s4xon

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I am not a fan of the All-Star game. Very little effort goes into the games, and I am not sure if playing a half-hearted game is constructive for players. Many players seem to try their best to avoid going when selected. I would like to see the NHL come up with an alternative. If people want to watch a weak effort, I can always turn on my recorder at work on Fridays. :D

Ask Johnny about how hard they play for their share of a million.  

I hated the old format, but love to watch the 3v3 games.  

Any type of "practice" game that uses the 3v3 format is great for Johnny.  We need those wins in OT. 

Curious as to who starts Tuesday against Vegas. I mean Smith is flying cross-continent either at the moment or Monday AM and I heard the all-stars fly commercial. I know for us big whoop you have to fly with normal people, but when you're used to private jets I'm sure it can be difficult.

As big a game as Tuesday is, I give Smith the night off as he really didn't get a break this weekend and has had lots of travel. Start him Thursday against TB

Besides, we can't only play Rittich in b2b situations, he deserves to start behind a rested team ocassionally

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Curious as to who starts Tuesday against Vegas. I mean Smith is flying cross-continent either at the moment or Monday AM and I heard the all-stars fly commercial. I know for us big whoop you have to fly with normal people, but when you're used to private jets I'm sure it can be difficult.

As big a game as Tuesday is, I give Smith the night off as he really didn't get a break this weekend and has had lots of travel. Start him Thursday against TB

Besides, we can't only play Rittich in b2b situations, he deserves to start behind a rested team ocassionally

Why would he not just fly to Vegas. Team has to be there by now, be simplier for he and Johnny to just to fly to Vegas now. 

Forgot which social media I saw it on (Johnny's Instagram Stories maybe) but both Johnny Gaudreau and Mike Smith with family were on a private jet.

24 minutes ago, Kiweh said:

Forgot which social media I saw it on (Johnny's Instagram Stories maybe) but both Johnny Gaudreau and Mike Smith with family were on a private jet.

Could be, radio guys said commercial so I just assumed. Either way, Rittich needs to get in more games than just the back end of b2b's

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Could be, radio guys said commercial so I just assumed. Either way, Rittich needs to get in more games than just the back end of b2b's

Considering the money invested in both these guys, I suspect the team flew them by private jet.

Personally, I think it's a coin toss who should play.  Rittich plays fast team quite well.  Smith had to face 3v3 play against the best from the East.  At the very least I would start Rittich in both CHI, if he wins the first one.  Then start him against NYR on the 2nd night of a B2B.

Smith has been better than anyone here ever imagined.

We also have a backup that can win games.

The problem I have is the two styles of goalies we have causes the team to play differently in front.  

Rittich rarely passes clears the puck out of the zone, and relies on the defense for that.

As a result, the defense has to start the play out of the zone.  The passes tend to be shorter and more controlled.

With Smith in nets, the team tends to wait for him to clear the puck.  That can mean a pass to the forwards (good), wring along the boards, or a more risky play with the puck away from the net.  He gets burned more from the latter two.  A wring along the boards is picked off at around 50% of the time.  A deft pass in front of the net to a D-man can lead to the D-man mishandling it or getting picked off.  That's all well and good, but the D-men also tend to defer to Smith.  Last night was not the only case of a player passing it back towards the goalie.  Whether you blame Frolik, Brodie or Smith for the goal, it really looked like Frolik was making a pass to Brodie and Brodie decided to let it go to Smith.  Neither Brodie nor Frolik seemed to see the Knight forward streaking to the net.  

You never want to tell a goalie to change when he is your MVP, but there is some slight tweaks he could do that would increase his SA% and reduce his GAA.  His greatest asset is the ability to stop the shoot in along the boards.  Don't want to see him change that part at all.

On 1/24/2018 at 5:34 PM, Cowtownguy said:

Smith seems to be a cool customer. Hopefully, he doesn't need the time off.

So we go through this literally  every year.  At some point, one of our goalies plays half decently and we....always...run them into the ground.

