s4xon

Just now, travel_dude said:

Not the best place to discuss, but of those teams:

ANA - Erikkson-Ek (G) + Silfverberg for Bennett

TBL - Palat for Stone + Bennett (cap reasons)

MTL - Druin for Stone + Bennett (cap reasons)

PHI - Vecchione + Lyon (G) for Bennett

Price is high, but that's what I'm looking for those team to cough up.  :) 

My bad thought I clicked on the Bennett thread, but evidently not haha

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Friedman rumour mongering again, mentioned today in 31 thoughts, ANA, MTL, TB, PHI and MTL as teams with interest in Bennett

He said those were teams that had inquired about him over the years. Kicking the tires in the past does not = a trade rumor.

So MTL inquired twice? You list them twice. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

He said those were teams that had inquired about him over the years. Kicking the tires in the past does not = a trade rumor.

So MTL inquired twice? You list them twice. :lol:

They have re-doubled their effort.  :) 

Drouin wouldn't be a bad choice.

That would give us #3, #5 and #6 from that draft year.

On 2018-10-10 at 11:20 AM, travel_dude said:

You are right.  We should not concerned giving up 43 shots, low quality or crashing the net, regardless of when.

Was it a bad game?  No.

Was it their best defensive game.  No.

Agree to disagree.

EDIT

Ignore the snide comment above.  Just suggesting that we really need to reel it in a bit.  Smith shouldn't have to face that many shots.

I fully agree that should not be a long term trend.  I just believe that between score effects for most of the game, the “extra” 4 shots on the 5on3 and the opponent being the very best offensive D in the whole league... that only 43 shots was very good.  Against the “average” team with those conditions it would most likely be down around 30.  Agree to disagree.  Tonight I’d expect fewer shots because of the team but in-game effects matter a lot.

Smith is starting tonight, I really hope they go with Rittich on Saturday regardless of how Smith does tonight. I think we need to know where Rittich is at, we also need to keep Smith's games down. 

I am just worried that we are going to keep rolling out Smith and we are going to wear him out by the all star break last year.

Not worth getting upset about, but I think its disappointing Smith is starting tonight. This is the same trap this organization seems to fall into all the time it's always "we'll start him next game" and then next game never comes and Smith plays 15-20 games in a row.

So feels like an overreaction but i'm just not sure I can give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Smith is starting tonight, I really hope they go with Rittich on Saturday regardless of how Smith does tonight. I think we need to know where Rittich is at, we also need to keep Smith's games down. 

I am just worried that we are going to keep rolling out Smith and we are going to wear him out by the all star break last year.

Mans possibly have Rittich as cold as ice coming in. It has already been quite awhile since he got a start

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not worth getting upset about, but I think its disappointing Smith is starting tonight. This is the same trap this organization seems to fall into all the time it's always "we'll start him next game" and then next game never comes and Smith plays 15-20 games in a row.

So feels like an overreaction but i'm just not sure I can give them the benefit of the doubt.

I wouldn't give him 15-20 in a row, but id give him 7 straight for sure, including tonight and the next 3. Light schedule to start the season.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Mans possibly have Rittich as cold as ice coming in. It has already been quite awhile since he got a start

It's Rittich's job to be ready at all times. If he is unable to do that then we need to find another backup. This is not a 1A/1B. This is a 1 and 2. 

42 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think it's less about rolling with Smith as it is seeing if his game has developed consistency or just a one-off.

Would have been a good time to test out Rittich, but Sigalet wants to see Smith.

I also expect that Rittich will get two games in a row.

STL - Smith

COL - Rittich

BOS - Rittich

NSH - Smith

NYR - Smith

MTL - Rittich

It only makes sense to split 2 to 1.  You can't fall into the trap of 4 or 5 in a row.

16 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

I wouldn't give him 15-20 in a row, but id give him 7 straight for sure, including tonight and the next 3. Light schedule to start the season.

It's Rittich's job to be ready at all times. If he is unable to do that then we need to find another backup. This is not a 1A/1B. This is a 1 and 2. 

If Smith plays more that 55 games I think this team will be in trouble going down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Sure it's the backups job to be ready at all times, but I don't know of too many goalies that can sit for a month and come in and be sharp. Then we will complain that Rittich isn't good enough.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think it's less about rolling with Smith as it is seeing if his game has developed consistency or just a one-off.

Would have been a good time to test out Rittich, but Sigalet wants to see Smith.

I also expect that Rittich will get two games in a row.

STL - Smith

COL - Rittich

BOS - Rittich

NSH - Smith

NYR - Smith

MTL - Rittich

It only makes sense to split 2 to 1.  You can't fall into the trap of 4 or 5 in a row.

I would go:

STL: Smith

COL:Rittich

BOS:Smith

NAS:Smith

NYR:Smith

MTL:Rittich

PIT:Smith

WAS:Smith

TOR:Smith

BUF:Rittich

There is a big gap between STL and BOS that I don't think you will see Smith sit that long.

26 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Being sharp is one thing. It has taken smith three games to feel it, plus the two last in preseason. He’s a starter and it took him that many games. We are asking the backup to be ready at all times when they haven’t started a game in around 2 weeks or so.

This is why our back ups never succeed. Look at the Kipper days. I think you need to run your backup ever 3-4 games. I like the idea of playing 3 and sit 1. Be up front with the goalie.

