s4xon

I never said I agreed with Hartley.  In fact I have said I felt Hiller was done.  I even went so far as to suggest that BT should waive him to properly evaluate Ortio.

It was directed at Hartley's decision making process, I know that you are not a Hiller fan either...

I think that Backstrom's career is pretty much done.

That said, I think he'll get a couple of games with the Flames.

Who knows, he might surprise us all, and get back to his 2012/2013 level of play (2.43GAA, .909 S%).

It's 2016 and he's 38-years-old. 

He's exactly what we need if we weren't trying to win.

In other words, start him.

It's 2016 and he's 38-years-old. 

He's exactly what we need if we weren't trying to win.

In other words, start him.

I hope your not going to start this pro tank BS in a bunch of threads again Peeps...   :lol:

What happened to the "Tank vs No Tank" thread...   http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/20517-flames-losing-for-higher-draft-

order/page-42

Besides, you said a few times that you weren't going to do that this season, do I need to go find the quotes?   groucho.gif

I hope your not going to start this pro tank BS in a bunch of threads again Peeps...   :lol:

What happened to the "Tank vs No Tank" thread...   http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/20517-flames-losing-for-higher-draft-

order/page-42

Besides, you said a few times that you weren't going to do that this season, do I need to go find the quotes?   groucho.gif

Lol let's not call it tank bro.  That hurts feelings.

Let's just call it "Auditioning a 38-year-old".

To be fair, Peeps didn't make the trade.  BT did.

And it's pretty hard to come up with another explanation.

Backstrom simply shouldn't play if we are trying to win.  Plain and simple.

It's fine if anyone wants to defend Backstrom by suggesting he still has game.  That's a great topic for discussion.  I'm just questioning the motives behind playing him when it's perfectly legitimate to question the motives behind playing 38-year-old coming off surgery to repair nerve damage and hasn't played in more than one calendar year. 

Backstrom simply shouldn't play if we are trying to win. Plain and simple.

It's fine if anyone wants to defend Backstrom by suggesting he still has game. That's a great topic for discussion. I'm just questioning the motives behind playing him when it's perfectly legitimate to question the motives behind playing 38-year-old coming off surgery to repair nerve damage and hasn't played in more than one calendar year.

It's not like we are winning any awards with our current goaltending, unless they give out awards for being the worst.

So I really don't see the concern with playing Backstrom for a few games.

Backstrom simply shouldn't play if we are trying to win.  Plain and simple.

It's fine if anyone wants to defend Backstrom by suggesting he still has game.  That's a great topic for discussion.  I'm just questioning the motives behind playing him when it's perfectly legitimate to question the motives behind playing 38-year-old coming off surgery to repair nerve damage and hasn't played in more than one calendar year. 

worst case scenario, he spells off Ortio a game or 2, he sucks.. we walk away

Best case scenario,, he has form still, we sign him on the cheap for 1 year .. if hes even a % of his former self, then hes got a history of being a dominant goalie..nothing to lose here at all

At this point the priority should be: 

1) Continue auditioning Ortio - we need to see what he can bring at the NHL level and if he needs a contract next year

2) Give Backstrom a few games - post-surgery he may well be able to put up numbers that are good enough for a starter

3) Use Hiller only if necessary - we know what he doesn't have. 

Ortio is hopefully good enough to be a backup next year. 

IF Backstrom can be decent we may have a starter to sign for 2 years who could play the #1 position until Gillies is ready. 

Both of those are BIG IFs, and need to be figured out ASAP

It's not like we are winning any awards with our current goaltending, unless they give out awards for being the worst.

So I really don't see the concern with playing Backstrom for a few games.

worst case scenario, he spells off Ortio a game or 2, he sucks.. we walk away

Best case scenario,, he has form still, we sign him on the cheap for 1 year .. if hes even a % of his former self, then hes got a history of being a dominant goalie..nothing to lose here at all

Sure.

Still, it's fair to question playing Backstrom because of so much unknown, or better yet, so much known problems with his health, time away from the game, and current age.  Motives should be questioned especially when no motives were questioned in any trade over the TDL due to GM actions that made total sense.  Playing Backstrom looks like bad optics.

If Backstrom emerged into  a coaching role and turned things around for Flames goaltending prospects....this could work out ok? 

But it seems highly remote.

And the 6th...meh.

Aside from remote possibilities...yeah.   Austin Matthews is about the only silver lining (and personally that's a pretty big silver lining...but I doubt most on here would agree at the moment.)

Matthews is a center though is he not? 

Say we won the lottery, would it be worth trading down a spot to let someone else have Matthews and get a RW (which is our real main need) as well as a pick in another round which we could then flip for another player?

If you're trading from first overall, even to second, you would want more of a return than a pick in another round.

If Backstrom emerged into a coaching role and turned things around for Flames goaltending prospects....this could work out ok?

And the 6th...meh.

Aside from remote possibilities...yeah. Austin Matthews is about the only silver lining (and personally that's a pretty big silver lining...but I doubt most on here would agree at the moment.)

I don't get the negativity.

