s4xon

It sucks for Ramo and I feel bad for him. A silver lining is it could be good for the Flames. He may be forced to sign another 1 year deal and that could be a solid plan B if we can't find a starter before July 1.

I want a legitimate starter. But barring that I don't mind Ramo on a 1 season deal. I don't want him on a deal with term though and this injury could make a 1 year realistic.

Hoping this doesn't end the career of the guy.  He really just started warming up, and I do much prefer his style of play over Hiller's.  It's more attuned to Kipper's style.

I find both Hiller and Ortio's styles similar. I guess more to the fact that they both go down. Hiller is always on his knees. Ortio always leaves his corners open. 

Horrible timing for Ramo to go down. Had finally gotten out of his slump and was playing arguably his best of his career. 

This injury itself could be career ending for some goalies, and especially given his overall stats for the year he's going to have a hard time getting a contract next year. 

Which might not make him a bad option to re-sign. We could get a hefty discount, and could either get great goaltending, or at the very least not be handicapped by a large contract if he doesn't work out. 

I think this season spells the end of Hilller's career for different reasons though. 

It sucks for Ramo and I feel bad for him. A silver lining is it could be good for the Flames. He may be forced to sign another 1 year deal and that could be a solid plan B if we can't find a starter before July 1.

I want a legitimate starter. But barring that I don't mind Ramo on a 1 season deal. I don't want him on a deal with term though and this injury could make a 1 year realistic.

If the team makes an offer to him, I think this might bring his asking price down too.

I find both Hiller and Ortio's styles similar. I guess more to the fact that they both go down. Hiller is always on his knees. Ortio always leaves his corners open. 

Hiller is described as a blocking tender.  He positions himself to be in the way of the shot, not make too many movements.  He stays on his knees when the play is near the net, to protect the lower half.  He plays very deep in the crease, and sometimes is trying to stop the puck inside the net.  The top corners are exposed.

Ramo is a traditional butterfly (IMHO).  He has the athletic ability to react and catch a lot of shots.  His problem area is overplaying the puck or getting too far out of the crease.  He was working in that after he came back from the AHL.

The more we play Hiller, the more I'm sure we're trying to Matthews. 

Ortio may not be what we all once hoped he would be, but I'm pretty sure he couldn't be worse than Hiller is right now. No matter what he is, we should be trying to find out. We know what Ramo has. We know what Hiller has (or rather doesn't). Ortio is still partly a question mark. 

Hiller is used to be described as a blocking tender.  He tries to positions himself to be in the way of the shot, not make too many and doesn't have enough movements and this technique is working for him about 80% of the time, which is far from being good enough.   

Couldn't help myself...   :ph34r:

Ortio has done nothing to earn a chance.  But Hiller has done everything to lose the spot.  Not a great choice.  Personally I would go with Ortio.  Might as well spend the next 20 or so games figuring out what we have in him. 

But I think Hartley is making it up to Hiller for the lack of starts earlier in contract year.  Giving him the same chance he gave Ramo.  Which is really the tone this year.  "Get the veteran going" is the mantra.  Definitely not "Always earned"

"Sometimes I feel like I am beating a dead horse..." GNR song quote. But going with Hiller yet again. Guess he has absolutely no confidence in Ortio.

I don't like Ortio, but right now I don't like Hiller just as much and maybe I think hiller's play should warrant Ortio a try.

I don't think that starting Hiller tonight says anything about his thoughts on Ortio. 

I think starting Hiller tonight has everything to do with giving a vet a chance to turn things around in his head.

If BH had no faith at all in Ortio they likely would not have called him up.

Edit: Where is our goaltending coach and what is he effectively doing to help our goaltending situation?

JJ  Interesting goalies perspective on training from DD to read.

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-devan-dubnyk-james-reimer-goalie-training/c-278977846

566a5130f42f1e7831862adf031a382e.png

• Like 1

I don't think that starting Hiller tonight says anything about his thoughts on Ortio.

I think starting Hiller tonight has everything to do with giving a vet a chance to turn things around in his head.

Edit: Where is our goaltending coach and what is he effectively doing to help our goaltending situation?

