s4xon

For me it has never been about the quantity of shots. We can throw 40 shots on net, but a guy like Tkachuk says they’ve made it easy on the other goalie - because those shots arent from areas to cause concern. 

Alternatively, we can limit shots, but the untimely chances we give up on things like giveaways end up being a worry for me. But we’re out scoring the mistakes so hopefully that can continue. 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

For me it has never been about the quantity of shots. We can throw 40 shots on net, but a guy like Tkachuk says they’ve made it easy on the other goalie - because those shots arent from areas to cause concern. 

Alternatively, we can limit shots, but the untimely chances we give up on things like giveaways end up being a worry for me. But we’re out scoring the mistakes so hopefully that can continue. 

Why I'm a fan of turning the D around in the O zone. Split it half and half to keep them guessing. They pressure our D or entry up high, is what leads to breakaways and 2-on-1's going the other way. That stuff can't happen come playoffs, because we all know it does happen during the playoffs and can be game/series changers.

DON'T TURN IT OVER AT THEIR BLUELINE. What do I have to yell. lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Why I'm a fan of turning the D around in the O zone. Split it half and half to keep them guessing. They pressure our D or entry up high, is what leads to breakaways and 2-on-1's going the other way. That stuff can't happen come playoffs, because we all know it does happen during the playoffs and can be game/series changers.

Exactly, we need to limit those because we control the rest of the game. And I think that the other team end up content with Satoshi Nakamototing down the top lines and waiting for that mistake.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Exactly, we need to limit those because we control the rest of the game. And I think that the other team end up content with Satoshi Nakamototing down the top lines and waiting for that mistake.

I'm excited. We've got a really good team. Hopefully they stay loose. We can beat anyone over 7 games.

We have 3 solid lines, one in flux, good D, 2 worthy goalies.

Why not us?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The guys most likely to turn it over at the blue line:

Gio - a few situations come to mind; hits the defender in the shins or breaks stick or has zero time to make the play, can recover but takes penalties

Brodie - tends to get picked off or gets turned the wrong way, has the speed to recover unless he's skating like he's stuck in mud (witness last game)

Hanifin - poor hand-eye coordination at times on the boards, has the spped but doesn;t play the shooter that well.

The guys most likely to keep it in:

Ras - I've seen him miss one the entire time I have been watching him.

Hamonic - takes the body over a high risk move.

Fanta - not enough data.  Haven;t seen him get burned, though I could have missed it.  

Unfortunately, these guys will be studied, looking for weakness or tendencies.  Easy solution.  Back off if you have a nothing play.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I'm excited. We've got a really good team. Hopefully they stay loose. We can beat anyone over 7 games.

Why not us?

Yup! The West is for the taking. I think you’re right about beating any team, especially when we play “our game.” 

When we are engaged and motivated to compete I think we have to potential to be unstoppable. And that’s where I come from when negative. I want more when I know they can do better. 

That being said, I don’t expect them to go 16-0. 

Its gonna be good.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Unfortunately, these guys will be studied, looking for weakness or tendencies.  Easy solution.  Back off if you have a nothing play.

I think that’s really important and a big part of hockey iq, understanding situations and when to do things, when to make a smart play or when to take a chance.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I think that’s really important and a big part of hockey iq, understanding situations and when to do things, when to make a smart play or when to take a chance.

Hanifin has zero playoff experience.

He's my biggest worry about taking chances that are not there.

Gio, while he only has 4 playoff games, knows the risks.

Brodie is a little laid back, but should be dialed up.

Ras, I have no worries.

Fanta has more experience as a shut down guy.

Hammer is fine.

I would actually prefer Hanifin take the puck deep and have a forward cover his spot.

Or have Hammer hold the line and Hanifin back off.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Why not us?

I’m excited too!

Not sure what all this worrying is about.

You ask why not us? The only reason I can think of is TB, and there is no guarantee they come out of their conference.😀

16 wins, one at a time, that’s all it’s going to take.

10 days to prepare with 3 practice games in between.

We are in excellent shape, with the easiest first round.

6 hours ago, CheersMan said:

I’m excited too!

Not sure what all this worrying is about.

