s4xon

Lets put an offer in for Mrazek. $1.8M would cost us our 3rd round pick.

We would have to go to a place Detroit isn't willing to follow. I am fine with the idea of offer sheeting Mrazek if he is eligible for it. We would have to go to $6.5m to $7.3m to try and sign him, but even then Detroit would probably match.

I am willing to give up a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd for Mrazek. He is young and one of the better goalies in the league.

I don't think you can blame the goalie when you lose a game 2-1 with one of those 2 a power play goal. That's because everyone else isn't scoring enough. 

Since his callup Ortio's save % (GA) by game is: 

0.920 (2GA)
0.800 (5GA)
0.941 (2GA)
0.946 (2GA)

He did come in for half of the Anaheim game on the 15th of Feb and only had a 0.818 (2 goals on 11 shots), but did so in  relief of Hiller who has a 0.765 (4 goals on 17 shots)

When you have a 0.92+ with 2GA in 3 games and lose all three, the problem isn't the goalie. 

Yes, his 3rd period meltdown against Ottawa cost us that game. But on the whole, he's putting up good numbers in a small sample. 

Sending him down at this point is utterly illogical. If he can manage the same for another dozen games of the season, then we have a very interesting goalie option next year with an affordable contract. 

Yes, he's week top corner, but every goalie has a particular weakness that gets exploited. Unless games like the one against OTT become the norm, I don't worry to much about that. And we do have a goalie coach for a reason. 

I don't think you can blame the goalie when you lose a game 2-1 with one of those 2 a power play goal. That's because everyone else isn't scoring enough. 

0.920 (2GA)

0.800 (5GA)

0.941 (2GA)

0.946 (2GA)

He did come in for half of the Anaheim game on the 15th of Feb and only had a 0.818 (2 goals on 11 shots), but did so in  relief of Hiller who has a 0.765 (4 goals on 17 shots)

When you have a 0.92+ with 2GA in 3 games and lose all three, the problem isn't the goalie. 

Yes, his 3rd period meltdown against Ottawa cost us that game. But on the whole, he's putting up good numbers in a small sample. 

Sending him down at this point is utterly illogical. If he can manage the same for another dozen games of the season, then we have a very interesting goalie option next year with an affordable contract. 

Yes, he's week top corner, but every goalie has a particular weakness that gets exploited. Unless games like the one against OTT become the norm, I don't worry to much about that. And we do have a goalie coach for a reason.

He is an emergency call up. He has to go down. The decision is then whether we use one of our 3 recalls, carrying 3 goalies when we have a bare roster and 20 games to play. I think with our goalie situation, if the decision has not been made as to whether he is qualified, he should be recalled. But we will see...

0.920 (2GA)
0.800 (5GA)
0.941 (2GA)
0.946 (2GA)

I agree with your assessment. Except for the highlighted point. That 3rd period collapse against Ottawa was a total team collapse.

Said elsewhere, but this is probably the better spot:

Send an Offer Sheet to Freddie Andersen.  Make it high enough that Anaheim can't match.  

They have to get guys like Rakkel, Lindholm, Vatanen, Pirri re-signed to new deals.  They have to re-sign or replace Perron, McGinn, Horcoff, Santorelli, Chris Stewart, Tokarski, Gernat, etc.  

He is an emergency call up. He has to go down. The decision is then whether we use one of our 3 recalls, carrying 3 goalies when we have a bare roster and 20 games to play. I think with our goalie situation, if the decision has not been made as to whether he is qualified, he should be recalled. But we will see...

I wish we had used a callup before the deadline on him rather than having to burn one of our 4, but he I think has to stay up the remainder of the season for assessment. 

I agree with your assessment. Except for the highlighted point. That 3rd period collapse against Ottawa was a total team collapse.

That is true. Didn't mean to put it all on Ortio, everyone had a meltdown. But Ortio's play slipped with the rest of the team's as well, and I think he had a chance on two of those goals.

Two of the three shouldn't have even gotten to him though. So multiple faults. 

• Like 1

I"m not a big fan of the offer sheet so I'd rather just try and work a trade. Problem with an offer sheet is you have to give them your own picks so if you offer sheet Anderson and they take the picks you are giving up the Flames first 1st next year. Now I think the Flames can and should be better next year but i'm not willing to bet on it with Anderson.

I think Andreson can be a good starter but not a top end so i'm not giving up what might be a lottery pick for him. I think you can work out a trade with Anaheim if that is the guy the way. Would be really helpfull if the Dallas pick ends up being a 1 because that would be the trade bait I would feel far more comfortable giving up then the Flames first next year. 

I"m not a big fan of the offer sheet so I'd rather just try and work a trade.

Same. 

