s4xon

Trade Ramo up. Ortio is gonna prob be signed to a 1 way contract next year. Unless we want 3G we have no choice but to trade Ramo. We should do it come the draft though. Hiller plus Ortio=fire. we can have Ortio play 4 amazing games then give him a brake with Hiller 

I am pretty sure he is already on a 1 way for next year.

I think he signed a 2 year contract with it being 2 way this season and 1 way next season.

Then again I am getting older and my fading memory fails me one or two times a decade.

I think its pretty much a foregone conclusion regardless of what the contracts are (not sure how to check that without cap geek now), that Hiller and Ortio are our rotation next year and Ortio will be a starter in 2-3 years.

Hiller and Ramo don't have the best stats, but both are capable of stealing a game. Sadly both let in the occasional soft goal which is what hurts their stats.

Are they the best goalie duo in the leeague? no. Are they servicible enough to get us through the season and possibly a round or two of the playoffs? yes.

another pathetic  performance by our goaltender. We need to strengthen that position. It's this team's weak spot 

1st goal goes off Cogs, missed defensive assignment and poor line change

2nd goal again no chance missed assignment

3rd goal I will agree that one was on Hiller

4th Bad give away by Backs,

5th Goal bad decision on Russell, another missed assignment

6th Goal empty net.

This was not on Hiller, I will agree it was not his best performance but the team was horrific in front of him. Outside of the 3rd goal he was left on his own.

Yeah it got ugly fast. I was thinking while watching this take place is the reason we need to get bigger and better. Teams such as ANA, SJ, LA and CHI all have that ability to overwhelm our team at times. I know we have held our own against these guys but this will become more evident with playoff hockey.

My vote on our goalie situation would be to keep Ramo, trade Hiller and bring in Ortio for 2015/16. Hiller has experience which was needed this year as a stabilizer, he is good not great and has the dropsies. Ramo has provided flashes of Kipper-like play but needs to play. Ortio is ready for big time next year and with him and Ramo we would have a great tandem.

re-sign

5282bfe206e8a8777aeff3b145d22d80.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

resign

b911303668832f88de4e43462246a16d.png

amazing what a difference little dash can make......

Lol! Good one! How true..

Maybe we can trade for Crawford real cheap. I mean Chicago must be very unhappy with their goaltending situation, and looking for a real nhl quality nhl tender after Crawford proved last night he doesnt belong in the league, whiffing on a center ice shot and all.

Maybe we can trade for Crawford real cheap. I mean Chicago must be very unhappy with their goaltending situation, and looking for a real nhl quality nhl tender after Crawford proved last night he doesnt belong in the league, whiffing on a center ice shot and all.

Do you suppose this has anything to do with Mandela?

Love.

• Like 1

1st goal goes off Cogs, missed defensive assignment and poor line change

2nd goal again no chance missed assignment

3rd goal I will agree that one was on Hiller

4th Bad give away by Backs,

5th Goal bad decision on Russell, another missed assignment

6th Goal empty net.

This was not on Hiller, I will agree it was not his best performance but the team was horrific in front of him. Outside of the 3rd goal he was left on his own.

While im usually the first to protect a goalie behind the play of the team, and each of your points are correct in terms of bad team play not exactly helping his cause, that was definitely an egg laid by hiller in the 3rd.

Really curious if he was playing with a new trapper though, seemed he couldnt close his mitt, and once anaheim noticed something and started attacking his catcher side he was done.typically his glove is a strong point.

If that is the case, still not an excuse, practice is for equipment break in, not games. But it definitely looked stiff

Some of last night is on the coach. If that was Ramo in net he would have been pulled. Hartley has more patience with some players.

On another note, sounds like Ortio is hurt. That is huge for Adirondack who have fallen out of a playoff spot. It also outs the breaks on a potential Ramo trade.

While im usually the first to protect a goalie behind the play of the team, and each of your points are correct in terms of bad team play not exactly helping his cause, that was definitely an egg laid by hiller in the 3rd.

Really curious if he was playing with a new trapper though, seemed he couldnt close his mitt, and once anaheim noticed something and started attacking his catcher side he was done.typically his glove is a strong point.

If that is the case, still not an excuse, practice is for equipment break in, not games. But it definitely looked stiff

Yes, plus his rebound control all night was off too. Was it a case of playing old team jitters? I made a comment in the game-day thread to pull him, but it wasn't necessarily due to just his play, it was to shake things up and get a different view. Like in the Boston game when they switched Ramo. Ramo let in one bad goal that game, and was pulled. 

