s4xon

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Sounds like Smith is starting tonight. Either way we just need a save.

I wonder how much of an effect the smaller chest protectors are having on guys like Smith, he doesn't seem quite comfortable with shots between the body and his arm.

I remember one like that.

Some of the others were 5-hole and glove side high.

2 for sure were overplaying one side, which resulted in a tap in.

Not being super critical.  He needs to get his mojo back.  3rd period Smith seemed fine.  Hope that is the norm and not the aberation.

41 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I remember one like that.

Some of the others were 5-hole and glove side high.

2 for sure were overplaying one side, which resulted in a tap in.

Not being super critical.  He needs to get his mojo back.  3rd period Smith seemed fine.  Hope that is the norm and not the aberation.

There is the one weak goal that went under his arm, but I have also seen a few shots in that area, where he has barely got a piece of it and instead of absorbing the puck it is hitting him and dropping for a rebound.

He just doesn't seem completely comfortable over all, there have a been a few times where it looks like he has struggled to track the puck as well. Pettersson's 2nd goal on Saturday was an example of this, same with Goldobin's goal in the first game.

41 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Smith made a game saving glove save in the slot in the 3rd period.  

But ya, let's hope we don't have to score 7 goals to win games.

Of anyone I know, I figured that you would have felt the most comfortable with that game while the rest of us freaked out. The game starts off with a potential major fight, then nothing happens. The team says one thing, then plays a different way, and then change directions yet again. The goaltending looks weak, and then Smith makes a momentum changing save. So basically, it was like Trump's lunch hour.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder how much of an effect the smaller chest protectors are having on guys like Smith, he doesn't seem quite comfortable with shots between the body and his arm.

I saw Elliott is taking about the new chest protector having little padding on the arms. Every shot seems to leave a bruise & feels like no padding in the arm area. If you don't get the shot in the chest, stop it with the blocker or catch it you hurt a lot.

6 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I saw Elliott is taking about the new chest protector having little padding on the arms. Every shot seems to leave a bruise & feels like no padding in the arm area. If you don't get the shot in the chest, stop it with the blocker or catch it you hurt a lot.

And they said tonight that Rinne likes the smaller chest protectors better. 

56 minutes ago, kehatch said:

A big sigh of relief. Smith looked good tonight. Not just that he got the shut out, but he looked comfortable. He has been good since the big glove save in the third against Vancouver. 

Good on Smith but man how many wins are we going to post with 40+ shots against us.

1 minute ago, redfire11 said:

Good on Smith but man how many wins are we going to post with 40+ shots against us.

30?

He saw the shots tonight. I never really felt like the game was out of our control tonight. There are other games where we apparently have way better stats and lose by a lot, where I really feel like it's out of our control. Tonight, I felt like we counterattacked really well and defensively let Smith see the puck. I never really felt scared about rebound chances against tonight either. The team worked hard for him, and I think it was a better kind of hard, they weren't really chasing the game. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

30?

He saw the shots tonight. I never really felt like the game was out of our control tonight. There are other games where we apparently have way better stats and lose by a lot, where I really feel like it's out of our control. Tonight, I felt like we counterattacked really well and defensively let Smith see the puck. I never really felt scared about rebound chances against tonight either. The team worked hard for him, and I think it was a better kind of hard, they weren't really chasing the game. 

Let's not read too much into a win.

43 shots is not a great defensive game.

29 chances to 15 is not a decisive victory.

Props to Smith. 

Score a goal and he shuts the door.

Get a 2nd goal and he keeps them from getting one back.

The 3rd one was too hard to come back from without a quick goal coming back. 

We saw that so much last year.  On the wrong side of the ice.

It wasn't the Flames best defensive effort 5 on 5. But special teams were solid, goal tending was good, and it's a win against last seasons presidents trophy winners in their arena. 

It does show how goal tending makes a difference. If Smith doesn't make those big saves how very different the dialogue is (about the entire team). See game number 1. But I digress. 