And then, we turn on them.    Of course, we haven't turned on Smith yet.   But the reason I say "yet", is we've literally done it with every goalie that's been in the Saddledome since Kipper.   And each time, leading up to it, a lot of "this is different".

So, let's be honest.   When you break down "seems to be a cool customer".........

you're left with a whole lot of nothing.   which has been the reason we've overplayed anyone else who's performed well.

18 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

So we go through this literally  every year.  At some point, one of our goalies plays half decently and we....always...run them into the ground.

And then, we turn on them.    Of course, we haven't turned on Smith yet.   But the reason I say "yet", is we've literally done it with every goalie that's been in the Saddledome since Kipper.   And each time, leading up to it, a lot of "this is different".

So, let's be honest.   When you break down "seems to be a cool customer".........

you're left with a whole lot of nothing.   which has been the reason we've overplayed anyone else who's performed well.

I agree to a certain extend on running them into the ground, but last year was not that case for total starts.  IT was that way because CJ fell off the map.

This year needs to be more than just making the playoffs.  I understand we are not there yet, but we are also losing games with Smith in nets.  Not because it's his fault.  It a combo of things like lwetting certain things get through because he's there, letting him play the puck because he can, and stifling offense to protect a 1 goal lead.  

I'm worried about Smith being over-played, IMO Rittich should have started the Vegas game as Smith as an all-star really didn't get a break on the weekend.

Rittich has played well in all of his starts, we can't only play him in the second half of b2b's, we need to start sprinkling in Rittich starts more often

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm worried about Smith being over-played, IMO Rittich should have started the Vegas game as Smith as an all-star really didn't get a break on the weekend.

Rittich has played well in all of his starts, we can't only play him in the second half of b2b's, we need to start sprinkling in Rittich starts more often

I don't think it was the wrong decision to play him against LVK but the tiredness was evident in that game. We see this all the time from all Coaches that want or need to win so badly they miss the signs. I think you are correct in that Rittich deserves more respect from GG and thus more important starts.

23 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't think it was the wrong decision to play him against LVK but the tiredness was evident in that game. We see this all the time from all Coaches that want or need to win so badly they miss the signs. I think you are correct in that Rittich deserves more respect from GG and thus more important starts.

Another thing to consider is Smith's age. Has he been amazing this year? Yes he has but unfortunately he won't be here long term due to his age. Look at what Nashville is doing they've got a similar aged goalie in Rinne who is excellent, but they are bringing along the next in line Saros and giving him key starts. Then he will be more ready to handle the workload once Rinne leaves. Our goal should be to groom Rittich as next in line and that requires more than 1 or 2 starts a month

Another thing to consider is Smith's age. Has he been amazing this year? Yes he has but unfortunately he won't be here long term due to his age. Look at what Nashville is doing they've got a similar aged goalie in Rinne who is excellent, but they are bringing along the next in line Saros and giving him key starts. Then he will be more ready to handle the workload once Rinne leaves. Our goal should be to groom Rittich as next in line and that requires more than 1 or 2 starts a month

You never know, there is nothing that says Saros or Rittich would be heir apparents to take over as the regular moves out. A good Coach that isn't desperate for wins to save his job will recognize when he has a tired goalie on his hands.

One thing I was seeing with Smith last night. When you leave the puck behind the net, GET OUT OF THE WAY!!

Each and every time the dman HAS to slow down because you're in the way.

It's a fast pace, if something is there, it's gone because you're lolly-gagging in the way.

But to end on a positive, his ability to stop pucks and tips through screens is unreal.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Looks like Smith pulled groin.  It didnt look good as he couldn't even walk.  I'm guessing 6 weeks minimum.

We going to see Gillies called up for a few games?  I believe in Rittich but he's still a rookie after all.  

Parsons was injured and left the game for Stockton tonight as well. So all of a sudden our depth at goaltending is being tested.

44 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Looks like Smith pulled groin.  It didnt look good as he couldn't even walk.  I'm guessing 6 weeks minimum.

We going to see Gillies called up for a few games?  I believe in Rittich but he's still a rookie after all.  

Smith seen walking out of the dressing room without a limp.

No sense guess on a timetable at this point.