. Brining in someone like Lyon I think is necessary in order to have that extra depth and someone that you don't mind if they have to come up and sit on the bench a bit. 

I find college goalie stats to be vet misleading, as almost every goalie in the NCAA puts up seemingly great stats.

Lyon though was tops in GAA and 2nd in Save%.

I don't know if I would pencil him in ahead of McDonald just yet, but he does have very solid upside, otherwise I don't think you would see 12 teams chasing him down.

I wonder if Kenny Agostino could put in a good word for us. They played together during Agostino's last season at Yale, Lyon's first season at Yale.

Upside wise, Lyon is behind both MacDonald and Gilles IMO. Similar athelticism, but from what i've seen (which i'll admit is limited on Lyon) his athleticism is not better than either McDonald or Gilles and both MacDonald and Gilles have the size advantage, so I think Lyon is behind both IMO.

However, Lyon is likely more NHL ready which I think is where the Flames see the advantage. The downside to the Flames goalie situation next year is that if you were to run Gilles/MacDonald at the AHL level, you are 1 injury or slump away from needing one of them at the NHL level which is a situation I think the Flames want to avoid. Brining in someone like Lyon I think is necessary in order to have that extra depth and someone that you don't mind if they have to come up and sit on the bench a bit. 

I wonder if a pairing of Lyon and ortio would be able to handle the load together next season, if lyon is actually NHL ready. I dont think macdonald goes pro unless they decide to play him in the ECHL. Although I would probably bring a veteran goalie to camp such as ramo to run against lyon/ortio to see who is most ready for the NHL next year. I dont know if that will possible because Ramo will be looking for term in his contract I would assume, but it would probably be the best case scenario.

I wonder if a pairing of Lyon and ortio would be able to handle the load together next season, if lyon is actually NHL ready. I dont think macdonald goes pro unless they decide to play him in the ECHL. Although I would probably bring a veteran goalie to camp such as ramo to run against lyon/ortio to see who is most ready for the NHL next year. I dont know if that will possible because Ramo will be looking for term in his contract I would assume, but it would probably be the best case scenario.

This would be worse than going into this season. 

Wondering if Lyon/Ortio could handle next year?

Umm NOOOOO on all levels.

and  No to Ramo and either one of these two as our tandem.......

This would be worse than going into this season. 

Wondering if Lyon/Ortio could handle next year?

Umm NOOOOO on all levels.

and  No to Ramo and either one of these two as our tandem.......

Why no? I dont think ortio has been bad at all, hes been consistent in the second half of the season for the most part, even last night agianst LA he looked good. Ramo was doing just fine for the stretch of games he played before he got hurt, actually he was very consistent. A tandem of ramo and ortio would not be as bad as you think in my opinion.

I have to agree with DD.

Going into the season with a rookie goalie who has never played in the NHL and a goalie who IMO has clearly demonstrated he isn't a starter is a receipe for disaster. Especialy considering I can't think of any goalie who went straight from college into the NHL and played well. 

I have to agree with DD.

Going into the season with a rookie goalie who has never played in the NHL and a goalie who IMO has clearly demonstrated he isn't a starter is a receipe for disaster. Especialy considering I can't think of any goalie who went straight from college into the NHL and played well. 

Well I dont think we are going to go out into free agency and sign a big goalie. SO unless we make a trade for a guy like andersen we will more then likely have ramo, orito, gillies and maybe this kid lyon competing for jobs next year.

Why no? I dont think ortio has been bad at all, hes been consistent in the second half of the season for the most part, even last night agianst LA he looked good. Ramo was doing just fine for the stretch of games he played before he got hurt, actually he was very consistent. A tandem of ramo and ortio would not be as bad as you think in my opinion.

Sorry but to me half a season isn't consistent at all. Same goes for Ramo as he started out just as bad or worse.

Ramo and Ortio were both bad enough the Flames sent them through waivers.

We need goaltending. We can't try to make do in hopes Gilles or another prospect steps up. What if they don't? We would waste another couple of years. I think the Flames should go get a "better than average goaltender" no matter what the costs. It might cost us Backs, and it shouldn't cost us core.