You ask why not us? The only reason I can think of is TB, and there is no guarantee they come out of their conference.😀

16 wins, one at a time, that’s all it’s going to take.

10 days to prepare with 3 practice games in between.

We are in excellent shape, with the easiest first round.

I think so too. I think it's the easiest, but is it going to be as easy as Canucks 1st round was for us a few years ago? I think it could be a touch harder. 

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think so too. I think it's the easiest, but is it going to be as easy as Canucks 1st round was for us a few years ago? I think it could be a touch harder. 

Don't want ot be a debbie downer but the West is wide wide open.  Any of the teams can beat each other.  League is really close nowadays and you only have to look back to 89 to see how close a 1st round series can be!    However over 7 games I like our chances especially in our division.   Whoever comes out of the central is going to be a hard matchup.   

I want to see us cement runner up in the league so when TBL get knocked out in the second round we get home ice throughout!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Don't want ot be a debbie downer but the West is wide wide open.  Any of the teams can beat each other.  League is really close nowadays and you only have to look back to 89 to see how close a 1st round series can be!    However over 7 games I like our chances especially in our division.   Whoever comes out of the central is going to be a hard matchup.   

I want to see us cement runner up in the league so when TBL get knocked out in the second round we get home ice throughout!!

I feel the same way. I didn’t want to be a downer either, which I don’t thing is but see how others might think it.

Last 15 starts

Mike Smith:

9-5-1 .917 Save%

11-1-4 .931 Save% vs Colorado

David Rittich:

9-4-1 .901 Save%

3-1-0 .908 Save% vs Colorado

I have been saying that Rittich should be the starter, but Smith is the hot hand right now and he has a great history vs Colorado.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Last 15 starts

Mike Smith:

9-5-1 .917 Save%

David Rittich:

9-4-1 .901 Save%

I have been saying that Rittich should be the starter, but Smith is the hot hand right now and he has a great history vs Colorado.

I must have missed those great games that Smith played against COL.  :D

Not this year.  5 goals against in his only start.

Not last year.  Did play against them.

I'm not saying it should be either goalie, just that your stats don;t back up anything.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I must have missed those great games that Smith played against COL.  :D

Not this year.  5 goals against in his only start.

Not last year.  Did play against them.

I'm not saying it should be either goalie, just that your stats don;t back up anything.

I prefer going with the experience factor at least to start the playoffs so its Smith for me. Both goalies are playing well enough to start and like the team I have every confidence in Rittich to step in a play well should Smith not play well.

13 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Last 15 starts

Mike Smith:

9-5-1 .917 Save%

David Rittich:

9-4-1 .901 Save%

Last 15 starts:

Smith

8 against teams that look playoff bound 

Rittich

10 of 15 against teams that look playoff bound.

I'm not sure I agree with the "hot hand" approach. I personally think smith's stats are padded based on who he has played but I also fully expect Smith to be game 1 starter. I just really hope that isn't a mistake. 

On 2019-04-01 at 4:26 PM, conundrumed said:

Why not us?

I am totally stoked man. I was here for '89 and '04, and they were amazing times. This city is about to go bananas if they push through to the second round.

• Like 2

Page 444 of the goalie thread, and we are still looking for the next starter for next year.

If Rittich is to be that guy next year, why are we talking about Smith?

Just saying.

Put your season on the line with a guy that is probably done this summer or the guy you scouted and built to where he is today.

The guy guaranteed to be here next season.

Just now, MAC331 said:

You must be really old. LOL

I am old if 50 is old, which it is. I graduated when the Flames nearly won it in '86. I was drunk as a skunk for the '89 championship, which happened in undergrad. That was awesome as everyone had a Flames jersey or a greaser jersey. If you gave a greaser student a hard time, you instantly made 10 Flames friends who chimed in to help you. '04 was amazing with the Red Mile, Cinderella story etc.

So, this city is about to lose its mind, and I don't think younger Calgarians are aware of what is about to happen. If we push past the first round, and I believe we have the talent to do so, this is going to be a serious par-teh. Treliving has assembled a pretty good team that has the ability to gel and play over their heads. 

Good times man, good times.

• Like 1