Treliving appears to have great rapport with all the GMs in the league and he appeared to be the most hard working GM over the TDL calling every team to find out what was available.  Once you offer sheet a player, I think some GMs would not answer your phone calls anymore.

It was also rumoured that the Oilers were going to offer sheet Dougie Hamilton and as such, the Bruins "gave away" Hamilton to the Flames to spite the Oilers.  Again, much of that was due to good rapport between Treliving and the other GMs in the league.

To turn around now and offer sheet somebody, that's going to tarnish any reputation Treliving and Burke have developed over the course of their time.  It's just not worth it.  It's better to work out a deal for a trade.

I"m not a big fan of the offer sheet so I'd rather just try and work a trade. Problem with an offer sheet is you have to give them your own picks so if you offer sheet Anderson and they take the picks you are giving up the Flames first 1st next year. Now I think the Flames can and should be better next year but i'm not willing to bet on it with Anderson.

I think Andreson can be a good starter but not a top end so i'm not giving up what might be a lottery pick for him. I think you can work out a trade with Anaheim if that is the guy the way. Would be really helpfull if the Dallas pick ends up being a 1 because that would be the trade bait I would feel far more comfortable giving up then the Flames first next year. 

It's an option.  It's not like a 1st in 2016, though.  Matthews and McDavid have been touted for as long as I can remember.  Is there that much of an impact player waiting till the 2017 season?  

Seems to me that recent OS that were submitted by teams haven't hurt that team's ability to trade.  It's not like we have made many trades with Anaheim before.  Rob Neidermayer, Tim Jackman, Jiggy.  It's not my first choice, but infinitely cheaper than trying to make a trade in a cap world.

All in all, I doubt that BT would consider it, but you never know.

It's an option.  It's not like a 1st in 2016, though.  Matthews and McDavid have been touted for as long as I can remember.  Is there that much of an impact player waiting till the 2017 season?  

Not to that level IMO, althought we shall see, its more I just don't see the value in giving up a lottery pick for an OK starter. I don't view Anderson as a legit top end starter. I think he is probably an aveage starter, but I don't see him as a guy you attached your hopes to for 55 plus game so thats why IMO he isn't worth a potetnial lotery pick even if the draft isn't as good. I can get behind a top 10 pick for Cory Schendier becuase he is one of the best in the league but I don't see Anderson at that level. 

It's not a horrible option becuase to your point working out a trade with Anaheim may be tough givin its inter division. I'm less concerend about the offer sheet process itself and more concerend with the price of a 1st and a 3rd for Andersson. I think thats too much, especially if that picks winds up a lottery pick which it could conceivably be. 

There isn't alot of teams shopping for starters so even if the Ducks put a premium on him to trade him inter division, the price might be less than a 1st and a 3rd. 

Seems to me that recent OS that were submitted by teams haven't hurt that team's ability to trade.  It's not like we have made many trades with Anaheim before.  Rob Neidermayer, Tim Jackman, Jiggy.  It's not my first choice, but infinitely cheaper than trying to make a trade in a cap world.

All in all, I doubt that BT would consider it, but you never know.

I really don't see why we wouldn't make the trade, I don't see Anaheim turning us down. Yes I know division rivals and all, but if we give them a reasonable offer it looks better for both sides to get a trade done.

Treliving:   Hey Bob, we need a goalie...   A real one this time...

Murray:    Andersen might be a trade chip, but he won't come cheap...

Treliving:   You guys owe us one for taking Hiller off your hands, he was a dud...

Murray:   (tries to stifle a chuckle)...   What are you offering?...

Treliving:   Does Boudreau like chicken?...

Murray:   I think so, he sure got excited when I sent him to my car to bring up the KFC that I picked up for lunch...

me6Ob.gif

Treliving: We'll buy Boudreau his own KFC franchise, right close to the Honda Center...

Murray:   Well, they do say a happy coach makes for a happy hockey team...   Done...

fe507e605b60f2589dd93330ec53e3f6.png

• Like 1

Not to that level IMO, althought we shall see, its more I just don't see the value in giving up a lottery pick for an OK starter. I don't view Anderson as a legit top end starter. I think he is probably an aveage starter, but I don't see him as a guy you attached your hopes to for 55 plus game so thats why IMO he isn't worth a potetnial lotery pick even if the draft isn't as good. I can get behind a top 10 pick for Cory Schendier becuase he is one of the best in the league but I don't see Anderson at that level. 

It's not a horrible option becuase to your point working out a trade with Anaheim may be tough givin its inter division. I'm less concerend about the offer sheet process itself and more concerend with the price of a 1st and a 3rd for Andersson. I think thats too much, especially if that picks winds up a lottery pick which it could conceivably be. 

