s4xon

Neither Hiller or Backstrom should ever start in net for the Flames again...     EVER !!!

I would honestly rather see this guy in net...   and I have no doubt that it would be an upgrade...

23cd0d483909ef840e01a0ff83fe4459.png

I do not understand the decision to nominate Jonas into this match. Ok, have a goalkeeper who will not be with team next season and has been struggling lately. So we put "sleepig B-team" and let goalie get caught in a proper thrashing - from his original team (one of best NHL teams right now)? Or it was oportunity to play in Honda Center again? We allready know, that Ducks can paly against Hiller well and Flames can´t win here... Realy don´t understand :( .

In games against the Kings he always served good performances. If coach wanted to give him the opportunity, this would be a good match ;) .

• Like 1

You do..and i get the whole last start against the old team thing .. but seriously , they have owned him since he came here..even last year when he was good..

I'd get it if he was good against the Ducks, but in (one of) his last game(s) he received a thrashing at the hands of the team that dumped him and if that wasn't a bad enough memory, he got yanked after 6 minutes and 51 seconds. That's got to feel awful. The Flames put him in a situation in which he was going to fail or he put himself in it if he requested this game. Play him against the Nucks. He'd at least have a chance and if he blows it... well we're one loss closer to the draft lottery.  

• Like 1

I'd get it if he was good against the Ducks, but in (one of) his last game(s) he received a thrashing at the hands of the team that dumped him and if that wasn't a bad enough memory, he got yanked after 6 minutes and 51 seconds. That's got to feel awful. The Flames put him in a situation in which he was going to fail or he put himself in it if he requested this game. Play him against the Nucks. He'd at least have a chance and if he blows it... well we're one loss closer to the draft lottery.  

Why should the Vancouver game be any different than this one ? Is he going to feel any different if the same thing happens there ? I think the Universe is showing us two goalies that will not be back. The schedule they drew up gave Backstrom and Hiller the opportunity to play against their previous teams and shine, it didn't turn out. Move on.

It was good to see Hiller and Backstrom get their last starts out of the way vs ANA. :ph34r:

Ortio is making a case for himself for the backup position next year.  The next 5 games will go a long way in determining that.  If he maintains his current level of play, a simple qualifying offer (10% ?) by the Flames would likely mean the end of Ortio as he would surely find greener pastures over$ea$?

I do not understand the decision to nominate Jonas into this match. Ok, have a goalkeeper who will not be with team next season and has been struggling lately. So we put "sleepig B-team" and let goalie get caught in a proper thrashing - from his original team (one of best NHL teams right now)? Or it was oportunity to play in Honda Center again? We allready know, that Ducks can paly against Hiller well and Flames can´t win here... Realy don´t understand :( .

In games against the Kings he always served good performances. If coach wanted to give him the opportunity, this would be a good match ;) .

I agree.

Is it really necessary to shred every last ounce of dignity he has?

I thought it was ignoble from the moment it was announced, and it remained so.

We know we're not signing him, so what is the point we're trying to make at this juncture, that we hate his guts??

• Like 1

It was good to see Hiller and Backstrom get their last starts out of the way vs ANA. :ph34r:

Ortio is making a case for himself for the backup position next year.  The next 5 games will go a long way in determining that.  If he maintains his current level of play, a simple qualifying offer (10% ?) by the Flames would likely mean the end of Ortio as he would surely find greener pastures over$ea$?

Bear in mind that Backstrom will likely get the start against Minny in game# 82.  He isn't owed it, but it makes sense to give him the opportunity for payback.  Starting or not starting Ortio in game 82 will not make a difference to Ortio signing or not.

Handicapping the remaining games:

BOA game - Hiller

Kings - Ortio

Canucks - Hiller

Wild - Backstrom

Nothing to do with Always Earned.  More to do with Organizational conscience.  Hiller was lights out in Y1, and then fell off the map.  Backstrom is about honoring a NTC request, and letting a guy retire on top.

Bear in mind that Backstrom will likely get the start against Minny in game# 82.  He isn't owed it, but it makes sense to give him the opportunity for payback.  Starting or not starting Ortio in game 82 will not make a difference to Ortio signing or not.

Handicapping the remaining games:

BOA game - Hiller

Kings - Ortio

Canucks - Hiller

Wild - Backstrom

Nothing to do with Always Earned.  More to do with Organizational conscience.  Hiller was lights out in Y1, and then fell off the map.  Backstrom is about honoring a NTC request, and letting a guy retire on top.

The organizations conscience should be saying that they owe every other skater on a given nights roster better goaltending than what either Hiller or Backstrom has been delivering...   They owe them the best chance to win these games by playing the goalie that gives the team that chance...

Backstrom could have retired on top a couple of years ago, and chose not to, and Hiller should seriously consider hanging up the skates...   Both of them are being paid very well to do a job they are no longer capable of doing...

Backstrom was promised that he would get 2 games, and he has already been given 53 min more than that...   Hiller has already been given far too much rope, and he hung himself with it quite a while back...

Another way to look at it is by not playing either Hiller or Backstrom again, it would save them from further embarrassment...  Last night should have been more than enough humiliation for both of them to endure...

The organizations conscience should be saying that they owe every other skater on a given nights roster better goaltending than what either Hiller or Backstrom has been delivering...   They owe them the best chance to win these games by playing the goalie that gives the team that chance...

Backstrom could have retired on top a couple of years ago, and chose not to, and Hiller should seriously consider hanging up the skates...   Both of them are being paid very well to do a job they are no longer capable of doing...

Backstrom was promised that he would get 2 games, and he has already been given 53 min more than that...   Hiller has already been given far too much rope, and he hung himself with it quite a while back...