JJ Interesting goalies perspective on training from DD to read.

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-devan-dubnyk-james-reimer-goalie-training/c-278977846

Hartley has had many opportunities to play Ortio and has chosen not to each time. I don't think he does have faith in him. I think the call up has more to do with not wanting to expose Poulin to waivers then it is faith in Ortio.

JJ Interesting goalies perspective on training from DD to read.

Had the Fan on the way home from work just now. Hartley said he was in fact giving Hiller the same chance Ramo got when Hiller went down earlier this year. He feels he owes him that.

Hartley also said that Ortio hasn't played as good as he could this year, but puts in a lot of work in practice. It sounds like Ortio still needs to gain the confidence of coaches.

I agree about the goalie coaches, I know they're not psychologists, but it's almost the part of the game that needs good coaching to help them out during slumps, as much as they need help with position.

We could use an overhaul on all aspects of goaltending, goalie coach included.

Hiller has a crazy good record against Vancouver and that could be why he is playing tonight. In 2 starts this year he has a .954 save% and a 1.46 GAA, with 2 wins.

Hope Hiller picks up a shutout tonight with scouts watching.  You know what I mean...

And that's why I think Hiller will get ALL of the starts between now and TDL.

Hartley has had many opportunities to play Ortio and has chosen not to each time. I don't think he does have faith in him. I think the call up has more to do with not wanting to expose Poulin to waivers then it is faith in Ortio.

Maybe Kehatch but I still think that up until the trade deadline, that Hiller and this group of starts is all about trying to give him the opportunity to get his game back together.

Ortio will get his chance after that. I am beginning to think the Flames are now reaching an end with Ortio and this is his last opportunity.

As for Poulin he is almost identical to Ortio. RFA end of season. That might mean a call up later or another contract offer who knows. 

Where is our goaltending coach and what is he effectively doing to help our goaltending situation?

I have not been impressed with Sigalet and I never thought too highly of his predecessor Malarchuk either...

Finding an upgrade for a goaltending coach is another issue that I think the Flames need to address...

That said, at 34 years old, a good coach might be able to help Hiller with the psychological side of things, but I just don`t see Hiller making any big changes/improvements with the mechanics or the reflex speed...

Hiller has been poor at tracking pucks all year. Do we not have goalie coaches that see that? I don't get how, all year long, 1 goalie gets beat on a long high wrister from the point. How do you go a whole NHL year with a vet goalie that can't track a puck very well, or comprehend where it's coming from and where it'll go?

I can't help but assume the goalie coaches are lacking...it's just angle stuff for gawdsakes.

I think the Flames knew right away Ramo was done for the year so whoever they were calling up was going to be here the rest of the way so waivers wouldn't have mattered. I think it's as simple as the flames have invested in Ortio so need to see what they've got and they have little invested in Poulin.

I think we will see Ortio get some games.

More than likely Ortio will be released at the end of the season and will be playing in Europe next year. Poulin has outplayed him since he joined our franchise, and with Gillies, Mason MacDonald etc, there just isn't room for him. He has not proven himself to be consistent enough to play in this league. He's called up because Poulin needs to get lots of work in the AHL to get better and Hiller needs to play a lot to hopefully boost his trade value. I would not be surprised if neither of them (Hiller or Ortio) are in training camp with the Flames next season. Perhaps Hartley owes Hiller a chance to hopefully extend his career, but it most likely will not be with us.

More than likely Ortio will be released at the end of the season and will be playing in Europe next year. Poulin has outplayed him since he joined our franchise, and with Gillies, Mason MacDonald etc, there just isn't room for him. He has not proven himself to be consistent enough to play in this league. He's called up because Poulin needs to get lots of work in the AHL to get better and Hiller needs to play a lot to hopefully boost his trade value. I would not be surprised if neither of them (Hiller or Ortio) are in training camp with the Flames next season. Perhaps Hartley owes Hiller a chance to hopefully extend his career, but it most likely will not be with us.

There is plenty of room for him. We don't have a legitimate NHL goalie under contract next season. But I agree that the Poulin has outplayed him and this is likely Ortios last season as a Flame.