s4xon

It would be between SC final and entry draft. And there is no guarantee that it will force a teams hands for this season unless some other rules of engagements come down that lock a player to a roster. 

I can see Pitt really wanted to take another kick at the can with the players they got and then worrying about dealing them in that short window. 

It's not impossible for them to keep MAF, but I think Rutherford sees now as the time to deal him.  He alluded to that in his comments.  

The issues facing JR if they keep him:

1) $5.75m against the cap

2) He has to be protected as it stands now (NMC with term remaining).  The NHL leaked them early on.

3) In-season injury preventing him from being traded.

4) If he gets stuck as a backup, he could demand to not be traded to a team in need.

5) He outplays Murray in the regular season, so they need to keep him for the playoffs.

The NHL has done all but the official announcement of expansion.  They have to wait til the BOG meeting on June 22nd.

It's not impossible for them to keep MAF, but I think Rutherford sees now as the time to deal him.  He alluded to that in his comments.  

2) He has to be protected as it stands now (NMC with term remaining).  The NHL leaked them early on.

4) If he gets stuck as a backup, he could demand to not be traded to a team in need.

5) He outplays Murray in the regular season, so they need to keep him for the playoffs.

The NHL has done all but the official announcement of expansion.  They have to wait til the BOG meeting on June 22nd.

Agreed, they get more for him today than if they wait until end of next season. More certainty as well. Only gamble is if Murray is a replacement or if hes another Cam Ward (parlay a rookie cup run into multiple years of solid but uninspiring play). 

4 options right now.

a) MAF from Pitt - only if expansion forces it

B) Anderson from ANA - only if expansion forces it or RFA deal can't get done

c) Niemi for Wideman - Allows both teams to shift a contract they don't want to pay to a team that could make use of a decent player, just one that has an undesirable contract. (Niemi is more about having over 10M in goalie contracts)

d) UFA likely Reimer OR outside chance of Chad Johnson or Antii Raanta

Doing nothing isnt an option. Need a second goalie in NHL. 

I think there might be another 2 trade possibilities

a) If the Islanders are promoting Greiss to starter, Halak could become available

B) that's a bigger if, but Colorado has 2 solid goalies and are rumored to do some changes, so maybe they could trade one of Varlamnov and Pickard

Your point #5 is one of the biggest reasons to keep him, they can still trade him after the season and before the expansion draft.

Your point #5 is one of the biggest reasons to keep him, they can still trade him after the season and before the expansion draft.

Yes they can. Though, it's a limited 10 day window, and I'm not sure how many of the other 29 teams would be willing to "help" Pittsburgh out during that timeframe if Fleury is the odd man out.

In fact, it would be smart business to low-ball them incredibly at that time. What's that saying about throwing an anchor to someone who's drowning?

JR would love to keep him.  No doubt.  

Waiting to the off-season is about as risky as it comes.  By that point, teams will have decided on their protected goalie.  There are very few teams that would go into the offseason without one.  Teams that can do it will protect their top ranked goalie prospect if they have to protect him.  

• Like 1

JR would love to keep him. No doubt.

Waiting to the off-season is about as risky as it comes. By that point, teams will have decided on their protected goalie. There are very few teams that would go into the offseason without one. Teams that can do it will protect their top ranked goalie prospect if they have to protect him.

It would be risky, and I am sure it would make things easier if they moved him this year. That being said if all they are getting offered is 3rd round picks and lesser prospects I would suspect that they would take their chances and move him next off season.

It would be risky, and I am sure it would make things easier if they moved him this year. That being said if all they are getting offered is 3rd round picks and lesser prospects I would suspect that they would take their chances and move him next off season.

Given the market for goalies is already small odds are it'll be even smaller next year. Before that Calgary & TML will already have a goalie in place. Most others will either have decided which to keep so the market will be only those that see MAF as an upgrade.

A 3rd rounder is better than zilch &/or being stuck with that contract for 2 more years should LV like other goalies (or a different exposed Pengie player as they can only lose 1) more.

Given the market for goalies is already small odds are it'll be even smaller next year. Before that Calgary & TML will already have a goalie in place. Most others will either have decided which to keep so the market will be only those that see MAF as an upgrade.

A 3rd rounder is better than zilch &/or being stuck with that contract for 2 more years should LV like other goalies (or a different exposed Pengie player as they can only lose 1) more.

Both of Philly's and Vancouver's goalies are UFA's at the end of next season so they will be in the market for a starter. Elliott and Greiss will be UFA for St. Louis and Brooklyn. There is always teams looking for starting goalies.