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Let's not read too much into a win.

43 shots is not a great defensive game.

29 chances to 15 is not a decisive victory.

Props to Smith. 

Score a goal and he shuts the door.

Get a 2nd goal and he keeps them from getting one back.

The 3rd one was too hard to come back from without a quick goal coming back. 

We saw that so much last year.  On the wrong side of the ice.

It was Score Effects almost the whole game.  It was a 2:00 5on3 against.... In the third they tightened up and shut them down.......  It was one of their best defensive efforts in a long, long time.  Get your eyes off the stats and look at the game.  Very impressive puck pursuit, one on one battles and attacking the puck, against the best offensive D corps in the entire NHL.  

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

And they said tonight that Rinne likes the smaller chest protectors better. 

Smith I believe in his post-game interview mentioned that with the new protectors, you felt every shot a lot more, and some of the harder slap shots really sting now (so now you got those 100+ slappers that even goalies are probably going to try and duck now).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cccsberg said:

It was Score Effects almost the whole game.  It was a 2:00 5on3 against.... In the third they tightened up and shut them down.......  It was one of their best defensive efforts in a long, long time.  Get your eyes off the stats and look at the game.  Very impressive puck pursuit, one on one battles and attacking the puck, against the best offensive D corps in the entire NHL.  

The Flames never shut down offence.  The 5v3 call started in the O-zone.  

I watch the game more than the stats.

Score effects only occur when you shut down offence.

If 43 shots is a great defensive game, then I hate to see a bad one.

That's not to say they didn't play well in their zone.

Not a perfect game, but I will take it.  The PK and PP stood out.  That is as important as Smith stopping 43.

Gotta score to win.

14 minutes ago, Khrox said:

Smith I believe in his post-game interview mentioned that with the new protectors, you felt every shot a lot more, and some of the harder slap shots really sting now (so now you got those 100+ slappers that even goalies are probably going to try and duck now).

Yea I saw that after too

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not a perfect game, but I will take it.  The PK and PP stood out.  That is as important as Smith stopping 43.

Gotta score to win.

Uou gotta remember they’re playing a contender in their barn. Of course the Flames held the play until they were up. Once we got the lead they started pouring it on and we never looked out of place nor in horrible trouble. 

I admit I watched the first and then left at the start of intermission and then got to my girlfriend’s with 8-10 min left in the 2nd. I missed the 2man PK. But for me, I think like CCC said, the score made them try harder. We defended well and countered against another team that is supposed to win the cup. They’re going to play that way when they’re down. We just hope we play that way when we are down. 

Stats say 43 shots are a lot. Smith played well. There were a few breakdowns but I feel like the situations are different.

So I watched 3/4 of the game, we got hemmed a bit sometimes but not horribly chasing, and the breakouts were good. Huge improvement and a lot to like.  

Maybe i I just don’t know hockey anymore. Stats tell me otherwise.

3 hours ago, kehatch said:

It wasn't the Flames best defensive effort 5 on 5. But special teams were solid, goal tending was good, and it's a win against last seasons presidents trophy winners in their arena. 

It does show how goal tending makes a difference. If Smith doesn't make those big saves how very different the dialogue is (about the entire team). See game number 1. But I digress. 

Smith was fantastic when he needed to be for sure. This team is not going to be flawless with the number of rookies playing and all the experiments around the ice for now.

Like you said kehatch beating NAS is a good thing for the confidence or should be.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Uou gotta remember they’re playing a contender in their barn. Of course the Flames held the play until they were up. Once we got the lead they started pouring it on and we never looked out of place nor in horrible trouble. 

I admit I watched the first and then left at the start of intermission and then got to my girlfriend’s with 8-10 min left in the 2nd. I missed the 2man PK. But for me, I think like CCC said, the score made them try harder. We defended well and countered against another team that is supposed to win the cup. They’re going to play that way when they’re down. We just hope we play that way when we are down. 