We had a player that wasn't going to play for us going forward for us, so we moved him to get an asset. Sure it's only a 6th but that is one more pick than we had yesterday. In the process we grabbed a goalie as means to make salaries work.

It's not like the team is pinning it's hopes and dreams on Backstrom. Treliving didn't even guarantee playing time. He said that he might get into some games we will see how things work out.

There are zero negatives to this situation.

Matthews is a center though is he not?

Say we won the lottery, would it be worth trading down a spot to let someone else have Matthews and get a RW (which is our real main need) as well as a pick in another round which we could then flip for another player?

No. I hate it when rebuilding teams use high end picks on secondary positions like wingers.

Matthews has a very high chance to be better than Monahan and Bennett. You draft Matthews and see how things play out and move one of the centers to the wing, or you trade the center that isn't working out. Centers retain their trade value better than wingers.

• Like 1

I don't get the negativity.

We had a player that wasn't going to play for us going forward for us, so we moved him to get an asset. Sure it's only a 6th but that is one more pick than we had yesterday. In the process we grabbed a goalie as means to make salaries work.

It's not like the team is pinning it's hopes and dreams on Backstrom. Treliving didn't even guarantee playing time. He said that he might get into some games we will see how things work out.

There are zero negatives to this situation.

The only potential negative for me is if we have to send Ortio back down as he is on an Emergency call-up and we now have another goalie on the rosater. But I am not sure if we do. Can anybody confirm?

If Backstrom emerged into  a coaching role and turned things around for Flames goaltending prospects....this could work out ok? 

And the 6th...meh.

Aside from remote possibilities...yeah.   Austin Matthews is about the only silver lining (and personally that's a pretty big silver lining...but I doubt most on here would agree at the moment.)

You're right we should have held onto Jones for no reason, just because the return was only a 6th round pick.

IF Backstrom can be decent we may have a starter to sign for 2 years who could play the #1 position until Gillies is ready. 

Backstrom is 38, only a year younger than Kiprusoff...    Age and injury have caught up with him...

The only potential negative for me is if we have to send Ortio back down as he is on an Emergency call-up and we now have another goalie on the rosater. But I am not sure if we do. Can anybody confirm?

I think we OK there, he was sent down and recalled today to make him eligible for AHL playoffs. Either way if we have to send him down as a paper transaction we have the roster spot to call him right back up.

And the 6th...meh.

What's wrong with a 6th?

Palat - 206th

Stone - 178th

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Shaw (5th)

Little Joe

You can always trade 2x6th rounders for a better pick.  You can add a 6th to an earlier pick to move up a few spots.  The plus here is we traded a guy that wasn't coming back for something and give a farm hand an opportunity to show his stuff.  Considering how well Hathaway played in his debut, I would say that is a win.

You're right we should have held onto Jones for no reason, just because the return was only a 6th round pick.

fine.....trade Jones for a 6th round pick then.  What did Backstrom have to do with it?

why the fascination with 3 barely NHL goalies on the roster all the time?

The thing with Jones...we don't have good RW's in our system.   It's actually a hard position for us to fill. 

He could have helped us, more than Backstrom could.

I'm no saying keep him....but we should understand that this is a bit of a tanking move.  It just is.   And I'm actually more ok with that, than most....but still not thrilled Backstrom was involved.

What's wrong with a 6th?

Palat - 206th

Stone - 178th

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Shaw (5th)

Little Joe

You can always trade 2x6th rounders for a better pick.  You can add a 6th to an earlier pick to move up a few spots.  The plus here is we traded a guy that wasn't coming back for something and give a farm hand an opportunity to show his stuff.  Considering how well Hathaway played in his debut, I would say that is a win.

Let's not seriously pretend we just traded Jones for one of those guys....

Anyway, it's a minor trade....not worth getting worked up about in either direction.

Pretty impressed with the responses on here....   I ran out of likes...I didn't know you could do that!

Ortio stunk up the joint last night...no question.

I was expecting a lynch mob this morning and got the exact opposite.   I had you all wrong! lol.

Last year, he had one stinker, and was banished.    I never felt right about that.  But maybe I just never had the same playoff fever last year (didn't think we had Stanley cup tools anyway yet).    I have no doubt that he feels like one bad game will be the end of his career.   You saw the desperation in him trying to get the one goal disallowed.   And after the ruling....he may as well have been pylon.

In his record in the minors/europe, with only a Very few recent exceptions, typically, he has Always been a Strong responder to a stinker.

Giving him that opportunity could potentially restore a lot of his lost confidence from decisions made in the past.   And then we can see what he's really made of.   In Europe, and in previous AHL years, he has been a strong third period closer.

In the NHL, and recently in the AHL, he's been the opposite.  It's got nothing to do with skills or talent or technique....it's a painfully obvious confidence issue.    Really happy to see all the support.  

And...I don't know if he's going to work out either.  All I've ever wanted was a proper and fair evaluation opportunity.

Here's hoping.

All of you were so supportive about getting Ortio back in net....All of you, that is, except for Hartley.  Once again, testing the definition of insanity.

If we don't see Ortio in net tommorrow.....Well, then that's that.   I suppose.