s4xon

A goalie option i've beomcing more intrigued about is JImmy Howard in Detroit. His contract sucks, (3 more years at 5.25/season) but I think you oculd get Detroit to eat part of that. He isn't getting dealt somewhere for full value, and if they ate 1.6 you could have him for 3.6 for 3 years. Thats decent value and you roll the dice that he gets back to the above avg starter level he was just a season or two ago. Worst, case you've got reasonably priced stability in net while you try and develop Gilles so you can bring in a decent backup at sat 2 mill or less and run with 2 goalies. 

Detroit being my "other" team, I would be perfectly fine trying to get Howard. I've never had a problem with him at all. I've seen him full on win games almost single-handedly many times. Chicago's 2013 cup went through Detroit and Howard almost took them out, losing in OT in game 7. I saw 2 games live and Howard was spectacular. The whole arena chanted his name repeatedly.

If Howard is on the block, it's not because he's not a really good NHL goalie, but because Petr Mrazek (2010 5th rd) is looking Top 3 elite at 23. Howard lost his seat to a goalie that would take the seat from 75-85% of all teams.

Mrazek's RFA, they'll be needing Howard's cash, without a doubt.

If you haven't seen much Mrazek, you might want to. Put Howard in, he could easily be Rinne, Bishop, Crawford etc. This kid is taking your job.

Good point to get them to retain salary, but we'll have to give up more than our crap.  

I'd think maybe a Hudler rental and upper D prospect.

Retaining salary comes at a cost. Howard's value can't be underrated.

Calgary's goalie transitioning out of Kiprusoff is pretty much a failure.

For Detroit, if you're playing pairs,

Datsyuk

Larkin

Zetterberg

no 4th (Abdelkader?).

Hudler is a perfect fit.

I don't think Howard has any value and that's why I think you can get him cheap. He hasn't been a decent started for two seasons and other than calgary and Buffalo who is looking for a 5 mill goalie? Detroits going to find a pretty bare market for Howard which is why I think you can probable get Howard with salary retained and not have to give up much.

I don't think Howard has any value and that's why I think you can get him cheap. He hasn't been a decent started for two seasons and other than calgary and Buffalo who is looking for a 5 mill goalie? Detroits going to find a pretty bare market for Howard which is why I think you can probable get Howard with salary retained and not have to give up much.

That might be worth it. We'd probably have to give out as much cap for a UFA.

So..the season is in Ortios hands? Yikes!..Hiller looked pretty bad against the Coyotes. That weak 1st goal killed us early on. I can't see Hiller sustaining this team through a miracle playoff push. It's Ortios show to steal now and I don't feel his chances are much better right now. How serious would it be if Ortio goes off for rest of the season? What do we resign him at before he takes us to arbitration??

So..the season is in Ortios hands? Yikes!..Hiller looked pretty bad against the Coyotes. That weak 1st goal killed us early on. I can't see Hiller sustaining this team through a miracle playoff push. It's Ortios show to steal now and I don't feel his chances are much better right now. How serious would it be if Ortio goes off for rest of the season? What do we resign him at before he takes us to arbitration??

Hey, we might get better odds at a 1-3 pick.

Hey, we might get better odds at a 1-3 pick.

Lol that's real talk! Glass half full right? It seems like everything is going wrong for the Flames now , who knows maybe Ortio becomes the best goalie from now until seasons end? Ok that's not going to happen but atleast we'll get a better idea of what the kid's capable of
  • Like 1

This is Ortio's time to prove what he has. 

If he does well? We can sign him for about 2 mil for next year (due to his lack of experience and inconsistent AHL numbers) and see if we have an NHL goalie in him next year. 

If he does badly? We get a better chance at a lottery win and know how to cut our losses on him. 

Regardless, I'd like to see Ortio get most of the remaining games this year. But realisticaly we all know Hiller will bar another injury to our goalie. (someone wanna fall on him?)

This is Ortio's time to prove what he has. 

If he does well? We can sign him for about 2 mil for next year (due to his lack of experience and inconsistent AHL numbers) and see if we have an NHL goalie in him next year. 

If he does badly? We get a better chance at a lottery win and know how to cut our losses on him. 

Regardless, I'd like to see Ortio get most of the remaining games this year. But realisticaly we all know Hiller will bar another injury to our goalie. (someone wanna fall on him?)

If Ortio does really bad... we could strap the pads on Russell. I'm sure he'd love to have a lot more padding for shotblocks. It'd be like going back to goalies of the old days, a throwback style. Maybe some of you remember those years eh? I don't.

I'm just going to put this here.

“OK, they fire the puck from the blue line. Chief usually yelling ‘block the shot’ at the defensemen. They doesn’t have the goalie gear, but they have to block the shot. So who is more crazy, me or the defensemen? Who is more weird?” ~Bryz

• Like 1

If Ortio does really bad... we could strap the pads on Russell. I'm sure he'd love to have a lot more padding for shotblocks. It'd be like going back to goalies of the old days, a throwback style. Maybe some of you remember those years eh? I don't.

“OK, they fire the puck from the blue line. Chief usually yelling ‘block the shot’ at the defensemen. They doesn’t have the goalie gear, but they have to block the shot. So who is more crazy, me or the defensemen? Who is more weird?” ~Bryz

When I used to work up in Edmonton I actually ran into The Bryz in the south side Costco...he's a jeans and runners type of guy lol. I'm actually all for a poor goalie situation right now..if it makes our D men play with more accountability and focus all the better.

When I used to work up in Edmonton I actually ran into The Bryz in the south side Costco...he's a jeans and runners type of guy lol. I'm actually all for a poor goalie situation right now..if it makes our D men play with more accountability and focus all the better.