Both of Philly's and Vancouver's goalies are UFA's at the end of next season so they will be in the market for a starter. Elliott and Greiss will be UFA for St. Louis and Brooklyn. There is always teams looking for starting goalies.

Will Demko be ready?

I think Van is going to use Markstrom and get him more time, split with Miller this year, then maybe Markstrom takes over until Demko is ready.

They're going to let Miller walk and then use Markstrom until Demko is ready to go.

Will Demko be ready?

I think Van is going to use Markstrom and get him more time, split with Miller this year, then maybe Markstrom takes over until Demko is ready.

They're going to let Miller walk and then use Markstrom until Demko is ready to go.

Markstrom is a UFA at the end of the year. What if they feel Markstrom isn't capable and they want a guy like Fleury for 2 years.

Markstrom is a UFA at the end of the year. What if they feel Markstrom isn't capable and they want a guy like Fleury for 2 years.

The time to move on Fleury is now for us, he would gives at a minimum 3 years of good experienced goaltending. If not him go after Vasilevskiy TBL or Andersen ANA, any of these choices are mid to long term potentially for solid goaltending. Most everything else risks being a bandaid and I don't think we can afford that situation.

I think by now its painfully obvious that the MO of this club is "expect the unexpected"

- nobody predicted Gulutzen as next coach

- Treliving wasnt predicted

- nobody thought for a second we could trade and get Dougie Hamilton-- and if so , not for that price

so knowing that ,  its now likely that our next goalie wont be anybody we're expecting .. soo   curious

wonder what could happen in Far Fetched land??

In an unexpected need to shed salary we ship our  6OA and all our seconds to NYR for Lundqvuist?

Anaheim  decides to Keep Anderson and trades us Gibson ?

Im curious.. what , out of left field and previously thought impossible option, are we missing ??

• Like 1

I think by now its painfully obvious that the MO of this club is "expect the unexpected"

- nobody thought for a second we could trade and get Dougie Hamilton-- and if so , not for that price

so knowing that ,  its now likely that our next goalie wont be anybody we're expecting .. soo   curious

In an unexpected need to shed salary we ship our  6OA and all our seconds to NYR for Lundqvuist?

Im curious.. what , out of left field and previously thought impossible option, are we missing ??

Unexpected eh?

David Rittich comes into camp like a bat outta Czech and lights it up in the crease. He steals the starting job at the price of having to reice the goalie crease.

Unexpected eh?

David Rittich comes into camp like a bat outta Czech and lights it up in the crease. He steals the starting job at the price of having to reice the goalie crease.

That would be awesome..and if something like that were to happen, Murphys law says its most likely to happen right after installing a $6M guy..lol

Unexpected eh?

except he can't manage to do that in the Czech league he's already in....  

Not that I'm writing him off....he wouldn't be my pick but you never know in a Couple Years.   Right now, we know.

Our best long shots:

1.  Gillies jumps to the next level after his surgery (surgery CAN actually make goalies BETTER...sometimes)

2.  Ortio jumps to the next level (tends to happen around his age, but obviously rare)

I DO agree with others on here that options 1 and 2 are unnacceptable levels of risk, even for the Long term (although Gillies Really could surprise us after he gets in a groove).

For myself, what I would want to see is a Second Gillies (or greater), and that's just for long term risk management.  Could it work out for short term risk management too?  Yes.  Not as good as some here would like, and I get that too.

Here is a list:

Ilya Sorokin (it cannot be stressed how exceptional he really is... would pay high price for him)

Kuemper (for the right price)

Anton Krasotkin (tryout worthy...potential to be much, Much better than he appears)

Alexei Krasikov

Any number of US College 2 years right now

Mike Vernon (just sayin)

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-Jaeckel/A-Change-Is-Gonna-Come/128/77610

This would certainly qualufy as unexpected...take the source for what its worth, but its not the first time ive heard that Crawford is being made available.

Im staying on record as saying I don't want him, if true best option would be Toronto..pretty much wiping out our competition for Anderson

Everything I have heard is that getting a better than average goalie shouldn't be real expensive with the expansion threat looming. Timing will affect different scenerios however the Flames will be working every situation for sure.

Having said this I hope they have the bullets and balls to go for the #3 pick from CLB and get Puljujarvi (my dream play).

As mentioned further up the thread, I cant see pittsburg letting go MAF for cheap......if at all. Murray was good, very good at times but is he the next Patrick Roy? Or is he the next Jim Carey? It's a risky call for a team that could very easily win it all again next year. For no reason in particular I still have a feeling Reimer is the choice. His stock didnt really rise in SJ so  4 mil isnt out of the question. Maybe I'm trying to rationalize my gut feeling (which has been way off numerous times) but I think MAF stays put for 1 more year.

• Like 1