Stats say 43 shots are a lot. Smith played well. There were a few breakdowns but I feel like the situations are different.

So I watched 3/4 of the game, we got hemmed a bit sometimes but not horribly chasing, and the breakouts were good. Huge improvement and a lot to like.  

Maybe i I just don’t know hockey anymore. Stats tell me otherwise.

No point in arguing about it.  Was just saying that we played a good game with some issues.  Regardless of the reason for the shots, the number is concerning.  You give a team like Toronto that many and you will be fighting for your life.  They lost Arviidson for the 1st period, and he's one of their best players.

Smith was good to great.  No doubt there.  I just don't want to have him to work that much in one game.

I think shot quantity is a really poor indicator of defensive play. Last night's Preds were a lot like the Flames of last year. Lots of possession lots of quantity but they really didn't turn that into much quality. Most of the high danger stuff was them crashing the net and trying to jam pucks home, so while that can be dangerous i'm not sure it's another indicator of poor defensive play.

I actually thought the Flames defended well. They didn't get puck out or transition out very well so If you link that to one in the same that's a reasonable conclusion. I thought their lack of ability to get the puck up the ice led to Nashville getting more zone time but score effects are part of this too. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

No point in arguing about it.  Was just saying that we played a good game with some issues.  Regardless of the reason for the shots, the number is concerning.  You give a team like Toronto that many and you will be fighting for your life.  They lost Arviidson for the 1st period, and he's one of their best players.

Smith was good to great.  No doubt there.  I just don't want to have him to work that much in one game.

I understand what you’re saying. I think he could be the type that thrives on more shots. 43 is high. If we can drop it down to 30ish that would be better. 

Although, the 21 in the 2nd period, Forsberg said they weren’t very difficult to stop, that they weren’t doing enough to make it harder on Smith, which I felt is what I saw.

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I understand what you’re saying. I think he could be the type that thrives on more shots. 43 is high. If we can drop it down to 30ish that would be better. 

Although, the 21 in the 2nd period, Forsberg said they weren’t very difficult to stop, that they weren’t doing enough to make it harder on Smith, which I felt is what I saw.

I now.  The issue we have had is those low danger shot have gone in before.

Rittich, Smith and Gillies.

The Pettersen shots weren't there last night, which is a good thing.

Praise the defense for that.

The volume of shots is concerning.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Gotta score to win.

They had 5 SOG on the 5v3.  They had 7-21-15 shots during the game.   The vast majority of the shots were from the perimeter.  They had very few rebounds or plays in close.  Their D, the top offensive D in the whole NHL, was activated almost all game.  The Flames D played very well.....  and Smith did too.  

Why is this contentious?

16 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

They had 5 SOG on the 5v3.  They had 7-21-15 shots during the game.   The vast majority of the shots were from the perimeter.  They had very few rebounds or plays in close.  Their D, the top offensive D in the whole NHL, was activated almost all game.  The Flames D played very well.....  and Smith did too.  

Why is this contentious?

You are right.  We should not concerned giving up 43 shots, low quality or crashing the net, regardless of when.

Was it a bad game?  No.

Was it their best defensive game.  No.

Agree to disagree.

EDIT

Ignore the snide comment above.  Just suggesting that we really need to reel it in a bit.  Smith shouldn't have to face that many shots.

5 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Friedman rumour mongering again, mentioned today in 31 thoughts, ANA, MTL, TB, PHI and MTL as teams with interest in Bennett

Not the best place to discuss, but of those teams:

ANA - Erikkson-Ek (G) + Silfverberg for Bennett

TBL - Palat for Stone + Bennett (cap reasons)

MTL - Druin for Stone + Bennett (cap reasons)

PHI - Vecchione + Lyon (G) for Bennett

Price is high, but that's what I'm looking for those team to cough up.  :)