There isn't alot of teams shopping for starters so even if the Ducks put a premium on him to trade him inter division, the price might be less than a 1st and a 3rd. 

Stats:

Season Team                                    Lge          GP Min GA EN SO GAA W L T Svs Pct

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008-09 Herning Blue Fox                 Denmark 33 1178 44 0 0 2.24 0 0 0 571 0.929

2009-10 Frederikshavn White Hawks Denmark 32 1753 64 0 0 2.19 0 0 0 875 0.932

2011-12 Frolunda HC                         SEL         39 2335 65 0 7 1.67 0 0 0 1037 0.941

2012-13 Norfolk Admirals                   AHL         47 2685 98 4 4 2.19 24 18 1 1289 0.929

2013-14 Anaheim Ducks                    NHL         28 1569 60 0 0 2.29 20 5 0 723 0.923

2013-14 Norfolk Admirals                   AHL           4 245 8 0 1 1.96 3 1 0 123 0.939

2014-15 Anaheim Ducks                    NHL         54 3106 123 0 3 2.38 35 12 5 1313 0.914

2015-16 Anaheim Ducks                    NHL         34 1797 68 0 1 2.26 16 8 3 783 0.920

These are better than backup numbers.  Even a three year deal is less risky than going for another backup turning starter.  Not sure there are many options out there.

Stats:

Season Team                                    Lge          GP Min GA EN SO GAA W L T Svs Pct

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008-09 Herning Blue Fox                 Denmark 33 1178 44 0 0 2.24 0 0 0 571 0.929

2009-10 Frederikshavn White Hawks Denmark 32 1753 64 0 0 2.19 0 0 0 875 0.932

2011-12 Frolunda HC                         SEL         39 2335 65 0 7 1.67 0 0 0 1037 0.941

2012-13 Norfolk Admirals                   AHL         47 2685 98 4 4 2.19 24 18 1 1289 0.929

2013-14 Anaheim Ducks                    NHL         28 1569 60 0 0 2.29 20 5 0 723 0.923

2013-14 Norfolk Admirals                   AHL           4 245 8 0 1 1.96 3 1 0 123 0.939

2014-15 Anaheim Ducks                    NHL         54 3106 123 0 3 2.38 35 12 5 1313 0.914

2015-16 Anaheim Ducks                    NHL         34 1797 68 0 1 2.26 16 8 3 783 0.920

These are better than backup numbers.  Even a three year deal is less risky than going for another backup turning starter.  Not sure there are many options out there.

Where did I say he was a backup? I said he was a starter but IMO he is an average starter and i'm not giving up a potential lottery pick in the first round for an Avg starter. 

Just because he may be the best option available doesn't mean you overpay for him. I have no problem looking into acquiring Anderson and potetnially acquiring him but its got to be for the right price. He isn't worth giving up everything for, that is what i'm saying. 

For those who think our next #1 should be of similar age as all our prospects and rebuild players then I would suggest we look at getting someone like :

5b1ef0b12a4455e748914dd96e31fb22.png

While his NHL resume is short, he is the age, has good size and nice stats. I don't think it would take an arm and leg to get him from the Jets. Maybe FF52 would have a better idea what it would take to get him.. FF?

Deeds, I am just copying another post from FF, but he doesn't believe Hellebuyck would be available:

Flyerfan52, on 24 Jan 2016 - 3:54 PM, said:snapback.png

With the way Hellebuyck has been playing & the Jets deep in goalie prospects I see Hutchinson as probably available. I can't guess the cost but see him as better than the Flames prospects while being ready to assume @ least backup.

Andersen will probably be harder to get especially in division.

I think the hangup on Andersen has gone a bit too far. Hes not worth offer sheeting.

I like him in that hes a larger goalie and his stats are strong, but then again they are padded by playing on a sound defensive team in the ducks.

A similar goalie that can likely be had as a UFA is Chad Johnson. Granted hes an inch shorter at 6'3" but hes had similar numbers with more experience and done it across 5 different teams. 

Now I dont believe he is a true #1 but I think he is in the conversation with a guy like a Reimer as someone we can bring in for 2-3 years to man the ship with Ortio while our own big talented goalies in Gillies and McDonald mature. 

The upside is that combination of goalie costs is likely HALF of what we spent in net this year and can mean the difference between bringing in a guy like Okposo for the top line.

There are more goalies than there are jobs nowadays. Unless you have a carey price or another true #1 why spend more money than you need to?

Let's not get too carried away Brossoit has played 2 games and his AHL stats are OK.

Not calling the guy a savior or anything but we'd atleast have another internal option. Much cheaper then trading assets or picks for a starting goalie. It is only 2 games but he played solid in front of a horrid Oiler D at that