Really? He seems like a hilarious guy... but maybe not that great a 'tender. His quotes are the best.

Our goaltending is looking very suspect currently. Maybe we resurrect Leland Irving for insurance.... Seriously though, there doesn't seem to be much to choose from on the open market. Do you get a Cam Ward for a cheaper contract because of experience and wait for Gillies to mature or trade a 2nd/3rd round pick for a quality back up and hope he turns out to be Kipper? It looks like we will be resigning Hiller for another year at $3 million. I'm not sure if this is good enough for a contending team in a couple of years. Maybe we need to offer Montreal 4 first round picks for Price. LOL

Our goaltending is looking very suspect currently. Maybe we resurrect Leland Irving for insurance.... Seriously though, there doesn't seem to be much to choose from on the open market. Do you get a Cam Ward for a cheaper contract because of experience and wait for Gillies to mature or trade a 2nd/3rd round pick for a quality back up and hope he turns out to be Kipper? It looks like we will be resigning Hiller for another year at $3 million. I'm not sure if this is good enough for a contending team in a couple of years. Maybe we need to offer Montreal 4 first round picks for Price. LOL

Heck no! We do NOT need to sign Hiller, especially at $3 mil. Leland... didn't he go to Europe?

Also no to the Price suggestion, but that was a joke so....

A goalie option i've beomcing more intrigued about is JImmy Howard in Detroit. His contract sucks, (3 more years at 5.25/season) but I think you oculd get Detroit to eat part of that. He isn't getting dealt somewhere for full value, and if they ate 1.6 you could have him for 3.6 for 3 years. Thats decent value and you roll the dice that he gets back to the above avg starter level he was just a season or two ago. Worst, case you've got reasonably priced stability in net while you try and develop Gilles so you can bring in a decent backup at sat 2 mill or less and run with 2 goalies.

DISGUSTING! Jimmys a choke artist and we want absolutely no part in him. Problem with jimmy is you dont know if youre gonna get the top 10 goaltender jimmy or the bantam aa goaltender jimmy. He is someone you want zero part in especially with that insane contract.

If Howard is still good I would watch for Babcock to try and have TOR do a deal for him.

Howard is absolutely not our guy. Very average and I believe outside of Detroit he turns into Chris Osgood. Way too expensive

In a nutshell,if you are going to pay elite money to an "elite" goalie..that tender bett

er be capable of making this current team a contender the day he unpacks his bags.im not sure that goalie exists in this league right now.

Right now I say we stick with Ramo and develop our kids.he can carry a heavy workload..gives us a chance to win almost every start..since his demotion almost every game we did lose was due to other weaknesses like poor defence..no scoring etc.

Shelling out big $ hoping for the next kipper will only hurt our progression right now.

Just to be clear, I'm only interested in Howard if Detroit eats salary. I don't think Detroit can move him at full price so I suspect they will either have to take a contract back, or eat money. If they eat 1.6 of his deal for the remaining 3 years you have Howard for 3.6 for 3 years. You are going to be hard pressed to find a starting goalie who will play for less than 4 these days.

Not the number 1 option, but an option IMO.

Just to be clear, I'm only interested in Howard if Detroit eats salary. I don't think Detroit can move him at full price so I suspect they will either have to take a contract back, or eat money. If they eat 1.6 of his deal for the remaining 3 years you have Howard for 3.6 for 3 years. You are going to be hard pressed to find a starting goalie who will play for less than 4 these days.

Not the number 1 option, but an option IMO.

I am really unsure about Howard, especially for 3 more years. That being said he might be the best option available this off season. With Stamkos leaving Tampa in the off season, I doubt they will part with Bishop. Varlamov had a rough start to the season but has rebounded well, I would be surprised if Colorado put all their faith in Berra.

I am thinking that maybe Russell(2nd overall for shots blocked) has more shots blocked than some goalies..  :lol:

• Like 1

I realize you were joking. especially after looking up his last years stats in the KHL:

134ed2e4d2b45330721652404f5d372b.png

I am thinking that maybe Russell(2nd overall for shots blocked) has more shots blocked than some goalies..  :lol:

Downside is he's not a tall guy by GK standards. He might be able to make up for it with his on ice acrobatics and ability to cause pucks to gravitate toward him, blocking them without intending or realizing it. He just needs to work on his rebound control eh.

Downside is he's not a tall guy by GK standards. He might be able to make up for it with his on ice acrobatics and ability to cause pucks to gravitate toward him, blocking them without intending or realizing it. He just needs to work on his rebound control eh.

Or we could just play 6 players at all times with no tendy, just have Russell transition to goalie when we are in our own end. We try to block so many shots anyways might as well have 6 players doing it instead of 5.

Again around here, it's treated like free candy for Raymond.

Detroit is not likely looking for a big contract coming back, but they will get value for him, especially if they are eating salary. I'd guess taking on salary would be a year of Smid for them, not retaining Howard salary.

No point in giving him away, Dats is retiring pdq, their cap is fine.

It'll take Hudler and Smid in the give and take, maybe a middling pick our way.

We are awesome at under-valuing anyone not on the Flames.

It sure wouldn't hurt our team to have an 8 yr Detroit vet back there. He hates the same teams we hate. Detroit moved to the East. Howard's a Western Conference goalie used to going toe-to-toe with his western counterparts.

I guarantee Anaheim and Chicago would hate us.

It's not a panic move for them.

So...after today whats the over-under of Ortio actually getting a few consistent starts to see what he really has?

Also, best on Hiller having a really hard time getting a contract next year?

As much as I had hope for Ortio he has not shown he deserves consistent starts this season. Last time he played at a decent NHL level of play was

8a35cd4c30e86c76b05fe41f978c9b70.png