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Being sharp is one thing. It has taken smith three games to feel it, plus the two last in preseason. He’s a starter and it took him that many games. We are asking the backup to be ready at all times when they haven’t started a game in around 2 weeks or so.

This is why our back ups never succeed. Look at the Kipper days. I think you need to run your backup ever 3-4 games. I like the idea of playing 3 and sit 1. Be up front with the goalie.

Like everything else right now some of this will straighten itself out. New Coach wanting a good start will ride his veteran Regular so we shouldn't be shocked. I'm sure he also wants to get Rittich into a game early enough so he feels like part of the team and feels action ready.

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

Problem with this is this is exactly how goalie like Smith gets run out. No reason why you can't manage starts now instead of always pushing it back to the end of the year. 

Flames need Smith at his best in March/April, not October. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Problem with this is this is exactly how goalie like Smith gets run out. No reason why you can't manage starts now instead of always pushing it back to the end of the year. 

Flames need Smith at his best in March/April, not October. 

Week 1, 2 gms

Week 2, 3 gms

Week 3, 2 gms

I'm not seeing Smith getting over worked in the first 3 weeks, I see him getting an opportunity to get in a grove.

There will be other times in the season where Smith will need a rest.

Smith pulls a groin last season vs NYI no matter if he plays 10-15 fewer games leading up to that game. 

At any level it’s hard to take a goalie out after a shutout. Francis said at intermission during the Nashville game that Rittich was gonna start against the Blues, however Smith throws a goose egg. No need to worry, this start tonight is just a reward for Smith after a good game. Either way the plan was for him to play 2 of 3 on this trip it really doesn’t matter which order they are in IMO

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I would go:

STL: Smith

COL:Rittich

BOS:Smith

NAS:Smith

NYR:Smith

MTL:Rittich

PIT:Smith

WAS:Smith

TOR:Smith

BUF:Rittich

There is a big gap between STL and BOS that I don't think you will see Smith sit that long.

As it has been mentioned elsewhere, following a shutout, Smith gets pulled or has a bad game.

I think part of that is he gets too confident.

Making him work to get games should be the key.

You get 2 unless the 2nd game is lights out.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

See, now that he got pulled, the ol "gotta go right back to him to give him a vote of confidence" BS excuse will come into play.  

The comments from Peters suggested that they will see.

He said the goalie had nothing to do with the loss.

What else is he going to say?

Rittich will start.

He'll get one or two in a row.

This is going to be a long year for us if this is the level Smith is going to play at this year. Smith has been hot garbage in 3 of his 4 games, even in the Nashville game he didn't look especially sharp, he just fought his way through that one.

To me right Smith is a goalie who looks like he isn't seeing the puck clearly. He isn't following the puck very well, instead of letting pucks hit him he is swiping at the puck, and when the puck is hitting him it's like he isn't a 100% square so he is leaving rebounds and letting pucks trickle through him.

Unfortunately I don't think there was a better goaltender that we could have grabbed in the off season and none of our young goalies showed particularly well in pre season. Even right now I don't think we can go get a goalie that is going to plug the hole.

This is kind of what happens when the league keeps expanding, they dilute the talent pool, and where you are seeing the most evidence of it is in goal. There just isn't enough quality goaltenders to go around in this league.

56 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This is kind of what happens when the league keeps expanding, they dilute the talent pool, and where you are seeing the most evidence of it is in goal. There just isn't enough quality goaltenders to go around in this league.

Agreed, which is why i'm not a fan of the Seattle expansion plan. Get the $ involved and sure Vegas was a terrific story last year but I think we are going to see issues pop in for the next several season as I just don't think the league can support the 2 new teams. 

At this point I don't even think i'd treat Smith as the starter. Hopefully Rittich plays well on Saturday and if he does i'd ride the hot hand. No reason why Smith should be given the net. 

46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed, which is why i'm not a fan of the Seattle expansion plan. Get the $ involved and sure Vegas was a terrific story last year but I think we are going to see issues pop in for the next several season as I just don't think the league can support the 2 new teams. 

At this point I don't even think i'd treat Smith as the starter. Hopefully Rittich plays well on Saturday and if he does i'd ride the hot hand. No reason why Smith should be given the net. 

The problem with Smith is that he seems like the kind of "me first" guy who would disrupt the locker room by injecting toxic anomosity and pouting for sitting too long.  He seems like a vocal guy.  

Just now, The_People1 said:

The problem with Smith is that he seems like the kind of "me first" guy who would disrupt the locker room by injecting toxic anomosity and pouting for sitting too long.  He seems like a vocal guy.  

I don't get the same sense. He's vocal but vocal does not equal "me first". I would argue the opposite, he's been pretty refreshing in critiquing himself about poor games. 

Just now, The_People1 said:

Last night on the first goal, a goal he should have had, he threw his head back and his hands in the air.  As a teammate that would drive me crazy, and Smith does it all the time. Just put it behind you and move on, none of this I would have saved it if you didn't deflect it or screen me crap, even if he was mad at himself for not saving it, I don't want to see him showing frustration.

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't get the same sense. He's vocal but vocal does not equal "me first". I would argue the opposite, he's been pretty refreshing in critiquing himself about poor games. 

Sorry I meant Smith seems like a guy who says what's on his mind without filters.  Not that being vocal is necessarily a bad thing.  But he just won't be happy sitting.  And he will let everyone know... Which is probably why he plays so much in the first place.