Another way to look at it is by not playing either Hiller or Backstrom again, it would save them from further embarrassment...  Last night should have been more than enough humiliation for both of them to endure...

The whole team should be embarrassed but give Gibson some credit we had our chances early and he stoned us. Too many mistakes all over the ice last night.

(Checks schedule)......

Nope, I am right.  Always scheduled, always given.  ;)

I think the right thing is to play Ortio until he gets the hook in a game.  And then go back to him the next game.  You could see the team almost collapse after the two quick goals.  They barely made it to the intermission.  At least in the 2nd, they were trying to come back, and leaving themselves exposed as a result.

The whole team should be embarrassed but give Gibson some credit we had our chances early and he stoned us. Too many mistakes all over the ice last night.

I give Gibson a lot of credit, his SV% was 1.0 last night as he went 21/21...   I wish he was on the Flames...   Andersen let in 3 goals on 5 shots, same as Hiller...

Most of the blame for the blowout last night goes to Hiller and Backstrom for poor goaltending, all 3 were shots Hiller should have stopped, and Backstrom was not much better...   Hartley gets the finger pointed at him for relying on those two to stop the puck...

58c16b057790c4984b20e43c56adfcc6.png

The Flames just tied the NHL record at 23 straight losses against the same team and sunk to a new low this season by a couple of goals for goals scored against...   If Hartley was dumb enough to start Hiller last night he should have at least had Ortio on the bench and not Backstrom...

Hartley might not look so dumb come June....

don't mean for this to insult anyone, but I think at this point you'd have to be pretty naive to not think that draft position isn't factoring in to who they start in net. If they wanted to win every game or at least put their best chance to win every game they woudl start Ortio, but they don't want to do that. 

I'm not saying they are trying to lose so if you want to start coming at me with the "Flames will never lose on purpose" argument I completely agree. I don't think they want to lose, but they also are not upset when they do anymore. They are just seeing what they have for next year and choosing that rather let guys rot on the bench and try to win, they would rather let everyone play and see what happens. Right thing to do IMO

• Like 1

don't mean for this to insult anyone, but I think at this point you'd have to be pretty naive to not think that draft position isn't factoring in to who they start in net. If they wanted to win every game or at least put their best chance to win every game they woudl start Ortio, but they don't want to do that.

They'll never let the players effort sufffer, nor will they let the effort of the goalies suffer either so I have nothing against what they are doing, but no questions in my mind thats exactly what they are doing.

I don't think Hartley is trying to lose. But I do think he has prioritized development, veteran favours, etc ahead of winning.

But my concerns about Hartley are less do do about last night and much more to do about the entire season.

I don't think Hartley is trying to lose. But I do think he has prioritized development, veteran favours, etc ahead of winning.

But my concerns about Hartley are less do do about last night and much more to do about the entire season.

Exactly and I amended my post. I don't think at all he is trying to lose but rather he just doesn't really care about winning at this point which makes sense IMO for multiple reasons. 

They'll never let the players effort sufffer, nor will they let the effort of the goalies suffer either so I have nothing against what they are doing, but no questions in my mind thats exactly what they are doing. 

Yup.   They're tanking.   Haven't seen another sensible explanation on here.

I'm okay with long term management decisions over short term ones (trades at the trade deadline etc).

I'm actually NOT okay with coaching decisions to tank.

Over and over and over in this thread, especially at the start of the season, we excused some Brutal decisions with goaltenders due to "Hartley's job is to win".

And that, I do agree with.   But what's happening now, I don't.  

Hartley has been making poor coaching decisions for the entire season...

He has reached his 4 year expiry date, same as he did with the Thrashers and the Avalanche...

Hartley has been making poor coaching decisions for the entire season...

He has reached his 4 year expiry date, same as he did with the Thrashers and the Avalanche...

Don't disagree, but I don't think what he has done with the goalies the last month or so is one of them. I would actually argue the opposite I think he's done a very good job managing the goalies since Ramo went down. 

I'm not a Hartley guy, never was, so I get the dislike and in fact would support getting a new coach in the offseason so I get the Anit-hartley movement. 

I'm not absolutely sold that Hartley is a bad coach. 

Many of our team IS having career years, and we are one of the fitter teams in the league. 

Hartley has made some very bad decisions with personnel use (goaltenders, Vetrans etc). 

But I think that the first step is replacing our goaltending coach and starting tender (Ortio can stay if he's willing to take 660-750), and finding an assistant coach for special teams. 

If we still continue to underperform through the first half of next season he must be replaced. 

He's on thin ice, but he's also had some issues to work with with what's available (6 contracts tying up 18 million sort of force you to play most of them)

I'm no longer a fan of his though and have my doubts. 

I've decided to put this in the Goaltending forum instead of Stockton only because we seem to have the same issues on the big club.

Huska is on the fan as I write this, talking about how Poulin has been bumped/run more than any goalie he had ever seen. This is why he's day to day with an upper body injury. Good we get to see Schneider, but the bumps our goalies get are quite troubling to me.

Even in the big club I feel like other teams don't pay for their extra stick shots or bumps on our goalies. We say that it's harder to protect the net now with the rules, but I find other teams always let us know it's not ok after the whistle.

• Like 1

I'm personally not in favour of replacing Hartley at this time; but I am curious as to who everyone thinks would be a good fit for the Flames next Head Coach.

I don't follow coaching contracts so I'm not sure who is/may be available.

The only way you replace Hartley is if there's a coach better than him. No one is available yet. I remember wishing we could've gotten Quinville. I don't want to replace Hartley unless it's for a coach like Quinville. I am not saying exactly, because Quinville is boardering on being one of the best all-time now, so I don't expect that.

I want a demanding, X&Os systems kind of coach, someone who can adjust on the fly.