This wasn't Hiller's best game. There was that goal where, I think on Backlund's giveaway it went to him and he fumbled covering the puck and it bounced out and they scored. 

The team was weak and two examples were on Backlund's play skating in front as well as when Hudler didn't get the puck out when he was at the line. They mailed in that second half and were already packing for their 7 game road trip. 

Pat Steinberg (@Fan960Steinberg) tweeted at 0:06 PM on Sat, Feb 21, 2015:

Brad Treliving says Joni Ortio is likely out 6-8 weeks with a lower body injury sustained last night.

It's a high ankle sprain. These things take time especially for a goalie. Tough break for the Addy Flames, this really hurts their playoff chances.

Last night is a perfect example of why the Ducks let Hiller go and why I think the Flames should go with Ramo. But Hiller for whatever reason is Harleys favorite. With Ortio injured its highly unlikely Ramo is traded without another goalie coming back. Seems to just be too many moving parts then to happen at the deadline. 

Last night is a perfect example of why the Ducks let Hiller go and why I think the Flames should go with Ramo. But Hiller for whatever reason is Harleys favorite. With Ortio injured its highly unlikely Ramo is traded without another goalie coming back. Seems to just be too many moving parts then to happen at the deadline. 

What?

Typical Flames fan, 1 night of misfortune, "that's it, you're a bum".

Go cheer for your glorious Pens, boarding off.

• Like 1

What?

Typical Flames fan, 1 night of misfortune, "that's it, you're a bum".

Go cheer for your glorious Pens, boarding off.

Florida is another example of recent memory. Hiller has a habit of letting in a soft goal at bad times and got beat out by 2 different goalies last year for the Ducks, who are one of the top teams in the NHL now. If he got beat out by a rookie in the playoffs last year what makes you think he should be the goalie for the Flames?

Florida is another example of recent memory. Hiller has a habit of letting in a soft goal at bad times and got beat out by 2 different goalies last year for the Ducks, who are one of the top teams in the NHL now. If he got beat out by a rookie in the playoffs last year what makes you think he should be the goalie for the Flames?

Because he's been the main piece of a tandem that has us knocking on the playoffs.you don't pull off 3rd period comebacks without slamming your own door.

Mike Vernon was the king of "one soft goal per game " yet without him no cup in '89

Every goaltender let's in softies,even kipper had some beauties.

The problem with goaltenders is every mistake is magnified.your best scorer doesn't score every game,Norris trophy winners probably get burned on at least one play per game but it's not the end of the world.any time a goalie makes a mistake a red light goes on and 20,000 people boo or cheer

If you think for one second we are in this position with Leland Irving and Joey Macdonald you're mistaken.

Somebody else said earlier and we're 100% correct that goalies are a reflection of their system, Devan Dubnyk being the perfect current example.

The reason kipper was so good here so quick was the flames at the time were famous for getting behind early in the first then losing a one goal game. Kipper got us out of the first period.

Right now we have that same problem but actually have the firepower to come back,but these goalies slam the door.for every goal,remember 5 other players need to make a mistake first.

• Like 2

So, with Orito being injured and out of action for 6 weeks, Ramo obviously won't be traded by the deadline unless we receive a goalie in return.

Does Ramo get offered a new contract before he becomes a UFA July 1?

Orito is on a one way contract next season and could backup Hiller, but who will play in the AHL?

There's no guarantee that Gillies will forgo his senior year to join the Flames farm team.

McDonald is 3 years away at least.

Our goalie prospect cupboard is almost empty.

I wonder if Calgary looks to add some minor league goaltending depth at the deadline. If Ramo or Hiller get hurt, with Ortio out Thiessen would likely be called up. LaBarbera or Leighton could likely be acquired fairly cheap. I would also like to see the Flames draft another goalie this June. Ortio is basically an NHL goalie so he is no longer a prospect. McDonald and Gillies are both 3 or 4 years away. Perhaps drafting a European goalie who is playing pro in Europe could be beneficial as with Ortio likely in Calgary the Flames won't have a goalie in Stockton. I understand Gillies could sign but I wouldn't bank on it.

The Bryz was on waivers.....

Might make sense to pick him up now, if we were going to trade Ramo.  The other option is to wait till he clears and trade for him in the AHL.  He could sit there as a starter ion Addy, and if we needed him, would be available to join the Flames.

He's crazy, but you have t o be a little insane to stand in the way of 100 mph slap shots.  :)